Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 388

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2838275 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2370 on: August 29, 2019, 02:30:43 am »

Couple questions on the map rewrite:

1. Will we get multi-level furniture? For example, grand doors that are 2+ z-levels high and multi-block statues, similar to trees?
:
There is going to be a multi tile mechanisms/traps arc some time after the Myth&Magic arc. This arc may include boats, unless those are introduced earlier (Toady is grappling with the mutual dependency between boats and economy). Things mentioned in this context are elevators, more elaborate traps using multiple tiles, multi level entrances, etc. One would assume the map rewrite is going to take these future changes into account by allowing for them to be introduced, ideally by having the framework in place ("ideally" in the sense that things often run into complications when you're actually implementing a feature).
Boats is the moving parts arc. They are literally "moving bits of map" (in the plans so far mentioned). So it will include boats.
Only question is if it comes before or after the economy.

Renarin21

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2371 on: August 29, 2019, 07:46:33 am »

Will there be "semi-public" organizations? For example, a kingdoms counter-espionage department, which might be publicly known to exist, and might have some members who exist to communicate with people not in the organization, but many of the members are unknown to people not in the organization.

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2372 on: August 29, 2019, 10:00:18 pm »

Now that we have the ability to retire and unretire a Fortress, will we eventually gain the ability to pick and choose a selection of dwarves, animals, resources, weapons and tools from our current fort in order to chain-embark to go found a new site somewhere else? Will we eventually be able to bring certain animals on embark from our breeding programs that have been painstakingly bred to be, e.g., larger or taller than average or with certain color traits? Could we, one day, even embark with an artifact from our old fort?

Also, in fort mode, will players eventually be able to trade artifacts, at least between sites within our fort's civilization?

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2373 on: August 29, 2019, 11:09:04 pm »

Are player necromancers going to be able to do the corrupting of citizens and other such experiments on things?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2374 on: August 29, 2019, 11:58:12 pm »

Are player necromancers going to be able to do the corrupting of citizens and other such experiments on things?
I suspect one would need a proper necro tower to conduct new species breeding experiments. One for the playable wizard tower arc probably?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2375 on: August 30, 2019, 12:01:30 am »

Now that we have the ability to retire and unretire a Fortress,
Also, in fort mode, will players eventually be able to trade artifacts, at least between sites within our fort's civilization?

Trading artifacts has been a thing since...last version? Maybe a bit before that. Selling them (or giving them away) anyhow. Do you mean buying them from other forts? Can't do that yet (at least I've never seen the merchants turn up with any besides books and I don't think you can request them).

Yellowgreen. Nice. Easy on the eyes.

AliceRed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2376 on: August 30, 2019, 09:57:49 pm »

You mentioned one of the dice effects is a syndrome which turns your adventurer into an animal. Could this lead to the ability to make creatures which only reproduce by turning other creatures into more of them in gameplay? Curious since aside from Vamps and Werebeasts I believe that only exists in worldgen right now, and is a very common fantasy trope.

These new horrific necromancer/demon creations, are they likely to be one of the things modified by the tone meter you mentioned for future, myth and magic versions of the game? If so, I'm increasingly excited to see what that meter is like turned all the way up in a few years.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2019, 12:44:56 am by AliceRed »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2377 on: August 31, 2019, 06:42:56 am »

You mentioned one of the dice effects is a syndrome which turns your adventurer into an animal. Could this lead to the ability to make creatures which only reproduce by turning other creatures into more of them in gameplay? Curious since aside from Vamps and Werebeasts I believe that only exists in worldgen right now, and is a very common fantasy trope.

Everything in worldgen is planned to sooner or later make it into post-worldgen/play, so considering vamps and werebeasts (and night trolls) already exist it will happen sooner or later. I don't see any direct connection between the dice effects and the effects you describe, but Toady has said he added "new tags to make polymorph-type abilities more versatile" (link), so that might be it. Also, if e.g. vampire turning is considered a "villain plan" they might make it in this next version due to that.

Are vampire/werebeast turning (not by curse) and night troll kidnappings considered "villain plans" that will be properly implemented by these beastly villains post-worldgen? Or have you advanced past the stage of adding villain plans, and they were not added when you did?

George_Chickens

• Bay Watcher
  • Ghosts are stored in the balls.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2378 on: August 31, 2019, 03:38:15 pm »

Will the player be able to perform the twisted necromancer experiments, or is it worldgen only?
Ghosts are stored in the balls?[/quote]
also George_Chickens quit fucking my sister

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2379 on: September 01, 2019, 10:08:10 am »

Now that we have the ability to retire and unretire a Fortress,

Trading artifacts has been a thing since...last version? Maybe a bit before that. Selling them (or giving them away) anyhow. Do you mean buying them from other forts? Can't do that yet (at least I've never seen the merchants turn up with any besides books and I don't think you can request them).
Thanks for the reply. I was primarily thinking of literally trading - i.e., swapping one for one - between forts within our own civilization. But the buying/selling was implied. And I must have forgotten that recent versions now allows selling.

Argh. I see that I've forgotten that, in Toady's example on how to ask questions, we were supposed to ask in limegreen. But I can agree that yellowgreen seems a bit more pleasant.

Schmaven

• Bay Watcher
  • Abiding
    • View Profile
« Reply #2380 on: September 01, 2019, 12:04:23 pm »

Argh. I see that I've forgotten that, in Toady's example on how to ask questions, we were supposed to ask in limegreen. But I can agree that yellowgreen seems a bit more pleasant.

both are better than plain green

Doorkeeper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2381 on: September 01, 2019, 01:04:33 pm »

I hope the FDG conference went well Toady. Do you know if there will be a public archive of your keynote presentation? I sort of know what the presentation was about from this Twitter post by FDG, and I also found this good Twitter live thread by one of the event listeners. It sounded really interesting. Congrats on the Award.

Yellow green is great, it really is better on the eyes. But I think lime green is bolder and highlights the text better, specifically in the Darkling theme. One or the other is fine, but not both. If people started using either colors, this thread may start to look like checkered vomit.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #2382 on: September 01, 2019, 03:57:33 pm »

I hope the FDG conference went well Toady. Do you know if there will be a public archive of your keynote presentation? I sort of know what the presentation was about from this Twitter post by FDG, and I also found this good Twitter live thread by one of the event listeners. It sounded really interesting. Congrats on the Award.

Is this the presentation Kitfox said would be up tomorrow (september 2:nd)(link to statement), or is it another one?

Also, it seems Tarn's beard is back. I suppose the intricacies of adding villainy called for an extra surge of dwarf power.

scourge728

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2383 on: September 01, 2019, 04:00:14 pm »

If people started using either colors, this thread may start to look like checkered vomit.
youmeanlikethis?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2384 on: September 01, 2019, 04:39:40 pm »

Is this the presentation Kitfox said would be up tomorrow (september 2:nd)(link to statement), or is it another one?

Also, it seems Tarn's beard is back. I suppose the intricacies of adding villainy called for an extra surge of dwarf power.
That's tomorrow.

There's was PAX livestream interview today too  Maybe it was a few hours ago?
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 [159] 160 161 ... 388