Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10

Author Topic: The Chronicles of Clan Stonemane - The Rise and Fall of Fortress Stonemane  (Read 9091 times)

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
Re: The Chronicles of Clan Stonemane - The Horde Prepares
« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2008, 10:51:00 pm »

mrmph... I've been trying to read this for days now, but I can never continue beyond a few lines as the close spaces between text as well as tiny, white text on black backgrounds burn my eyes...

Must... focus... energy...

Skanky

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm building a wagon!
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: January 15, 2008, 02:35:00 am »

Great work, as always. :b:
"Quickly now, the goblins are more devious these days." - Captain Mayday

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 15, 2008, 04:37:00 am »

Beyond Quality!

Ok, it's settled, you DO have sim ability, almost guarantied, please join on #Blitukus to learn the implications of this gift (what time zone are you in? If you can/wish not come better AlanL explain as my language routines are inadequate for a proper explanation).

This IS actually comparable to KQ, not better, but absolutely comparable, and that coming from me means a whole lot, you are to humble. This has not the scope of KQ, and not the various tech elements, also as it is not as long yet and so there are not as many and developed characters, but the writing is just as amazing and it has some qualities even better, for example it is more stable and robust and also closer to DF, your naming are excellent (except ending a name whit "the brave" witch sound awkward) and you capture essences in an unbelievable amazing manner, as well as many many other things that I have no time to list here.

Seriously, you are the next best author I've ever read, the best being ALanL and KQ, after that comes probably the obligatory Tolkien.

Don't listen to closely to me however as I have a tendency to exaggerate.

I am looking forward to hear more details of the Jadecastle family, they look interesting.

So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #48 on: January 15, 2008, 11:33:00 am »

It is actually almost possible to get Stonemane the Brave in the name geneator. There is no word for mane but there is a word for Stone in the first part of the compund and the brave in the ending :P I tried to name it as much like I'd seen dwarf forts name themselves as possible. It also seemed fitting to me.
"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

http://railickstonemane.wordpress.com/
http://stonemane.hostei.com/

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #49 on: January 15, 2008, 12:30:00 pm »

I was wondering, before I continue with the story, if anyone would like me to post some sort of thread that keeps tracks of the characters in the story? I have a list of characters and places that I maintain (so I don't accidently get them mixed up, though I still might so don't hold me to anything :P ) Just wondering if anyone would like me to post another thread with an up to date list of characters and their status. Maybe a small history or background about each. Update it each time I update the story so that everyone can follow me and be on the same page as I am? If anyone is interested I will work it up for public release. While I wait for a response on that it is now time to continue with the story!
"And call a dog a cow-that don't change the way the thing'll taste!" Bruenor Battlehammer

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2008, 01:28:00 pm »

Tarilic berated himself for listening to his gut; this was something that humans did not elves! Still he could not deny that he was drawn here by some form of inner guidance he could not explain. The elf had been compelled to turn back once he’d reached the mountain pass. Something deep in his heart told him that he had to make things right, that he had to find those dwarves and pay his penance.

What the forest elf did not realize at the time, and indeed never would, was that he was now a servant of Armok. He was tied to the Blood God just as surely as the dwarves, for his soul heard that horrible laugh. His mind made thousands of excuses for his change of course, but deep in his heart he knew it was not his choice to make. So the elf found himself only a half a day’s travel, as the elf runs, from Mount Frostbeard.

Baltrog could feel the roar of the dwarves rumble through the stone just as well as the rest of the goblins. They felt a chill up their spine but he felt an exhilaration he had not experienced in centuries. These dwarves would not go easily, and he would take great pleasure in squeezing the life from them with his bare hands.

The day of fighting and bloody orgy was followed by a brief period of organization in which each goblin that survived was accounted for. The drums began to beat with a purpose, sending messages all across the fortress. These messages informed the rabid goblins of the order of battle, where each goblin should report, and how they should arm themselves. This extremely detailed form of communication by drum had been passed down through history as a slice of goblin culture.  

