Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarves not gathering fruit?  (Read 6406 times)

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
Dwarves not gathering fruit?
« on: November 01, 2015, 10:51:38 am »

I've been playing in an area with lots of fruit giving trees, and when I use the 'k' key to look at the ground, I've noticed several fallen fruits and nuts. Is there any way to get my dwarves to pick those up?
I've tried designating a fruit gathering zone, a plant gathering designation, but neither of these options work.
How do I get the dwarves to pick those fruits up?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarves not gathering fruit?
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2015, 11:00:31 am »

To pick fruit you need to designate a fruit picking zone (which you appear to have done) as well as to enable the Plant Gathering skill on the dorfs to do the picking.
A plant gathering designation designates picking of various ground plants, and likewise uses the Plant Gathering labor, but won't give you tree borne fruit or nuts.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2015, 05:05:31 pm »

You need a stepladder to harvest from trees, too.  Leaves and stuff on the ground are just a type of contamination, like blood or vomit.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2015, 05:34:00 pm »

Not entirely true, you can pick up fallen fruit and use it, but leaves on the ground do seem fairly useless.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2015, 06:09:39 pm »

Not entirely true, you can pick up fallen fruit and use it, but leaves on the ground do seem fairly useless.
How do I get my dwarves to pick up the fruits and nuts?

What method do you use?

(I haven't yet tried the one already mentioned, by the way)

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2015, 07:20:21 pm »

The fruit gathering zone can be tuned to gather from trees, to gather fruit from the ground, and to gather herbs as three separate settings (if you disable the first one you obviously don't need any step ladders). They don't seem to work properly, however, since my dorfs gather whip vines and other herb stuff regardless of whether I specify only fruits on trees, or fruits on trees as well as the ground, in both cases disabling herb collection. My guess is that the herbs are gathered either as they are disturbed by the ladder or picked up together with the fruit when on the same tile.

To gather tree products you need a fruit gathering zone as well as the plant gathering skill, as stated earlier.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2015, 01:37:05 am »

I just set a Gather Fruit [ i ] zone, and make sure I have someone with plant gathering turned on. Sometimes with various hauling turned off to ensure they actually do the plant gathering. They get around to it in time.

I haven't bothered to modify what they gather yet, I just let them pick up anything on the ground from herbs and shrubs to fallen fruit, along with climbing up into the trees to get stuff from up there. Mostly the only thing I can recommend is make sure you turn all unrelated hauling off on the dwarf so they don't try and do everything EXCEPT plant gather, because for some reason they really don't like to do it...
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Mike_B20

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2015, 05:34:44 am »

Does fruit gathering work if the fruit gathering zone is at the level of the base of the fruit tree, or does the fruit gathering zone need to be extended one Z level up to include the branches of the tree?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2015, 06:34:51 am »

The zone is at the ground level. At least that's what I have, and fruit is gathered from the trees.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 05:49:33 pm »

Yeah, you don't need to extend it up. I guess you may need to if you want to gather from like, the very top of the tree? But you usually don't have to bother with that.