Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: df workflow a few questions  (Read 1382 times)

richta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
df workflow a few questions
« on: November 07, 2015, 11:00:17 am »

so im using the lazy newb pack, which the name has changed but most are going to know what im talking about.

anyway the problem is that im using workflow and i run into the same few problems every time and have been unable to find a solution.
for example process plants to barrel produces liquid, drinks are liquid, lye and milk are also liquids. to create a new repeat job in workflow includes
these other liquids as part of the new job. every time i try to specify produce material type liquid, material dwarven syrup. it says cannot produce this material.

ive always tried changing the inputs  but that if i remember correctly ran into an issue of getting stuck on one job. so one job produce x pear wine would get stuck if i ran out
of pears and the next job produce apple wine wouldn't run even though i had apples.

Wheeljack

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes explosions for their BOOM
    • View Profile
Re: df workflow a few questions
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2015, 02:37:20 pm »

Not sure how to address your first problem, but couldn't you have multiple stills for the different booze you want to make? Have one just for pears, and then another for the apples. If you run out of pears, that one can freeze up all it wants because your apple boozing is still happily chugging along at another workshop.

That's how I'd handle that issue anyway.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2015, 02:53:10 pm »

Process Plants should have nothing to do with Lye or Milk.  Process To Barrel is used soley for creating Dwarven Syrup out of Sweet Pods.  The non-container Process is only used to create thread.  I'm away from my DF at the moment, but can check that when I get back.

richta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2015, 04:47:17 pm »

Process Plants should have nothing to do with Lye or Milk.  Process To Barrel is used soley for creating Dwarven Syrup out of Sweet Pods.  The non-container Process is only used to create thread.  I'm away from my DF at the moment, but can check that when I get back.

yea i probably mixed them up. but the process to barrel produces a liquid which seems to count as a drink liquid. it seems like any liquid counts as another liquid and thats the overall problem the drink thing is just a symptom. i can deal with 1 or two stills producing drinks. its just the drinks count towards the milk, lye, etc. liquids total. so the solution i found was the changing inputs and/or outputs to create specific liquids and the guy previously answered this but im not interested in putting in 30 different stills each producing one kind of a drink from the fruits and veggies on my map. so if thats the only solution for that specific problem screw it for now and maybe i will change it later when my fort grows. so the main issue is the all liquids counting towards other liquids and it has this effect for other items but i cant think of any at the moment. (im just comming back from a fairly long df break). but earlier today when i went to start my lye production it said i had 30 something liquid already and the only thing i had 30 of was drinks. and to start the process plants to barrel it said i already had 36 liquid something so the job wouldnt start and again all i had was 30 drinks and some milk.

im totally willing to consider this is a me problem if no one else has this problem and i should have taken real notes. but ive had this problem yesterday/today and in the past.

also now i have stacks of feather tree yolks on my trade depot i looked em up and says they are edible when cooked but i cant find the stockpile settings that will allow them to be stored.

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2015, 05:17:49 pm »

Hm, it shouldn't count towards your booze totals. I've had no problem with milk and lye in regards to my booze count.

Process plants to barrel is basically worthless imo. You can brew the sweetpods for booze in a still, the sugar stuff you get from the farmer's workshop is food. Unless you really need food, I'd not worry about that.

Let me boot up DF (just had to restart the PC)...okay I think what your problem is is that when you choose the preset for the Workflow range (the 5-10 or whatever numbers you want), you're choosing liquids of any material, which will cause you the problems you have. For the lye, for example, you want to pick liquid of lye.

That'll stop it counting all your liquids instead of just the lye you have.

As for the choosing particular items for booze, my only advice is don't specify the items you want it to use and just use the kitchen menu to turn off what you don't want brewed. I've never had the issue of jobs cancelling like that unless there was no item at all, or there was a stockpile issue.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2015, 05:24:13 pm »

Aight, I've done some investigating.  First, do not use Workflow for Lye production.  The only thing it is good for is creating Soap, so ideally you should be consuming all of your Lye as soon as you make it.  After going through all of the tasks, I believe your problem comes from 'Process Plants to Barrel', as this does not have advanced Workflow parameters.  I'm afraid you will just have to manage your Sweetpods the old-fashioned way :P  Unless you have some reason why you want to keep track of specific booze types, I recommend just setting 'Brew Fruit/Plant' to something like 2000-5000.  Same with Milk, if you want to create a cheese-based economy (and really, who doesn't?)

Edit: Armok curse you to magma FortunaDraken, freaking 7 seconds >:(

FortunaDraken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2015, 05:26:23 pm »

Aight, I've done some investigating.  First, do not use Workflow for Lye production.  The only thing it is good for is creating Soap, so ideally you should be consuming all of your Lye as soon as you make it.  After going through all of the tasks, I believe your problem comes from 'Process Plants to Barrel', as this does not have advanced Workflow parameters.  I'm afraid you will just have to manage your Sweetpods the old-fashioned way :P  Unless you have some reason why you want to keep track of specific booze types, I recommend just setting 'Brew Fruit/Plant' to something like 2000-5000.  Same with Milk, if you want to create a cheese-based economy (and really, who doesn't?)

Edit: Armok curse you to magma FortunaDraken, freaking 7 seconds >:(
Haha XD You can use Workflow for lye pretty fine, just have to make sure of the settings.
I just had a "lord consort" visit and decide to stay. Preparing for Trojan war reenactment.
Protip: statues cannot be made out of wood unless they're artifacts. If you see what appears to be a wooden statue outside your fort and it's not an artifact, destroy it immediately.

Immortal-D

• Bay Watcher
  • [Not_A_Tree]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2015, 05:45:16 pm »

Haha XD You can use Workflow for lye pretty fine, just have to make sure of the settings.
True, but there is zero reason to stockpile the stuff, doing so is just a waste of buckets.

richta

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2015, 06:10:55 pm »

alright thanks for the help