Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 52

Author Topic: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)  (Read 132729 times)

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
Re: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)
« Reply #615 on: December 25, 2016, 06:53:01 am »

Caught up on the madness; you guys never fail to impress. What amazes me is I'm still alive; I arrived in turn 3 and became the first or second necromancer and still kicking. Slightly surprised the fort is still standing considered evil biomes got considerably more brutal and Horrorfailed collasped a few times before it got to this point.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #616 on: December 25, 2016, 09:39:43 am »

Well, it is with both legs in grave, what's with the really low citizen count and almost everyone being an undead lich.

However, everyone being necromancers helps with evil biomes.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #617 on: December 28, 2016, 01:47:39 pm »

Christmas stuff over, downloading save now. First post will be in 3 days on the 31st.
« Last Edit: December 28, 2016, 02:20:02 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #618 on: December 31, 2016, 07:02:02 pm »

So I tried to write up some creative in-world setup, but nothing was coming. I'm mostly still trying to figure out where all the different pieces are.

Oh hey, it's a lava-covered ashland! Feels just like my first long-term fortress. Only missing the herd of enraged elephants.

Well, I'll take that as a good sign.

So, not going to get much done. With this many workers, they're probably going to spend all their time walking from place to place. Maybe I can find a good central area and base them all there?
That temple to Deg the Wealthy Price has got to go.

OK, clearly these people need clothes. That's my goal, then - figure out the food and cloth industry for this pile of failure and shenanigans.

Well, and maybe also import some therapists.

Removing the merchant's temple got half of the worshippers to get up and go. Sadly, doing the same thing to the Temple of Amber did not have any effect. I guess I just have to wait until they stop meditating. 

In the meantime, I'm going to locate any industry zones and try to get this place cleaned up a bit.  Is there a specific reason a lot of forbidden items are strewn around? Can I just dump those?
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #619 on: December 31, 2016, 08:42:28 pm »

Is there a specific reason a lot of forbidden items are strewn around? Can I just dump those?

The upper levels (in the dirt) were abandoned because of reasons, hence the items there were also forbidden en masse since before my turn. I did some cleaning up and reclaiming useful items but there is still more to be done obviously. Its safe and secure now, but there are still pockets of undead left walled away from what I remember.

If I remember correctly, there are a whole bunch of forbidden items in our stockpile levels as well. I recommend leaving them all forbidden until you accomplish your immediate goals (yay clothesmaking!) so the few dwarves and necromancers we have don't all get tied up with hauling/ stockpiling/ dumping duties. Perhaps unforbid and dump them in batches at a time.

OK, clearly these people need clothes. That's my goal, then - figure out the food and cloth industry for this pile of failure and shenanigans.

FTFY. Necromancers don't need food or drink, and we have plenty of food and drink to go around at the moment. If you can somehow encourage our necromancers to drink at the tavern so they don't all get bad thoughts and slow down from lack of booze, that will be swell as well. Eh, from my experience, only living dwarves serve booze (as tavernkeepers), so keep that in mind and try to get our population up by accepting petitions for citizenship. I doubt we will get migrants with the death toll here.

ALSO. Beware of husking fog on the surface, though the slime found in the coastal regions is mostly harmless.

Try not to get everyone killed *chuckles* and good luck!

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #620 on: January 01, 2017, 07:22:30 am »

Hm, Ryukan has good fishing skill. Maybe give them a spot  safe from the husking clouds?

Forbidden items...Dunno? I suggest check them for contaminants.

When zuglargun mentions the items being forbidden, the reason for that was due fortress being a swiss cheese.

The FPS is pretty awful for that many dwarves, yeah.

Still, a year is a year. Sanctume got plenty of done with less dwarves.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #621 on: January 01, 2017, 03:52:08 pm »

I have a title. Can I see my kills?

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #622 on: January 01, 2017, 10:31:05 pm »

Hm, Ryukan has good fishing skill. Maybe give them a spot  safe from the husking clouds?

When zuglargun mentions the items being forbidden, the reason for that was due fortress being a swiss cheese.

If memory serves, upper Bloodyhells was abandoned due to beast attack + aquifer leak. I think someone used it as a migrant disposal system at one point but I suspect nothing good is up there.
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #623 on: January 04, 2017, 11:10:39 am »

Short update:

I've found the cloth workshops and gotten clothing up and running. Dumping is proceeding.

