Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Mechanical Solstice Chronicle of 1x1 on crossroads  (Read 16347 times)

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
  • Spooky cart at distance
    • View Profile
Re: Mechanical Solstice Chronicle of 1x1 on crossroads
« Reply #30 on: January 11, 2020, 11:14:31 pm »

Decided to kick of another round. Along the way, I had noticed that there's bug with keeping claims on forbidden military equips, and made a script to fix it. The results are...substantial.

- - - - - - - - -

Here are the enemies at the start of summer.

⁎drawbridge accident⁎

...Here are the enemies at the start of summer! Again!

||

Split somehow.

||

Uh-oh.

The goblin swordsman stabs the macedwarf in the right foot with his ({steel short sword}) and the severed part sails of in an arc!
"I need more. It's frustrating." - Aban Riderdiamond, Macedwarf

No, no, you go back under hatch to hospital...he's not listening.

||
A lovely shot of milcom Fikod - and that I need to refix bolts.

-/-/-

||

Well, that was pretty harmless, only lost a leg.

Medical treatment proceeds smoothly, only interrupted by "Store Owned Item"

||

...Wait, what?

||

From distant memory, I recall: interrupted eating counts the eaten item as owned by the dwarf. Well, now I have (inconvenient) proof.

Also have proof that is not the lowest priority job, as storing gets interrupted by that.

- - - - - - - - -

||

About time! Not sure what weapons I'll attach to it yet tbh, but it'll sure come in handy.

Glistenobeyed the Noiseless Rack shall be a key piece in doing safe, compact and quick necrobaconry, though they really ought to have swapped names with Noblehand, being that that was an actual ...armor stand. Hm.

||

Hm, didn't know that could be depicted on an artifact - in any case, incredibly appropriate for something meant to slay undead.

- - - - - - - - -

||

A Guild Representive? Nice, but then...   I guess I have one from different civ?

No Papyrus seeds though - expected but unfortunate - but do have some muck root and rat weed seeds.

Also, I don't understand my leader sometimes:

||

"Conduct Meeting" - while running away from the Representive? It's a dead end now, though, as they caught up.

As for trade, I query up a gold kán & white opal decorated furniture. That should be multiple times more than needed to buy the caravan....In fact, the  caravan is kind of cheap, on account of all the rocks - I need more wagons!

Rocks...wood...desired foods and gems....It's been a while since I bought out an entire caravan, but I think I'll take all but the bin giant wolf leather came in. And give something extra on top. The gems alone will let me almost finish the magmagenerator encasing!

||

Thankfully, the ordering of hundredish things for next year can be done in seconds - not only do I have a macro from last year, I also have a new script for ordering preferred foods - surely wouldn't have ordered Chopped Giant Cockatiel Liver without it.

Though I skip purple amaranths and muck root seeds this time, and add loincloths and skirts.

The human willingness to pay 60% on top for tools is nice, might sell them minecarts next year.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2020, 11:21:15 pm by Fleeting Frames »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2020, 12:38:28 am »

The gems are in windows, but this might be more difficult than expected:

||

The animation was misplaced:

||

I had to deconstruct, then reconstruct some floors, and cut a new gem.

- - - - - - -

||

I love the way sphalerite tracks look in this set, but that's....

Not vomit but fallen bayberries. Hm. Still something to remove with gathering, I guess.

On a side note, I accelerated that constructions because birds running around cause dwarves to get stuck on top of pillars. Case in point:

||

How did that fire clay get stuck there, with no way up or down? Birb done it

- - - - - - -

I finally get to spreading out enemy corpses. This may take a while to arrange:

||

- - - - - - -

:) New people arrive!

:( All non-historical, sadly!

:) Kivish Stabmansion likes morningstars!

:( they also like silver!

:) They're unfettered!

:? After fighting and helping somebody - and sure enough, I have a red-and-cyan bloody fight against trolls down below. But they're nowhere near it, so that's interesting knowledge.

:v They're not interested in knowledge

:) but are Talented Cook and Proficient Strand Extractor

:1 which prods me to dig some more adamantine and use PatrikLundell's booze_cooker.lua¹ to queue up some more.

(The rest of the wave is mostly suited to go to military or mining, however.)

...Well I said all non-historical, but this is not quite true.

The Harvestes of Sheltering, a mostly-goblin performance troupe, also wished to stay.

