Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Crash on startup  (Read 2650 times)

bzro

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Crash on startup
« on: December 25, 2016, 12:01:17 am »

So, I just got back into DF after a few month break, and decided to check out the newest version of Masterwork. However, I've been unable to get past the worldgen, and it's starting to get pretty annoying. I mean, my laptop is a potato, but it's never had an issue with Dwarf Fortress before.

The actual world creation goes fine, but I usually only get to year 200, if that, before the entire thing locks up and shuts itself down. Is there any way explanation for this? Do i just need to lower the number of Civs?

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Crash on startup
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2016, 10:48:32 am »

I don't know... I generally run world gen just fine to 1000 years with even the largest tileset. 

The primary question is: are you on a laptop or desktop that doesn't have a separate graphics card (is your GPU directly on the board, using the system memory)?

if yes, then you are probably trying to world gen with tileset set to Meph - 32 x 32; TWBT font set to Meph; and Print Mode set to Text-will-be-text.  Which means your using a lot of memory for graphics, which if you don't have a GPU, its all being used from the standard memory allotted to the program. 

Option 1:  Either reduce the load by choosing smaller tileset and TWBT font; or

Option 2:  Utilize LAA utility (Large Address Access) to increase the size of memory access to the Dwarf Fortress program.

Even if you answered no to the first question try those 2 options first, they might still help.
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

levonhard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2016, 06:50:49 am »

Well, i set my df.exe to open with the gpu, used LAA on it, used Ironhand tp, and it worked. Then i tried again using Meph's tp, and it worked. Thanks for the suggestions. I had no idea that graphics card mattered so much, was using integrated up until now. Thank you once again and a happy new year!

Amostubal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2016, 11:28:15 am »

yep... I run on laptops, because I travel around a lot.  Generally I just pick up the best one I can find a pawn shop for 200 when one goes out... I'm cheap.  this error has been coming up since the new tileset is so big, primarily on integrated GPUs, people who aren't running separate video cards, especially laptops, primarily windows systems.  so yeah I had pretty good idea of what you was probably running when you mentioned the errors.

Happy New Years!
Legendary Dwarf Fortress
Legendary Discord Group
"...peering into the darkness behind the curtains, evokes visions of pixies being chased by dragons while eating cupcakes made of coral iced with liquid fire while their hearts burn out with unknown plant substances..." - a quote from the diaries of Amostubal

Benjamin the Rogue

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 02:08:29 am »

I have a GTX 1080 and an Intel 6850K, and I'm still getting the exact same problem. I've already utilized the LAA in the Masterwork folder and I still get crashes at world gen, or when I run it through Lazy Newb Pack whenever I try to launch a from a save file, or make a new world. It seems to work just fine when I play it vanilla, however.

I don't know if this will help, but this is what I saw:

unhandled win32 exception occured in Dwarf Fortress.exe [13424]

Unhandled exception at 0x009E3D90 in Dwarf Fortress.exe: 0xC0000005: Access violation reading location 0x000013CC.
0x009E3D90: mov edx,dword ptr [eax+4]

EAX Value: 000013C8
EDX Value: 00000000

Callstack
Spoiler (click to show/hide)