Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 57

Author Topic: Fallacy's BYOR 2: Game over! Post-game write up up.  (Read 91618 times)

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
  • 4mask always angle, do figure his!
    • View Profile
Re: Fallacy's BYOR 2(9/9): Day 1: The beginning: voting weirdness.
« Reply #240 on: March 06, 2017, 03:03:17 pm »

TBF: I asked you a question.

webadict: So it's Smstr w/ Love all over again, eh?
...while I am familiar with Smstr w/ Love, can you refresh me on that? :v
I think I won there. But I'm forgetful and/or can't find it given our local search engine.
Here's the link to the game.

Can we expect any reads from you, or are you just gonna ask for other's reads without giving any of your own?

flame99: The reason webadict is suspicious of you and I'd be suspicious of you if you were a veteran player is the way you made that statement: it was wishy-washy.  In mafia, everything you say is information that can be used later on to clear or damn you in the eyes of others, and scum can be found out by their posts as much as by power roles.  If you take a stance on something, there's always a chance you'll be called to task for it later.  Thus, one strategy for scum is to limit the number of things they take a stand on, to give themselves outs when they do, so it's harder to call them out on things later.  Thus, it's generally seen as scummy to waffle on issues rather than taking a firm stance, since it's one way to give yourself an out later if called to task.

Cinder: Who is scum, why are they scum, and why aren't you voting them?

Deus Asmoth: You alive there?  Kinda disappeared again.

blackheartkabal: When you return, what are your reads so far?

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: March 06, 2017, 04:22:00 pm »

And, I'll go one step further. This is a limited selection of items I have:
A [REDACTED].
A geology textbook.
A pair of binoculars.
A [REDACTED].
A sturdy pickaxe.
A basket of herbs.
A [CANADIAN REDACTED, EH].
A megaphone.
A set of [REDACTED] with [REDACTED] on them.
A [REDACTED].
A charm bracelet.
A pair of purple boots.

Is one of the redacted items a sword? If so, that would seem to go with my role/flavortext.
Nope, none of my items are swords.

Hm...

Does the word "LITERALLY" mean anything to you?

I'm fairly certain that none of the nonredacted items apply to me and I don't think the Canadian one applies either.

Thanks for the votecount FoU.

Everyone: You have 2-3 hours until I pick a lynch candidate.

Some brief reads (I'll write something more substantial up when I have time):

webadict: town/third party due to role and scumhunting.
flame: null/inexperienced. Others see him as scummy, but I'm withholding judgement until I have a chance to read through his posts.
Cinder:
4mask: kinda town-leaning because he's scumhunting.
Tiruin: slightly scum-leaning because she's scumhunting less than usual, but she's really hard to read.
TBF: Slight scum lean, but not as much as everyone else thinks. He might seem annoying but annoying != scum. I'll read through his posts to get a better idea on his alignment, though.
DA: Absent, so null read.
BHK: Also absent (at least on the last few pages that I've skimmed) so null read.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #242 on: March 06, 2017, 04:27:25 pm »

flame: null/inexperienced. Others see him as scummy, but I'm withholding judgement until I have a chance to read through his posts.
Cinder:
Tiruin: slightly scum-leaning because she's scumhunting less than usual, but she's really hard to read.
TBF: Slight scum lean, but not as much as everyone else thinks. He might seem annoying but annoying != scum. I'll read through his posts to get a better idea on his alignment, though.
BHK: Also absent (at least on the last few pages that I've skimmed) so null read.
Erm...

What happened to your Cinder read?

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
  • You are doomed, doomed, I tell you!
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: March 06, 2017, 06:02:01 pm »

Flame99/BlackheartKabal/Cinder: How do you feel about today? What are your gists on other players?
blackheartkabal: When you return, what are your reads so far?
Was a bit busy.

