Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 234 235 [236] 237

Author Topic: Mafia Marathon  (Read 220662 times)

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
Re: Mafia Marathon (Semi-bastard) Game Over!
« Reply #3525 on: December 29, 2016, 08:58:19 pm »

Yeah, your flavor was definitely a bit confusing.  Like, there are definitely two interpretations, judging how we, you know, all everyone but hector believed it...

*cough*

Though I will accept that it was the final round of a long bastard game, and you guys have a tendency to over complicate things :p

Having noted the phrase "your desire to kill" within that flavour though... I'm struggling to see how you came to the conclusion he was a survivor, though I have the benefit of absolute knowledge regarding the round.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
  • Gonna one-up FoU - with an FG in my personal text!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3526 on: December 30, 2016, 01:33:09 am »

Here it is - the FINAL RESULTS! Ladies and gentleman, may I present to you the winners of Mafia Marathon...

...FallacyofUrist and hector13!

Here is the Victory Point breakdown:

hector13: 12
FallacyofUrist: 12
TheBiggerFish: 11
Starver: 9
TMS / EP: 4

I would also like to thank everybody who played the game: hector13, FallacyofUrist, TheBiggerFish, Starver, The Moonlit Shadow, Elephant Parade, Shakerag, vishdafish, TheDarkStar! I am so thankful that all of you were here! I hope to see you guys again in my other games!
The quantum cannonball hits you in the face and misses!
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3527 on: December 30, 2016, 01:34:04 am »

Bother!

Ah well, GG all!
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3528 on: December 30, 2016, 01:36:32 am »

Also, I only have PMs accounting for 10 points, unless I won as a proper Scum once.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3529 on: December 30, 2016, 01:59:28 am »

Thoughts?
That's a really good review of the rounds. Simple, but it really helps me see it from your point of view. Anyway, my thoughts on the rounds? Well, I'm the one who made them, so I'll be biased, but I gotta say that they did feel more complex interesting as time went on. The early rounds were still good, but in a simple sort of way (might be because there were only 4 players, but the rounds felt simpler mechanic-wise as well).

Well, that's my thoughts on it, now I have a question of my own:

What are your opinions on the rounds being based off each stanza of "Fingertips?" Was it a cool idea? Was it a cheap gimmick? Does it make the rounds feel that much better, or should I have not tried to conform to anything and instead made my rounds from scratch?

And while I'm on that topic - yeah, I know my hints weren't that easy to find. My magnificent powers of hindsight reveal to me I fell into the standard trap - armed with all the knowledge of the rounds, the secret seemed more obvious to me than it did to you. It's a bit of a downer that only one person really found out in the end, but I guess that's better than no one.

Oh right.

They were tentative, but enough to work with, particularly seeing as the "answer" to one of the hints was mentioned specifically in the thread someplace.
You're referring to the one where I say something like "it's a song by my favorite band," right? Here's the link:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=155932.msg6998257;topicseen#msg6998257

Also, how will we do the quote page? With the length of this thread, there will be a lot of good quotes - should I set up a google docs where we can compile them before we post them in-thread?
Money!
GENERATION grisha5: The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3530 on: December 30, 2016, 02:03:07 am »

Also, I only have PMs accounting for 10 points, unless I won as a proper Scum once.
Let no one say you're not honest - but you once sent in "keep" before I asked you about it, so that probably messed up your search. I double-checked, you have 11 points.
Money!

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3531 on: December 30, 2016, 02:04:04 am »

Let no one say you're not honest - but you once sent in "keep" before I asked you about it, so that probably messed up your search. I double-checked, you have 11 points.
Ah.
Sigtext

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3532 on: December 30, 2016, 02:51:29 am »

I just kept alternating Keep and Forfeit, in the early days, I think, exvept when I lost track.

Got some interesting gifts.  One being an increasingly unreliable Neutrality dectector, which helped in perhaps one round total (IIRC, the first time it fired, I was the Neutral.  Two others being the two bonus rounds just for my benefit.  Sorry, they were my fault...  ;)

(I wasn't sure if I was stressing Tomasque's ability to handle my forfeits, so I started Keeping more until the third option wrrived.)

