Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 52

Author Topic: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)  (Read 132733 times)

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodyhells - Succession: Battlefailed #5 (42.06)
« Reply #630 on: January 08, 2017, 02:00:37 pm »

OK, clearly these people need clothes. That's my goal, then - figure out the food and cloth industry for this pile of failure and shenanigans.

Well, that was easy.

We should have some visitors and some petitioning to stay. Pretty important, with the lack of migrants to necromancer underground skyscraper complex.

Agreed on irritation. Even if you do spend most of time paused anyway, the crawl is annoying.

30 hours per 2 weeks is 2,14 hours a day, or something you can just barely sacrifice a single weekend for.
I don't think that's a lot of free time to have - in other words, it's also low-balling it, as I know the overseers who write excellent turns put all their free time into writing it, to the point of sacrificing their other duties at times (and some sacrificing of real life is to be expected with Battlefailed curse).

If you don't work full time and/or don't have dependents, that's a lot of time to devote to a hobby but it's certainly doable.  If you do...not so much.

I've been attempting to evaluate the fort security and efficiency. Hours trying to track all these stairways and ramps gives me the confidence to say that I don't know if this Cthulian swiss-cheese hellscape can really be secured.  New modus operandi: I'm going to focus on the areas the dwarves use and branch out from there instead of trying to identify areas of weakness first.

Permanent security upgrades are being made, since lever-pulling appears to be everyone's least favorite task:

Dwarves have begun wandering into the higher levels, presumably to access medical care? Definitely moving the hospital down to the safety of rock.

Also: This lever looks like it should link to the dumping bridge right below it, but is that really true? Am I too trusting of the long-term planning of my fellow players?

Attempts at creating a rutherer husk army seem doomed to failure:

We did get 2 visitors, but they didn't even make it to the gate before, well:

Migrants are not happening at all. I've gotten some socializing to happen. Can necromancers have babies? I don't see anything on the wiki about it.

In an attempt to get through the full year by Weds, I'm going to leave DF running today and set a timer to remind myself to check it.  We might not get a lot interesting done, but at least things will be cleaned up for the next overseer, who hopefully has a faster computer.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 07:11:19 pm by Ghills »
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #631 on: January 08, 2017, 02:35:43 pm »

I have a title. Can I see my kills?

Here you go!

Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

TheFlame52

• Bay Watcher
  • Master of the randomly generated
    • View Profile
« Reply #632 on: January 08, 2017, 03:33:45 pm »

Cool, that's a lot of zombie kills.

I've been attempting to evaluate the fort security and efficiency. Hours trying to track all these stairways and gives me the confidence to say that I don't know if this Cthulian swiss-cheese hellscape can really be secured.
Sigged

Lebo

• Bay Watcher
  • A breakdancing troll.
    • View Profile
« Reply #633 on: January 08, 2017, 06:04:41 pm »

I am 90% sure the lever questioned is one I made for magma dumping.

Turned out though that no one wanted to dump there, instead there was some other magma dump spot. Fuck if I remember where it was though. I might have disabled it due to the easier access one.

Assuming that anyone ever got around to linking it up, of course.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #634 on: January 08, 2017, 07:15:12 pm »

I am 90% sure the lever questioned is one I made for magma dumping.

Turned out though that no one wanted to dump there, instead there was some other magma dump spot. Fuck if I remember where it was though. I might have disabled it due to the easier access one.

Assuming that anyone ever got around to linking it up, of course.

For future reference: Yes, that lever did get hooked up, and it does go to the dumping bridge.  Dwarves will dump there if they're near it but do prefer the other one because it's much closer to the main fort at this point.
To summarize:

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #635 on: January 08, 2017, 09:19:10 pm »

Wonder how many outfit sets that results in?

Hahaha, oh yes. Work AND dependents?

You'd have to be crazy to attempt, so you'll fit right in.

Hours are indeed lost upon just gazing on the maze of twisty passages.

Yay for leverless security upgrades! No matter how well you note things, the take will always be partial.

Other than notes, you can always check what a given building is linked to through dfhacks gui/mechanisms (default keybinding Ctrl-M).

I see the rain has finally stopped.