-TheDarkStar - Town/TP. He's making an effort. Can't say much more, so that's good.
-TheBiggerFish - TP/Town - Annoying =/= Scum? Since when? I want to keep him alive and just hope he gets vigged/nightkilled later on just in case we have a jester.
-Tiruin - Null/Town. A bit preocciupied being our unofficial IC, but manages to write novels despite her stupidly limited timeframe.
-webadict- Scum/TP. I've read through his games, and I know he isn't stupid enough to legitimately tunnel this hard on someone without experience seeking a lynch, but scum has no problem killing a random townie who hasn't conformed to things yet. It's a stretch, but a reasonable one. 10/10 would vig imo.
-Deus Asmoth - Dead. Please vig or replace if he doesn't resurface from the mariana trench, either is fine with me.
-Cinder - Null tell. Has neither said nor done nothing in particular.
-flame99(?) Null/TP. Not experienced enough to make a tell on.
-4maskwolf(?) Null. Something about him is off. I don't want to say he's scum, I want to say he's genuinely town from his discussions, but there's a gut feeling.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: March 06, 2017, 06:39:15 pm »

Updated reads:

Cinder: Moderately town leaning, although I'd like to see more from him.
BHK: His latest post was interesting. He assumes there's a vigkill, but apparently he's used to Town of Salem so that's understandable (and in a game like this, I wouldn't be especially surprised to see a vigilante). His webadict vote-suggestion is supported by some reasoning (even if I highly disagree with it), which is I guess slightly town-leaning. BHK just needs to post a bit more in general for me to get a good feel of what he thinks.

Also, I'm unsuggestionvoting

On that note, this is the votecount:

TheDarkStar(0): []
TheBiggerFish(3): [Tiruin, 4maskwolf, webadict]
Tiruin(1): [TheBiggerFish]
webadict(1): [flame99, BlackHeartKabal]
Deus Asmoth(0): []
Cinder(0): []
BlackHeartKabal(0): []
flame99(0): []
4maskwolf(0): []

We've reached the deadline I set and I really want to get this day going, so I'll vote for TheBiggerFish. I don't have an especially strong read on him, but lots of people have interacted with him (and are voting for him). In addition, by voting right now I'm establishing that my deadlines are fairly rigid which should keep pressure on people over the next few days.

(In the future, I'll aim for 48-hour choice periods, although I may extend that under extenuating circumstances).

Please say Yes or No for a TBF lynch (or at least use the colors, you can use different words that convey the same meaning like "lynch" or "don't lynch"). There is a deadline to this that I don't control, and I believe that means that Shortens and Extends are usable in this phase. I also suspect that a majority choice will decide the vote, but again, FoU will need to confirm that.

Note: FoU may enforce other rules for determining if TBF is lynched, rendering the above Null and Void.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: March 06, 2017, 07:00:33 pm »

Sorry, I've been reading Smstr W/ Love for the past hour or so. God, that game was good, and I got to be a mega troll, plus there were so many hidden things that I remember... Now I have to do a sequel... Trmstr [Of] Hate or something. There was a huge amount of lore and Nerjin was an amazing author, but real life got me good...

Now onto related matters.

No. I want to see what happens when I do this.

-webadict- Scum/TP. I've read through his games, and I know he isn't stupid enough to legitimately tunnel this hard on someone without experience seeking a lynch, but scum has no problem killing a random townie who hasn't conformed to things yet. It's a stretch, but a reasonable one. 10/10 would vig imo.
Uh... what? I'm not even voting for flame, and apparently, this is me tunneling? Why are you chainsawing this hard for her? You're both acting like super scum, but at least you're being straightforward about it, unlike flame. Gotta respect that.

Please, feel free to back up your claim with more evidence. Because, I'm gonna be honest, you won't find anything. You'd have to tunnel me harder than your false attacks, so I feel pretty terrible if you're actually Town, since you would be tying up a good portion of the Town's assets.

But if I wanted to lynch your friend for being scummy, it would be easy. Your attacks would be doing the opposite for her, since you look like overreacting scum. She has been super passive, and for being relatively new, she knew the number of scum players there would be, she overreacted to being called scummy, and OMGUSed immediately afterward.

