Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Captives as a special race  (Read 703 times)

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
Captives as a special race
« on: June 15, 2016, 05:28:44 pm »

I love Orc mode for the Masterwork, it is really immersive and plays so differently from the dwarves. However, I don't particularly like how captives are abstracted as objects in the game and I have an idea which due to my lack of modding skills I don't know if is possible or not.

What about creating captive races - copies of humans, elves and dwarves, and make them pets? Perhaps then they could serve as a food source for evil civs?

I don't know however - is it possible to make them work like when they are abstracted as an item?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
Re: Captives as a special race
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2016, 11:05:06 pm »

You should be able to release captive "items" as worker "creatures" at the Ghetto Overseer workshop.  This is a new feature so i'd appreciate if people can report that it's working or not (we know it works in some basic testing.)  You should be able to mod it to release cattle-like creatures rather than workers, if you like, just as you say by creating new captive cattle races.  This will be a bit of DFHack modding, not just basic raw-files modding, but by looking at the current implementation you can reverse engineer it without too much trouble.

I don't entirely understand the second part of your question, sorry.  ("is it possible to make them work like when they are abstracted as an item?").  Items and creatures are pretty different, so, probably the answer is no.

p.s.  Glad you enjoy orc mode :)

Ekaton

• Bay Watcher
  • Love the Bomb
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2016, 11:19:46 pm »

I thought that releasing them means that I am letting them go freely. I'll definitely try it when I'll have some time.  :D

I don't know much about animals in the game - I only used them for food, killing vermin and guarding, but if I'll create animal-like dwarf, can I make him work and assign to, let's say, mining?

smakemupagus

• Bay Watcher
  • [CANOPENDOORS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2016, 12:07:31 am »

I don't know much about animals in the game - I only used them for food, killing vermin and guarding, but if I'll create animal-like dwarf, can I make him work and assign to, let's say, mining?

No, I don't think so.