Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14

Author Topic: ☼Meph Tileset☼ V1.4 - 32x full graphic set - WIN/MAC/LINUX - Now with seasons!  (Read 38841 times)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Comes pre-installed with df, dfhack and twbt.
Comes with packed dfhack and twbt.
Comes with packed dfhack and twbt.

Raw files and images only. No DF, no Dfhack, no TWBT, no optional features.

Decorations - 150+

Plants - 100+

Birds - 100% done

Mammals - 50% done

Reptiles/Snakes/etc - 90% done

Insects/Arachnids/etc - 60% done

Demons, FBs, Nightcreatures, Titans - 100% done

The Meph tileset is the first graphical 32x32 tileset for Dwarf Fortress. It was born from my research about tilesets, finding old, abandoned 24x and 32x sprites by Dibujor and Obsidian Soul, both inactive since 2015. I thought that their sprites are too good to waste and started with them as a basis for a new tileset.

This tileset also uses Utkonos 24x creatures sprites for monsters, upscaled and smoothed to 32x, and Dorens 24x machinery tiles. Thank you both! Eventually I want to do my own versions, but with 750 creatures, that will take a while.

The Meph tileset includes:
 - A graphical tileset for 32x32; 24x24 and 16x16.
 - A dedicated font/map tileset with icons for the world map.
 - A dfhack script to change the color palette based on the current season.
 - Over 300 TWBT overrides for unique sprites.
 - Over 100 unique plant sprites.
 - Over 1000 civ-creature sprites for Dwarves, Goblins, Elves, Humans and Kobolds.
 - Over 3500 creature sprites for all animals and monsters. (Thx to the DungeonSet)
 - Over 100 original 32x creature sprites.
 - GifCam, a small tool to capture gifs.
 - Dfhack and Twbt.
 - 3 different shadow files for TWBT.
 - 4 different fonts.
 - 38 different color schemes.

Optional features are:
 - Grass animation: It moves in the wind.
 - Icons for lists: Add melee unit, ranged unit, nobles or hauler to the dwarves nicknames.
 - Modded workshops: Wooden flooring and campfires.

Planned features:
 - Unique corpse sprites for each creature.
 - 32x creatures sprites for each creatures.
 - Uniquef ruit tiles for each tree.
 - A distinct style for each of the three caverns.
 - More modded workshops, like carpets/rugs, flags/banners, sign posts...

Please report any issues you encounter, this is the first test-release. I'm sure there are many somewhat hidden tiles I have missed or can improve on. And if you used this to build something amazing, please share screenshots!

Note that you require a resolution of at least 2560p width to display this correctly. Please see the included readme for further info. You can still play it with lower resolution, but it will be scaled down.

Screenshots - Because graphics are pretty.

Spoiler: Title screen (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: World creation (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Trees/Fog (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Waterfall/Water depth (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Surface Embark (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Caverns (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: =Fortress/Furniture (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rock/Soil (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Magma/MoltenRock (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Shadow types (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: New surface plants (click to show/hide)

Legends - Look up what is what.

Spoiler: Main Tileset Legend (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map Tileset Legend (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Workshop Legend (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Profession Legend (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Color Scheme Legend (click to show/hide)

Special Icons for text - Press "Shift + 2,3,4,5" while naming dwarves.

Tileset - Main files of the set.

Spoiler: Main Tileset (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Map Tileset (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Overrides 1 (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Overrides 2 (click to show/hide)

Creature Sprites - 1000 of them.

Spoiler: Dwarves (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Humans (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Elves (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Goblins (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Kobolds (click to show/hide)

Plant Sprites - 100+ of them.

Patreon

I run a Patreon for my DF projects, mainly the MasterworkDF mod. If you like this set and want to see further development for it, consider supporting it there. I put over 150h of work into this tileset and I hope it shows. :)

Changelog

V1: Release.
V1.1: Vermins, Plants, Transparencies, new TWBT.
V1.2: 115 creature sprites, 16 seasonal color schemes, dfhack script to change seasonal colors.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2016, 05:47:03 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 141 countries visited :::

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Oh, wow. I got the first download.

Meph, are you okay with your Meph Tileset being bundled with Lazy Newb Packs?
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 03:33:34 pm by jecowa »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Not yet. Not because I wouldn't want it on those packs, but because it's not finished. This is a first release to get more play-testers, but I plan to work on it more. I'll probably update it fairly regularly in the near future. But I can let you know once I consider it "finished".
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 141 countries visited :::

Wyrdean

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Looks Great Meph
Going to Download As soon as I get home!
And I'm very surprised that your already almost completely done! :P :)
I knew who I was this morning but I've changed quite a few times since then, I like that.........

