Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 163

Author Topic: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)  (Read 197152 times)

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Non-EU europe thread (with Russia, Israel and Australia included)
« Reply #1080 on: October 29, 2016, 10:58:19 am »

Ah, the beauty of Darwinian natural selection at work! With a helping hand from humans.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Guardian G.I.

• Bay Watcher
  • "And it ducks, and it covers!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1081 on: October 29, 2016, 11:23:35 am »

Not only can nuking combat global warming, the side benefit is that the irradiated areas will not be trampled by human feet for thousands of years.
Ironically, while worldwide wildlife has decreased by nearly 60% over 40 years, Biodiversity and animal populations have improved dramatically over the same timespan, in Tsjernobyl.
It is too simplistic to say that Chernobyl has been kind to wildlife; it has been kind to wildlife most resistant to radiation. Birds for example are completely fucked, their eggs laid are too fragile to sit on thus they all die. This leaves a big empty space that outsider birds think is wonderful, at least until they die to death too
This leaves a new empty space for more birds to pleasantly find their premature death with their childrens' only respite being they were fortunate to die in their shells
Some cool stories by Chernobyl liquidators claimed that high radiation levels in the immediate aftermath of the disaster killed off all small birds in and around Chernobyl, such as sparrows. People involved in decontamination procedures reported seeing hundreds of dead birds strewn all over some areas.

Scientists also allegedly tried to plant pine tree seeds from the Red Forest (a stretch of forest near the station that was heavily hit by fallout; one of the most irradiated areas in the exclusion zone) in a clean area to test the effects of radiation. The end result was some malformed pine trees with spiral needles.

Ukrainian scientist Vyacheslav Konovalov, who researched the effects of fallout on newborn animals and children in late 1980s-early 1990s, reported and collected such examples of mutations as eyeless pigs, eight-legged horse, two-headed three-eared calf, four-horned cow head, etc. I won't even talk about his enormous collection of stillborn, horrifyingly deformed babies.

Guardian G.I. is a credit to the forum and mild averter of WWIII
Too bad people and politicians who don't double-check information will just take it at face-value. I can definitely imagine Hillary droning on about Russian nuclear threat to Europe and America like it's 1962.
this means that a donation of 30 dollars to a developer that did not deliver would equal 4.769*10^-14 hitlers stolen from you
that's like half a femtohitler
and that is terrible
Sigtext

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #1082 on: October 29, 2016, 11:30:20 am »

The end result was some malformed pine trees with spiral needles.
Uzumaki...Uzumaki...
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Ukrainian Ranger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1083 on: October 29, 2016, 01:18:24 pm »

Ismael Galván of Paris-Sud University and colleagues captured 152 birds representing 16 species from sites within and near the Chernobyl exclusion zone. They took blood samples and analyzed the birds’ levels of antioxidants, how much their DNA had been damaged and their body condition. They also measured the levels of the pigment pheomelanin in the birds’ feathers.

When the researchers compared birds captured in higher radiation areas with those in lower radiation spots, they found something surprising: The birds from the higher radiation zones were generally in better condition, and they had higher levels of antioxidants. These molecules can help cells by stopping the reaction through which ionizing radiation damages DNA.

“To our knowledge, this represents the first evidence of adaptation to ionizing radiation in wild populations of animals,” the researchers write.
Evolution will find a way. Keep in mind that 30 years is nothing for evolution and yet it starts working.
War must be, while we defend our lives against a destroyer who would devour all; but I do not love the bright sword for its sharpness, nor the arrow for its swiftness, nor the warrior for his glory. I love only that which they defend.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1084 on: October 29, 2016, 01:49:45 pm »

Source or it's all insidious lies by fascists west to encourage bird settling of chernobyl

Ruludos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1085 on: October 29, 2016, 02:05:28 pm »

ptw

Max™

• Bay Watcher
  • [CULL:SQUARE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1086 on: October 29, 2016, 02:31:43 pm »

Uh, the most extreme nuclear winter projections have been debunked, but the cooling effects of upper troposphere/stratosphere injections of soot and ash are an observed fact after Pinatubo and the like.

Are you saying we could use nuclear arms to combat environment temperature change? Guys, we could literally bomb global warming. Why haven't we done this already?
You're thinking big, but not big enough, we need to toss all the nukes down a supervolcano and bomb THAT!

Future generations will thank you, it will sound like them being all "oh rue and lamentation" but trust me, it'll be lamentation of thankfulness!

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1087 on: October 30, 2016, 06:54:31 am »

The difference is that if the pyrochemical concept is true, it would fill the atmosphere with material inhospitable to most forms of life, and unlike typical pollution or radiation won't be mitigated over time.
If airborne particles could eventually settle after Theia crashed into Earth and created Moon, I'm sure any puny dust cloud kicked up by humans would settle down too.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1088 on: October 30, 2016, 08:01:54 am »

The difference is that if the pyrochemical concept is true, it would fill the atmosphere with material inhospitable to most forms of life, and unlike typical pollution or radiation won't be mitigated over time.
If airborne particles could eventually settle after Theia crashed into Earth and created Moon, I'm sure any puny dust cloud kicked up by humans would settle down too.
yeah but would we die before it settled

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1089 on: October 30, 2016, 08:56:25 am »

Dont worry, british queen probably has good enough personal vault for surviving this.
Not sure about Corbyn though.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #1090 on: October 30, 2016, 08:59:04 am »

Dont worry, british queen probably has good enough personal vault for surviving this.
Not sure about Corbyn though.
Even after WWIII Charles still won't inherit the throne

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1091 on: October 30, 2016, 09:13:22 am »

And we were never alive before. And by 'we', I mean that maybe 200 million to half a billion1 years passed between the hypothetical Theia collision and when the whole of our family tree arose/landed/whatever, with LUCA maybe hundreds of millions of years later.

If the life we have at the moment survives a Theia 2 naturally (deep subterranean, at or around the antipode?) maybe it'll re-arise. Probably has better chance of rearising than ourselves, or anything we would recognise (save for anything our future Martian colonies/etc brought back either deliberstely or on the soles of their spaceboots).  But I'd lay odds on the Life Version 2 (the result of the high-speed, highly-parallel frenetic organic experimentation within the boiling and roiling mixing pots of New Earth) coming up with the solution again, independently, and starting a new competition for life that obliterates any final slow, cold, passive Life V1 that creeps up out of the hiding places. Although it could go either way, or neither.

1 Short billion, admitedly, but it's still long enough...

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #1092 on: October 30, 2016, 07:39:40 pm »

life, uh, finds a way
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1093 on: October 30, 2016, 07:44:42 pm »

life, uh, finds a way
Yes, but after careful consideration I've decided not to endorse your park which life..?

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • Leftover Potential
    • View Profile
« Reply #1094 on: October 30, 2016, 07:47:45 pm »

Preferably? All of it, smashed together into one omniorganism.
Always remember!
Pumsy loves you!
Pages: 1 ... 71 72 [73] 74 75 ... 163