Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18

Author Topic: Beginner's Mafia LVI: The Messengers - Town Victory  (Read 28719 times)

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
Re: Beginner's Mafia LVI: The Messengers - Day 1: Believing Drunken Rants (9/9)
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2015, 08:20:11 am »

Moonlit: I meant that a first post gives us more info if they're scum, so townies might not want to do it. Scum often hop straight into random tactics at the start.
One wheel short of a wagon

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 08, 2015, 08:47:51 am »

It's 2:30 AM. I should be working on the essay that's due in six hours, not poking around on bay12. The fact that I haven't posted since this technically yesterday morning doesn't mean I'm "choosing not to engage", it means I'm otherwise occupied. Grumble grumble.
This will teach me to not at least give a passing glance at people's activity levels in the forum in general before calling people out on not being here (which isn't terribly productive anyway, so no loss). 
Good luck on your paper!

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: September 08, 2015, 10:08:23 am »

@Moonlit I could ask you the same question, why did you put a vote on Kilakan.  The answer it's not to save Kilakan, it's because there isn't much point to double up votes in the RVS stage and that's what you happened to do.

Unless of course we are planning to lynch the IC's to which I say Why?
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 08, 2015, 10:47:37 am »

Lynching ICs is a good way to make scum win due to noobish confusion not being resolved, isn't it? They're more likely to be town, therefore it's better to not kill the experienced players that are most likely on our side?

Then again, perhaps they could do more damage as scum, I don't know.

Frostmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just your average eldritch feline. :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: September 08, 2015, 10:54:54 am »

Griffion: What questions do I not care about? If you're talking about the experience question, I asked that partly out of curiosity, and partly to  see how they played in previous games, as whatever alignment you were.
Anyways, why did you vote an IC? Did you use random.org or some such like that to choose a target, or...?

Moonlit: Huh. So you had practically no reason to vote for kilakan, in other words. Why go for a target someone else had already voted for?

NJW2000: You see, if Moonlit is scum, than the more answers--however dumb they may be--mean the more content to go off of if he's lynched, and the more content means the more ways to see if we could catch his scum buddy. Heck, even if he's town, his past content may still be useful. However, if you think he's so scummy, why aren't you voting him, NJW2000? The reason why I'm not voting Moonlit is mainly because of my previous game, in which the people who flailed the hardest were, in fact, town.

I believe that you're referring to active-lurking, which is posting lots of contentless content (...if that explanation makes any sense). And yeah, I kinda agree with that assessment, though I do want to note that those EBWOPs (a.k.a. Edit By Way Of Post-s) are effectively edits without actually editing, so they're kind of part of the post above them. Still, not counting this post, that gives me three posts with minimal content, and that's just not good, so I'm sorry about that. As for why those posts are so chatty, that's just because I...like being chatty...? No real reason for their chattiness.

Also, I do want to mention that ICs can give advice after they've died.

fillipk: You mentioned in your first post that you've played with Moonlit before (and yes, I am quite aware that others of you have also played with Moonlit), and that you got him lynched when he was obviously town in hindsight. Is his play in this game similar to his play in the previous game?

Anyone, but especially the ICs: What do you think of Moonlit's play so far? Do newbs of various alignments tend to flail like this?

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: September 08, 2015, 11:10:48 am »

Frostmoon: Ok, I'll vote for Moonlit then, seeing as I think he might be scum?/s

You're telling me to vote for a player you're pursuing but not voting for, while he hasn't even understood my first normal question? You nearly got me to, I admit... however, I have been finding you somewhat scummier, and thought his tactic was just noob-flailing, having said as much in my first post... I don't think he's that scummy, while your behaviour seems more than a little odd, especially seeing as you answered my first question binding it up with Moonlit's and a question for me, saying that you just want more information about him. He's RV-ing, this seems obvious, you didn't say why you wouldn't wait until it was time for the votess to be counted to judge his actions.

So that's why I'm Voting Frostmoon.

Also, @FilipK, just out of interest, what were specifically the towny things you saw him do? Just RVing?

Frostmoon

• Bay Watcher
  • Just your average eldritch feline. :3
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 08, 2015, 11:56:56 am »

NJW: (can I call you that? :3)
blantantly obvious that his [Moonlit's] play has been noobishly scummy
(Emphasis mine~)
The reason why I asked you about why you weren't voting for Moonlit was because, in your very own words, you said that his play was noobishly scummy, which, ya know, implies that you have a scum lean on him. In other words, I thought that you found him scummy, and was wondering why you didn't vote (or even FoS) him.

