Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11

Author Topic: And Boldy We Stride (SG)  (Read 9157 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: And Boldy We Stride (SG)
« Reply #135 on: January 12, 2019, 12:24:13 pm »

- Project Phoenix x1
- Project Outlast x2
- Harden Initiative Compound

I don't think the satellite will help us any, since we'd have to wait for radio waves to slowly propagate to our new location.
We know where we are in the galaxy from looking at the stars, and have plotted out starcharts. We can find Earth again if needed.

I'm surprised that that's where the morale problem is, since Exodites and Horkorists both need the same initial step of a stable self-sustaining colony.

It was foolish, stupid. A sense of old world morality, stating „We can't just take genetically superior people with us.“, „We need to save as many as we can.“ and „We can't just leave them behind!“. Yes, yes and yes. They could. They need to. This was not a matter of morality, of doing the right thing. Why did they even apply old world morality to this all? It was what gave to this mess in the first place. It was not genetic inferiority, it was genetic viability. Compatible with what they had and geared towards keeping a strong, genetic base for a population bottleneck unprecedented since the first Ice Age.
Quit being an edgelord and jeopardizing the mission with your idiocy, we're taking as many workers with us as we can to get this colony off the ground, and as much genetic diversity as possible, even if flawed. If we find alien super-predators that eat 80% of the population then Humanity is doomed if we're not taking as many as we can.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 03:17:05 pm by Nirur Torir »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: January 12, 2019, 03:30:35 pm »

Double post, but I'm late for the vote and it's a new topic important for discussion:

We need to burn an action on security. We have an insane guy in the upper echelons who thinks whatever he has planned is the only path towards Humanity's survival, and the chaos of the transfer is the best place to strike. He might do something "benign" like lurking in the shadows to "help" and do something like blow the generator so the less important civilians get left behind, or he might subvert people and form a splinter colony with half our stuff, taking some critical data hostage and scrambling the other copies.

Project Fair Security - Transfer and arrival will be chaotic times, and we have dissenters who vehemently disagree with our new mission. We need to increase security. Track the movements of the Project Phoenix team especially, but everyone who has issues with our new mission. Plot likely attempts to form a rebel network, intervene if necessary. Increase security for the power conduits and device, and for all important supplies and data.
We're not going full police state. We don't need to bug their meetings and plant hidden cameras around the base, that's too intrusive and would cause more problems than it would solve. But we do need to ensure that nobody can tamper with the GENESIS data just because they're important.

- Project Phoenix
- Project Outlast
- Project Fair Security

Chiefwaffles

• Bay Watcher
  • I've been told that waffles are no longer funny.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: January 12, 2019, 03:44:00 pm »

Alternative idea: Just fucking exile the dude. Let him whine about genetics on Earth, outside of the compound. (mostly sarcastic.)

Here's my take on Fair Security. Pretty much the same thing, but hey.
Project Transitive Security
Society has fallen apart, Earth is entering a nuclear winter, blah blah blah.
What matters is that we're still alive and we're going to stay alive. Despite the probable efforts of CERTAIN PEOPLE.

Security teams (likely temporary) will be formed from our military assets. They'll be picked for loyalty and for diversity (to ensure that entire teams can't be corrupted -- that once someone starts acting out of line, the others willl report them). They'll be tasked with, in descending order of priority:
1.) Protecting power conduits and generators
2.) Protecting the Genesis archives
3.) Protecting the means of transport
4.) Protecting people and important cargo.

Potential dissidents will be monitored discretely. Anyone who attempts to sabotage the Initiative in any way will be imprisoned. A vote will be held across the entire initiative, and if more than 50% people vote yes with the given evidence, the person will be exiled. (This is merely a stop-gap measure; in the future we will streamline our security process. For now, we want to make sure we keep the support of the people here).

----
If the edgelord & co decide to do some sabotage, then we should catch them before is hurt. Considering edgelord's whole hatred of the common class, keeping the opinion against him should be trivial.

Also, speaking of which, let's stop Project Phoenix for now. Don't give him any more power or access. Once we're past the point where some jerk can sabotage our entire operation out of a personal vendetta, we can continue it. It's not critical, like I said. If Project Phoenix is paused, then edgelord won't have sufficient authority to come up with any plausible excuses why he's touching the archives or "fixing up" the power conduits or whatever.