And in it's place, new life springs forth.

At least something in this place that isn't undead.

Shame about rutherer husk army.

Necromancer army...Is sterile.

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #636 on: January 08, 2017, 10:46:47 pm »

One more update today!

More potential holes in walls filled:

A forgotten beast arrived!

I was worried I would have to doublecheck all the cavern walls, but the locals took exception to the invasion.

Farewell Isa Weri, you squirming, secreting nuthatch. We hardly knew ye.

Spring finally came, and with it the possibility of trade! Well, trade remains merely a possibility. An elven caravan did show up, but:

They didn't even make it 10 steps away from the map edge. I feel pretty bad for the severely traumatized lone survivor.

I did start on a new entrance so we can bypass the previous depots in case anyone manages to clear the surface somehow.

We have a cute little ghost!

I laid her to rest with a slab in the memorial room. 

Last but not least:

Next time on Bloodyhells: Goblins vs Zombies! With a surprise twist:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: January 08, 2017, 10:58:44 pm by Ghills »
To summarize:

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #637 on: January 08, 2017, 10:49:34 pm »

Wonder how many outfit sets that results in?

Hahaha, oh yes. Work AND dependents?

You'd have to be crazy to attempt, so you'll fit right in.

Hours are indeed lost upon just gazing on the maze of twisty passages.

Yay for leverless security upgrades! No matter how well you note things, the take will always be partial.

Other than notes, you can always check what a given building is linked to through dfhacks gui/mechanisms (default keybinding Ctrl-M).

I see the rain has finally stopped.

And in it's place, new life springs forth.

At least something in this place that isn't undead.

Shame about rutherer husk army.

Necromancer army...Is sterile.

Well, darn.

I don't have dependents atm (that was why I put and/or) which is why I actually took my turn, but I have been caretaking in the past and yeah, it really swallows up your time.
To summarize:

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
« Reply #638 on: January 09, 2017, 12:51:38 am »

Yay security! And just in time!

And hm, since the undead aren't patching in...it is at least partially secure?

I bet they're killing the FPS, tho.

I don't know what nuthatch is, but I can't imagine syndromes being effective against those without circulatory system.

Wait, a FB? Not a titan, but a FB? On the surface?

The fortress is more of a swiss cheese than I thought.

...I think there was that poison slug in the Sea of Malodours? Seems familiar, at least.

Ghostly girl of the ring? Well, Sadako getting through walls is not much of a surprise.

Pretty sure that is husking fog.

So much for the siege. Bye-bye, goblins!

NCommander

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Military Master
    • View Profile
    • SoylentNews
« Reply #639 on: January 09, 2017, 06:34:41 pm »

So we're about to have a husked siege on the surface. Recommend we pop the clown car and revitalize the husk vs demon argument, while colonizing hell.
Quote from: TheFlame52
Fucking hell man, you aren't just getting the short end of the stick, you're being beaten with it.
Quote from: NRDL
Is your plan really to flush water into hell, and have the CARP marines fight them without threat of flame or disease?  If so, you are awesome, and one of the greatest DF military visionaries I've seen yet ( not that I've seen that many, or any, for that matter )

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #640 on: January 10, 2017, 01:46:47 pm »

Yay security! And just in time!

And hm, since the undead aren't patching in...it is at least partially secure?

I bet they're killing the FPS, tho.

I don't know what nuthatch is, but I can't imagine syndromes being effective against those without circulatory system.

Wait, a FB? Not a titan, but a FB? On the surface?

The fortress is more of a swiss cheese than I thought.

...I think there was that poison slug in the Sea of Malodours? Seems familiar, at least.

Ghostly girl of the ring? Well, Sadako getting through walls is not much of a surprise.

Pretty sure that is husking fog.

So much for the siege. Bye-bye, goblins!

It was a titan on the surface, my bad.

The nuthatch FB looked like it was heading directly towards the fort? But the monsters in the caverns haven't pathed in.  I suspect the difference is because the nuthatch is a bird and can fly, while the various corpses/monsters/things in the caverns seem to be mostly unflying.  So we're reasonably secure there but definitely keep an eye out for more flying enemies.

