Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Randomly generated open-world RPG game?  (Read 12932 times)

Heretyk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Randomly generated open-world RPG game?
« on: August 27, 2016, 04:55:09 pm »

I`m looking for an open-world RPG game that could generate a new world with each game in sort of DF. I`ve been playing Adventure Mode a lot and had a lot of fun with that but I wish to play a regular RPG like Daggerfall in randomly generated worlds. Does a game like that even exist?

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
Re: Randomly generated open-world RPG game?
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2016, 12:13:25 am »

also Unreal World

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 06:13:21 am »

Cataclysm : Dark Days Ahead does that randomly generated open world quite nicely too.

Robsoie

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McAngry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2016, 08:06:17 am »

Rogue Survivor that got a recent revival in development thanks to Zaimoni and to Roguedjack popping up recently and releasing the source code is very good too, though it's not a whole world, but a giant city that is randomly generated there :
http://roguesurvivor.proboards.com/thread/362/rs-revived

It's still in development, but keep an eye on Ultima Ratio Regum, this will be a killer in the randomly generated open world genre :
http://www.ultimaratioregum.co.uk/game/

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2016, 04:52:18 pm »

Malevolence is exactly what you're looking for: http://store.steampowered.com/app/268930/

It's a procedurally generated first person RPG very much in the vein of daggerfall. Graphics are pretty bad, it's a bit clunky, and it was personally way way too dry for me, but it depends how much you enjoy endless dungeon crawling without any story or plot at all. I have a friend who enjoys it a lot because they can just sort of get into a bit of a trance with it and endlessly hack away, level up and get gradually better gear - I personally can't.

There is apparently a big update on the way which should add a lot of extra stuff (a procedural magic system which does sound very interesting!) and so it might become a lot more interesting down the road.
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Heretyk

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2016, 05:54:27 pm »

Malevolence is exactly what you're looking for: http://store.steampowered.com/app/268930/

It's a procedurally generated first person RPG very much in the vein of daggerfall. Graphics are pretty bad, it's a bit clunky, and it was personally way way too dry for me, but it depends how much you enjoy endless dungeon crawling without any story or plot at all. I have a friend who enjoys it a lot because they can just sort of get into a bit of a trance with it and endlessly hack away, level up and get gradually better gear - I personally can't.

There is apparently a big update on the way which should add a lot of extra stuff (a procedural magic system which does sound very interesting!) and so it might become a lot more interesting down the road.

The world in Malevolence is endless but based on the same seed so it`s the same for every player, therefore it`s still not what am I looking for. The game seems interesting tough, so thanks for the suggestion!

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2016, 07:00:41 pm »

I don't think Sunless Sea counts either. It's less procedural open world generation and more randomizing hard-coded map tiles and points of interest at the start of the game.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2016, 07:03:54 pm »

Believe it or not, I'd actually recommend Daggerfall. There's enough world area to basically make choosing a random spot be (to a human player) about the same thing as randomly generate a new world.

Though, tbh, the game's a bit too buggy to be a 100% recommend for this.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2016, 12:07:48 am »

I don't think Sunless Sea counts either. It's less procedural open world generation and more randomizing hard-coded map tiles and points of interest at the start of the game.
I mostly suggested it because it had that procedural random element, and was a game that's a lot more focused on the roleplaying side of RPG.

Paul

• Bay Watcher
  • Polite discourse with a dash of insanity.
    • View Profile
    • Need an affordable website? I can help.
« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2016, 12:25:21 am »

Just tried the demo of Malevolence. It seems to be pretty much what you wanted. If you don't want to repeat the same start area you can teleport to a random place which for all intents and purposes is a new seed unless you happen to spawn at the same place, but from the map I appear to be way way away from the start area.
Do you like Science Fiction? I'm writing the Weaveborn Saga over on Royal Road and my website. Link

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 29, 2016, 04:13:12 am »

The world in Malevolence is endless but based on the same seed so it`s the same for every player, therefore it`s still not what am I looking for. The game seems interesting tough, so thanks for the suggestion!

It's the same seed for every player, but the map is infinite. So for all intents and purposes, it is exactly what you said you're looking for.

As Paul says, you can teleport to a different place and you'll never, ever bump into anything anyone has seen before. All the same seed allows for is for you to share discoveries with others if you want to.

If you want something more like adventure mode in terms of new races/societies and stuff generated each time you play a new game, you'll have to wait till URR is released - however that's likely to not focus on combat and will be very much set in realism (no magic or the like).
With enough work and polish, it could have been a forgettable flash game on Kongregate.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 05:46:55 am »

All games by Soldak are randomly generated open-world RPG games. Basically, you setup some settings (size, difficulty, amount of events etc) and the game generates a world. Once you've completed this world, you get a reward based on the settings you had (more difficult = better loot). The world is quite open though, with diplomacy, world building and some more stuff happening. Drox Operative is their newest game as far as I know and it's pretty fun. http://www.soldak.com/Drox-Operative/Overview.html

Edit: I see that they recently released Zombasite. No idea if it's any good though!
« Last Edit: August 29, 2016, 05:50:40 am by Shadowgandor »

Retropunch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 12:00:09 pm »

All games by Soldak are randomly generated open-world RPG games.

I was never a fan of Soldak games - I bought the Din's Curse which is apparently one of the better ones, and I found it absolutely painful. the engine is very clunky, and the content seemed incredibly bland from the very outset.

Pages: [1] 2