Then I got the chance to see other people's received gifts (boring lot...  :P  ...the first couple of targets hadn't spent anything on such gifts by that point, and seemingly never did afterwards).  Sill, fun to do.  ;)
« Last Edit: December 30, 2016, 02:54:01 am by Starver »

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3533 on: December 30, 2016, 08:07:24 am »

Rather surprised about that, I went on a forfeit binge during the middle rounds, and snooped on Starver one time.

I got one useful mystery prize, that allowed me to know when there were three of the same archetype in the round, but it only triggered once. I did enjoy trying to figure out where the source was, didn't quite get it in the end, though I at least got to the album it was from :))
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3534 on: December 30, 2016, 01:50:04 pm »

It's a testament to how good of a player hector is that he went on a forfeit binge and tied with me... somebody who never forfeited.

GG.

Very GG.
~~~
What are your opinions on the rounds being based off each stanza of "Fingertips?" Was it a cool idea? Was it a cheap gimmick? Does it make the rounds feel that much better, or should I have not tried to conform to anything and instead made my rounds from scratch?

And while I'm on that topic - yeah, I know my hints weren't that easy to find. My magnificent powers of hindsight reveal to me I fell into the standard trap - armed with all the knowledge of the rounds, the secret seemed more obvious to me than it did to you. It's a bit of a downer that only one person really found out in the end, but I guess that's better than no one.
There were hints?
~~~
Also, how will we do the quote page? With the length of this thread, there will be a lot of good quotes - should I set up a google docs where we can compile them before we post them in-thread?
Yeh, sure.
~~~
Questions:
1. Could Imitate only be used once per day?
2. Could you post a list of all the forfeit benefits you planned?
3. Who was Daryll Cricket? And how did he die?
~~~
Now if you excuse me, I'm nominating this game for the Notable Games Archive.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3535 on: December 30, 2016, 04:05:51 pm »

There were hints?
~~~
Questions:
1. Could Imitate only be used once per day?
2. Could you post a list of all the forfeit benefits you planned?
3. Who was Daryll Cricket? And how did he die?
The hints were mostly from forfeiting victory points, but there were occasional hints in-thread (abilities  named after verses in the song (ex: Fish's ability in the messaging round), and flavor text paralleling some of the lyrics (the Stalker's flavor). The in-thread hints were even more unnoticeable, and really served as tests to see if any of you already knew the song.

1. Imitate? Do you mean the Imitator's fight ability? They should have been able to use it multiple times per day, but I forgot to write that. That round was a clusterfuck anyway, so it doesn't surprise me I didn't catch it. Sorry about that.
2. I would if I could, but I lost all of my original notes. I can make a list of forfeits I gave, and the few extra ones I remember.
3. Darryl Cricket was an NPC - he didn't have any connection to the other characters. He was planned to die the first night, so that there would be a reason to do the court session, and so that anyone who visited him would be suspect. Flavorwise, it's never started whether the Voodoo Master was responsible for his death, and I left out open on purpose. Why? I just never felt like defining it.
Money!

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3536 on: December 30, 2016, 05:33:38 pm »

It's a testament to how good of a player hector is that he went on a forfeit binge and tied with me... somebody who never forfeited.

Nah, I think it was mostly an experience thing. I don't know if Starver has much experience elsewhere playing Mafia, but I'm reasonably sure he said this was among his first round these parts, and I think this was TBF's first too.

I had played a lot with you and Moonlit so I was more familiar with how you both played, which was beneficial for reading you for the most part.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3537 on: December 30, 2016, 06:31:20 pm »

Around my first, yeah.
Sigtext

Tomasque

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Money!

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3539 on: December 31, 2016, 06:50:57 am »

To help Tomasque out with the information I can reprovide back again. Formatted in as good a Player-Friendy format as I could.  (Took ages to transfer!) Forfeit and Snoop details to follow, as I finally want to post this... :)

RoundFallacyFishHectorStarverMoonlit/EP
1 Town winPsychologist
1VP
Firefighter
1VP
ArsonistLibrarian
1VP Keep
n/a
2 Town WinStranglerThiefDetective
1VP
Pianist
1VP-1 Forfeit #1