- Project Outlast
- Project Transitive Security x2

Quote from: RAM
You should really look to the wilderness for your stealth ideas, it has been doing it much longer than you have after all. Take squids for example, that ink trick works pretty well, and in water too! So you just sneak into the dam upsteam, dump several megatons of distressed squid into it, then break the dam. Boom, you suddenly have enough water-proof stealth for a whole city!

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: January 12, 2019, 04:17:27 pm »

I voted to leave him on Phoenix so he's not idle, but a security x2 might work better. Tempting.

Considering edgelord's whole hatred of the common class, keeping the opinion against him should be trivial.
Agreed. After a few turns, the rest of the Phoenix team's annoyance over being slighted should dissipate, and then we're left with Mr. Revenge and whatever support he's drummed up, against .. Well, we'd better try to take moral route to things to keep public opinion on our side. I'm not even sure about exiling him with a public vote, since that still leaves him a martyr to his supporters, who would continue to be a thorn in our side.

Edit: Keeping Phoenix going might relieve rebellious sentiment for the team. If part of the problem is that they're slighted over "Do this .. Okay, now we're completely ignoring your suggestion for something important," then pausing the project might leave them alienated.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2019, 04:20:32 pm by Nirur Torir »

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: January 12, 2019, 04:36:10 pm »

Transitive security is... again, that's going to breed more dissent than it solves. And Marvin's more.... agitated by wasting resources and worrying about nostalgia than anything else. Finishing Phoenix would solve that more than anything else. Only thing he's likely to sabotage at all is the gate on the other side after we've gone through.

Moreover, I have a plan to mollify them utterly once and for all. But we outright need to finish, or come very close to, project phoenix. Which means forgoing outlast and any attempts to launch a beacon into space.
Quote from: evictedSaint
We sided with the holocaust for a fucking +1 roll

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: January 12, 2019, 04:45:28 pm »

I don't care if it breeds a bit of dissent, that will be much less threatening once our resources aren't all in easily stolen trucks.

What's your plan? No point in keeping it secret.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: January 12, 2019, 05:06:23 pm »

By essentially spreading an ideology which, while keeping in line with the Horkorist's beliefs, says that if we can't fix earth, it behoves us to evacuate the people of earth to our new world instead, and that in either case the development of our world takes priority between the ability to actually support opening the gate and the support the population coming through it, along with added details about preserving the 'soul' of humanity which I'll admit I swiped from Civ:BE

We're not going to ever forget earth or the people on it, but both need us to be far stronger than what we currently are. And we're going to lack a lot of that strength if Phoenix isn't completed and we waste time chains dissent when there's little risk of it now (Ironically, chasing dissent while our shit is still vulnerable to being stolen means the increase in dissent would make that a lot more likelier to happen in the first place)

TopHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: January 12, 2019, 05:33:43 pm »

I disagree strongly with enacting security measures now; I severely doubt the Exodites will take any measures which could harm the development of the colony and therefore the future of humanity they hold so dear. Implying that they would by building up security transparantly directed against them will just breed resentment. They may well become a problem later but until our future at the destination is secured I wouldn't worry about it.

Actions:

-Project Phoenix x2
-Project Outlast
-Harden Initiative Compound

I think we should hit the test site, though more because of the potential resources and equipment there than the launch itself per se. Plus we can hopefully sync it with project Outlast to relay the signal. EDIT - On second thoughts, probably best to give it a miss this turn and try to finish Pheonix first.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 10:50:32 am by TopHat »
I would ask why fire can burn two men to death without getting hot enough to burn a book, but then I read "INEXTINGUISHABLE RUNNING KAMIKAZE RADIOACTIVE FLAMING ZOMBIE" and realized that logic, reason, and physics are all occupied with crying in the corner right now.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: January 12, 2019, 05:37:19 pm »

The problem with taking any equipment from the SpaceX site is that if we do that, any equipment from Phoenix's completion might not be able to be taken, at least without having to leave something else behind.

