Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress graphics repositories  (Read 97336 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Dwarf Fortress graphics repositories
« Reply #255 on: October 11, 2016, 12:34:47 pm »

Also, I think it would cause blank sprites if one graphics set has hunting/war sprites for an animal but another does not.
It would crash at worldgen. If a graphics file directs to an image that does not exist, the game crashes to desktop.

I think it might not crash if the graphics are for creatures that do not exist in the game.
This is fine. Graphics yes, creature no = no problem.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: October 11, 2016, 05:59:27 pm »

Sorry, I didn't say it very well. Missing PNG files don't make the game freeze or crash if those PNGs were only needed for creatures that don't exist in the game.

I think it doesn't cause a crash to have "graphics_*.txt" files with missing PNG files, if they are for a creatures that aren't in the /raw/objects/.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: October 12, 2016, 09:25:51 pm »

I'm having a problem with Mayday. I need to balance having editable versions for graphics authors with having low-disk space versions for inclusion in distributed packs.

I want to move all of Mayday's uncompressed editable graphics to something like a "dev" folder in the root directory and replace them with compressed flattened versions. Eventually I'd probably want to do something like this with other packs and would like to have a consistently-named folder in every pack to make it easy for script users to remove this folder automatically.

Is this okay to do? If so, any opinions on what the folder should be called?

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: October 12, 2016, 10:12:04 pm »

Sounds good.  "source" is a traditional name, and add a source/README.md file that explains how to convert the source to output version.
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: October 12, 2016, 11:25:06 pm »

It's not saving as much space as I thought it would. Every bit helps, though, I guess.

New flat compressed graphics: 2.3 MB (1.3 MB zipped)
Old uncompressed graphics:5.9 MB (4.6 MB zipped)

Note: 1 MB = 1000000 bytes

add a source/README.md file that explains how to convert the source to output version.
I don't know if that's necessary. There are flat versions ready for distribution in the normal locations. To turn the layered versions into flat versions, you just have a graphics program flatten the layers. That would probably happen anyone to someone editing those files who wasn't aware that they had layers. Edit: Just thought of something to write there that should be helpful for graphics artists.

To make this ready for a pack, just delete the "source" folder and it should be ready-to-go.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 11:55:26 pm by jecowa »

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • [EASILY_DISTRA
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: November 18, 2016, 05:21:16 pm »

Is there any working standard for including graphics extensions?  I have done a spectacularly bad job of imitating the art styles of three graphics packs, and would like to slip these into the next release of my mod (in addition to any other unwise extensions between now and when PyLNP officially supports the standard).

Default (32x32)

DungeonSet (24x24)

GemSet (24x24)

CLA (18x18)

GemSet and CLA may be nigh-invisible in the forum's light color scheme.

Edit: Corrected one image.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2016, 05:25:35 pm by Dirst »
Just got back, updating:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: November 18, 2016, 05:56:45 pm »

Those look good, Dirst.

Mods don't have graphics support yet in PyLNP. The best method at this point is to install the mod graphics into the graphics packs. Note that installing mods removes the graphics folders, so you will have to go back to the Graphics tab and double-click on the graphics pack you want to use after installing a mod.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: November 30, 2017, 06:00:16 am »

The default tile for Display Cases seems good. (It uses the Bookcase tile.) But for the more graphical packs, it might be a good idea to switch the tile for Pedestal. I'm thinking about changing the Pedestal on the graphical packs to lowercase "i" for now, then if we ever get custom graphics for them, we can set TwbT Overrides for them in the future.

These are the one's that could benefit from a different tile for the Pedestal:
  • Afro
  • Ironhand
  • Mayday
  • Obsidian
  • Phoebus
  • Rally Ho!
  • Spacefox
Or maybe it doesn't matter so much what the Pedestal looks like since you only really see it when it's empty?

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #263 on: November 30, 2017, 07:26:55 am »

Are there no free tiles left in the tilesets? Or is the issue just that there is no graphical tile for them yet?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: November 30, 2017, 02:18:28 pm »

Both. There's was never any extra space on the main tilesheet. It's always been a balancing act there. I haven't drawn anything for any of these yet. The chair being shaped like a little stool might make it a good fallback tile for the pedestal for people playing without TwbT, but then that would make it easy to get confused with real chairs. Maybe the pedestal is important enough as a decorative item to get its own tile on the main tilesheet? I wouldn't really know what to move around, though, and I'm not much of an artist.