By the dawning of the following day the goblins were prepared, decked out in the regalia of war. Every goblin had his own suit of armor and a cache of family weapons and each displayed his dynasty’s history with these items. Many of the “civilized” races are under the false impression that goblins wore crude armor and wielded rusty weapons and most of these races never live to regret their under estimation.

The goblin army was armed to the teeth with weapons that were lovingly crafted by family weapon smiths. Their armor was crafted by dedicated and immortal armor smiths that spent all their free time and resources perfecting their craft. Indeed the gear of these goblins was second only to the dwarfs in terms of durability and opulence. In this case, however, the dwarves in question were mostly unarmed and totally unarmored.

Each unit in the goblin army was denoted by a giant banner that was carried by the largest and most powerful member of that group. This war standard was strapped to the goblins back, and was meant to inspire the rest of his troops into a battle fury. When they saw their fearless leader tearing through the enemies ranks they would be drawn to that standard and elevated to greater heights of demonic fury.

Every unit also had a corps of drummers that served as communication centers for the battle. Every element’s drum corps used a different pitched drum so they could be distinguished in the din of battle. Every goblin drummer knew the pitch of each drum, and could ascertain detailed information in the heat of combat.  In this way the goblin army was one of the most organized and deadly forces in the land.

As frightening as each individual division was they were nothing compared to the command and control platoon. Here rode Baltrog, mounted along with the rest of his unit on the backs of giant cave spiders. Only by the will of their dark gods were they able to control these vicious creatures, and each one was fiercely loyal to its rider.  The goblin Lord had bore the largest standard of all, emblazoned with the symbol of Stronghold TatteredMoon.

This symbol was a pictograph that appeared to be a skull on fire. The pictograph not only represented Stronghold TatteredMoon, it was also the goblin glyph for agonizing death. This was not a guarantee of death for the goblin’s enemies; it was a guarantee of death for the goblins! This single picture, adorned on a spider silk banner, was the core of the goblin army. It meant that any goblin that did not fight to his fullest, any bastard who turned and ran, would die an agonizing death.

The command and control platoon was not there to fight the enemy alone, and they had no drums. Instead they drove the goblin hordes before them, their giant mounts killing any goblins they could get a hold of. So it was that the green skinned army had a choice between fighting the enemy with all their might or being torn limb from limb by a creature from their nightmares. Even as the front line met the enemy the rear of the army was being decimated by their own commanders. It was their own fault after all, for being the cowards in the very back.

This tactic had the desired effect, and a charging goblin army was comprised of thousands and thousands of battle crazy goblins climbing over each other. None of them wanted to be in the back, to be face to face with Baltrog’s pets. It was more than any army in three thousand years could handle, none had availed against this undying horde.

ricemastah

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: January 15, 2008, 01:52:00 pm »

Awesome! Simply awesome! I loved the descriptions of the goblin army. That rocked.  Totally

Tormented

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 15, 2008, 02:24:00 pm »

Makes for some really great reading. Registered on the forums just to give credit to the writer. Good job!

And as you yourself said there are (some more disturbing than others) inconsistencies but thats just picking at details.

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #53 on: January 15, 2008, 02:46:00 pm »

I would really appricate it if you pointed them out for me! Like I've said before I am in a long fay mood. Right now I'm just worried about getting this giant story out of my head and onto the forum before I forget any of it. However, if you see any mistakes please send me a private message or post something on this thread to let me know. I /will/ fix it and it will make the story better for everyone! I'm to close to the story to notice some of the biggest mistakes. It makes sense all in my head but in reality some of it might seem insane to you guys   :) So tell me whats wrong anad I will fix it in my own special way until it is perfect.

<edit> Also, thats pretty cool that you signed up on the forum just to tell me that. I really appreicate it, and again I don't deserve it at all!

