Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 389

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2851561 times)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #2850 on: January 30, 2020, 10:58:05 am »

Offloading the area and then returning does reset the FPS, so it seems like there is a performance hit for swapping around raws. After that there is no significant difference between speaking and non-speaking performance.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2851 on: January 30, 2020, 11:06:57 am »

A similar fix happened for pets digging around leading to their removal from the vanilla raws for FPS reasons, so this isn't hugely suprising that a large repititive offscreen site action might cause this. Its just a very convenient test audience with the new version.

Maybe we could take this over to a scientific thread on DF general to save a derail, but are you sure you're not mistaking conversations versus noise (of the sort that can wake dwarves sleeping close to heavily populated rooms with horns, drums singing and dancing) itself?

Beag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2852 on: January 30, 2020, 11:47:47 am »

I've noticed that when I played as an escaped experiment boogey men didn't attack me when I was alone at night, is this intended?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #2853 on: January 30, 2020, 11:49:43 am »

Bogeymen dont attack anything with [NOFEAR].
Also they wouldnt attack you now unless you're in the correct evil biome - they've been relegated to them instead (only 10% of evil biomes I think have bogeys).

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2854 on: January 30, 2020, 11:56:18 am »

Bogeymen dont attack anything with [NOFEAR].
Also they wouldnt attack you now unless you're in the correct evil biome - they've been relegated to them instead (only 10% of evil biomes I think have bogeys).

Or evil regions spreading out from a demon with the darkness/nightmare spheres. The contents of evil biomes are now also determined by spheres of their creators.
I am an indie game dev!
My Roguelike! With randomly generated creatures Roguelegends: Dark Realms
My Turn Based Strategy game! Which you can buy on steam now!DR4X
My website untrustedlife.com

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2855 on: January 30, 2020, 01:56:01 pm »

Any particular reason why we get the "you must leave this site before you can rest" (or whatever message it is) when we try to rest in friendly human forts?
I am an indie game dev!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2856 on: January 30, 2020, 03:18:27 pm »

Just curious: why are failed experiments represented by the letter "H" in-game as opposed to the "Ñ/ñ" tile used for other night creatures?
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Seagoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2857 on: January 30, 2020, 03:46:25 pm »

Seem to have a problem trying to ask for quests/report them to my characters superiors, the option is just not in the list. There is a 'hidden' option where the character says they are confused, but other than the usual options thats about it. What am i missing/doing wrong?

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2858 on: January 30, 2020, 03:51:22 pm »

Just curious: why are failed experiments represented by the letter "H" in-game as opposed to the "Ñ/ñ" tile used for other night creatures?

That color of Ñ is planned to be used by another type of night creature. https://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Night_creature
They are planned for weird sutured together things like frankenstein.
I am an indie game dev!

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2859 on: January 30, 2020, 04:01:54 pm »

That makes sense, I guess, I'm just a bit confused as to what "H" could stand for.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2860 on: January 30, 2020, 04:28:29 pm »

I noticed you have been doing different updates on steam versus on your own devlog lately? (eg today(1/30/2020) you talked about the new bugs on steam but didn't do a dev log on your website about it and you have done this a couple times now) Any plans to change it so you post the same thing in both or will i have to continue checking both from now on to get all the latest dev news?
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 04:31:01 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2861 on: January 30, 2020, 04:42:02 pm »

I noticed you have been doing different updates on steam versus on your own devlog lately? (eg today(1/30/2020) you talked about the new bugs on steam but didn't do a dev log on your website about it and you have done this a couple times now) Any plans to change it so you post the same thing in both or will i have to continue checking both from now on to get all the latest dev news?
I would much rather Toady posts the latest information whenever he posts something. Not mentioning things that he's done just because he hadn't done them when he posted somewhere several days ago just seems counterproductive. It's a single click away. Not to mention that everything he's saying over there is known by everyone over here.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 04:44:21 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2862 on: January 30, 2020, 05:57:11 pm »

I would much rather Toady posts the latest information whenever he posts something. Not mentioning things that he's done just because he hadn't done them when he posted somewhere several days ago just seems counterproductive. It's a single click away. Not to mention that everything he's saying over there is known by everyone over here.

Not sure you understand what im saying, he does dev logs on steam and on his website, sometimes he only does them on steam or on the website. It would be nice if he just posted in both places when he does one of those devlogs. Its not necessary and he can do whatever he wants, i'm just curious if hes gonna standardize it or not. I for one, post devlogs for my own games in all places they need to be posted (patreon, my discord etc), so i'm curious if hes gonna do something like that, it would be nice because sometimes people miss it when he posts it in only one place (in the case of steam i have missed a couple of devlogs)
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 06:06:36 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!

clinodev

• Bay Watcher
  • Embark Profile Enthusiast, Kitfox & reddit mod.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2863 on: January 30, 2020, 06:03:56 pm »

I'm sympathetic to your question myself. It's far from the first time the Steam update has gotten unique info, however trivial.

The best I can offer you though is that I do have a thread here on the forum where I post the Steam updates soon after they are uploaded, which you can subscribe to, and of course I always link them on the subreddit.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=174112.msg7983341#msg7983341
Team Bug Fix!

Untrustedlife

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Website
« Reply #2864 on: January 30, 2020, 06:09:06 pm »

I'm sympathetic to your question myself. It's far from the first time the Steam update has gotten unique info, however trivial.

The best I can offer you though is that I do have a thread here on the forum where I post the Steam updates soon after they are uploaded, which you can subscribe to, and of course I always link them on the subreddit.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=174112.msg7983341#msg7983341

I appreciate that by the way! I found that thread a couple days ago. Its just a bit odd that this is how things work right now. It would be even better if he also posted it on patreon in addition to doing the same on steam and on his devlog, i have supported bay12 on there for a long time. Then everything would be nice and equal and no one would feel left out just because they, for example find steam's forums toxic.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2020, 06:13:43 pm by Untrustedlife »
I am an indie game dev!
Pages: 1 ... 189 190 [191] 192 193 ... 389