Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: HELLDIVERS: Now on PC  (Read 8374 times)

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
Re: HELLDIVERS: Now on PC
« Reply #15 on: December 08, 2015, 09:04:00 pm »

Or you could just play the game without the DLC. I haven't even played the expansion pack yet, and have no DLC. Perfectly fun by itself.
Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 08, 2015, 09:44:48 pm »

I knew I was gonna eventually give in to the temptation so I went ahead and did it now.  With DLC because fuck principles, I want to hell dive.

If anybody wants to do some co-op I'm Mister Bup
Shoes...

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
    • Portuguese blacksmithing forum!
« Reply #17 on: December 09, 2015, 04:28:26 pm »

I just wanted to state again that I've had a ton of fun without DLC. I just unlocked a giant robot, and made a line with 3 other people that unlocked the same robot at the same time, and we had a great time killing Xenos Cyborgs for the Emperor Super Earth.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 09, 2015, 08:40:48 pm »

I don't regret getting this.  Nor the DLC.

If I'd known how much vanilla gear there is I might not've gotten the DLC but it's no big, I really like most of it.  I love the suppressor grenade rifle, though I seem to be the only one on Super Earth who does. 

For those still looking, there's three enemy factions and a neat little pseudo-cooperative campaign system.  Each enemy occupies a third of the space around super earth which is divided up into sectors, one of which is active for each faction at a time.  You pick an enemy and then a planet.  Each planet has a difficulty rating, from 1 which is pointlessly easy to 12 which I haven't done and can't even imagine, a reward unlock, and a climate which is mostly cosmetic but affects what kind of terrain hazards there are.  Stuff like swamps and snow that hinder movement, magma vents that can kill you, and such. 

And you and your team do two or three missions on the planet to conquer it, at which point you get the reward and points are added to the region score based on the difficulty and how well you did.  When the conquest bar is full the sector is cleared and you move on to the next one.  The score required is always hundreds of thousands of points so every player contributes to it.

And when you get all the way to the end then everyone fights on a single homeworld planet working to do the same thing.  If you can't fill the bar in a certain time limit then you lose the battle and get pushed back.  It's apparently possible to get pushed all the way back to Super Earth and even to lose the war but I can't imagine that actually happening.

Anyway, the enemies.  There's bugs which are starship troopers.  They tend to have big swarms of easy chaff plus giant tank bugs that can only be killed heavy weaponry or tons of fire at their weak points.  Then there's cyborgs who are cyborgs.  They use guns with a little melee, and big heavy weapons platforms like tanks and robot walkers.  Their armor isn't overall as tough as some of the bugs but some guys have shields which are all but invulnerable if you shoot the shield.

And the illuminates are stupid. T hey're protoss, there aren't that many of them and they're pretty fragile but a lot of them have force fields you have to break first.  They mostly fight with spider robots and assassin type units that shoot you at range with lasers it's impossible not to avoid, and crowd control and area denial stuff.  I don't like them much.

There's also bosses but i've never fought any of them.  The silly teamkilling I honestly haven't seen that much of, it's not like Magicka where you kill each other as much as you kill the bad guys, for sure.
Shoes...

TheBronzePickle

• Bay Watcher
  • Why am I doing this?
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 09, 2015, 11:18:35 pm »

The silly teamkilling is something you try to avoid, since it's a bit of a pain to get people back down. Nevertheless, accidents do happen. I recall one incident where someone joined in the middle of a game and managed to land their pod on the last surviving squad member who was busy trying to get the rest of us called down and couldn't move in time.

More often it happens just because of being unaware of your position relative to another player. Especially when enemies are right on top of you or people aren't close together, bullets can go stray and other such incidents. People being run over or stepped on by vehicles also seems to happen a fair bit, and I've seen several instances of drivers leaping out too early and running themselves over, though that's more just an experience thing.
Nothing important here, move along.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 09, 2015, 11:26:52 pm »

Once you play enough, you will have the reinforcement command on reflex.

Fun tip; if you know you are going to die and/or the last man on the team.  You can call in reinforcements... make sure to hold on to the beacon, then go splat.  You, will be included in the droppod.  (Though, if I remember right, end mission rewards you for dying less often.)

And yes, the teamkilling happens when it gets hectic.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 10, 2015, 11:22:24 am »

Great tip, thanks Zangi

I got it 2 days ago and will certainly get the 30 € (delxus with some dlc edition) out in 30 hours of gameplay or so.