Pro-tip: you actually want to protect a partner, you're doing it the wrong way. It would be better to lead the accuser to a different target entirely first, and then go after them the next Day, even if for petty revenge.

@TDS: Are you the Wordsmith, then?

Deus Asmoth

• Bay Watcher
  • Bland, but sensible.
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: March 06, 2017, 07:01:47 pm »

I wasn't aware that not posting for less than a day qualified for face-on-a-milk-carton treatment.

4mask:
Deus Asmoth: You didn't actually give a read on Tiruin: is there a particular reason for that?
Well the reason is that I suck at proof reading and saw her name at the top of the reads list while scanning over the post, but forgot that it was only there because I was replying to her.

I'm actually more inclined that usual to think that Tiruin is town based off today, but that probably means she's actually planning to kill us all.

Tiruin:
Tiruin:
Deus Asmoth: Can I ask a read list from you thus far given possible passive observation from you? Do you think there's
I think there might be something missing here. As regards reads, I was kind of hoping to get the secrets of the universe from webadict, but since that hasn't happened yet I'll have to muddle through.[...
I'm a squeaky boot x.x
It was to be 'Do you think there's [it was to be reworded on inquiring your impressions given people's claims and how to work with a Kingmaker-variant]'
Well, I'm not really sure how to answer that without more specifics. I will say that I'm not really a fan of Kingmaker scenarios since unless the kingmaker has some way of benefiting from it, it just comes down to who they want to win from a meta standpoint.

BHK
-TheBiggerFish - TP/Town - Annoying =/= Scum? Since when? I want to keep him alive and just hope he gets vigged/nightkilled later on just in case we have a jester.
This read is curious to me. Why do you want to keep TBF alive, despite phrasing indicating that you want him dead at a later stage? What specifically gives someone a third party lean in your book?
Look elsewhere, reader. There is nothing for you here.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: March 06, 2017, 07:14:27 pm »

Uh... what? I'm not even voting for flame, and apparently, this is me tunneling? Why are you chainsawing this hard for her? You're both acting like super scum, but at least you're being straightforward about it, unlike flame. Gotta respect that.

Please, feel free to back up your claim with more evidence. Because, I'm gonna be honest, you won't find anything. You'd have to tunnel me harder than your false attacks, so I feel pretty terrible if you're actually Town, since you would be tying up a good portion of the Town's assets.

But if I wanted to lynch your friend for being scummy, it would be easy. Your attacks would be doing the opposite for her, since you look like overreacting scum. She has been super passive, and for being relatively new, she knew the number of scum players there would be, she overreacted to being called scummy, and OMGUSed immediately afterward.
Something tells you you aren't garnering many guilty votes on the stand, but that's assuredly circumventable in quite a few ways. You probably aren't stupid enough to not realize that them being new isn't some unorthodox tactic or something, so that makes you scum at best, and a liability that I want in the grave so you can't throw the game at worst.

Congrats. You're smart enough to realize that such a brazen vote would probably get you shitlisted by the rest of the town. Except if you were just pressuring them, but that's an unreasonable assumption.

Implying the only thing I, or anyone else in a BYOR has, is false attacks.

If I'm the only one who actually sees how cheap of a shot webadict has been trying to make, then I have low expectations. Scum flip or not, I'd still call for a policy lynch after.

bonus -
I'm gonna be honest
so fahny joak

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: March 06, 2017, 07:16:33 pm »

PPE -
BHK
This read is curious to me. Why do you want to keep TBF alive, despite phrasing indicating that you want him dead at a later stage? What specifically gives someone a third party lean in your book?
Because maybe it may be paranoia of the damn role in general, but I assume "deliberately annoying" to mean "I'm a jester who wants to be hung badly!!!!". Another reason being that if he isn't scum, he likely isn't immediately dangerous, but if he isn't town, he's still gotta go. He doesn't ping particularly town or scum, but he's said too much to be a null tell.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: March 06, 2017, 07:22:08 pm »

"Let's get this on the road, then!"