[ January 15, 2008: Message edited by: Railick Stonemane ]

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #54 on: January 15, 2008, 03:23:00 pm »

The deed was done, and all twenty of the migrants were now members of Clan Stonemane. That night there would be no sleep for anyone, for as the goblin’s ordered their army for war the dwarves put their stone into order. Tindel knew they would never be able to fight the goblins in a pitched battle; they were out numbered more than he cared to guess at. Still, the goblins did not know the stone like a dwarf, and a mountain was a dwarf’s best friend.

The twenty migrants were totally unskilled, but they were strong. Every one was good for hauling and installing simple structures like doors. They would learn the rest as time went on, the three were certain. The mining went much faster now that Railick and Bailick could both mine as hard as they wanted to. The brothers didn’t have to hold back at all as there were twenty dedicated haulers to insure they’d not cause a cave in.

Tindel’s plans were extremely complicated and it was fortunate that none of the other dwarf’s needed to understand. So long as they followed his orders to the T there was a small chance they might survive. The brothers mined through the night, creating traps and blinds and easily defendable areas in the mountain. Tindel knew the channel before the box canyon would do them no good against goblins. They would simply come down from above them, climb down the walls.

So the dwarves abandoned the surface and delved deeper into the stone. The old antechamber was rigged with as many traps as Tindel could devise and the maze was now a death trap. The first goblin to figure it out would be rewarded with death, and his comrades with him. Beyond the antechamber all roads lead to hell. There was no safe path any more, for there was no need for one.

In the deepest part of the fortress the brothers mined out a dwarven structure known as Armok’s alley. This was their last line of defense and if the goblins got here the battle was all but lost. The tight tunnel was low enough that only a dwarf could stand and weapons could only be thrust. There was no room to swing or chop with a weapon here, only room for a direct attack. They carved blinds into the walls where dwarves could hide, holes in the floor for them to pop out of, and trap doors in the ceiling full of heavy stones that could be dropped on invaders heads.

Beyond Armok’s alley the brothers dug one last large chamber. If the goblins got here all the dwarves would be able to do is stand together and fight to the last. Still beyond this they carved a tiny hidden chamber. If their enemies did made it this far one dwarf was to hide in this chamber. It would be their duty to pull a lead wire that would have two separate effects. First the floodgate above them would fall away, allowing the river to flood the fortress. Secondly it would cause the front entrance to cave-in, trapping their malefactors inside a watery tomb they could never escape.

It was a grim reality that the dwarves might not live to see the next day, but they wanted to insure that those who slayed them would not either. With their plans set at the dawning of the day the dwarves had but one thing left to do. None of twenty migrants had braught weapons with them, nor any armor. It was Tindels duty, therefore, to arm them as best he could.

For some strange reason the Baron had sent a great deal of useless items with this group of migrants. Pots, pans, and giant iron skillets for cooking served as helmets,shields, and breast plates. Wood axes, pick axes, and mason’s hammers served as battle axes, war picks, and mauls. There was a large shipment of wooden staves that were to be used for stiring leather tannin, these were made into spears quite readily. Before the goblin army had begun to march all of the dwarves were likewise prepared for battle.

It was Tindel’s opinion that dwarves faught harder when they faught with their kin, such as it was each family was tasked with a certain objective. The brothers were sent out onto the mountain side above their outpost to scout out the goblin army. The five members of  family Jadecastle where to man Armok’s Alley to the death along side the Moreblades. When the time came Umano Diresting was to hide and pull the lead wire that would cause the fortress to flood. Finally the families Kirkstand, Papersong, Mossbone, Riverrun, and Moonsaw would all fight together in the halls above. They were to harass the goblins and fall back deeper into the fortress through hidden passages. The idea behind their action being that they would enrage the goblins into delving deeper, running into even more traps.

Everyone was as prepared as they could be, and they could feel the entire mountain tremble as the goblin army began their decent down the mountainside. The day found the two brothers picking through the mountainside in search of this army. As stealthy as they could be the two searched in the direction of the drums, until finally the massive army came into their view.

