Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16

Author Topic: Icehold, the Dwarven Prison: Overseers desperately needed!  (Read 37550 times)

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
Re: Icehold, the Dwarven Prison: Overseers needed!
« Reply #150 on: February 14, 2016, 03:30:03 pm »

I notice that you need overseers...
May i put my name in the proverbial hat of choosing of the overseer?
(Can i become overseer)
(Eventually)Edit: i have no idea how to control the military of a fort.
BRING IT ON
« Last Edit: February 15, 2016, 05:37:00 am by Imic »
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Ethan741

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Icehold, the Dwarven Prison: Overseers needed!
« Reply #151 on: February 15, 2016, 03:28:37 pm »

20th Felsite, 260

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hello again Journal! I’ve had about twenty of these bastard farmers accost me over the past week, going on about how “one of the animals has gone mad” or something about “frothing mouths”. So like any other good overseer, I go check it out, and the little bastards are breeding! They’re fuckin’ everywhere! Why are all the farmers obsessed with cave crocodiles? See, this is what drives Shofet mad! This is why he’s angry all the time! These bloody things must be some sort of catalyst to his rage!

5th Hematite
So remember the “Little Professor” Quasar? Side note, I call him “little” because I was rummaging around in his things, y’know, like a good overseer, and I found out something. The little bastard’s 17 years old. And yet he still saunters about like he owns the place, demanding I give him a “proper” lab. Complete with traction benches and cabinets. Weird request, right? I tried convincing him that he meant a “hospital”, but he was certain that he was talking about a lab. Just another reason why you shouldn’t get injured in Icehold. So I yell at the carpenter to make some beds, and… We’re out of wood. It’s no surprise really. It’s what happens when you get locked in a prison located on some god-forsaken iceshelf. So as you can imagine, no wood equals no progress. So I had to… Make due. Lowering one of the drawbridges in the lowest set of caverns, I ordered a bunch of mushrooms cut down.

Interestingly enough, upon cutting one down, the entire mushroom, often the size of a bedroom, would shrivel into a single stringy dowel as long as my arm. But hey, wood is wood.

12th Hematite, 260

Did someone say “vampires”?! Because that’s exactly what that stampede outside sounds like. Let me tell you something. This frozen ass-backwards settlement may be as close to hell as we’re going to get, but it’s a safe kind of hell. There’s a demon making prison wine in the toilets, and the rate of washroom shankings are at an all time low. There was this uneasy sort of trust going on here. You knew everyone and why they were here, and you could relate to that. But now, with all these, er, foreigners, you can’t trust anyone. Saw some chicken-headed bloke wandering about the halls picking up discarded scraps of clothing as he walked by. Haven’t seen him before, so I asked him why he’s here. Do you know what he told me?

“They said I was the ‘Sewer-grate strangler’, but I never done it! I only said I done it so they’d take me willy outta the magma-forge!”

Gross.
This is why I can’t trust these kinds of people.

20th Hematite, 260

An absolute suck up, this one. Didn't even mention me once in those discussions. If she weren't so critical to the gulag, I would've had her... Uh... Is it safe to record plots in a notebook such a this?

6th Malachite
So we finally put together Quasar’s “lab”, including those gem-windows he so desperately needed. And guess what? The little ankle biter doesn’t even use it! I saw a dwarf with broken hands trying to engrave with his teeth today. And somehow, Quasar kept trying to convince me that it was “no big deal” and that “I needed 20 cc’s of shut the fuck up”. Y’know Journal, between you and me, I don’t think he’s he’s even a real doctor! That’s why he doesn’t bother with healthcare. Hell, if he cared, that trench-foot issue in the midden would’ve been solved by now!

Sure, they could’ve just put on shoes, but it’s too late for that now. I’ve got my eyes on him. Shofet’s eyes too.

10th Malachite

One of Quasar’s goons started screaming about the “bright lights” inside of him. He tackled the local craftsdwarf and took the keys to his shop. I’d go take care of this myself, but let’s be honest here, when you hear nothing but screaming and the gnashing of stones coming from inside of a workshop, you don’t exactly want to be the one to go an’ check it out.