However, their ages are all over the place; they don't provide a pair, and their skills aren't particularly notable outside of three great teachers....So I deny them.

||

It's not like they'd enjoy these bedrooms, anyway.

||

...Nah, I kid, they get microcline, not adamantine housing. Mostly.

- - - - - - -

Another troll wanders in, I send in some people with training weapons and then belatedly send them non-training support:

||

Some injuries on both sides, but it'll heal. As Asodide - the human father and spearman mercenary - can deal the finishing blow.

||
Well, not as planned

It might raise the question whether it was right move - death was certainly possible, and they'd train up nonetheless. From the point of fortress dwarves, this was bad.

However, Armok demands blood and sacrifice - a glorious death in battle would be a way to go.

||

||

||

A bit to the east, I decide to rework gremlin capture system:

||

The hatch was too attractive to trolls, and this reduces the number of cages and mechanisms needed.

- - - - - - -

Uh, wow. I didn't realize this was an option:

||

And what a story it is!

Whether 1396 years or infinite time ago, the dwarves know everything.

Devils and demons....I should get some.

||
Also visible: Finished hand-filling the magma carts with generated magma

For this job, I'll need prompt response, so some digs for overseer-controlled lever is prudent:

||

With this, and some bait, I'll capture any demon that fli-what?

Code: [Select]
:lua for j, creature in pairs(df.global.world.raws.creatures.all) do for i, v in pairs (creature.raws) do if v.value == "[WEBIMMUNE]" then print(creature.creature_id, j) break end end end
Tells me, combined with region-pops, that none of the webber Underworld residents appear at my embark?

Why even bother :sssssss

- - - - - - -

I notice I am out of quartzite. Can dig more, but...

||

I've discovered an exploit:

||

A wall can be deconstructed and carved into a fortification. If these steps are done in that order, then the base floor is carved into a fortification.

||

Once the fortifications are carved, they can be dug out for more stone. This means you can get unlimited flux on embarks with at least small bit of it - though ability to not reveal the underground is more useful for me, here.

- - - - - - -

With all the talks of aquifers lately, I decide to do a more central aquifer pierce:

||

All things in central area will turn to dust eventually, but till then I'll be willing to sacrifice some permanent potential for short-term gains.

||

This sort of action can't use diagonal chickenrun. Fortunately, I have a great miner here, so it won't be necessary.

||

I decide to construct walls with dog soap. The red stuff? Well it haunts me .... with dog blood.

- - - - - - -

Whoops, look at that time go!

||

Better move like the carts, smash zombies like the carts.

||

But that's another time, same place.

¹ booze_cooker.lua
« Last Edit: March 10, 2020, 04:24:48 am by Fleeting Frames »

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 06, 2020, 11:17:33 pm »

Mere week since last time, I do another round.

First, there's the matter of zombies:

||

There's total of 48 invaders (38 offmap).

They're facing down two dwarves.

I feel sorry for the zombies - those two are my military commander and multi-legendary picklord; having first and second most kills in fort. And today, they'll reap most kills again.

Contrariwise, it's Ener's best chance to kill them, but I don't think it'll come to pass.

||
||

Coming up in the rear are also archers, and....

||
Huh, so this can happen.

Also manifesting here is also selectSquads utility¹ script for picking the  dwarves with metal weapons, since my dwarves have somewhat disparate equips.

²

May tweak it further, but the important events are more visible now.

As battle proceeds, I find a flaw:

||

All my good soldiers are on other side. I send them to fight, but they're not gonna interrupt a good fight in front of them for that....And while I do have some expendables, but they don't have metal gear, and are thus

||

...harmless?

||

Oh dear. And I was hoping I could defeat a siege with no blows being landed onto my side at all.

||

Well this sucks but a crutch will help them -

||

- was that the remaining good hand?

...I may actually lose them. And the father of Geshud, my first human baby, and husband to socialite Atal, is important indeed.

Lost in rage, retreat? Dodge? Those are not words they can understand. The defence of Desert-City of glades is paramount, but in the shadows of mountains dwarves lie.

And, oh....

||

:(

But they're not the only one in danger:

||

And why only shield? Reading the logs, they didn't lose the mace in combat, and had it on at start, but....

||

Ah. I see.

I unforbade the previous battle items at start so that I might haul it to eventual destination easier.
But some of the dwarves claimed them.
The leader of Asmel's squad claimed steel mace in their sleep
- and therefore, Asmel claimed leader's previous mace. And so...

||

When they came, I added them to the strongest pair - they were supposed to go nova. And they are - were second best shield user in fortress.

