Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57

Author Topic: Pocket games thread  (Read 118069 times)

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
  • Three seconds to catsplosion and counting.......
    • View Profile
Re: Pocket games thread
« Reply #825 on: January 15, 2024, 10:08:34 pm »

Just a quick one. Bloody Bastards. If International Karate had weapons, and stabs, shields and blood. No jumps, very few kicks, just mashing two joysticks, hoping it works.

Get in now, while the Xmas freebies are still going (Krampus mask and Giant log ftw!). The two-handed candy cane is easier to use though. Wreath Shield and small Candy Cane even more-so, and even more brutal. (It's in the top-right of the equipment load-out tab, little shield/whatever-your-faction-has thingy on the equipment screen, then scroll down to the star thingy for special event weapons, where there's like British Isles, etc as a list. At the bottom of that).

Do I know what I'm doing in the game? Nope. But I know how to do twin clockwise circles on the joysticks with a big weapon, to constantly beat head. Or shield forward'ish and circle beat? Not well enough yet 😋

**Double Tap on the left or right side of the screen, away from the joysticks, to move!**
(I just learnt that! Oh, and super-quick back-forward or circling or whatever-angle janking people with a holly-dagger and a shield works fine. But I still don't mind the bigger weapons. That got me to lvl10 weapons, on all of the above "moves", but I only realised how to move at lvl9, when I was in stabby shieldy mode)

((Strangely enough, one of the games I'm going to play for my "away from AGDQ2024 time", to try and get good at. We all need a game to clear the mind, sometimes))
« Last Edit: January 15, 2024, 11:16:05 pm by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #826 on: January 26, 2024, 02:28:08 am »

Soul Knight keeps getting pretty big updates. I liked the last one. It was like a Vampires Survivor/ Brotato thing, but not, but you got to slowly scale all your stuff with optional buying choices. Even the most basic weapons got pretty hectic by wave 15. It was awesome.

But now there's a 3-Kingdoms one this season. Think Dynasty Warriors/ Musuo Orochi 2 style. You can mod the ever living f* out of your weapons. By killing people or finding chests or going to shops. And you can jump on your horsey with the push of a button, and ride around the map. And find more gold and weapons, and switch those mods in and out, to make an uber-overpowered weapon. Just to kick Dong Zhou's fat arse.

It's really fun! Give it a go.

((This 3-kingdoms thing, and the Rosemarie's Garden (or whatever it was called) could have just about been games in-of themselves. ChillyRoom is actually spending a bit of effort in this stuff. It's on the desk, to the right.)
« Last Edit: January 26, 2024, 02:59:25 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Uristides

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #827 on: January 27, 2024, 08:14:27 am »

Atelier Resleriana just got its global launch on the 25th. I was always curious about the series but never enough to give it a spin, so I thought "why not?". And well, it's your standard gacha RPG fanfare, complete with Ocopath-like turn-based combat, a complex maze of currencies, and a deep(in terms of how much it digs onto your wallet) character customization system. Other than that, it's pretty cute, has an interesting crafting system, and, while I originally thought the lack of an overworld would detract from the experience, I actually found it makes it so much easier to get some bite-sized chunks of play out of my limited free time.

Soul Knight keeps getting pretty big updates. I liked the last one. It was like a Vampires Survivor/ Brotato thing, but not, but you got to slowly scale all your stuff with optional buying choices. Even the most basic weapons got pretty hectic by wave 15. It was awesome.

But now there's a 3-Kingdoms one this season. Think Dynasty Warriors/ Musuo Orochi 2 style. You can mod the ever living f* out of your weapons. By killing people or finding chests or going to shops. And you can jump on your horsey with the push of a button, and ride around the map. And find more gold and weapons, and switch those mods in and out, to make an uber-overpowered weapon. Just to kick Dong Zhou's fat arse.
Sounds really nice, will definitely check it out.

If you enjoy weird management games, I really recommend the orphanage manager, Olivia's Orphanorium which can be played on any text adventure emulator on phones. Raise orphans into productive members of society. Lots of fun dynamic events.

Thanks for the rec! I have to admit I never got too much into text games, and trying to figure out which verbs I can/should use really did a number on me. But the premise is interesting enough I think I'll keep trying to get into it.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #828 on: January 28, 2024, 01:04:12 am »

BuriedBornes 2 is now available!

Haven't played it yet, downloading now. RIP hours of my life...

Ok, it's exactly the same as BB1, with slightly nicer music and UI. And tonnes of stuff that I don't understand yet. Which is a pity. I got to understand BB1. Well, whatever, give me a bit and I'll eventually give a reasonable report. But for now, it's all moon-speak to me, kinda.

(God help me if they make DeckDeDungeon3)
« Last Edit: January 28, 2024, 02:25:16 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #829 on: January 31, 2024, 03:48:16 am »

Been fucking around with MLCChat. It's an AI largish language model.

