Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 111

Author Topic: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 230604 times)

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Mong Kima - The Nation of Pearls
« Reply #60 on: May 26, 2017, 04:23:32 pm »

What to do with Stran and Valken ? Both of them are locked up and present no danger, but isolation is taking a toll on their sanity. Besides we cannot use any of them as it stands.
Note that I am completely new to both DF and the forums, and I've never seen a nightcreature myself so this is pure speculation.
  • The primary interesting power of werecreatures is the insta-healing. You might be able to use Valken as a squad of one, letting her battle right before a full moon in order to function as a meatshield, then heal all her wounds on transformation. From her history, I hear she's handy with an axe. Having her in a squad will also make it easier to order her back into the Box once the moon rolls around - though you'll have to remember to do this every time you let her out. Once your outpost becomes big enough to attract the attention of elves or goblins, you might want to let her rampage through them in beast form, although this is waaaaay riskier.
  • Vampires are mainly used for their long life, lack of material needs, and potential skills. Find some craft Stran is good at, build a workshop in the Jail, and have her work at it day and night. Find some way to bring materials in and out of containment - I think statues are passable to minecarts but not to creatures? Also, when she gets thirsty, easy prisoner/undesirable disposal!
  • Problems with them going insane inside the jail? Build a deluxe jail. Mist generators, statues, precious materials in walls, whatever. Furniture is going to be hard for Valken as weres are building destroyers, but vampires don't get any building-destroying powers I think. You might also put them in the same jail. Do night creatures get along with each other? Valken killed her kid in beast form, so they might not. If they do, an obvious solution to loneliness is to collect a few more nightcreatures and build them their own fortress within a fortress.
Night creatures are cursed with both great powers and dreadful weaknesses, but they are still people (mostly). If there is any way to let them live happy, productive lives while keeping the rest of the outpost safe, it should be done.
If not, there's always magma.
At least we killed the boy and hurt an old man.
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #61 on: May 26, 2017, 04:44:44 pm »

Hum...That seems a good idea but it'll take some work. So a satellite village outside the town? I can do that. I still have stone to make mechanisms to activate a bridge remotely should the need arise... Maybe I can even do a sas system to be extra sure. As werebeast destroy buildings, Im not sure he can carry on his craft as a woodcrafter, which is a shame because he was legendary.
But surely he can become a soldier.

Oh, by the way - Valken is a man. It's maybe not very apparent because he was very feminine before his curse. But now he's an old, very old bearded man.

Stran can be easily contained, as vampires cannot bypass locked doors. But the difference between them is ; Valken was our friend since the beggining and we're very attached to him. Stran however is responsible for a lot of untimely deaths, including important people of the kingdom. Tho I'm not against letting her live, we have no emotional attachement to her.

Also, no magma for us unfortunately... We're stuck aboveground by a massive aquifer. Which explains why metal and stone are insanely precious and everything we do is made out of glass, wood and scales. But it's alright, we're humans, our place is above ground
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 04:48:03 pm by Cathar »

Imic

• Bay Watcher
  • Still sad
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 26, 2017, 04:51:22 pm »

Ah, yes, the ancient, closely guarded secret of the Humans: trade.
Imic's no longer allowed to vote.
Quote from: smyttysmyth
Well aren't you cheery
Quote cabinet
Regrets every choice he made and makes, including writing this here.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2017, 04:55:30 pm »

Disposing of Stran? Cave-in maybe?

I heard some people use captured vampires as bookkeepers.

Creatures of the night versus... bureaucracy. Who will win?
SPAMOVERLORD - play as the Empire and break ALL the cliches! | Doomhollow - A reasonably sane succession fort! | Give a Damn!

Megaman_zx

• Bay Watcher
  • or megadorf.....megaelf?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2017, 04:56:38 pm »

Yeahhh!!! We have a hospital!!!

Not much to work with for the hand surgery, but I'll try to come up with something over the weekend, or early next week.
Tales of the Third Age, 34.11 rp stories from Genesis Reborn

“Name none of the fallen, for they stood in our place. And stand there still in each moment of our lives. Let my death hold no glory, and let me die forgotten and unknown. Let it not be said that I was one among the dead to accuse the living.”

