Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Placing Items on Companions  (Read 2719 times)

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Placing Items on Companions
« on: July 22, 2018, 04:53:29 pm »

Besides what is mentioned in the dwarf fortress wiki...  are there any tools so I can quickly change the gear my companions are wearing with new gear I'm finding?   A bowman in my group placed his bronze boot inside the quiver and he is obviously too stupid to equip the boot himself. 

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Placing Items on Companions
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2018, 06:48:02 pm »

If a companion has any container, they will always place items they are given into the container.  The only vanilla way to fixing this (that I know of) is to barter with the companion to get their container, then give them back the container.  For example, make up some stupid bone jewellery, then trade the boot and whatever bracelets it takes to get their quiver.  Finish trading and let them equip the boot.  Then trade the quiver for some (or none, perhaps) of the bracelets.  Your companions *do* tend to inherit a kind of Mr T style of fashion, but it works.

peasant cretin

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER][GNAWER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2018, 12:01:46 am »

A great trade method in any scenario, is to overload the NPC with high value duplicate items (generally armor). For example, if I want to get a bowman's loaded quiver, I'll trade them multiple mail shirts. There's only so many that NPC will wear, and the rest they'll drop onto the tile they're standing on. You can do this with helms, chain leggings, etc.

From a pure utility perspective, NPCs don't need containers (quiver/pouch). As long as they have one, they can't accept alcohol filled mugs at the tavern.

Usually with any ranged unit I recruit, I get rid of their quiver/pouch, as they function just fine with bow/xbow in one hand and missiles in the other. One blip though is during brawls, the ranged unit will strap the bow/xbow, but still hold that bundle of sharp missiles. This may affect what they do during a no quarter combat where you want them shooting, but instead they'll opt to bundle stab.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2018, 11:38:43 pm »

Thanks... I was hoping there was some tool where I could manually remove and equip items for companions.  These companions are willing to follow us for miles into the deepest and dangerous caves to fight even impossible battles... considering this truth it seems broken for dwarf fortress to force players to micro-manage trading items with companions just to equip the items they need.  ::)  Instead the companions are placing metal boots into their quivers even when they have no shoes... in any other game developers would identify this as a bug.   :(

FakerFangirl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Youtube
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 02:50:31 am »

If a companion has any container, they will always place items they are given into the container.
Stupidity at its best. Who needs a sword when you have a waterskin.
"Should we call a beak dog a gobbo doggo?" - Relevant_-_-Username

adamkad1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 11:32:54 am »

Honestly i think the best way to change equipment on companions is to use DFHack, drop shit you want him to have, tell him to wait near that, walk out of sight radius, change to arena mode-controlling creature, get out of creature with ctrl-a or something, assume controll of companion, equip shit, done. DF hack theorethically got a companion command plugin but i never got it to work right besides making them move thru rivers

mikekchar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2018, 11:58:56 pm »

in any other game developers would identify this as a bug.

It doesn't matter what you put before that quote, it's a reality in DF  ;)  Toady does development differently.  I don't necessarily agree with it, but then he *has* managed to build a game that surprises me virtually every time I play it.  Some of that is due to what I would call an "uncontrolled development style".  I would be spending half my time making sure my code works the way I expected it to and in no other way.  Toady seems to "corral" his code and try to coerce it into doing interesting things, even without knowing exactly what it's going to do.  I often think (even while being frustrated with bugs like this) how impossible it would be for me to build a game like this using my normal development techniques....

So, for better or worse, it is the way it is.  Take the good with the bad...