24th Malachite, 260
He’s still screaming.

I just want to sleep.

When will the madness end?

1st Galena, 260
He’s finally done. It’s… Some some sort of circlet? A crown or something? I dunno, but the bookeeper told me, and I quote, “it’s worth a shittton”. So I’m gonna keep it around, and see what happens.

5th Galena

Ahahahaha!
That’s what the little hunched fuck gets for taking my knife!

Wait...

Oh shit!

We’ve got another vampire! Unfortunately, not one of us saw who did it! Well, I hope none of you have to sleep anytime soon, because we’ve got another blood sucker on our hands. And this one seems capable.

14th Limestone, 260
I was told that a forgotten beast showed up today. Remember that other forgotten beast that waltzed in the other day? Well, this one decided to take care of that. Y’know, I expected to be accosted with more frightening problems, but everything that’s thrown at me seems to take care of itself. It’s kind of funny, I always thought that the abyssal beasts would be the root of all my problems, but no. It’s just other dwarves.
The damn thing surged up out of nowhere, and breathed on it 'till it caught the flu and died.

15th Limestone, 260

A stray caravan wandered close today. After that lost migrant wave, I figured it couldn’t hurt to let these guys inside too. They didn’t really have much to trade, other than bits of cheese, and some fruits that we can’t get here in the barren wastes, but other than that, they haven’t got anything particularly useful. No weapons, no wood, and no caged beasts to keep Shofet sated.

18th Sandstone, 260
More screaming, though this one sounds vaguely pleasant, like a girlish scream of joy. I’ve up and removed the door from the craftsdwarf workshop, so no key-theft this time around. I’m tired of getting complaints about battery. Sure, he hit you, well hit him back! Do that, and I’ll lighten the punishment that Honeymoon hands down!

8th Timber, 260
Okay, this has got to stop. I didn’t know this one in particular, but these motherfuckers are getting right royal vicious. I’ve issued out a witch-hunt of sorts. We should catch that slippery bastard within a week, considering that it’s rather hard to hide in an isolated prison, in which all of the inmates want you dead.

15th Timber, 260

Goddamnit! I figured it out! They elected the motherfucker as the mayor! That’s how he’s been getting out of this time after time! That charismatic fuck! I want him dead! Preferably with the the “Shofet Special” as I like to call it!

16th Timber
So I was recently informed that killing the mayor, vampire or not, is not only illegal, but extremely illegal. I’m calling bullshit on this one, because we’re all here because we did something vaguely illegal, so this is as far as it goes? What, we’re already in jail! What are they going to do, put me in superjail? Ach, the nerve of some people.

20th Timber

Turns out, we have a superjail. Compared to the rest of this gulag, it’s not all that bad. Sure, it’s just a giant room with a latrine hole carved out of solid rock in the corner, but there’s (mostly) uncontaminated food and drink, and they’re safe from the dangers of the rest of this place.

That is, until this very moment.

That bastard mayor will be a fine red mist in the next hour. I was a little disappointed to learn that Shofet wasn’t going to be the one carrying out the act, but hey, as long as he’s dead, I can’t complain.

2nd Moonstone, 260
Goddamnit! I’ve been waiting for nearly two weeks now, and they still haven’t killed him. That motherfucker talked his way out of it again! In fact, he’s sitting there, conducting a meeting in super-jail right now! What the fuck is wrong with our executioner? He didn’t seem to mind it when we had that other prisoner! Someone go and tell him that vampires aren’t people, even if they look like dwarves! 

10th Moonstone, 260
Well, there’s been some, er, “unrest” since my appointment, so I’ve ordered all the rabblers to construct a tower to keep them busy! A little hard work might make them get over all of the murders that’ve been taking place recently!

The only issue is that not a single one of them has seen the surface in years. They we’re supposed to build a massive icy-blue spire, to ward of the forces of evil, (and also the forces of the Green Kingdom, once they’ve realized that we technically kidnapped some of their citizens). However, with these underprepared workers, the tower turned from blue, to a sickly-green. The entire construction is not only a disgrace to Icehold, but to Icehold’s nostrils. I’m going to be honest, it smells like death up there, and I am not having it.

