No
- 0 (0%)
noooo?
- 5 (38.5%)
YES!!!
- 8 (61.5%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 39

Author Topic: Dominions 4 Round 28 - [Finished]  (Read 48205 times)

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dominions 4 Round 28 - Black Magic and Rollbacks, is there a differences?
« Reply #345 on: November 10, 2017, 02:48:47 pm »

"On their flank" - right, because Marignon's front line is totally not the 500-strong Flaming-Arrows-xbow-and-pretty-much-nothing-else horde laying siege to TC. Oh, wait, you can't see that because someone actually took some of your normally-so-impregnable-you-don't-bother-properly-defending-it territory in what's sure to be a short-lived raid since you've already recalled some of your expeditionary force from Bandar Log to crush it.

Ermor has 10 knights and 31 lictors left after the battle.

...in that province. You of all nations are well-situated to know I have more in my eastern bolthole than just what I committed to that battle, though I suppose getting others to rush in and do the grim work of killing them so you can scoop up essentially-free spoils has been more-or-less your MO this whole game. Although who knows, maybe you buy your propaganda and are going to invade a month ahead of schedule, before your Golem arrives to lead the charge. Or did you think I'd miss something that big lumbering through your sprawling western holdings towards me?

Incidentally, it seems like our MP neophyte in Ulm finally figured out that Dom4 is about mage blobs and not SCs or sacreds. As a public service, I killed off a pretty big one, but they'll be able to completely replace it in 5-6 turns. If you were hoping to avoid getting hit with the joy we all know and loathe from that quarter (e.g., 675 iron darts per turn like I had the pleasure of weathering for the first 3 turns of that battle before it subsided to a more modest 600 through the end of scripting), this might be your best chance any time soon to stab Ulm in the heavily-plated and only-increasingly-well-protected back. Let's not forget who here is the aggressive neighbor trying to play up how weak they are while trying to march in and cap a minimum of 15d/turn so they can set up the Tartarian factory they're so obsessed with. Not the the Terror From the Deep is going to let anyone else get the Gift of Health that actually requires, ofc.

Anyway, here's the numbers etgfrog apparently didn't want non-direct spectators to see. All those listed are dead, as they were apparently so confident of victory that they didn't bother to secure an avenue of retreat despite how helpful one was the last time they tried to take High Peaks. Additionally, 320 gems (by normal nation measures, not Ulmish "I have ubiquitous hammers and forge bonuses" manufacturing rates) died with them. Well, obviously some of that was captured (70, in the interest of slightly-fuller disclosure), but since the majority of their commanders died off-screen after retreating, most of them are properly dead.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 03:07:54 pm by E. Albright »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #346 on: November 10, 2017, 03:07:19 pm »

"On their flank" - right, because Marignon's front line is totally not the 500-strong Flaming-Arrows-xbow-and-pretty-much-nothing-else horde laying siege to TC. Oh, wait, you can't see that because someone actually took some of your normally-so-impregnable-you-don't-bother-properly-defending-it territory in what's sure to be a short-lived raid since you've already recalled some of your expeditionary force from Bandar Log to crush it.

Incidentally, it seems like our MP neophyte in Ulm finally figured out that Dom4 is about mage blobs and not SCs or sacreds. As a public service, I killed off a pretty big one, but they'll be able to completely replace it in 5-6 turns. If you were hoping to avoid getting hit with the joy we all know and loathe from that quarter (e.g., 675 iron darts per turn like I had the pleasure of weathering for the first 3 turns of that battle before it subsided to a more modest 600 through the end of scripting), this might be your best chance any time soon to stab Ulm in the heavily-plated and only-increasingly-well-protected back. Let's not forget who here is the aggressive neighbor trying to play up how weak they are while trying to march in and cap a minimum of 15d/turn so they can set up the Tartarian factory they're so obsessed with. Not the the Terror From the Deep is going to let anyone else get the Gift of Health that actually requires, ofc.

Anyway, here's the numbers etgfrog apparently didn't want non-direct spectators to see. All those listed are dead, as they were apparently so confident of victory that they didn't bother to secure an avenue of retreat despite how helpful one was the last time they tried to take High Peaks. Additionally, 320 gems (by normal nation measures, not Ulmish "I have ubiquitous hammers and forge bonuses" manufacturing rates) died with them. Well, obviously some of that was captured (70, in the interest of slightly-fuller disclosure), but since the majority of their commanders died off-screen after retreating, most of them are properly dead.

Why would I want to retreat when my entire army was diseased? I mean, sure I could have used those priest smiths for 3 or 4 turns hitting random territories, but I wanted the highest chances of winning that battle, which meant having all the troops I could without starving. Oh, and priest smiths are cap only, so that is 20 turns to rebuild a force like that. The only expensive things to me that got lost was the helm of heroes, which I believe you had the chance of capturing 2 of them. Any just man crossbow is effectively useless to you, but the few longbows of accuracy could pose some problems in the future, I might need a group of 5-10 shield black plates to catch the fire rear commanders.

As for the capital, I already explained to others what I was planning to do with it, if I was to take it and it actually involves making even more items.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 03:12:38 pm by etgfrog »
"How dare you get angry after being scammed."

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #347 on: November 10, 2017, 03:14:04 pm »

Right, you'll be replacing them with Black Priests instead of Priest Smiths. The horror. 25 IBs per turn for 3 turns per priest instead of 30 per turn for 5 turns per smith. With a blob the size you can field, that's a difference without distinction, as the frontloaded damage makes the significantly-tapered-off backend not all that meaningful given how large an army it takes to survive that - and if they're not a mindless horde like mine, those shredded blockers will be routing.