“Oi! Look at all of them!” Railick called to his brother, his stubby arm pointing up higher on the mountain. There, like a flow of green slime, marched the uncountable hordes of Stronghold TatteredMoon. Balick’s eye grew wide as he saw them and he knew at once that there were not enough traps in the world to stop this army.

“Brudder, what are we gonna do? Tindel’s toys ain’t gonna be enough!” Bailick spoke the obvious, but it needed to be said aloud. Railick could only nod his agreement as the army marched closer. They moved faster than the brothers expected, and before long the front runners were almost on top of them. The brothers looked to one another, hiding behind an over hanging stone. They knew that once the first goblins past them that they would be noticed, so they had to act fast.

Inspiration hit Railick then, like a divine bolt of lightning clearing away all the fog in his mind. With wide glowing eyes Railick looked at his brother. His grubby dwarf fist slammed into the palm of his opposing hand, the universal sign that Bailick understood all to well. A rotten grin spread across Bailick’s lips then, and both brothers jumped out from their hiding place.

The goblin horde saw them at once and arrows begin to sail down the mountain from high above. The reaction time was incredible, but it wasn’t nearly fast enough. The dwarves were of the mountain, it was their home now. All mountains bent to the will of the dwarf, and this one was no different!

“Oi gobos! Kin ye swim in a sea of stone?!” Railick roared out at the top of his lungs, his pick axe held high over his head. Bailick mimicked his brother and shouted something so vile and crude that I dare not repeat it here-in. The two struck the stone then, like they’d never done before. Fueled by the blood rage of Armok their picks cleft the mountain in twain. An entire shelf of stone turned to pebble in an instant and the mountain side began to slide at once. Goblins were thrown and crushed in the unstoppable tide of rock, their pretty armor no match for mother earth’s fury.

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: January 15, 2008, 05:11:00 pm »

Beyond Quality!
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

AlanL

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: January 15, 2008, 05:27:00 pm »

I like how you portrayed the goblins. Reminds me of the orcs from Gothic in a way.

Excellent, thank you  :)

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #57 on: January 15, 2008, 05:37:00 pm »

Never played Gothic, though I always wanted to. I played Gothic 3 for about 15 minutes. I gave up when I beat the living hell out of 4 orcs at their camp site, then as I tried to figure out how to loot them they all stood back up O.O and went back to their fire. One of them said something along the lines of "Now you've learned your lesson, don't try that again." I Was just like WTF?! I just killed you! Turns out you gotta finish off orcs when they're on the ground or something like that. Its actually kinda cool but I just never got into it again after that. It sucked the energy out of my computer like a leech (even though it runs Oblivion and Half Life 2 ect without issue and highest FPS) I find these German games have the most potential and fail hardest because they don't have giant dev teams to fix the bugs. OR they publish their game in English and never support it again since they've made their upfront money. Jowood is really bad about that   :( Silent Storm was a bad ass game but it had so many bugs I couldn't play it past a certain point ( never did get the panzer exo-suit things   :( ) Any how! On with the story!

Railick Stonemane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Stonemane Library
« Reply #58 on: January 15, 2008, 08:14:00 pm »

The entire mountain shook for what seemed like an eternity and all Tindel could do was covering his head with his hands and hope for the best. His spot in Armok’s alley seemed like it could crush him at any moment. He wasn’t sure what had happened; maybe the goblins had decided to dig into the tunnels instead of attacking directly.  Perhaps the marching horde was so vast that it was causing the tunnels to cave-in directly on their heads, again he could not be sure.

As the moments past it was clear that their tunnels weren’t going to crush them alive, for their workdwarfship was of the high quality. The supports they had used were all holding, even the flood gate remained perfectly in place. Finally the mountain came to rest, leaving Tindel to wonder what exactly had happened.