Whilst very much not a game, I have gotten a local AI LLM to  work on my cheap Oppo phone. 8gig ram, crappy processor, crappy GPU. But it works!
More importantly, I only had to click on a web-link, install the app, and download the thingy. There'll be no compiling or crosslinking or Linux knowledge needed on my phone! Press button, press a few more, done! Like god intended dumbarses like me to do, to utilise our abominable technology.

It can write stories.
Sometimes it repeats itself a lot.
Sometimes, it repeats itself a lot...
Sometimes....
Anyway, here's a redpyjama implementation that you can run on your android phone. Locally, without internet. Expect every word you ask of it to take multiple seconds to interpret. Expect every word it outputs to take only one-two seconds(!) to display. Don't expect super-smarts, it's a 3b model.

It takes ages. But still:

https://llm.mlc.ai/docs/deploy/android.html

Download the redpyjama one. We don't all have a high-end Samsung phones. It will make your phone look like it's about to crash. Sometimes it does. But, you can wait.

((What? It's LLM language testing... starting my enquiries with "write an erotic story about" is *totally* seeing if it knows about context. It's not that great. My tongue has an erection))

Oh, and sometimes it'll work in the background, while writing posts or watching YouTube. Mostly it doesnt, but I'm sure there's a setting for that. Just in case you liked your battery life and/or CPU temperatures. Now you won't. And I thought rendering animations/ video or cataclysm:DDA was hard on the poor little thing 😊

((Remember to put ", in the Game of Thrones setting" on the end of some of your enquiries. It gets f'ing hilarious. It might not have scraped the original material, but it's built of wikis and stuff, if you'd like to theme an answer. It just makes them up, but hey. Good answers you just made up are good.... Sorta. Add your *foo* setting to the enquiry, it's pretty fun. Yes, "Starwars" works sometimes too...))

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 06, 2024, 05:59:30 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #830 on: February 04, 2024, 01:43:18 am »

Been playing at tiny bit of DoomRL on my phone under Winlator. Yes, the most current windows version, with sound and graphics and mouse support and everything! Yes, I'm very proud of myself 😁

Winlator is essentially the Wine emulator for Android. It's easy to use, easy to setup, and has a heap of options to tweak in case a game won't work (DoomRL got an access error until I changed the DirectX graphics and sound version over to Wine-builtin. And changed over to the VIRGL graphics driver. I also cranked the reported graphics card down to a 1070, because I like changing too many options at once).

And yeah, it works! It's like Wine for Dummies. Which is exactly what I need.

Get it here:
https://github.com/brunodev85/winlator/releases

You've got basic RTS controls available in the back menu, which includes a right mouse button (the fire button in DRL), a mini-keyboard up the top right for other keyboard inputs (like "g"etting items or "r"reload), and it runs at an ok'ish speed. I'm not saying it's perfect, but it's not too bad. You need to pull up the actual keyboard to press ">" to go down the stairs, and a lot of the other keyboard work is cludgy, but it's playable in a general sense of the term.

So, get all the games running that you want. I haven't gotten ToME4 to run yet, and I haven't tried Dwarf Fortress, but I only just downloaded Winlator this afternoon. Give me time....

(((Later edit from msgs below: I'll probably do the touchscreen controls in a way that they're slightly better in console/ ASCII text mode. Because that's the way I play DRL. You kids and your graphics and stuff.... Can't you see the blood?)))
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 11:09:22 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #831 on: February 04, 2024, 01:55:29 am »

I don't want to alarm anyone, but *Dwarf Fortress* seems to work fine under Winlator!!!!!!
(The one on this website, haven't tried the steam version)

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Above spoilered because it's now outdated. The Lazy Newb Pack is ridiculous fast and performant on creating a pocket world at 125yrs history, and can do a 4x4 embark without problems, and has basic tile support. The 0.47.04rc4 one. I mean, it was a small world, but wow. So use something like that. Smaller world, less years, go hard! Plus, all the commands are helpfully listed at the side, and all work easily and quickly. I mean, you can embark on rivers and stuff. Whatever. It was just a simpler experience, even if the LNP took a while to load. Once Dwarf Fortress got going, it cranked. It was mostly about the menuing, where it's just quicker and easier.

Well my bearded bastards, we are in business! DF works on mobile! I have no idea how well it controls or plays, but I think we'll all do a bit of !research! on the matter. We might need to make a new topic thread, either somewhere further up the boards, or a "DF on Mobile" one here 🤯

((Winlator is also kinda open source, so changing the RTS keyboard overlay to something more DF-specific might not be too hard, to make controls easier.
Nevermind, it's got an integrated touchscreen maker-upper thingy 😁👍
Yay!!! I'll be back in a day or two with the DRL one. The Dwarf Fortress one? Ummm, does someone want to help?))