Some notes:

God I wish this was just Alien Swarm (orginal UT mod) + The red Solstice, somehow.
Gameplay is fine and while I would have loved a far deeper upgrade tree with up/downsides (I.e. turn shoty to auto shoty, less dmg) instead of just "this is strictly better then that" it seems fine for a console/casual game...

but what bugs me is that the game does not reward just murdering alien beastys and robots - honestly for the most part you want to avoid fighting, as it only brings risk and very rarly any kind of reward. Sneak around the red spots, use the OP drone to spot everything and put a distraction beacon down before you cap whatever is the event. Also it tends to be a fairly constant treat level, i.e. only two modes of enemys - average scouting and whenever you do a defense event or get caught a real fight - would have loved to see the world be more of a battlefield, your SAM site-starting reducing enemy air-drops (or making them land further away), your arty starting provding you with a simple extra strategem that fires a shell, etc. etc. Then zoom out a little, maybe allow several options like Alien Swarm did (Swarm mode, has enemys assaulting you all the time - but better rewards) or more then 3 mission types (rando-map, boss fight, kill XXX enemys).

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 10, 2015, 11:30:44 am »

I dunno what difficulty y'all are playing at, but good grief, so much team killing :D

You've got to be playing at a difficulty where you legit die often. It's the only way it's fun. The game shines when there's only one of you alive running away from hordes of enemies to try to get that reinforcement cooldown over, then everybody gets back and calls down exosuits to deal with the enemy horde and then exosuits fall on top of each other and get destroyed and someone has the BRILLIANT idea of calling for arty without letting us know and then everybody goes splat.

11/10 would die again

I mean, otherwise the game is just walking and killing a couple of enemies sometimes. Yawn.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 10, 2015, 11:41:03 am »

Well, loaded my ps4 version up.  Pretty much the same deal, dispensing Freedom upon the enemies of Managed Democracy.

Preferred Loadout:
Breaker vs Cyborgs  (Not so great in a kill xxx cause small area...)
Sniper vs Bugs
??? vs Protoss  (Its really annoying fighting these guys... and I don't remember what I use, maybe the Sniper.)
Random Teleport/Save

Rocket Launcher with Ammo Pack
Ammo
Area Slow
The 15x area bomb (Though, I think I get more mileage with the 2 pieces of 1x use rocket when defending a location, but it really does depend on the team...)

I usually play between difficulty 6-8.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 10, 2015, 12:47:30 pm »

I only play less than 7 or so when I can't find anything better.

My loadout:

Suppressor vs everything (Breaker in kill xxx cause small area)
Usually stratagem priority.  Boots seem good for certain areas but if you're the only one with them they don't really help except in the "You don't have to be faster than the bug tank, you only have to be faster than your teammates" kind of way.

Dum-Dum, though I'm starting to dislike it.  It's too big and slow for chaff and it's not strong enough for most big things.

A robot, depending on the mission.  Obsidian for illuminates cause you don't need anti-tank for them, lumberer for bugs cause the flame is great for melee chaff and the big cannon one-shots their big guys, and the vanilla walker for cyborgs cause it's got more range.

An airstike, usually the thunderer

Ammo
Shoes...

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2015, 01:04:57 pm »

Ah, I guess I had problems with the breaker in the kill xxx cause 2 people were in walkers and we were spread all over the place cause of that.  Which severely limited my firing range...  One of em also dropped a buncha turrets.  Fun times.
(I've only played 1 kill xxx so far.)

Anvilfolk

• Bay Watcher
  • Love! <3
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2015, 01:47:47 pm »

I've been using the Scythe and it's been working pretty peachy. Not great against Illuminates at higher levels though. Can't pierce through shields fast enough... Might have to go shotgun, since they seem to cluster a whole lot. That could work, not sure. Haven't really levelled any of the other weapons other than Scythe and Liberator (wife likes it :))!

I bring 2x Exo-44, 1xVindicator bombs (or whatever the name is) and 1xTurrets.

And for lower difficulty levels, the thing that makes you get up is pretty great, but at higher difficulty levels chances are that if the enemy has caught up to you and you're down, you're dead and that's that, so I'm thinking of changing it to something else. Maybe the running faster thing.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2015, 01:57:00 pm »

Ah, I guess I had problems with the breaker in the kill xxx cause 2 people were in walkers and we were spread all over the place cause of that.  Which severely limited my firing range...  One of em also dropped a buncha turrets.  Fun times.
(I've only played 1 kill xxx so far.)

Usually when I play those missions we end up in such close range that I kill myself with the suppressor.  It's great for chewing through lightly armored enemies at range though, and awesome for snap-shotting patrols that come into range.

Huge friendly-fire potential though, one shot is enough to knock a guy down.  I spend a lot of time in big fights maneuvering for a clear line of fire.
Shoes...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 11, 2015, 05:43:47 pm »

Cheesey tips;

So apperently you get some points for finishing planets, if you have 50 you can do a boss ( you can't have more then 50, so don't save em like I did....) - Cyborg boss is the most easy one if you spam anti-tank mines and just run away and gives a easy 9000 XP

Also, if you have a modern keyboard or just software, one could theoretically shorten any call to a single button press.

The sicle laser carabine is by far the best weapon (part of dlc obviously)

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 11, 2015, 05:48:55 pm »

The big laser cannon is better.  Still infinite ammo but more damage.  And it's not DLC.

I switched to a new strategy, defender SMG and four airstrikes.  Should get my fingers going quicker.
Shoes...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4