That would have to wait for later, however, as the vibrations from marching goblins again started to shake the stone. He wasn’t sure how he knew, but he was sure that the brothers had caused whatever had happened. With a quick prayer to the gods for his friends Tindel got into position and waited for the attack.

The beat of the drums began to echo into the halls, though not as loud as Tindel had expected. Maybe they had over estimated the number of goblins; perhaps they had a chance after all? Then it came, the roar of the goblin charge. The mountain shook again as they came, and their roar was soon followed by screams of pain. A lewd smile spread across Tindel’s lips, his traps were doing their dirty work.

The first element to reach the entrance from above did not hesitate to attack. They had watched as thousands of their brothers were buried in shallow stone tombs, and they were enraged beyond self control. So it was that the bravest and most foolish of the remaining goblins rushed into the halls of Stonemane the Brave.

The very first goblin to set foot into the entrance tunnel was rewarded for his bravery with a crude wooden spear to the stomach. The freshly carved weapon had sprung up from the very stone and pierced him clear through to his spine. The goblin directly behind him was running so fast that he too was impaled on this wooden lance, pushing the first goblin’s still living body even further onto it.

So it went that the first goblin to take a step deeper into the dwarven halls was compensated thusly. Heads were removed by spinning blades of jagged stone, skulls were smashed by falling blocks, and legs were ripped off by overly powerful snares. The deeper they got into the maze the harder it was
to go forward.

One small group of goblins thought they had made it clear of the traps, running side by side down what seemed like a promising tunnel. This, of course, was exactly what Tindel had expected. So it was that the goblins had a most surprised look on their faces when a series of wooden planks swung down from the ceiling, running each goblin through with foot long spikes.

Some traps were more complex than others, and even the most simple of traps killed. Down one tunnel the mason had hammered two ended nails into the ground, each a foot long. With the goblins so focused on the walls and ceilings for traps none of them noticed until they’d already slammed their feet onto the sharp spikes.

Every tunnel that came to a dead end had one last surprise for the goblins that had discovered it. Each passageway had a small pressure plate installed with a simple jack attached to it. Every goblin that stepped on the plate caused the jack to go up another step, pushing a critical block loose a bit more with each level. After ten or so steps that block would fall out of place, and that entire section of tunnel would cave in on the goblins heads.

So it went for several moments, the seconds seemed to stretch out into hours, the minutes into days. One after another the goblin horde succumbed to Tindel’s clever traps, each one as surprised as the last. This didn’t appear to slow their advance however as soon the old antechamber was breached.

Even as a large group of goblin warriors made their way into the antechamber at full speed their brothers were still discovering the wrong paths. So as these lucky goblins began to explore the chamber they’re brothers were being buried alive all around them. The screams of their kin did little to slow them, indeed it enraged them still further.

This room slowed the warriors up, as there were no obvious exits from it. It seemed to them that they had found another dead end. Still the room continued to fill with goblins, even though the first inside had set off a timer for the most deadly trap of all. None of them could guess that there were more traps to come, for the ones they had already seen were all insidious.

More than a two hundred goblins had crammed into the antechamber before the trap began to go off. It started simply enough, with the entrance to the chamber closing with a boom. It was then that the goblins realized that they had made a dire mistake. Heat began to filter into the air tight chamber from an unknown source; the air began to get thin quickly.

With all those goblins breathing up the air and hidden fires burning away the rest it didn’t take long for panic to spread. Soon they began to tear at one another, trying desperately to find a way out. As the hidden fires continued to burn the air in the room was slowly used up. The goblins lungs burned, their vision blurred, and they began to stagger into each other. Soon a group of two hundred powerful warriors were reduced to a pile of corpses, all having suffocated on the spot.

After a set time the entrance to the chamber reopened, air rushing back into the room as the semi vacuum seal was broken. The goblins that stood waiting on the other side were taken aback by the sight of their fallen comrades. They there lay, without a scratch on them, dead as could be. Again the pressure of the horde forced those goblins at the fore front into the room; soon another two hundred goblins met their fate at the hands of Tindel’s most insidious trap.