-Deadhouse Gates (Book 2 in the Malazan Book of the Fallen) by Steven Erikson

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2017, 04:58:46 pm »

Back in Brokenbronze, we executed another vampire by dismembering him in a room made of a spear trap linked to a lever. It took time and was messy as all hells but now, we know this is a sure way to dispose of vampires.

Id make her a bookkeeper but I'm not sure Asin would feel really great losing his nobility status to a convicted criminal.

Also of course, trade we do a lot. That's how we do arm our militia after all. We'll need more weapons.

Rethi-Eli

• Bay Watcher
  • I came for the LNP, I stayed for the RTDs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 26, 2017, 05:00:50 pm »

Honestly, that was a fine door.
In the end, the winner is the one with the most snake venom.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #67 on: May 26, 2017, 05:03:05 pm »

I know right ? Most of the carpentry has been made by Valken. Masterwork, pretty much all of it. His curse not only forced us to emprison him, but also deprived us of a very very very talented carpenter...

Oh, while I'm at it, Imic, you acquired the title of swordmaster lately

Glass

• Bay Watcher
  • Also known as the Chroniqler
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2017, 05:03:26 pm »

Stran: vampire, murderer, scholar and bureaucrat.  :P
Quote from: FallacyOfUrist (on Discord, 11/15/21)
Glass is, as usual, correct.
Yep, as ever, I bestow upon Glass the expected +1
I'm gonna say we go with whatever Glass's idea is.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2017, 05:11:35 pm »

I know right ? Most of the carpentry has been made by Valken. Masterwork, pretty much all of it. His curse not only forced us to emprison him, but also deprived us of a very very very talented carpenter...

Oh, while I'm at it, Imic, you acquired the title of swordmaster lately
Alright, so the way we are going to keep him carpenting?
Just reconstruct the workshop every month.
Really.
And send the wares out through a statue and minecart.

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #70 on: May 26, 2017, 05:14:57 pm »

I can do that, safe for the statue method, as werebeast topple statues. I have another method however. We'll have to wait until summer so we can trade in more metal and stone, but I can make it work, that's for sure.

blueturtle1134

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 26, 2017, 05:18:30 pm »

I can do that, safe for the statue method, as werebeast topple statues. I have another method however. We'll have to wait until summer so we can trade in more metal and stone, but I can make it work, that's for sure.
Artifact statue?

Cathar

• Bay Watcher
  • Competent Engraver
    • View Profile
    • My shit
« Reply #72 on: May 26, 2017, 05:21:03 pm »

Oh silly you, humans don't make artefacts. Masterwork is as high as we can get. We also don't have moods or martial trances.

But I have a solution with two bridges linked to a lever. This will be crafty as all hells.

Alright... So we have a plan for action for the year 133. Additions and course correction will always be possible. In the meantime, great news. I finally understood what was going wrong with my art ; so expect an increase in art quality in next update !
« Last Edit: May 26, 2017, 06:41:11 pm by Cathar »

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2017, 08:51:00 am »

This is 106% quality stuff.

PTW!
SigFlags!
Fire Emblem on Forums: 8! + 6re!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

mate888

• Bay Watcher
  • [CRAZED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2017, 09:28:16 pm »

Damn, I look fabulous.
Have you ever read Doomforests?
If not, there was a massive werebeast infestation in a nearby human town, so bad that all human caravans generally tore themselves apart before they left.
They, of course, had to deal with a lot of the, getting infected.
One, however, survived a battle in the dining room between all of the werebeasts.
Ast.
Ast, from then on, was locked away underground once a month, and even formed her own v sattelite village called Astville, which was happier than the actual fort.
What they did was they tracked the days pf the months, and locked her away whenever there was a full moon.
For roleplaying reasons, I don't think we can simply leave them to die, since this town is a very tight knigh community, so you could try the Doomforest approach?
I'm sorry I blabbered, I do that a lot
Ah, old Doomforests. I loved that place, even when it became an esoteric clusterfuck of warring cults and overseers sabotaging eachother.
Especially then, actually.
My second turn's unnoficial goal was to turn everyone into vampires, and it backfired so bad, I ended up making the fort a more efficient, safer and friendlier place.
Apparently they evolved a taste for everything I love and care about
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 111