So I decided to build an… Alternate monument instead. A testament to our freedom. A symbol to ward off usurpers and the forces of darkness!

I’ll write about it when it’s complete.

22 Opal, 260

Goddamnit all.

They puked on it. They puked on all of it. I didn’t even know if that was dwarvenly possibly. I woke up this morning, and went to see how progress was doing, and it looked like someone fuckin’ planted grass, good gods almighty. You can't even see the colors anymore, it’s just green! All of it is green! I don’t even want to see it completed anymore!

Y’know, this is sort of one of the reasons I hate this job. It’s the apathy. I expected this to be so much more. I expected to be a hero! To lead Icehold out of darkness! But really, nothing changed. None of the other dwarves really even regard me as their leader! Once again, Honeymoon has taken up the reins, and started running this show again. For fucks sake, she’s the duchess now! How am I supposed to compare with that?

19th Obsidian, 260

I’m done, this sucks. It was fun playing dress up, and wearing the clothes of a leader, but man, fuck it. Have I made a difference? Will I even be remembered for anything? What was the point of any this? Actually, no. I've decided that from here on out, I don't care anymore. I'm gonna go sulk in my office, like a good and faithful overseer.

Huh?

Oh, fuck you, nameless bastard! They locked it from the inside! That was mine, dammnit! I built it, and I want to live in it! What cruel bastard steals a safe-house from another dwarf?! Bah, it don’t matter. None of this matters anyway. My term’s over in a few days, I’ll just start fuckin’ with people, see how they like it. Start building screw pumps over frozen ponds… Yeah, that sounds nice. They’ll figure out I’m gone eventually, right?

Right.

The save, and other ramblings. You might want to make sure the raws are all okay, because in a series of extremely unfortunate events, I nearly vaporized the save.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
  • More than just an average drunken axe-crazy nutjob
    • View Profile
Re: Icehold, the Dwarven Prison: Now with extra vampires!
« Reply #152 on: February 15, 2016, 04:19:24 pm »

8th Timber, 260
Okay, this has got to stop. I didn’t know this one in particular, but these motherfuckers are getting right royal vicious. I’ve issued out a witch-hunt of sorts. We should catch that slippery bastard within a week, considering that it’s rather hard to hide in an isolated prison, in which all of the inmates want you dead.

He was so young... and so gifted with crayons...  :'(

That puts Gwolfski up next, I've sent him a PM.

I notice that you need overseers...
May i put my name in the proverbial hat of choosing of the overseer?
(Can i become overseer)
(Eventually)Edit: i have no idea how to control the military of a fort.
BRING IT ON

I've added you to the list, and don't worry. Even without a military, all you have to worry about is forgotten beasts, goblins, zombies, giant cave spiders, Megabeasts deciding to pay us a visit...

(But is all seriousness, since it's already set up all you'll have to do is use the 's'quad menu to send our favorite psychopaths to whatever needs murdering.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Stuff I was/am involved with:
The Succession Tower, ConstructIvory
Bonepillar                    Thunderdoom
Parallel Fortresses

Trigon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: February 15, 2016, 06:23:31 pm »

So uh exactly how many vampires did I let in?

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #154 on: February 15, 2016, 06:33:46 pm »

ME TURN!!!!!!
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

Taupe

• Bay Watcher
  • Weasel Monarch
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: February 15, 2016, 11:01:42 pm »

''What do you mean, the mayor avoided execution?'' Honeymoon grinned.

''The executioners just.... they couldn't do it.
-In a prison.
-None of them could, ma'am.
-None of the unsavory psychopaths of Icehold could carry on an execution.
-It's just... The mayor probably has like, mind controls and shit?''

The Duchess reflected for a moment. Damn vampires, them and their stupid vampire powers. The mayor had some sort of strange control over the little bees of this prison, for sure. A queen of sort. None of the little workers would harm a queen, for they were bond to serve her and keep her safe. They couldn't hurt her. Not willingly. But there was always a way. Place a tasty enough bait nearby, no matter how poisonous, and the workers will inevitably lead it to the queen.