Hundreds upon hundreds upon hundreds of goblins were slain by this trap, for every time the door would open another group was forced to enter. Soon the hidden fires ran out of fuel and the corpses of goblins stopped the entrance door from closing all the way. Tindel had prepared for this however, and as it became clear the trap would no longer function new doors were opened in the room.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------   

Baltrog was incensed; nearly four fifths of his army had been destroyed in the massive land slide! He should have seen it coming, should have expected filthy dwarves to try something like this. The years of peace had dulled his mind, he thought, he was not the commander he once was! Still, he ordered his remaining troops to attack. The two dwarves that had triggered the land slide had been buried by it; he had seen that much with his own eyes.

This was not their style, dwarves preferred to meet on the field of battle or fight to the death in their halls. This must be a very small group of them, he calculated, other wise they wouldn’t resort to such filthy tricks. Though he only had one fifth of his army left he still had over two thousand troops. Surely they would be able to crush these disgusting stone mites!

As he drove his minions into their tunnels he heard no reports, no news from inside. The only way he could decide how the battle was going was to watch the flow of troops. If they were flowing into the tunnels faster that meant they were doing well, they were making a lot of progress. Of course, this could also mean that they were dieing by the hundreds!

As Tindel’s master trap went off the flow of goblins into the dwarven halls stopped suddenly. There was simply no more room in the remaining entrance tunnels to fit more troops inside. The warriors that were jammed in were being injured by traps that had already sprung long ago. Their comrades pushing them forward impaled them on spear traps that already killed four goblins before. They ran onto nail traps that had already been stepped on a hundred times before.

This sudden delay was unacceptable; the giant spiders began to tear into the rear ranks that were just standing around waiting to enter. The suddenly slow pace of the battle drove Baltrog mad, and his madness infected his command and control platoon. Soon the giant arachnids were inflicting more casualties on the army than even the dwarven traps could have done.

Every now and again a hundred or two hundred more troops would stream into the halls, but always they would halt. Their punishment was death, and the spiders feasted on the flesh of goblins. The goblins waiting on the mountainside had no choice but to flee their masters, and so the remaining army was scattered into the mountains.

“No! No you cowards! Come back! Fight for your Lord! I will kill you all!” Baltrog’s cries echoed across the mountain side. His vicious screams did not convince a single goblin to return; in fact it insured that they never would. Baltrog had effectively routed his own army in his fury, defeated himself.

They were not yet totally defeated however, for hundreds of goblin warriors were still packed tightly into the tunnels where the giant spiders could not fit. Their only choice was to go deeper, and once the trap had run its course they did just this. Outside their commanders raged, but inside the troops continued deeper.

Twenty one dwarves remained to stand against hundreds of mad goblin warriors. Their best traps had been spent, now was time for personal combat. So it was that the leading warriors of the goblin horde made first contact with their dwarven enemies. This battle would go down in history as one of the bloodiest conflicts in all the land.

<that is it for me tonight, time for me to go home! I didn't have a lot of time to proofread it so this might be worse than normal in that area. Still, I wanted to post it tonight so you could read it now instead of waiting for tomorrow morning   :) Tomorrow we get down into the dirty details of personal combat between dwarf and goblin!>

Xotes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: January 15, 2008, 09:27:00 pm »

Er, what happened to the other three surviving members of the founding group. They WERE sent along, right?
Quote from: Josephus
"Compatibility mode", dude. If he tries running it under "capatability mode" some terrible thing involving elder gods will probably happen.
Quote from: Aqizzar
You say that like it's not a good time to discuss weird people. It's always a good time to discuss weird people.
Quote from: freeformschooler
I was like, ha, this looks like a pretty dumb and boring game. I was so wrong. Gentlemen, I have discovered true fun.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 10