Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 391

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 2912160 times)

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3840 on: February 11, 2021, 05:19:58 pm »

Is "bogeymen" pronounced /bʊ.gi,mɛn/ or /bəu.gi.mɛn/?
Boo pronunciation is spelt "Boogyman". So not that.

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: February 11, 2021, 05:33:53 pm »

As if we spell things like they sound in this language or anything is ever that simple.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: February 11, 2021, 05:41:37 pm »

As if we spell things like they sound in this language or anything is ever that simple.
Really?
Ok. Google failed me then. Why even have a word "Boogyman" if you're going to pronounce Bogeyman the same way. Ha ha.

Raymond Briggs fans pronounce it Bow (as in Bow-tie).
« Last Edit: February 11, 2021, 05:44:17 pm by Shonai_Dweller »

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: February 11, 2021, 05:45:45 pm »

Feedback on today's dev update: I'd place the entry for the workshop building material(s) at the end of the list rather than the beginning, based on the low frequency with with you actually want to look at it (more or less in case of a desperate need for wood/stone/magma safe stone in an emergency situation).

The logic of English spelling: How do you pronounce "ghoti"?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3844 on: February 11, 2021, 07:16:52 pm »

Wikipedia has /bəʊɡimæn/ and /boʊɡimæn/ listed, but I’d imagine there are further dialectal variants.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: February 11, 2021, 07:50:26 pm »

Taking the time aside, its interesting that you mention orphanages forward of any changes to animal caretakers in your recent live interview you did with Clinodev BlindIrl, so some of my questions are feedback based to that.

* In terms of baby mismanagement, would mothers in the military be programmed with better baby handling UI (putting them down for one), or are prospective parents (dads and mothers all) going to pick up any incidental babies on the battlefield and start using them as improv shields. (yeah that'll sort their stress-balance out all-right) like they roughhandle their own offspring.

* And how do you expect to handle some of the odder fringe cases of babies left behind from experiments or semi-intelligents (sieging and wild trolls comes to mind killed in the midst of combat) who don't really fit into the category of being socially presentable unless you have some weird hands-off goblin creche thing going on to encourage it.

I can imagine goblins might even feel a small fuzzy feeling welling inside about becoming the private parental guardian of some child they have snatched from the field of battle or out theiving, each warrior grabbing every youngling they can in arm before trying to scarper or toasting their victory over a fortress, but probably loathe actually looking after them communally.

That and the dwarf couple with a awkward adoptive troll son, who whilst very groomed and much loved is undoubtedly still a troll in a tunic.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 04:35:31 pm by FantasticDorf »

BlueManedHawk

• Bay Watcher
  • Does you is not can the have the yet what do it be
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: February 11, 2021, 09:32:01 pm »

No, you can't spell fish "ghoti" and have it be consistent with english spelling.  However, you can spell it "pfysche", which is still pretty ridiculous.

How do i use sigtext properly?

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: February 11, 2021, 09:40:07 pm »

No, you can't spell fish "ghoti" and have it be consistent with english spelling.  However, you can spell it "pfysche", which is still pretty ridiculous.
It's the word ghoti (made up word, but still a classic example) being pronounced in the same way as you would pronounce fish. No-one's spelling any existing words differently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoti

Nilsolm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: February 12, 2021, 05:54:40 am »

Speaking of pronunciation:

Is there something like an official pronunciation guide for the languages in the game? I've always wondered how all those dwarven vowels are supposed to be pronounced.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: February 12, 2021, 04:28:35 pm »

It's the word ghoti (made up word, but still a classic example) being pronounced in the same way as you would pronounce fish. No-one's spelling any existing words differently.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ghoti

It's not a word consistent with English logic, though. Placement of letters is important.
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #3850 on: February 12, 2021, 06:17:36 pm »

Speaking of pronunciation:

Is there something like an official pronunciation guide for the languages in the game? I've always wondered how all those dwarven vowels are supposed to be pronounced.

My guess, from knowing the languages were thrown together relatively quickly as a placeholder for eventual procgen languages, is that the letters for each language were chosen on gut feeling, with the available codepage having lots of diacritics to spice up the orthography. It's only speculation though, Toady will have to (de)confirm it.

That said, you're not the first person to wonder about it, as some forumgoers went out of their way to codify the Dwarven language a couple of years ago. Personally I favor Loam's comments on phonology.

Nilsolm

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: February 13, 2021, 05:38:10 am »

My guess, from knowing the languages were thrown together relatively quickly as a placeholder for eventual procgen languages, is that the letters for each language were chosen on gut feeling, with the available codepage having lots of diacritics to spice up the orthography. It's only speculation though, Toady will have to (de)confirm it.

That said, you're not the first person to wonder about it, as some forumgoers went out of their way to codify the Dwarven language a couple of years ago. Personally I favor Loam's comments on phonology.

Thanks, that thread looks interesting! I'll look at it more closely when I find the time.

Uthimienure

• Bay Watcher
  • O frabjous day!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: February 13, 2021, 10:22:10 am »

Why can't we make wooden training maces & warhammers?
FPS in Gravearmor (850+ dwarves) is 3-6 (v0.47.05 lives on).
"I've never really had issues with the old DF interface (I mean, I loved even 'umkh'!)" ... brewer bob
As we say in France: "ah, l'amour toujours l'amour"... François D.

FantasticDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: February 13, 2021, 02:43:10 pm »

Why can't we make wooden training maces & warhammers?

[TRAINING] token in weapons.txt creates wood training variants of them default in carpenter workshops & for elves to use in war if they also have the corresponding weapon tokens but i guess if you want to ask Toady, it might by insightful to see why its left off game development-wise. The only other thing i'll say that [USE_WOOD_WEAPONS] leaves off that they can't use exotic wood they produce the logs for by reactions & such, but only by renewable wood resources.

Like glumprong/silver barb for goblins, they're able to colonize the right spots and even utilize with tokens, but because the trees are infertile with no seeds, and barbs don't have a suitable cookable/industrial component they never incorporate it into their decorations, shields or clothing. Hopefully it'll get noticed and scooped up for the premium DF releases along with the maggot cheese if the fields are expanded.

Sver

• Bay Watcher
  • An army marches on its oiling and waxing
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: February 14, 2021, 10:26:56 am »

Does the new UI and/or tutorial promts for Premium DF imply there's going to be a makeover of some raw files, such as reaction raws? Or will the UI/tutorial simply interpret the old raws in a new way in that regard?
DF Combat Reworked
No overpowered force transfer, no easy life without a kidney, more functional variety among the weapons and other improvements.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 391