Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 52

Author Topic: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)  (Read 132721 times)

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06) - DON'T PANIC
« Reply #180 on: June 06, 2016, 11:50:36 am »

- Cage traps are the answer. Aside from the Titan, every single zombie is trappable. I'm making copper cages.
Fight them yourself you blubbering Armok-damn pansies. Zombies are weak, and I didn't train this militia for nothing.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 11:57:24 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #181 on: June 06, 2016, 12:13:39 pm »

I only suffered 1 casualty during all the fights. (in the military that is) Also, dont touch the crossbow squad. They only started training
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: June 06, 2016, 01:57:14 pm »

I can't really tell you how everything went to shit, but I can tell you what's still here, so that'll have to do.

GROUP ONE
 - Flame the medic
 - Gwolfski the wounded marksdwarf
 - Zefon the mayor/milker (has pick)
 - Mebzuth the marksdwarf
 - Sodel the ghostly farmer
 - A gorlak

Gwolfski and Mebzuth were thrown far enough from the fight that they went to the hospital. Flame was treating them when they locked themselves in. Gwolfski's right arm is gone at the elbow, Mebzuth only has flesh wounds. Zefon grabbed a pick, locked himself in the dining hall, and mined through to the hospital. Sodel just sort of showed up, she's been around a while. The gorlak was already there.

The group has a pick, a bit of food, plenty of alcohol, a well, beds, and medical supplies. They also have muddy ground and some unharvested plants. Their biggest problem is food, since they only have 9 raw fish, 18 tallow, and 27 prepared meals. They can survive longer by cooking alcohol. They are currently walling themselves in.

GROUP TWO
 - Andreas the miner
 - Atis the child, Andreus's son
 - Kadol the child/legendary stonecrafter, Mebzuth's son

This group is locked in some of the bedrooms. They don't have food, water, or a way to wall themselves in. They have a pick and clothes, which is about the only thing going for them. They are getting hungry and thirsty.

So what do I do now? Some options:
 - Go out in a blaze of glory, start a new fort
 - Let group two die, save group one, reclaim from there
 - Combine both groups, reclaim from there
 - Go full hax and have Flame kill everything
 - Go full hax and have a visitor kill everything
 - Go full hax and make the husks hostile to undead
 - Go partial hax and make the ghost and gorlak into citizens

Senshuken

• Bay Watcher
  • Defend till the end.
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: June 06, 2016, 02:01:11 pm »

Well, Senshuken didn't last long... through I take comfort in the fact that pretty much the whole fortress died with him because due to the actions of several overseers we now have a husked titan running around inside of the fortress.

Honestly, I say combine both groups and reclaim from there. Andreas isn't about to let his son die when he can do something about it after all!
Cause every silver lining has a cloud, and it won't be alright on the night; There's nothing at the end of the rainbow and there's a tunnel at the end of the light!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #184 on: June 06, 2016, 02:06:43 pm »

For screenshots, install Greenshot. Works great on Windows 10.  Husks are stupidly powerful.

The situation is salvageable:

- For food, head to the caverns if possible, and use plant gathering. You'll get enough to survive and get seeds. If you have one with any skill, you can actually feed a fort on it it alone.
 - Have group two head to the caverns if you're above the aquifer. Husks and zombies can easily get lost. Put them in a squad so you can rapidly move them from point to point. Get plants and such.
 - Make potash if you can make/get a bucket for the ashery. You can get stupid amounts of food very fast that way.
 - Make soap, get the hospital fully working. We can work with what you have.

EDIT: do you have enough room to build a jewelerys workshop? The right most tiles are impassable. I can't remember if Salo is a building destoryer, but that might buy you time.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 02:16:29 pm by NCommander »
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 06, 2016, 02:22:00 pm »

Okay, I'll have Andreus start digging toward the other group. I'll cook some meals using tallow as the base and the rest alcohol. I'll set up a fishery and clean the fish.

It's great that both kids have living parents. I think I'll enable child labor via Therapist because having 2/7 living dwarves as children is serious business.

I also got Greenshot so I should be able to take pictures from now on.

EDIT: Hold on a baby-smashing second, there's a huge aquifer between Andreus and the rest, and everywhere is full of zombies. I think they're fucked.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 02:25:21 pm by TheFlame52 »

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 06, 2016, 02:28:58 pm »

Oh, well we had a trained militia anyway.

I do believe this situation is salvageable. Pull Sanctume's lever labeled "Right Bridge Lock," next to the stairs leading down to the mining ramp. The south lock is already closed off, so the stone fortress will be completely secure. Your best bet is to wall off the section of the fortress with the titan while it's busy smashing things (there's a lot of things to smash). You'll want to have someone expendable do it though, and try to at least salvage the masonry workshops and magma forge. If the animal stockpile is reachable (which it should be, it's directly connected to my stone fortress), you can slaughter some crundles for food (mind the skin and scales).

You can begin training dwarves for combat (very quickly) in the temple of Kidet, if there are any weapons lying around.

If you can get Andreus and company to dig to the Lever Control Room, they can probably seal off the rest of the fortress from the surface.

(also it's about time those dudes were dorfed, we got people waiting)
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 04:03:01 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #187 on: June 06, 2016, 02:33:26 pm »

Okay, I'll have Andreus start digging toward the other group. I'll cook some meals using tallow as the base and the rest alcohol. I'll set up a fishery and clean the fish.