Yet in the half a year they spent here, they only made connection with Mason ònul - what will they feel when carving the slab?

||

Despite valor, nobody in their squad even knows they exist - not even the captain who doomed them. But all shall rest in a casket someday....So any last words?

||

o7

. . .

In the end, another undead siege was repelled. And while a rising star died before their prime, As Asodide lives. Maimed, down a hand and leg, but alive.

||

Is this retirement? Will this be the last battle I order them into?

No!

The siege was purely mundane
And now there's romance, danger, thrill!
A casket of remembrance for fallen to thrall
Fear and resignation of a dame

Dodge with your life on the line, As Leafplots!
(please don't die)
In the excitement granted by this risk of losing
(someone important)
- I cannot stop

The heart stutters, and begins to dance

Ω▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒Ω

Finishing up the magmagenerator, I find an odd issue: Can't get ye door.

||

What gives? Can build next to...Being linked to mechanisms and being closed gives, that's what.

To fix, I have to deconstruct and reconstruct things.
The de-reconstruction is the order of day, as apparently pinfire opals...are purple ||

But at last, the gem window animation is complete:

||

2z above that, I realize an issue:

||

I changed the fill channel to use bumping, because otherwise the cart might have trouble escaping when the channel is constantly being pumped into.

And bumping a sitting cart is proven approach.

However, there is small wrinkle: Iron on filled iron has 314/1313 speed multiplier. 7/7 magma + track turn is 4010 speed cost per tick. This means the bumper cart would need to hit the submerged tile-edge cart with 16773 speed - attainable, when accelerating from the center of tile.

However, the iron cart is in the middle of tile. Additionally, there's the possibility of filling up carts, which would require reacceleration.

The first is fixable by wall-ramming. The second would need a QSP to deal with. A double-layered hatch fall hole would work, though would induce additional risk.

For now, I'll see if it works -

||

- as soon as I replace raised bridge with a wall for aesthetics.

I discover my DT child-excluding filter isn't excluding a child. How come?

And how come their body size is under negative nine thousand?!

That can't be right....

||

||

||

Welp. And the mother already got pregnant with their...older sister this month?

There's being early birth, and there's migranting to fort before your conception.

More traders arrive - as can be expected - and also gives me the choice of barony.

, but that still leaves four to consider - The expedition leader Kol Zuglarbal, the Swordsdwarf Urvad Zokunrith, the Mason ònul ûthirmosus, and the hunter Moldath Gatizadil.

I want to separate the mayor and baron here, so Kol is out.

Urvad is asexual and has no heirs, but they're my choice of bearer for steel longsword. Were they not constantly training....

Moldath is pretty good with expensive likes, though suited for military role.

ònul ûthirmosus is the mother of the child above,
noncombatant,
last who knew fallen Asmel,
with older daughter,
and another on the way,
and unlike Moldath doesn't mind troll corpses.

The choice is clear.

Trade itself echoes same tones as human trade did, but the gems aren't as useful here, being that I'm no longer building gem window animations. Requests are similar, 'cept I'm aiming for more cloth for planepacked tricks.

||
Mebzuth went from 0 to Competent Appraisal in one trade.

I lock people in room for dumping.

||

However....

||

I left them to share a room with hamster.

||

And a happy thought too! What joy. Where would I find any hake for them to eat, anyway?

With drain below, second aquifer breach is done:

||

This was much easier than earlier attempst to retrive alabaster.
The drain isn't perfect, tho:

||

That's going to be a source of cave moss, later.

..oops, one wall happened to be adamantine.

||

And I think I like it? Maybe I'll do more admirable replacements later.

...On additional thought, I'll add a cleansing trench:

||

This...Is harder to link up than expected. Maybe next time!

¹ Script link: selectSquads.lua
² Relevant configs: Fleeting_Frames#Announcement_Window

Fleeting Frames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2020, 11:15:40 am »

A mildly timing trickery shows me: You can retry what the caravan wants from you next year by repeated retry of it. I don't need it, though it's amusing to see them pay highly for meals or instruments.

Before restarting, I wanted to get ConstructMultiz to at least respect designations. It is done¹

||

¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤♧¤

Have had microcline walls not fit for a while. Figured it out - they're mineral, not stone walls.

||
Much better

Similarly, it showed me that Atal wishes to join - but not always at same time/date. I welcome her to fortress proper, and give some of those new clothes able to fit both dwarf and human.