Right, cap-only priest-mages are the only thing keeping Ulm in check, I'd forgotten. Well, then, potential victims of Ulm, now TRULY is your best chance to not get your face shredded.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2017, 03:23:06 pm by E. Albright »

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #348 on: November 10, 2017, 03:16:54 pm »

Right, you'll be replacing them with Black Priests instead of Priest Smiths. The horror. 25 IBs per turn for 3 turns per priest instead of 30 per turn for 5 turns per smith. With a blob the size you can field, that's a difference without distinction, as the frontloaded damage makes the significantly-tapered-off backend not all that meaningful given how large an army it takes to survive that - and if they're not a mindless horde like mine, those shredded blockers will be routing.
Black priests are also cap only, I was low on gold during the last winter, so I made those, also because inquisitor to remove some of your dominion while sieging the fort. Fatigue is an issue, iron blizzard is 50 fatigue, so having earth 3 is a huge boon on the longevity of the fight, if you noticed after turn 10 my priest smiths started using iron darts or banish instead to not collapse.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #349 on: November 10, 2017, 03:21:09 pm »

That's not why they did that. They did it because combat casting AI is fickle. At that point in the battle, any cast is going to push you back over 100, so it's a question of how long you collapse, not if you collapse.

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #350 on: November 10, 2017, 03:31:58 pm »

That's not why they did that. They did it because combat casting AI is fickle. At that point in the battle, any cast is going to push you back over 100, so it's a question of how long you collapse, not if you collapse.
Not from that battle, the priest smiths were almost entirely casting iron blizzard when they could once off scripting because it was confident that iron blizzard would do the most hp damage out of the entire spell list. Targeting was also really good in my opinion, granted they did ignore the high threat, low hp targets like the unholy knights, main reason so many got killed was because of the grotesque being an evocation magnet. But yes, 700 armor piercing, magic damage projectiles each turn is terrifying, but its limited to range 25, if that is any comfort.

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #351 on: November 10, 2017, 03:40:59 pm »

Yep, my mistake for assuming you'd not learned from the first campaign, and thus positioning everyone forward for a strong beta strike.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #352 on: November 11, 2017, 04:34:47 am »

Loving the banter, wish we had as many turns, too.

Marmaduke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #353 on: November 12, 2017, 09:52:53 am »

Beautiful triple bane venom bait by Ermor, who had what I assumed was a Dusk Elder in the lot... Got 7 mages feebleminded. The possibility that it was a trick crossed my mind, but the healing power of the priestesses comforted me. It was a mistake, I lost 14 gems and plenty of mage turns. Now spending all my gems recasting Stellar Focus (I thought only death canceled globals, not feeblemindedness).

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #354 on: November 12, 2017, 02:03:17 pm »

Nope, losing your brain kills anything tethered it, which makes it riskier to do things besides holing up for anchors. To my knowledge that's the only other thing on the caster end of thing that kills globals. I'm pretty sure even going for impromptu extraplanar vacations doesn't do it, but giving just your noggin time off most certainly does.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 02:07:07 pm by E. Albright »

Jilladilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Most Sleep Deprived
    • View Profile
« Reply #355 on: November 14, 2017, 12:42:14 am »

Yeah... This was my bad, sorry about that delay, the new turn will be coming shortly, and I'll get to immediate work on the next.

Glory to United Forenia!

If you see a 'Nemonole' on the internet elsewhere, it's probably me

E. Albright

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

etgfrog

• Bay Watcher
  • delete & NULL;
    • View Profile
« Reply #357 on: November 14, 2017, 05:22:18 am »

no fire brand?

Marmaduke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #358 on: November 14, 2017, 05:44:46 am »

*** DRUMS ***

(pregnant-with-unbidden-power silence)

Hi folks! It's me, Hero Joe! Are you all sitting? What you will witness is mind-blowing!

(mind-blowing silence)
(polite gasp in the audience)

I, PEACENIK, IS PROCLAIMING THE IMMINENCE OF MY UNIVERSAL DOMINION. TONIGHT, I UNLEASH UPON THE WORLD THE MOST POWERFUL (STATEMENT NOT CONTRACTUAL) CREATURE ONTO WHICH THE WORLD HAS EVER BEEN UNLEASHED.

I AM TALKING ABOUT THE GOLEM STANDING BESIDE ME. THE GOLEM IS NAMED SLOKAD. APPLAUD, FUTURE UNDERLINGS!

(the golem, Hero Joe and a bench of feebleminded astrologers in the back row clap)

AS YOU KNOW, EXPERTS FROM ALL COUNTRIES NOW DEEM ARCOSCEPHALE TO BE THE PREMIER NATION OF THE COSMOS. I CAN CONFIRM THAT I AM THE MOST MUSCULAR ENTITY I KNOW OF.

I WILL NOW ACCEPT YOUR UNCONDITIONAL PLEDGE OF FEALTY. YOU ARE TO SUBMIT BY ALPHABETICAL ORDER TO MY DIRECTOR OF COMMUNICATION AND COMPLIANCE, HERO JOE.

(the winged monster majestically takes off)

You heard the Man! Please pass by my office when your surrender papers are ready!

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #359 on: November 14, 2017, 06:12:05 am »

The Mummy was better at everything except protection // moral and resistances, the fishy-watchers are not impressed yet. Beat your way into the Hall of Fame and we'll see.

(For Reference)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

How does retreat work anyway? Say I cast Creeping Doom for a bunch of 50 moral things, then retreat my caster, will the 50-moral-things keep fighting with 0 commanders on the field?
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 [24] 25 26 ... 39