I'm pursing Moonlit because first of all, his "bandwagon" RVS vote was so far the most notable thing to happen in this game. Second of all, look, town only really has two tools to find scum (excluding power roles, of course): voting, and asking questions. I only like voting personally when I have a scum lean on somebody, and even then, I prefer FoSing to pressure them. The thing is, I find that I only really get those tells from asking questions and pursuing cases. So far, I actually have a bit of a newb town lean on Moonlit, which is why I'm not voting (or FoSing) him; however, to make sure that I'm not throwing scum away as town, I'm asking him questions.  I'm asking other players about Moonlit because they may bring up good points.

you didn't say why you wouldn't wait until it was time for the votess to be counted to judge his actions.
Also, I'm, um, a bit confused by this line. Could you please explain this to me? :3

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: September 08, 2015, 12:02:23 pm »

He has said that he's randomly leaping on people, Frostmoon, if that's what RV-ing or whatever he claimsed to be doing is. Thus it's not really a bandwagon unless he contributes to getting someone killed without good explanation. It's just dramatic play in order to get more info. Oh, and "Noobishly scummy"? Yes, that was unclear of me. However, I asked you why it made you point at him, and said a bunch of good explanations for it, noobish being one of them. I still find your leaping to Moonlit's defence a bit odd when I attacked you, so my vote is staying there due to the oddness of your answers.

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 08, 2015, 02:51:27 pm »

Frostmoon
Griffion: What questions do I not care about?
This one you never followed up on after it was ignored:
How does the number of players heavily change the feel of the game?
Not that it was a hard-hitting question that you can expect high returns on, but you value your questions as your most important tool, so why would you ignore someone ignoring your question?

Anyways, why did you vote an IC? Did you use random.org or some such like that to choose a target, or...?
Because they are an IC, obviously.
Nope, entirely premeditated.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 08, 2015, 03:21:14 pm »

Oh, Moonlit, conversational but anyways, sorry if I talked about you as a noob a lot, I assumed most non-ICs here were on their first game for some reason.

fillipk

• Bay Watcher
  • Everything is going as planned
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 08, 2015, 03:42:25 pm »

Quote from: NJW2000
Also, @FillipK, just out of interest, what were specifically the towny things you saw him do? Just RVing?
Just some posts that made me believe they were townie but that is the other game soooo

fillipk: You mentioned in your first post that you've played with Moonlit before (and yes, I am quite aware that others of you have also played with Moonlit), and that you got him lynched when he was obviously town in hindsight. Is his play in this game similar to his play in the previous game?

Anyone, but especially the ICs: What do you think of Moonlit's play so far? Do newbs of various alignments tend to flail like this?
So in hindsight they were obvious town I just missed the posts, @ your other question, no they are more focused in this game, and yes newbs flail, check out C++ for proof.

Moonlit: Huh. So you had practically no reason to vote for kilakan, in other words. Why go for a target someone else had already voted for?
One vote isn't much pressure, you can tell by the way Griffionday responded to my post. So the whole point I voted for him, is that someone's already voting for him. He seems to be lurking however, and he was on today at 1 o'clock pm or something.

NJW2000: RV means random vote. After all, it was the RVS (random voting stage).

Filipk: Similar to Frostmoon, I thought the whole point was to double up votes, because if everyone's voting for a different person, how exactly does a single vote that has no chance of getting them lynched apply pressure?
So its not really doubling up on votes right away its more asking questions and getting answers and then when something seems suspicious the pressure them with votes and accusations and such

so as to that @Everyone would you rather be scum partners with an IC or a newb and why?

I would rather have an IC because they are better and less likely to get caught and therefore more likely to win for me.
Giving waitlisted people the ability to murder non-responsive players was a great idea. Need to do that more often.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: September 08, 2015, 03:56:18 pm »

IC every time, how would a noob help? Ever?

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: September 08, 2015, 04:06:58 pm »

Just putting this out there as several people seem set on going back to RSV which is a terrible, unnecessary, and anti-town idea:

I think Moonlit Shadow's vote was the single most brilliant thing to happen in this game.  It was not flailing, it was not "scummy", and it certainly wasn't something that only a noob would do.  I would be quite proud of that gambit were I the one who pulled it off, and am eager to see the results of it.

tntey

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes Fishbone for its ska
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: September 08, 2015, 04:08:42 pm »

Griffionday: Why do you say that?
Speaking of lowest intelligence, that reminds me of the fact that it's probably your first time in prison. Don't worry, I can give you some tips, having spent some time in a few myself. The best way to make friends here is to drop the soap during shower time. Try it, I'm sure you'll love making friends like that!

Griffionday

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: September 08, 2015, 04:16:11 pm »

Griffionday: Why do you say that?
Because it's true?  Which sentences in particular are you asking about? (you can quote and delete the sentences you don't wish to address)

I am waiting on an answer to this question btw.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 18