TheBiggerFish is hoisted on a pillar.

"Well? Do you want Mr. Fish lynched? Yes or no!

Votecount:

Lynch TheBiggerFish(0): []
Don't Lynch TheBiggerFish(1): [webadict]

Day Ends: 72 hours from now. 7:20 P.M. Central/Forum time, I believe. Or upon hammer, which may not actually spell the end of the day if Don't Lynch is chosen.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fallacy's BYOR 2(9/9): Day 1: And now a lynch candidate is chosen!
« Reply #250 on: March 06, 2017, 07:28:27 pm »

No Lynch. See above.

4maskwolf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 06, 2017, 07:41:42 pm »

FallacyOfUrist: Are we allowed to change our lynch/don't lynch vote after we've made an initial decision?

Deus Asmoth:
4mask:
I'm actually more inclined that usual to think that Tiruin is town based off today, but that probably means she's actually planning to kill us all.
Why not both?  She was town and tried to kill everyone in the seven SK game.

Jokes aside, I'd like you to explain this.  If you read Tiruin as town, then why are you caviating that with "probably means she's actually planning to kill us all"?

TBF: Do you know why you're on the block?  Who do you think should be on the block instead of you?

BlackHeartKabal: Wouldn't it be better for the scum to try and push a lynch on an active townie, since lurky players make it easier for scum to go undetected?  If so, why would Scum!webadict go for the low-hanging fruit in that fashion.  Also, advice regarding your reads: if something's bothering you, and you don't know what it is, figure it out.  Because whatever that thing is may be important and may be the piece of evidence you need to find scum, or, conversely, what you find may put your mind at ease.  I'd like to see a more concrete read on me later today or tomorrow, assuming we're both still alive then, because right now it looks like you're trying to give yourself an out from your read.

Also, there's one more thing I'd like to ask about:
These two reads seem rather incongruous.  If you have no idea what flame is, why would tunneling on him automatically make webadict scum?  And furthermore, webadict isn't a fan of bussing, so if you're so sure webadict is scum then wouldn't that make flame more likely town/TP by association?  Your reads here don't really line up that well with each other, it seems like you're making things up as you go.

tl;dr: I'd vote you if we were still in that phase, but we're not right now.

webadict: You pushed pretty hard against flame but didn't actually vote them: why?

Spoiler: snarky joke time (click to show/hide)

BlackHeartKabal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 06, 2017, 07:47:22 pm »

These two reads seem rather incongruous.  If you have no idea what flame is, why would tunneling on him automatically make webadict scum?  And furthermore, webadict isn't a fan of bussing, so if you're so sure webadict is scum then wouldn't that make flame more likely town/TP by association?  Your reads here don't really line up that well with each other, it seems like you're making things up as you go.

tl;dr: I'd vote you if we were still in that phase, but we're not right now.
My reads aren't webadicts reads and I don't know what flame is. I'm having trouble finding a reason for webadict to seriously focus on a lynch on them in a way that makes webadict credibly town without anything else affecting them both. I understand I'm working without solid evidence here but I simply see it as webadict seeing a cheap opportunity to lessen the town's numbers advantage/kill a third party/bus. If he has the integrity as a player to never bus in any mafia game ever, then discard my theory and wire me his steam profile so I can send him 5 dollars for such dedication.

webadict

• Bay Watcher
  • Former King of the Mafia
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 06, 2017, 07:54:37 pm »

Lol, BHK is kinda funny. You can send that $5 to charity because I don't need it.

I have a job to do. You get nothing from me. If anyone else wants an item, better list what you want before Night falls.

FallacyofUrist

• Bay Watcher
  • Blatant furry. Also a hypnotist.
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 06, 2017, 08:14:33 pm »

FallacyOfUrist: Are we allowed to change our lynch/don't lynch vote after we've made an initial decision?
Go right ahead.
Generic Arms Race.

Would you like to play a game of Mafia? The subforum is always open to new players.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 57