No
- 0 (0%)
noooo?
- 5 (38.5%)
YES!!!
- 8 (61.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 39

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 28 - [Finished]  (Read 48197 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 28 - In Progress
« Reply #180 on: October 02, 2017, 04:50:23 am »

As the owner of one of the ostensible doomstacks (which frankly looked far less scary to me than TC's doomstack), TC's position seemed pretty far from hopeless. FWIW. Ofc, I was looking at them as the weightiest part of a three-nation pile-on, so my vantage point would lend itself towards pessimism...

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: October 02, 2017, 06:16:41 am »

Not a good sport, AlStar.

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: October 02, 2017, 07:52:56 am »

Not a good sport, AlStar.
Fine, fine. But seriously - I put up a decent front, but I maintain that I was in an unwinnable position - potentially unviable as little as a single turn after I decided to go AI.

Due to Ermor landing a surprise attack on my castle province (the turn it was scheduled to finish), as well as burning down both the temple and the lab that was there, I was the better part of a full year behind getting my second castle up... and then Marignon burned down my next castle expansion... because hell with the one guy trying to fight off the nation with massive popkill, right?

Anyway, as a result, my research/number of mages is way, way, way, below where it should be (I literally just got my second lab back up and running again the turn I went AI.) I've got a decent-sized army, but Marignon's fire-crossbows could probably kill it with no losses, honestly.

The decision to go AI might have been due to me burning out, but it's my honest opinion that whoever took over from me wouldn't have had more than a couple of turns of play.

Prove me wrong, AI - but I don't think it'll happen.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 07:57:31 am by AlStar »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 28 - Unplanned AI
« Reply #183 on: October 02, 2017, 09:14:52 am »

Anyway, as a result, my research/number of mages is way, way, way, below where it should be (I literally just got my second lab back up and running again the turn I went AI.) I've got a decent-sized army, but Marignon's fire-crossbows could probably kill it with no losses, honestly.
Um...you had W9 calvary, you could have put your red guard in two seperate groups 6 tiles behind and flanking on each side from center then have them target archers. If you had set a group of 20 foot soldiers in line formation near the front, the entire crossbow line would have shot at that. Then the calvary would have two full turns to cross the distance and start hitting the crossbowmen. If the arrow catchers survived, the crossbowmen would have shot a second time. It definitely would have been a bloody battle and would have left you vulnerable to ermor.

I do understand the frustration that you had fought so long against ermor and probably would not receive any reward for it. I also understand the frustration that comes with assuming that other people knows what your thinking. There is only 2 nations that can actually play while being above diplomacy, MA Ermor and LA Ragha. There is the possibility of EA Agartha on this map but I'm not sure.
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: October 02, 2017, 10:41:46 am »

Wouldn't he just set his archers to target cavalry?

This isn't fighting against an indy province with everything set on "fire closest" here - arrow catchers don't really apply.

Edit: Don't know if you realize the magnitude of Marignon's firing line here - we're talking about over a hundred crossbowmen with fire arrows cast on them. They shredded 30 PD + two merc companies (the guards for my new castle construction) without even flinching.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 10:45:56 am by AlStar »

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: October 02, 2017, 11:44:57 am »

Yes, I can't imagine the crossbows not being set to fire cav. Although you have some very cheap cav available to decoy that as well.

I have to say it's odd to hear continued complaints about TC's lonely crusade when I'm at war with three of the six (!!!) nations my fairly-small territory borders (although one of those three keeps trying to tell me they've only taken my provinces against their will and for my own good, and that I should let them take more).

Also, I'm not sure what kind of a surprise attack is proceeded by a private warning that's followed through with when diplomatic silence is the response (as well as continuing to encircle me, transgress the borders that had previously been discussed without objection (rather than "with positive consent" because it's hard to squeeze diplomacy from stone), and while publicly calling for a crusade against me). Also, again, I burnt down no labs; if they weren't there when you (quickly) retook your land it's because you didn't get them built before it fell.