However, the dwarves who retreated into prayer after living in this bloody, hellish place have been even more broken by my attempts to get them to eat or drink something.  They're now sobbing in the hallways praying to undecorated walls.

I'm going to experiment a bit and may wind up starting the year over, because having ~6 more dwarves to do things would be a big help.

ETA: Preliminary results look good!  However, we have several dwarves with infections and at least one who can't move, so I probably need to see what dwarven healthcare can do about that and also prep some coffins.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2017, 11:32:42 am by Ghills »
To summarize:

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #624 on: January 05, 2017, 12:59:41 pm »

Have you seen this fort?  That FPS is completely understandable given the fort design, contaminants, and the omnipresent scattered items. It's also the absolute highest the FPS goes - more typically I'm at 10 FPS.

In more funny news, apparently the previous inhabitants liked to randomly strip off all their clothes in public hallways.  I'm finding complete sets of clothes just lying around in the hallways and staircases.  They're not even all contaminated.  What's the reason for the that?  Any one know?

I'd like feedback on whether I should dfhack to clean up some.  Because at this FPS I'm not sure 2 weeks is going to get me through 2 seasons, much less a full year. Also, I'd like to do something a bit more interesting than erratic housekeeping.  Maybe wall off some of the less useful areas - that would make straighten up the fort design and also probably help with the FPS.

ETA: Most dwarves have started replacing worn clothing, and we are making progress on dumping. I'll have pictures up later today or tomorrow. I'm still looking around for good project ideas to embark on though.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 01:48:51 pm by Ghills »
To summarize:

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #625 on: January 05, 2017, 08:57:40 pm »

Reason..I speculate military training/orders with uniform set to replace clothes?

Hm, now that I think about it, dwarves get happy thoughts when putting on nice items - there was a post once about a werebeast keeping happy by putting on amulets. I commonly use inactive = uniformed so that civvies are always ready to fight, but regular streaking could make the immodest dwarves very happy.

The FPS is awful to look at, but remember, at 100 FPS it will take 67,2 minutes a year. At 10 FPS, the fort has to run for 11,2 hours - a lot, but if you're going to spend 21 hours designating stuff, writing and looking around while paused it's more like 50% extra time.

That said, I'm not too opposed to cleaning map - keep the units as-is, though, as being coated head to toe in husking dust is a major bonus to fort's guard dogs.

For project, you could get rid of the ocean, conquer and wall off the caverns (it is a partially evil embark after all, so undeadsplosions can be present), establish a breeding program for population increase through fucking or build a failcannon.

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #626 on: January 05, 2017, 10:29:00 pm »

Honestly, FPS death is why I can't get into playing fortresses for the most part, and it just seems to get worse and worse with newer versions of DF. You can sometimes salvage FPS with DFHack and a lot of luck, but even then it can be borderline unplayable :/

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #627 on: January 06, 2017, 04:27:52 pm »

Reason..I speculate military training/orders with uniform set to replace clothes?

Hm, now that I think about it, dwarves get happy thoughts when putting on nice items - there was a post once about a werebeast keeping happy by putting on amulets. I commonly use inactive = uniformed so that civvies are always ready to fight, but regular streaking could make the immodest dwarves very happy.

The FPS is awful to look at, but remember, at 100 FPS it will take 67,2 minutes a year. At 10 FPS, the fort has to run for 11,2 hours - a lot, but if you're going to spend 21 hours designating stuff, writing and looking around while paused it's more like 50% extra time.

That said, I'm not too opposed to cleaning map - keep the units as-is, though, as being coated head to toe in husking dust is a major bonus to fort's guard dogs.

For project, you could get rid of the ocean, conquer and wall off the caverns (it is a partially evil embark after all, so undeadsplosions can be present), establish a breeding program for population increase through fucking or build a failcannon.

The military orders could explain some of it, but not the large-sized piles of clothes. Unless we got large-sized citizens somehow?  I'm mostly just amused, and it does make dumping easier.

The problem with FPS isn't just running the fort, it's also that I get frustrated, try to let it run for a bit, then forget about it entirely.  It makes the game a lot more irritating to play.

Also, 11 hours is not a lot? 21 hours spent designating and writing? What kind of crazy free time do you have that spending 30 hours gaming is not a big deal?
To summarize:

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #628 on: January 06, 2017, 11:33:31 pm »

We should have some visitors and some petitioning to stay. Pretty important, with the lack of migrants to necromancer underground skyscraper complex.