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Thank Utkonos for that, he is responsible for throwing 750x5 creatures sprites my way. ;)

gchristopher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, this is definitely worth trying! Thanks for all the work!

jecowa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Not yet. Not because I wouldn't want it on those packs, but because it's not finished. This is a first release to get more play-testers, but I plan to work on it more. I'll probably update it fairly regularly in the near future. But I can let you know once I consider it "finished".

Thank you, that sounds good.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile

PTW - thanks for your work Meph!
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

cludgo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Awesome work Meph! The tileset is supreme.

Downloaded and ran the game and within 2 seconds the screen flashed, the game minimized to the toolbar, and i got an alert that my graphics driver had crashed but recovered. Any thoughts?

Edit: Second run it seems to be holding up ok. Maybe a fluke? Damn the tileset looks nice in the wild.
Edit 2: Ran three adventurers through quickly. Crashed after the third.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2016, 08:47:29 pm by cludgo »

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihˇ, Hrasht.
    • View Profile

PTW - I look forward to including a vanilla version in my pack once it's finished :D
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - 900,000 downloads and counting.  Donations here.

dirkdragonslayer

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Modder, Proficient Failure
    • View Profile

Wow, when did you start working on this, because it is beautiful. I think I found my new texture pack.
"Games come and go, and we all get tired of some games after time, but Dwarf Fortress seems to grab me by the leg every couple months and drags me back with it's bloody, ASCII claw. I think this game has given me Stockholm syndrome, but I love it so, and it's simplistic style yet extremely complex mechanics are like fine art, like a beautifully crafted ☼Cave Spider Silk Sock☼" - Dirk 3/31/2014
TAIL SHOOOOES!

Del1m

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Elf crossbowmen just show up as black/grey squares, can get pretty confusing in a fight.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Elf crossbowmen just show up as black/grey squares, can get pretty confusing in a fight.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Perfect, thank you.

Awesome work Meph! The tileset is supreme.

Downloaded and ran the game and within 2 seconds the screen flashed, the game minimized to the toolbar, and i got an alert that my graphics driver had crashed but recovered. Any thoughts?

Edit: Second run it seems to be holding up ok. Maybe a fluke? Damn the tileset looks nice in the wild.
Edit 2: Ran three adventurers through quickly. Crashed after the third.

TWBT dislikes adventure mode because of something with the travel-map. Mifki has to update a few things. No idea about the first thing.

DanielCoffey

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I see the bundled DF, Tileset and Utilities are for Windows DF. Could you give me some pointers on what I would have to do to use the 32x Tileset in Linux DF please?

I should add I am a new player but I do understand why folks are still using 43.03 rather than 43.05 (64-bit) at the moment.

EDIT : I have stumbled across the reply by jecowa to the same question in the reddit (in your own thread there) so I will give that a go and report back if I have any specific issues. Cheers.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 08:54:10 am by DanielCoffey »
Caselabs S8 : Intel 4770K 4.5GHz 1.275V / 32Gb 1600 / ASUS 780 Ti 3Gb 1274 boost, 7800 mem / Samsung 850 Pro 256Gb, Samsung 840 Pro 256Gb x2, Caviar Green 1Tb / Dell U2713H 27" 2560x1440 / Corsair AX860I / APC SMT1000I / Linux Mint 18 Cinnamon 64-bit
NAS 12Tb unRAID 6.2.1 : Intel i3-4160 3.6GHz / 16Gb 1600 / Gigabyte H97N-wifi / WD Red 6x 3Tb (Parity, 4xdata, cache) / Corsair RM650

Dirst

• Bay Watcher
  • On hiatus
    • View Profile

I should add I am a new player but I do understand why folks are still using 43.03 rather than 43.05 (64-bit) at the moment.
Dwarf Fortress is highly configurable, but there are a suite of memory-hacking tools that white-hat their way into the game engine to allow vastly expanded features.  The Meph Tileset uses one of those tools to assign distinct icons to items that would otherwise look identical in game.  There have been technical issues slowing down the latest update of the memory-hacking tools, and the last version for which everything works is 0.43.03.

There's nothing wrong or especially unstable with DF 0.43.05 itself; the problem is just that tools like DFHack and Dwarf Therapist aren't available for it yet.
On hiatus. Feel free to adopt or update:
(0.42 & 0.43) The Earth Strikes Back! v2.15 - Pay attention...  It's a mine!  It's-a not yours!
(0.42 & 0.43) Appearance Tweaks v1.03 - Tease those hippies about their pointy ears.
(0.42 & 0.43) Accessibility Utility v1.04 - Console tools to navigate the map
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14