Speaking of wishing to join, a migrant wave joined - and for once, the dwarf who likes two-handed swords is a military peasant. Convenient, but not spectacular.    

At similar date The worshipful Gravel also wishes to join. Two of their number included dwarves, two were married goblins - It's somewhat marginal, but snagged them anyway for yet another dwarf who likes two-handed swords - that makes 3 of those, now. If I could use guildhalls, I'd make them weaponsmith right away; as it is I have to wait.

Originally from enemy civ, they're quite the odd bunch - lacking the need to craft object, practice skill, and even taking it easy, making merry or seeing friends & family - they all however have need  to wander. And can be warriors, in two years.

With population comes elections.

||

Just as planned; expedition leader to mayor with no item prefs. I'd replace them in their CMD position, but I have nobody else with novice diagnostican yet; the exp is kind of spread out.

In celebration of their election, I opt to brew as much of their favourite beer as I can right now. Unfortunately, I don't really have materials for their preferences.

||

Similarly, late autumn brings me change to nobility.

Gneiss...Bismuth...Blue Diamond, sheep wool. Turkeys and fisher berry wine. Entirely managable. I already have fisher berry wine roast, but I ought to put a plot for it.

There is just the matter of placement of rooms. Given my plans, temporary setup is necessary, but....

Hm I guess if I place them on the lower level, there's plenty of time for reassignment, and they get an adamantine wall to admire.

In fact, they'll be placed right above magma sea, as befits baron and mason both.

...Oh, and both nobles like gneiss. That's pretty nice thing to aim for, I guess?

I caught some fire imps underground with unrevealed magma sea downstairs traps:

||

They needed some bait, so I stationed a ranged dwarf to poke them (too hot to approach in melee):

||

They got by fire and caught on fire. I immediatelly told them to go into water, but suddenly!

||

After this, they were no longer flashing red and yellow, though their XhoodX was still at 222°C.

Did the boiling alcohol explosion save them by reducing their heat below ignite point?

If so, another argument for glass vials/aluminum flasks/fire imp leather waterskins. Conveniently, last is available.

On a related note....

||

I added a second cage trap. On same tile, somehow.

||
I figured it out:CMZ lets one change build location when scrolling through the expanded choice list for build item.

Even if theres escapees, more cages is wisdom: Fourth fire imp escapes and attacks Atal and Geshud, human mother and baby:

||

They escape mostly unscatched. Fire imps are gentle creatures who wont burn babies to ashes. Atal has mixed feelings about it:

||

While I send military to help, a random miner present is quicker to hit the fire imp in the head. Maybe taking civilians lightly wasn't wise after all, imp?

I send a dwarf to kill fire imp in cage, expecting them to slay them when they escape...but it seems after the cage is moved away from magma sea, the temperature drops only to 62⁰C; below heatdam point.

||

Whoops.

Everyone coming with novice swimmer is great here!

But I forgot about 1 tile coming unsupported when Iq<pr removed ash floors...

||

And baby and dog are in danger!

||

Lokum Niralcog likes humans for their stature, so they'd make an ideal playmate for the first human born in fort.

However, they also like brimstone, and maybe that's what they'll get.

...Or wait, I do have river drainage! Time to turn it on!

||

A miner also gets slammed, goes under bridge, and starts drowning.

Fortunately, four points of drainage is enough to turn this situation around.

Unfortunately, it means I have to let Tobul, Whiplover, leave from dumping corpses. Fortunately, they've been diagnosing As Asodide long enough to rise to novice diagnostican, and thus are eligible for CMD.

Seems I deconstructed my tanner somewhen for some reason, probably for moving. So...

||

On the other hand, realized it soon enough to cheer for a second piece:

||

Woot! Fire-safe scrolls, for once!

Finally, glorious magma, how I love thee! The magmagenerator is online!

||

I also have too many stops, I lose track of them. So:

||

New script for zooming to stop/cart².

At the end of autumn, cherry leaves fall.

||

Beauty is ephermal.
Zombies are forever.
It's time again?
Ω

¹ https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Fleeting_Frames/constructmultiz
² https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/User:Fleeting_Frames/zoomToStop
« Last Edit: March 30, 2020, 07:40:38 am by Fleeting Frames »
Pages: 1 2 [3]