Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New approach to making underwater obsidian things?  (Read 464 times)

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New approach to making underwater obsidian things?
« on: March 16, 2008, 05:21:00 pm »

I believe the current approach to building artificial obsidian things in seas/lakes is to pump magma out and drop it, sitting through endless cavein messages. I just thought of another way.

You build a mold above the water, and pump magma and water into it alternately to make obsidian, in the shape you want sitting on the bottom, then when you're done with that, collapse the mold. (Perhaps deconstructing much of it first so you're not stuck with blocks/stone/whatever sitting on the bottom you cant' get to.) The entire obsidian mass should cave-in once, settling to the bottom and allowing you greater control. (No problems with you pillar reacing to the surface and then being supported and just spreading an umbrella out over the top of the water, for example.)

It'd be a huge pain in the ass while we have the current construction interface, but does this sound like it'd work?

Mephisto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New approach to making underwater obsidian things?
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2008, 07:32:00 pm »

I don't imagine that would work too well. Currently, doesn't rock settle to the lowest available spot? Just say for the course of this thread that I wanted to make a giant "T" for something.
code:

TTTTT
 T
 T
 T

When disconnected from everything, I believe it will cave in and settle to
code:

T
 T
 T
TTTTT

At least, that's happened to me before. Others may have had more experience with this kind of thing.

Zereth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2008, 07:56:00 pm »

I know that, but in order to get that underwater, you'd need to drop exactly one unit of magma on the four edge squares, then four in the middle, without any spreading. Doing it my way wouldn't let you make overhangs, but the magma drop method doesn't either unless you want it at the very top of the water. Mine would also let you wall off part of a lake or ocean and drain it if you wanted to.

Kogan Loloklam

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm suffering from an acute case of Hominini Terravitae Biologis. Keep your distance!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2008, 08:38:00 pm »

I just use channels and a flow-bridge. I pour the form, then send my workers out to adjust it with channels.
... if someone dies TOUGH LUCK. YOU SHOULD HAVE PAYED ATTENTION DURING ALL THE DAMNED DODGING DEMONSTRATIONS!