FPS continues to be horrible, but I think my attempts to wall places off (reducing pathing) and dump items has helped a tiny bit.  May just be wishful thinking though.

My turn end tomorrows. I'm going to run the fort for as long as I can after work today and tomorrow, and we'll see how far we get. It's only 2 more seasons to go, so I may actually finish this year!  I'll upload by Friday, however far I get.

To summarize:

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #641 on: January 11, 2017, 04:53:59 am »

Next time on Bloodyhells: Goblins Titan vs Zombies!

Fixed that for you :P

I did start on a new entrance so we can bypass the previous depots in case anyone manages to clear the surface somehow.

Yet another path to the surface? Don't we have plenty of those already (though they are floored over now).

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #642 on: January 11, 2017, 11:28:52 am »

FORGET PREVIOUS POSTING, GAME CRASHED AND PROGRESS LOST.  THESE ITEMS STILL APPLY:

Surprise! The fog was not the husking fog!  The siege is now a few terrified goblins huddling on the edge of the map after seeing their fellow attackers choke to death from breathing.

Checking the guestlist to make sure there really are only 2 left, wait what?

We have 2 humans stuck in the fort?

Yup, there's #1.

Rescue operation 1 is a go.

And here's #2. No rescue for you this year, sorry buddy.  A good task for someone else with a full year to play with, maybe?

Oh, and we have querns now.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 11:56:22 am by Ghills »
To summarize:

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #643 on: January 11, 2017, 11:32:59 am »

Yet another path to the surface? Don't we have plenty of those already (though they are floored over now).

Yeah, I know. But the current entrances are such a mess, cleaning them up is probably a longer term project and being able to bypass them is probably good.

We still do need to do something about the surface undwellers before we can get trade and migration, but an accessible entrance is a start. 
To summarize:

Zuglarkun

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:MAKE_MEGA CONSTRUCTION:REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #644 on: January 11, 2017, 12:17:59 pm »

Yeah, I know. But the current entrances are such a mess, cleaning them up is probably a longer term project and being able to bypass them is probably good.

We still do need to do something about the surface undwellers before we can get trade and migration, but an accessible entrance is a start. 

Yeah, I suspected as much. I set my eyes on the mess during my turn and I was like "NOPE, not touching that" :P Much easier to do your own thing than to clean up someone else's mess. Perhaps you can look into retaking the old trade depot if you have time left (I suspect not). Build some cage traps then deconstruct the bridge so that the zombies within can get caged when they wander out. That way most of the inner fort should be free of zombies.

Quite frankly, I admire your good intentions for attempting to free those trapped visitors, but those visitors that were trapped for so long will just attempt to flee the map once they are free, joining the undead mob on the surface. It will not end well unless they have a safe path to escape from.

Also wait what? The goblins choked on the acrid slime? (Or was it something other than the acrid slime and nefarious fog?) I thought that only gave negligible symptoms. I had dwarves necromancers get coated from head to toe in it with nary a scratch. Granted, they had access to a working well to clean themselves with. But still, I thought the south end of the map was relatively non-deadly.

Take this advice, only way to scour the surface of the living dead is magma. You let em linger and its only going to get worse. This is the reason we have a magma pump stack that reaches to the surface. Levers for its operation are near the stack itself, above the magma sea level. Do this asap if you want traders/ visitors to come though i suspect autumn trading is out of the question at this point.

I don't suppose you have a way of trapping/ capturing/ entombing the web titan? Would be useful to weaponize so we can trap stuff. Also can we have screenshots of Tunem Dutorulak Etruemtha the savanna titan before you flood the surface with magma?

One more thing, our human guest Dasmir is a new arrival methinks. If he can get all the way there then there must be some other breach in the west part that we are unaware of from the surface. If not some other route from the main entrance. In any case, I would advise walling up that tunnel after you let him in so you have less to worry about.

Are Andreus and Silverlock still alive? Keep them away from the surface/ danger at all costs. They need to be alive else we will have no one to run the tavern.

Doing a good job there, just a little more Ghills! I eagerly await your next update!
Pages: 1 ... 41 42 [43] 44 45 ... 52