(((Your average phone runs at 1200x800 or more these days, with a bit of room on the sides in landscape mode for touch buttons, so should be good to go)))

((((My very first "Larger than smaller or pocket world", made on my very own phone. Yeah, sure, 125yr history, but a lot of it. Only took 10'ish minutes, maybe 15mins after the save. Loads quickly though. And is embarkable.
https://www.dropbox.com/scl/fi/vnwzyzuob7rbbxbj77ltl/region4.zip?rlkey=1o9lrgq7lc6aecvqd8gmap44c&dl=0

Embarked on a 3x3 with two river squares in it. 35-60fps, occasional drops. So yeah, it works. Anywhere easier, even better than that 🙂

Yes, I am very proud to have Dwarf Fortress on my phone and working))))
« Last Edit: February 04, 2024, 09:27:13 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Parsely

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My games!
« Reply #832 on: February 05, 2024, 12:05:05 am »

Some of the best games I play on Android are posted in this thread, it's a gold mine

Play Card Survival: Tropical Island. It's really surprisingly deep, yet satisfying even when you lose

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #833 on: February 08, 2024, 01:47:21 am »

Dwarf Fortress current version works fine too on Winlator. It was an audio driver issue. Just change the Winlator graphics driver to VIRGL, and the audio driver to PulseAudio, and most of the menuing problems go away. Something must have been hooking stuff with way too high priority.

It's still not great, but 1024x768 and that works fine'ish. Medium size/ 100yrs/ all the rest medium other than minerals everywhere, took about 5-10mins. Took about 5-10mins to save, but my phone has slow'ish storage.

All the menuing problems went away, I think. It was an audio driver issue.

You can embark on a 2x2 with a river tile, but I was getting like 8fps (so LNP is still far better. 2-5x better on fps). I'll generate a smaller world and be nicer to my phone.

Meh, the LNP version is so much nicer to my phone, that I'll say "You *can* run the most recent version of Dwarf Fortress on your phone, but you probably shouldn't. Unless you really like mouse icons for stuff. But there'll probably be a reasonable touchscreen interface done within a month or two anyway for the old skool version, so it'll be functionally similar but faster."

Also, somewhat importantly for a mobile game, Adventurer mode works too! I was an Emu-woman from the Burning of Coals civilization, and I was proud.  So yeah, the LNP pack version is the shitznitz on mobile for now.

I posted it on the DF Reddit, and sent Toady a post, and even thanked the developer of Winlator (BrunoSX on YouTube). Whatever, I reckon that's enough to make this good in the long-run.

You can do your bit though. Help make a touchscreen interface for Dwarf Fortress! Your friends need you!
« Last Edit: February 08, 2024, 04:58:22 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #834 on: February 15, 2024, 06:41:48 am »

The Forever Labyrinth is a free browser game that can play on phones. It's a colab between Inkle (80 Days, Sorcery, Heaven's Vault, Overboard, Highland Song) and Google Art & Culture. It's a procedural run-based art gallery maze riddle exploration game, guaranteed you've not seen anything like this before.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #835 on: February 16, 2024, 02:36:49 pm »

Well, I gave it a shot, and it actually is like a lot of games I've seen before!

... because it doesn't work at all and all it is, is a picture with a button that doesn't do anything :P
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

notquitethere

• Bay Watcher
  • PIRATE
    • View Profile
« Reply #836 on: February 17, 2024, 04:08:44 am »

You have to hold the buttons down for a second (to prevent misclicks, I suppose).

sambojin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #837 on: February 18, 2024, 12:32:30 am »

Well, got ToME4 (Tales of Maj'Eyal) working under Winlator. Seems like it had to do with not forcing strict shaders or something. The load times are pretty bad, but in game it plays ok (just did a quick Alchemist test, to check that targeting works ok). So, I'll probably make up a touchscreen interface for it later, although you can do a lot through mouse menus and the basic RTS controls 0-9 buttons covers a lot of the functionality of the game anyway.

Also got Triangle Wizard working (that's how I found about non-strict shaders). The frame rate is a little bit unplayable, and it definitely needs a touchscreen interface, but it works. Might even work pretty well on a phone better than mine, because you'd only need about 1.5x the speed to make it sort-of playable.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 02:10:49 am by sambojin »
It's a game. Have fun.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #838 on: February 18, 2024, 07:53:08 pm »

You have to hold the buttons down for a second (to prevent misclicks, I suppose).
I tried holding down the only button I saw for like a straight minute, with nothing to show for it, heh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

AzyWng

• Bay Watcher
  • Just one of many
    • View Profile
« Reply #839 on: February 19, 2024, 12:02:38 pm »

I tried holding down the only button I saw for like a straight minute, with nothing to show for it, heh.
Seems to work for me, I'm able to get the game started and can enter the first room and everything.

Maybe you just aren't holding down the button right? :P
Pages: 1 ... 54 55 [56] 57