Agreed on irritation. Even if you do spend most of time paused anyway, the crawl is annoying.

30 hours per 2 weeks is 2,14 hours a day, or something you can just barely sacrifice a single weekend for.
I don't think that's a lot of free time to have - in other words, it's also low-balling it, as I know the overseers who write excellent turns put all their free time into writing it, to the point of sacrificing their other duties at times (and some sacrificing of real life is to be expected with Battlefailed curse).

I'm not quite sure how much time I spent on it, but putting vast majority of my free time into Succession world for my turn at it yielded 172 pages of updates with total of 1039 pictures taken in the 13-25 nov period iirc (granted, multiple takes and not everything about it).

Of course, from a different perspective, 30 hours is enough to, say, watch PMMM five times or read 720 thousand words ~ 7 novels at 400 words/minute - absolutely large things to spend time on - so merely having it available doesn't mean you want to spend it making updates. Compared to other games, DF does take insane amount of time, and the narration of it takes it up to eleven.

(Granted, I've only worked on two successions so far, and the second one had over four times the pace of production as the first, though at cost to quality; I expect skilled overseers can produce more interesting content far quicker than me.)
« Last Edit: January 06, 2017, 11:36:27 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #629 on: January 07, 2017, 03:31:02 am »

30 hours per 2 weeks is 2,14 hours a day, or something you can just barely sacrifice a single weekend for.
I don't think that's a lot of free time to have - in other words, it's also low-balling it, as I know the overseers who write excellent turns put all their free time into writing it, to the point of sacrificing their other duties at times (and some sacrificing of real life is to be expected with Battlefailed curse).

I'm not quite sure how much time I spent on it, but putting vast majority of my free time into Succession world for my turn at it yielded 172 pages of updates with total of 1039 pictures taken in the 13-25 nov period iirc (granted, multiple takes and not everything about it).

Of course, from a different perspective, 30 hours is enough to, say, watch PMMM five times or read 720 thousand words ~ 7 novels at 400 words/minute - absolutely large things to spend time on - so merely having it available doesn't mean you want to spend it making updates. Compared to other games, DF does take insane amount of time, and the narration of it takes it up to eleven.

(Granted, I've only worked on two successions so far, and the second one had over four times the pace of production as the first, though at cost to quality; I expect skilled overseers can produce more interesting content far quicker than me.)

The good thing about dwarf fortress is that its so detailed that if you monitor your turn somewhat regularly (take screenshots regularly, note down key events), there is almost always some insane or mildly interesting dwarf business to write about. Enough to fuel a narrative I would reckon, well, depending on the narrative you are aiming for. My own experience with succession forts invariable comes down to:

1. point out nonsensical stuff previous overseers have made/ done.
2. ridicule/worship it
3. make own ridiculous stuff on top off previous overseers ridiculous stuff
4. ???
5. profit!

Unless you are starting the embark, there is almost invariable something to build the narrative on top off. I highly recommend READING previous turns (or at least perusing) to get a sense of the narrative, and either build on top of it (easier to do) or deviate away from it in another direction (harder to do). As always practice makes perfect, but practice takes time :(

Still, I totally understand the mentality where you sit down to play DF, DF chugs along slowly *choo choo neckbeardss*, and you just lose interest in it because nothing interesting happens and it takes a long ass time for even the season to finish. Its even more pronounced in succession games because you have to figure out and then deal with all the shit that happened before your turn came around. Then you have to figure out what shit you want to do during your turn, then you want to write abou- Its just a shit lot of work. On a 2 week time limit. Once I started working in earnest, I just didn't have the time to pour into DF at all, let alone succession fortresses.

My suggestion Ghills, is to keep it brief. Only chronicle the interesting and NEW things. Or the things that made you go WTF DF? Having a megaproject you want to finish before your turn ends invariably makes writing easier as you can focus on the project. Have you decided on anything yet? If not, here are a few suggestions:

1. Relocate Hospital from dirt levels near the top to the safety of rock and stone down below
2. Expand Tavern, make more rooms for visitors.
3. Speaking of visitors, pit all the captured undead into magma.
4. Flood caverns with magma (not a good idea for FPS)
5. Obsidianize the surface completely.

GLH!F!!
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 [42] 43 44 ... 52