Seriously, building a fort on a border province while publicly rallying a crusade against the nation it neighbors is as high-risk as it is potentially advantageous, and not even saying "nice doggy" while you chuck rocks at them only makes it worse. Had your gamble paid off you'd've been in a nice position to wage war on me (with a closer fort to project supplies into the wastelands), but the downside of that was that it was a gamble; you could have built a fort on a non-border province (like, I dunno, the northern caves which offer easy access to your heartland w/o encroaching on your capital circle like the throne you also declined to fortify) and not risked having it overrun... but you went for the gamble, and like all gambles, there was a risk involved.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 11:50:14 am by E. Albright »

AlStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: October 02, 2017, 12:05:39 pm »

Everyone else was rallying a crusade against you - I didn't join in till after you burned my province.  :P
Seriously though - it was my fault, because I had assumed that since you were complaining about my expansion in the north... that you'd kick me out of the north, not attack the heart of my territory. Whoops.

Obviously you'd know the woes of your country better than I would - but all I ever heard was excuses from my so-called allied crusaders.

Edit: For what it's worth, that castle actually wasn't set up to be a forward base against you - I had that spot planned before I even met your first scouts. Due to the fact that 75+% of my expansion was underwater, I really didn't have a lot of places to actually build a castle without massively impacting the resources coming into my capital.

I probably should've just sucked it up and built one anyway - Like you said, maybe to the north... although its connections are pretty shit.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 12:09:20 pm by AlStar »

Marmaduke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: October 02, 2017, 01:21:05 pm »

Lots of blame-throwing around and that's the usual currency in diplomacy of course, but I must admit I was/am late to the crusade. Now, at the very time I am starting to get something done, TC getting AI changes the landscape. I was envisioning TC as a powerful long-term partner. Now I am left with poop-throwing monkeys and sausage-loving pikeneers and underwater Disney furries to deal with the most deadly threat the world has ever known (since last time an MA game with Ermor was played, that is). I did try privately to enlist Ermor in the crusade, but they saw through my poor attempt at befuddling. Now you are all going to eat TC!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: October 02, 2017, 02:23:32 pm »

Hey... I see myself more as fishy-scaly-uggos then furrys.

Emror is scary, but AI doesn't make you feel a bad for hitting it. It's weird.

Eitherway, I can't recuit priests without massive gold and time efforts, so any effort I make would be limited.

___

I think T'chi might have been one of the the top 3 nations in size/troops when it went AI, but as I sated before, my intel services are bad atm...
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 02:34:52 pm by ThtblovesDF »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: October 02, 2017, 04:18:25 pm »

Ermor has the largest army, last count it was 800+, but it is mostly undead chaff and counting the actual troops is tough. Arco and Agartha as far as I'm aware take up the 2nd and 3rd spots for army. The rest is so close I cant truly count.

I see no way I could be more diplomatic about this but I guess I should mention that I'm going to be attacking ermor. None of my armies are on the border right now but at least to respect oceania's request for more then a turn warning when breaking peace, I'll announce it now. Ermor's bless is D4 B9, that is somewhat scary for my low MR troops, but that is going to change. The critical research I need to effectively fight ermor will complete very shortly.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2017, 05:12:50 pm by etgfrog »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: October 03, 2017, 03:41:52 am »

So in the Arena fight, a Giant Scorpion hit a ulm knight.

Scorpions only have one attack, with 5 damage, no str added.

How did it do 15 damage in one hit to the knight? It had a damage value of like 27?
Escalating dice? Edit: Guess it got really lucky:  5+6+6+6+4

___

Soft reminder to build forts on your thrones (those lucky ones that have one), it makes a big difference in the late game.

« Last Edit: October 03, 2017, 07:44:10 am by ThtblovesDF »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: October 03, 2017, 04:50:04 am »

Yes, dominions has an open ended dice rolls.

Spoiler: from the manual (click to show/hide)

The knight was dead the instant swarm was cast, many of the bugs has poison or armor negating attacks.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: October 03, 2017, 12:45:54 pm »

Thbt, rewatch the fight and press 3 at the start. It'll show detailed combat numbers.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: October 03, 2017, 04:08:45 pm »

Will buy or rent a water booster. Good prices offered. Contact 1-666-BANDAR.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: October 04, 2017, 09:06:13 am »

Oh, I forgot about the N9 part of ermor's bless. I was mainly worried about the blood vengence killing my troops.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14 15 ... 39