Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: TomeNet — MMORPG roguelike game  (Read 26588 times)

tangar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
TomeNet — MMORPG roguelike game
« on: September 24, 2015, 01:49:17 pm »

TomeNet (http://www.tomenet.eu/) — online multiplayer roguelike or just MMORPG-rogulike game.

Its wild mix of oldschool singleplayer ultrahardcore roguelike and modern MMORPG setting. So its the very best place to enjoy roguelike with a friends (better, then World of Warcraft, I can say).

CLICK to enlarge screenshot

Roguelike features:
- Random levels generation (btw TomeNet has a lot of advanced technologies for rogulike games - Day/night changes, four seasons, weather, sound and music, powerful macro system & etc)
- Permadeath (but also you could also play "everlasting" character if you wish)
- Huge amount of game actions (kick, throw, search, dig & etc)
- Freedom. Not linear walkthrough of the game. There is even no walkthrough - gameplay is almost endless!
- Hack’n’Slash, great amount of items, monsters.. and other roguelike features. HUGE amounts of situations. For example, at my first day in-game I weared cursed ring of teleportation and several kind players gathered to help me to remove it. It was awesome adventure  :lol: I even got that on video, but its in Russian.

MMORPG features:
- real-time. Don't worry - time passes slower on deeper levels keeping the real-time experience at an optimum.
- PvE in group. Fight with your friends back to back! If you are solo player (as me) its very challenging (hard, but possible) to go alone in the dark.
- PvP - dueling and even PK (full-loot) and stealing! If you don't like PvP - you are not forced to do it. You have to create special character for PvP mode :)
- Economy. Trade, barter, create your own shop or even shop empire!
- Communication. Find friends there! Build your own house or even create village with your friends!
- ...and much, MUCH more

CLICK to enlarge screenshot

TomeNet is totally free game with open-source for Windows, Linux and Mac OS X.

TomeNet information and history @ roguebasin wiki

Btw I making live stream videos of my adventures @ TomeNet almost every day (it starts 22:00 or 23:00.. or sometimes 00:00 +3 UTC) at my youtube channel

And as a final word - I've made my video compilation of my deaths @ TomeNet :) Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9vOYsdItwA

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: TomeNet — MMORPG roguelike game
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2015, 01:55:15 pm »

... not sure if this is drive by spam or not, but for what it's worth, we did have a ToMENet thread a ways back. It's, uh. Well, it's kinda' dead for a reason. Gets mentioned every once in a long while, but eh. Never been terrible much interest, so far as I've noticed.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

tangar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2015, 06:55:12 am »

Sorry I didn't recognize that there is another thread about TomeNet! But still its always good to remember about great game :)

I'm live streaming TomeNet everyday, but I can't post new videos there (too lazy :P ). Anyway I wanna share this epic moment (remember that I've got permadeath character hehe):
Ancient Black Dragon vs 31 rogue. I rewinded to certain moment my loong stream:

https://youtu.be/oltBnJZ3RWM?t=34m21s

Also I'm writing Russian guide to TomeNet (today I finished pages about feelings and traps - http://tangar.info/tomenet-guide )

tangar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2015, 02:34:05 pm »

Yeasterday I login to make quick run around Mirkwood.. it was huge mistake to go to play TomeNet when you are sleepy and tired... HELL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r3hTVTfwS_E

LordBucket

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2015, 03:37:43 pm »

As both a former ToME module developer and a player of MMOs, I would describe ToMENet as "meh." If you want a multiplayer roguelike, yes, it's probably your best candidate. If you like ToME 2, the single player roguelike that ToMENet is based on, then definitely give the multiplayer version a try. But I found that it simply lacked staying power. If you want a good old school roguelike, but got bored of of the repetitiveness and simplicity of angband, yet couldn't stand the bizarre randomness of Nethack, then try ToME 2. It's my favorite roguelike of all time. ToMENet is, in my opinion, not as good. But it's multiplayer. Yes, play it if you want a multiplayer roguelike. But don't play it expecting it to be such an awesome game that everybody has to try it once.

tangar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2015, 09:09:03 am »

TomeNet has more then enough of staying power. Main problem (and beauty) of TomeNet - its complexity of this game becaus of REAL-TIME. Its really another type of gameplay and not all people could understand and get used to it fast. So people die often and of course some of them quitting game.

Of couse singleplayer roguelikes are great. I enjoy playing Nethack. But TomeNet is very differecnt. Its another genre - MMO-roguelike. Its not JUST multiplayer roguelike. Its full scale MMO with economy system, with PvP and lot of communication options.

For example yesterday I opened shop. Not one shop, but three. Jewelery store, arrows and ammunition store and misc weapons * armour mall. Its great feeling when another players buying your staff :) And also great to look for items which you need in another players shops.

----

Yestarday we had Master Mindcrafter epic battle, Grave of master lich & and stinky pit full of dragons:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cqnlF3lsPDI

tangar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2015, 10:36:43 am »

THERE AND BACK?..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_mEe8tEEfLw

It was my best char yet, managed to get to lvl 36. Was quite careful. Instadeath :)

quinnr

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2015, 10:53:00 am »

I loved TomeNet for a short time, but on top of the whole "new roguelike" learning curve, it also has a ton of multiplayer/realtime specific stuff to get a hang of, so it can take some time to get 'good' at. It's a lot of fun though, I'd recommend it to people looking for something to play, who also like roguelikes, for sure. I'll have to pick it up again when I have the time.
To exist or not exist, that is the query. For whether it is more optimal of the CPU to endure the viruses and spam of outragous fortune, or to something something something.

tangar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2015, 04:15:22 am »

True, learning curve is quite steep there.

---

I've decided to start a archer. Vampire. I think I'll be first archer vampire ever (cause its extreamly hard to feed if you kill everything from the distance).

Also archer has _very_ dangerous gameplay - you cant go melee, needs a lot of blinking and kiting.

But I though my first adventure would be easy... I've just created new character - what could happen to me? I was mistaken. Very.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1bLnKAdX4ew

tangar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2015, 12:05:03 pm »

Dive it a try! :) It was changed a lot since that times :)

---

Yestarday my archer lurked in Orc Caves.. It was nice hunt.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyaBpxkwxog

tangar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 10, 2015, 01:06:12 pm »

tangar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2015, 11:44:21 am »

MasterCyria

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2015, 01:11:01 pm »

Is there anyway to add a tileset? Or do you have to use ASCII?

Astral

• Bay Watcher
  • [ENTER_TENTACLES:RIBCAGE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2015, 10:38:30 pm »

I think the phrase that's missing for this type of game is MUD or MOO, depending on how they made it.

Sidenote: I've never understood why Youtubers want to show their face over the game they're playing, to me it's just needlessly distracting.
What Darwin was too polite to say, my friends, is that we came to rule the Earth not because we were the smartest, or even the meanest, but because we have always been the craziest, most murderous motherfuckers in the jungle. -Stephen King's Cell
It's viable to keep a dead rabbit in the glove compartment to take a drink every now and then.

Niveras

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2015, 04:50:33 am »

Is there anyway to add a tileset? Or do you have to use ASCII?

Been a while since I played, but I don't think there is any tileset support for it. Or if there is, I don't remember seeing any graphic tilesets advertised in the tomenet forums.

Honestly, for myself, who uses tilesets for every other roguelike I played, I somehow didn't have a problem with the default ASCII in tomenet. There were still some issues with distinguishing deadly enemies from same-glyph-but-different-colour-flavour in the mid-game but that's not much different from remembering that (to use a DCSS example) a smoke demon is more dangerous than a sun demon.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 05:00:12 am by Niveras »
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9