It's great that both kids have living parents. I think I'll enable child labor via Therapist because having 2/7 living dwarves as children is serious business.

I also got Greenshot so I should be able to take pictures from now on.

EDIT: Hold on a baby-smashing second, there's a huge aquifer between Andreus and the rest, and everywhere is full of zombies. I think they're fucked.

Can you post the save as it is now so I can take a look? I'd like to think a couple of dwarven military masters could definately engineer a way to keep us going without having to indulge in child labor ;).

For Andreus, maybe head to the surface, then channel down closer to the other group? Zombies shouldn't engage if there isn't a nercomancer if no one gets too close. Use traffic designations to get everyone to walk in a straight line. Though if you've got the aquifer, you've got water. If you can reach a room with plants, get them to pick them for food. It might keep them alive until rescue. You can breach an aquifer pretty quickly if you come in from below with group 2.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 06, 2016, 02:37:38 pm »

Well there are lots of stupid adventurers trying to get into the fortress, if you can trick them into confronting the zombies, or baiting them outside, they might be able to clear a path to the lever for a citizen.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 02:41:26 pm by Spish »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #189 on: June 06, 2016, 02:52:10 pm »

Looking at the map, I think I know where group 1 and group 2 are respectively.

Group 1 can't easily get to the caverns, but they're on dirt. There are some plump helment and sweet pod plants growing you can pick.

If Group 2 is where I think it is, Breach the big room to the right of the bedrooms. You've got plants to pick, and then channel to the aquifer. That should get you at least one stone for a masonary plug. They'll only have water, but it should keep them alive until you can get crops. We'll have to let them sit until we can rescue them.

We might be able to use the aquifer to our advantage. I don't think zombies will path through 7/7 water normally. We could use that to isolate parts of the fort with selective breaches. If we can slowly flood the lower part of the fort, and get an opening then can reach safely, they may be able to swim out.

EDIT: Actually, if memory serves. Non-breathing units tend to glitch in water. They won't try to path out. If we can submerge the zombies, they should just stay in place.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 02:58:08 pm by NCommander »

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: June 06, 2016, 03:00:09 pm »

This is the entire fort, minus a little water source under that channel in the first image.

Well there are lots of stupid adventurers trying to get into the fortress, if you can trick them into confronting the zombies, or baiting them outside, they might be able to clear a path to the lever for a citizen.
The fort is sealed off from the surface, and the surface is almost cleared. I might use some strategic meeting zones to get some visitors to kill the last zombies.

You know, I'm feeling really burned out right now. I have done nothing but save succession forts for like six turns. I'll play more tomorrow.

Looking at the map, I think I know where group 1 and group 2 are respectively.

Group 1 can't easily get to the caverns, but they're on dirt. There are some plump helment and sweet pod plants growing you can pick.

If Group 2 is where I think it is, Breach the big room to the right of the bedrooms. You've got plants to pick, and then channel to the aquifer. That should get you at least one stone for a masonary plug. They'll only have water, but it should keep them alive until you can get crops. We'll have to let them sit until we can rescue them.

We might be able to use the aquifer to our advantage. I don't think zombies will path through 7/7 water normally. We could use that to isolate parts of the fort with selective breaches. If we can slowly flood the lower part of the fort, and get an opening then can reach safely, they may be able to swim out.

EDIT: Actually, if memory serves. Non-breathing units tend to glitch in water. They won't try to path out. If we can submerge the zombies, they should just stay in place.
I was going to flood the fort for the hell of it anyway.

Gwolfski

• Bay Watcher
  • Strawberries!
    • View Profile
    • ignore pls!
« Reply #191 on: June 06, 2016, 03:05:26 pm »

My dwarf was a good axedwarf. Did she (i think) lose her axe arm?

AS for group 2, forbid the door. It shouldn't be touched . If they have a pick, dig untill 3 rock is found. block entrance.

group 1. Pretty good situation. Enable plant agthering only on dwarf(s) with the highest skill. Gather plants, plant. make some slabs, slab ghosts.
Eventually when you go far enough the insane start becoming the sane

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #192 on: June 06, 2016, 03:08:41 pm »

Group 2 has floor. Tear it up. There's your plug, then go up and reach one of the sealed airlocks if any still exist. There's you're food. Hope it helps. And good luck.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 06, 2016, 03:16:03 pm »

It's good to see that Group 1 has my glorious dragon wall to admire.

I planned ahead and made sure the stone fortress could be sealed off in just such an event.

These are the only two parts connecting the Group 1 area to the rest of the fortress. The first one is already sealed, if you can close the latter (the bloody gate on the right), they will be able to roam the stone fortress unhindered.
Locking these doors is also an option.

You can funnel visitors in by putting up "Cyclopean Snacks" signs and letting them in through the south airlock. It's a short sprint down the hall from the dining hall to the lever room, you can lock someone in there.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
I am assuming that Salo entered through Sanctume's/Gwolfski's tunnels and not the south airlock, though. In the other case, you can close those gates and reclaim the dirt fortress instead.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2016, 05:50:13 pm by Spish »

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #194 on: June 06, 2016, 03:27:33 pm »

He's not that deep. Group 1 is at the dining room between the two forts, right between the two aquifer levels. He might be able to drain the upper aquifer into the lower one and punch into the dirt fort from the bottom but its risky.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 52