The flask (n6) might make an okay pedestal in Phoebus, Mayday, Ironhand, and Afro.
Spoiler: Phoebus (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Mayday (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Ironhand (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Afro (click to show/hide)

Maybe tile e16 in Rally Ho! and Obsidian
Spoiler: Rally Ho! (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Obsidian (click to show/hide)

And maybe tile m6 in Spacefox
Spoiler: Spacefox (click to show/hide)

Ultimuh

• Bay Watcher
  • BOOM! Avatar gone! (for now)
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: December 02, 2017, 02:48:20 pm »

Just waiting for one of these to update.
I prefer playing with a tile/graphics set rather than plain ASCII.

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: December 09, 2017, 12:45:14 pm »

Spacefox has a Pedestal graphic and Dwarf sprites for the new professions thanks to Nopal and CLA.

These ones all have tiles set for the new Pedestal but don't have graphics for the v0.44 professions:

* Mayday
 * Phoebus
 * Ironhand

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
TWBT and non-TWBT versions
« Reply #267 on: January 01, 2018, 08:52:18 pm »

Having separate versions of files for TWBT and non-TWBT installs is becoming more important what with TWBT multi-layer rendering on the main tilesheet and TWBT unit transparency on the creature graphics.

Spoiler: quote jecows (click to show/hide)

That would break the desirable property that copying graphics over a DF install correctly installs the graphics - we want them to be very simple to do manually or automatically.

An alternative approach (which I prefer) would be to add "twbt_data" and "raw/twbt_objects" folders, and copy them over the non-twbt pack if TwbT is enabled.  Regardless, any further discussion should happen in the DFgraphics thread, as it's not really about the Starter Pack.

This layout sounds good. Maybe a "twbt_data" folder and a "twbt_raw" folder so that it can have separate creature graphics too. I'm working on TWBT creature graphics right now.

Some data in case you are worried about the additional creature graphics taking up too much space. (tl;dr - I would guess they would make a LNP with all the graphics packs take up less than 5 more MB in total.)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Edit: finished Ironhand creatures. The Ironhand TWBT creature graphics are less than 0.3 MB. Old ones were around 0.7 MB.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2018, 05:03:37 am by jecowa »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #268 on: January 02, 2018, 09:46:03 am »

Curious thing I noticed about the creature file space.

The new -bg file is only black and white, mostly transparent. The original file suddenly has a lot more transparency instead of solid colors. This lead to a file-size reduction in the latter, that makes up for the file-size of the new file.

Example: My original creature_domestic was 100kb... now, with transparency it's only 31kb, plus 7kb for the -bg file.

In addition to that, most tileset authors can save about 50% size on all creature graphics by removing the war/hunting versions. Most sets I've seen just brute-force that, make a war/hunting version for every creature... but only 22 creatures out of 767 are actually trainable.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 06, 2018, 02:07:32 am »

In addition to that, most tileset authors can save about 50% size on all creature graphics by removing the war/hunting versions. Most sets I've seen just brute-force that, make a war/hunting version for every creature... but only 22 creatures out of 767 are actually trainable.

Thanks for the info! I was trying to figure out how you determined which animals were trainable and found 3 tags: [TRAINABLE], [TRAINABLE_WAR], and [TRAINABLE_HUNTING]. These are the 22 creatures with those tags:

[TRAINABLE] (trainable for war or hunting):
1.DOG  creature_domestic.txt
2.BEAR_GRIZZLY  creature_large_temperate.txt
3.PANDA, GIGANTIC  creature_large_temperate.txt
4.ELEPHANT  creature_large_tropical.txt
5.LION  creature_large_tropical.txt
6.LEOPARD  creature_large_tropical.txt
7.JAGUAR  creature_large_tropical.txt
8.TIGER  creature_large_tropical.txt
9.CHEETAH  creature_large_tropical.txt
10.MANDRILL  creature_large_tropical.txt
11.GORILLA  creature_large_tropical.txt
12.BEAR_POLAR  creature_large_tundra.txt
13.JABBERER  creature_next_underground.txt
14.CAVE_DRAGON  creature_next_underground.txt
15.DRAGON  creature_standard.txt
16.BIRD_ROC  creature_standard.txt
17.BOBCAT  creature_temperate_new.txt
18.OCELOT  creature_tropical_new.txt
19.LYNX  creature_tundra_taiga_new.txt

[TRAINABLE_HUNTING]:
20.BAT_GIANT  creature_subterranean.txt
21.BIRD_SWALLOW_CAVE_GIANT  creature_subterranean.txt

[TRAINABLE_WAR]:
22.RHINOCEROS  creature_large_tropical.txt

With only 20 creatures trainable for war and 21 trainable for hunting, it's quite a bit more be feasible to give them more than an icon. Maybe a piece of armor for war animals and a scarf for hunting animals?

Edit: With the tag inheriting thing, maybe the _giant and _man versions could also be trainable?
« Last Edit: January 06, 2018, 02:16:08 am by jecowa »
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20