She doubted the mayor would really appreciate nectar. They would need a sweeter bait. something vampires couldn't resist. There was only one dwarf she could trust with both the place and the design. Only one dwarf was crazy enough.

She would hide in the place. For as long as it took for people to believe her dead. She had no actual heir at the time. If she was presumed dead, then they would need to elect a new ruler for the duchy. This would require a special meeting.

''It IS true, we have no documented evidence of vampires being able to fly.'' Quasar remarked. ''We'll need some testing done soon enough. I'll have a special meeting area prepared just for that!''

Vampires and politicians loved power. That would be the bait.

Spoiler: ooc note (click to show/hide)

Ethan741

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: February 15, 2016, 11:37:44 pm »

So uh exactly how many vampires did I let in?

Only two, it was just fun blaming all of the fort's problems on you.

Shofet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: February 16, 2016, 12:07:57 am »

I would like to make a request to the overseer and denizens of Icehold.

Please let me retire. I am quite old, and the reaper is looking at me hard.

Fuck the reaper. I don't want to risk dieing to old age. Let me go down fighting an impossible foe.

So I would ask permission to taste that sweet vampire blood. And have a room with access to the surface or caverns,controlled by bridges, to wait out my retirement.

I dont think a sweet statue of me to look at for eternity is too much too ask for.

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: February 16, 2016, 01:11:04 am »

Deus' Journal
I hate vampires. ... and zombies. Vampires and zombies. And werebeasts. Honestly I hate pretty much anything that's dead but doesn't have the decency to just lie down and rot like a polite corpse should. But vampires are definitely the... well, the second worst. I think I still hate zombies more after the crap those necromancers put us through. I think I'm getting sidetracked. Vampires suck and I hate them. They're like parasites or nobles that request bronze beds when they know very well that copper hasn't been seen anywhere in the entire realm and the humans have the only copper mines and are at war with us! Ahem.

In any case, Honeymoon is a noble now, but is still stuck here. So I guess she's kind of like us guards, except she doesn't get to use any of this blue stuff. And she gets a better room. Except she's been declared dead, so none of that matters. I guess it would've been my job to keep her alive as the captain of the guard, but who really cares? It's not like they can send me to worse zombie infested frozen hellhole prison or anything.
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: February 16, 2016, 05:02:47 pm »

A Buisnessdwarf's Records

They're saying the Queen Bee finally bit it. It's true no one's seen her for weeks, but I thought the same thing about my daughter, and look where that got me. I haven't been able to see her for months, what with that "Place" of theirs getting sealed off again.

But regardless of where the Queen Bee is, she's still gone. And that means we're gonna get ourselves a new Duke or Duchess here in Icehold.

Who'a thought a dump like this, full up with the worst dwarves in history, would get called a duchy. That's the power of technicalities for you- get enough dwarves and cash together, and you got yourself a noble seat.

And rumor has it that the job's gonna go to that bloodsucker that took my Enforcer's job as mayor. And that's exactly what I'm hoping will happen. You see, the bloodsucker is the only other one here who's got any skill with metal, and we've talked a couple times over the forge. In fact, I'm the closest thing to a friend he's got in Icehold.

And if there's one thing my experiences with nobles have taught me, it's that they always look after their friends.
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: February 17, 2016, 05:02:21 am »

Change of plans.
For private reasons i cannot take on the position of overseer.
Sorry.
😥
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #161 on: February 17, 2016, 05:31:57 am »

its my turn anyway.

DDDragoni

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: February 27, 2016, 08:13:08 pm »

It's been 10 days since your last post, Gwolfski, and 12 since you took the save. Any progress?
Stuff I run:
Icehold(Second Thread)
Parallel Fortresses

uber pye

• Bay Watcher
  • murderhobo extraordinaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: February 28, 2016, 01:08:11 am »

8th Timber, 260
oh no

OOC: i stop paying attention for a month a someone kills me :(
"Immortal" just means that you haven't killed it hard enough

X-MAS TIME!!!!!
the mad immortal child! xmas themed

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #164 on: February 28, 2016, 06:39:44 am »

how did the magma minecart yoke work?

Just askin' ;D
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 16