Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Washing clothes and dishes  (Read 1801 times)

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Washing clothes and dishes
« on: December 02, 2015, 06:41:43 am »

The new thing with goblets for taverns made me think that they have to be washed or at least rinsed. DF doesn't have plates, bowls or cutlery yet but when it does, it'll make sense to have to wash them.

Same goes for clothes. A search through the forum turned up an old thread that nobody replied to about washing clothes:

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=3152

I don't know exactly how things went in medieval times. It seems that noblemen often found bonny lasses washing clothes by the river who "fell in love" right then and there, meaning "You just don't say no to a nobleman. Because you can't.".

In any case, at least nobles should get their clothes washed.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Washing clothes and dishes
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2015, 02:25:40 pm »

Clothes-washing would involve either soap or ammonia, distilled out of sheep urine. I could see clothes washing being separated from bathing, but we must recognize it will be another job for dwarves to perform. Furthermore, will contaminants on weapons and miscellaneous objects also be washed off? Could all this be tied together into "object washing", with perhaps a "washing zone"? Sink buildings? Bath-tubs?

Trappington

• Bay Watcher
  • Micromanager for Hire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2015, 02:40:31 pm »

I like the idea of a fortress laundromat.  Also makes soap production or purchase a bit more critical.

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2015, 03:55:55 pm »

I'm not so sure. Do we want a laundry skill? A laundry job?

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2015, 05:06:23 pm »

I'm not so sure. Do we want a laundry skill? A laundry job?
Cleaning. We already have it.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2015, 06:26:38 pm »

This could happen in a bunch of ways - either each dwarf washes their own; or a family member in each family(finally a use for children); or all clothes are washed by the fort's washers; or when the economy is introduced someone gets paid to do it. Whichever way makes more sense, I guess.

I also remembered something else. This process should create dirty water which needs to be drained and we'll finally have sewers without any need for poop.

For both clothes and dish washing, I'd love to build gigantic washing machines but we'll have to see how creative we can get with moving fortress parts.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2015, 08:01:34 am by Deboche »

Shazbot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2015, 11:40:06 pm »

A need for sewers without a need for sewage? Have it or don't, my friend.

I suppose you could roll it into the Cleaning skill, although it seems rather broad to cover everything from mopping to dumping to laundry under the same labor.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2015, 02:19:16 am »

Do clothes even last long enough that we'd want/need dwarves cleaning them? If dwarves get contaminants, they wash off at a well. Unless we get a mending job, clothes start showing wear after around a year, and are then shortly replaced if new ones are available.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2015, 08:03:00 am »

I suppose it doesn't fit with the warped dwarven time we have now.

Waparius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2015, 04:02:29 pm »

It allows for the possibility of washerwomen, which in turn makes it possible down the line for prisoners to try to escape by dressing up as washerwomen. Even if I didn't think dwarves (and others, but I only play Fortress mode) should spend a lot more time on cleaning and other maintenance tasks (weeding, checking for structural problems, repairing clothes and other things...) this would be enough to make me want it.

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2015, 05:16:05 am »

I think if washing clothes resets the degrade timer it would be good.

If you have a item of clothing that is about to go from an XTroll Fur SockX to a XXTroll Fur SockXX, washing it would reset the timer on degrading.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2015, 07:40:11 am »

I think if washing clothes resets the degrade timer it would be good.

If you have a item of clothing that is about to go from an XTroll Fur SockX to a XXTroll Fur SockXX, washing it would reset the timer on degrading.
Doesn't make sense. If anything, the act of washing would cause wear.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

Insanegame27

• Bay Watcher
  • Now versio- I mean, age 18. Honestly not an AI.
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2015, 08:17:18 am »

If clothes are not washed IRL they degrade very quickly.
Power/metagaming RL since Birth/Born to do it.
Quote from: Second Amendment
A militia cannot function properly without arms, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without tanks and warplanes, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear tanks and warplanes, shall not be infringed.
The military cannot function without ICBMs, therefore the right of the people to keep and bear ICBMs, shall not be infringed.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2015, 08:34:06 am »

If clothes are not washed IRL they degrade very quickly.
Do they? I don't see how taking a bar of soap and scrubbing the fabric, nor the expanding and contracting of the fibers from saturation, could be any good for durability.

The only explanations I can think of are the use of modern detergents and the act of simply not wearing the same shirt everyday. Even still, that lint in the dryer is coming from somewhere.
« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 08:43:04 am by Bumber »

Deboche

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2015, 09:42:29 am »

That's interesting. I guess we need a clothes expert to clarify that point. Maybe washing could slow down the degradation.

I've heard of people who put their jeans in the freezer rather than wash them because washing wears on the denim and freezing kills the bacteria.

Maybe washing will make more sense if or when smell is implemented. Or dwarves judging each other based on their looks and acting accordingly.
Pages: [1] 2