EDIT: It's also likely we can deal with SpaceX next turn too, so it's best to probably wait for then as well.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: January 12, 2019, 05:39:35 pm »

I disagree strongly with enacting security measures now; I severely doubt the Exodites will take any measures which could harm the development of the colony and therefore the future of humanity they hold so dear. Implying that they would by building up security transparantly directed against them will just breed resentment. They may well become a problem later but until our future at the destination is secured I wouldn't worry about it.
I'm not worried about the Exodites so much, I'm worried about Marvin.

All thrown into the wind under the notions of ethics and this promise. Did they forgot their first oath already? To do what needs to be done for Humanity, no matter the cost? He abandoned his family, his people, his country and his creed for this singular goal and now they betrayed it. For nostalgia.

They will pay for it. Horkos was not only the god of Oaths, as the Horkorists say. He was the punishment, the fury of a broken promise. And they broke theirs to Humanity.

He will be their Horkos.
This is blind vengeance, not a rational disagreement.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: January 12, 2019, 05:41:21 pm »

And again, he's not going to be stupid. He may be vengeful, but anything he's going to do is going to be on the other side of the gate. That's when we worry about Marvin, not before.

joaquin55

• Bay Watcher
  • i want die
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: January 14, 2019, 11:42:59 am »

PTW

Dragor23

• Bay Watcher
  • A brazillion of football
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: January 19, 2019, 09:54:19 am »

2047 Autumn

Opportunity Results

Project Phoenix 2X

“Well, what do we have here?” , Lo asked as she curled her hands around one of these silly motif cups Westerners so dearly loved, sipping the approximation of coffee from it. Of course it was starkly artificial. Too bitter to be real coffee and the aftertaste of refined proteins for the caffeine lingered on her tongue. But the Initiative pushed the Phoenix Project on overdrive.

She thought it was to soothe Marvin, but it was having the opposite effect. He became more and more irritated, anxious and tense as time went on and more and more it was revealed how dire the situation was – not now but for future generations.

Her co-worker, a tall French fellow, picked up from the civilians and revealed to be a endocrinologist back in the day were there were still hospitals, gave a wry smile. “My own genealogy. I didn't want to look at it, but I am one of the last.”

“And?”, she asked, her hand wandering to his arm, touching it reassuringly. She didn't give much for romance, but times like these made the comfort of another human all the warmer. And he was very warm. But what did the test reveal?

“11-beta-hydroxylase deficiency, 3-methylcrotonyl-CoA carboxylase deficiency, Brachydactyly tibial hypoplasia and Anodontia. And my swimmers have no tails. I think I'm firmly slated under “no go”.”, he finally admitted, rattling off congenital diseases she never heard of. She bit her lip. Another infertile. She wasn't, she knew. Almost anyone before the Long Night wasn't truly affected. After it, people were less lucky. Still to be found, a stroke of luck of not being exposed to ambient radiation enough, mostly in windy regions or high up, mountainous folk.

But the Horkorists picked up a lot of the people Marvin urged them not to. More workers, they said.

“Forty percent.”, said he. Speak of the devil. Marvin, haggard, tall and pale, stared at the screen of her co-worker. “You're in the forty percent, Jacque.”, he muttered. And patted his back, even hugging him, his face bitter. “I'm so sorry.”, he fluted. Her friend just shrugged, giving a sardonic, little smile. “Not much I can change about it. Can you?”

“No. I wished it was different.”, the team leader retorted, exhaling heavily, “We need some protocols in place. Pairing the fertiles with the fertiles, even if they get a whole new host of congenital diseases. Maybe artificial insemination. Group marriage. I don't know. There has to be a solution for the MESS THE HORKORISTS BROUGHT US IN.”

There it was. Another anger outburst. Jacque and Lo preferred to get out of dodge because soon objects will start flying. The worst part was, they understood his anger.

Project Phoenix was completed and revealed a dire situation for the future of the colony. Roughly 40% of all personnel has been rendered completely infertile or would have serious troubles to procreate without outside assistance. This number includes people simply too old, people who have been rendered infertile due to exposure to radioactive materials and those who have voluntarily sterilized themselves before anything happened.
Beyond that, about 30% of the fertile group are host to congenital diseases which will manifest in the newer generations sooner or later. Under these are a host of new mutations and disorders which have a potentially negative effect on infants and newborns. The current moniker for these diseases are called “Post Exodus Disorders” and warrant further study if they manifest in newborns – if they do.
However, with the large percentile of completely infertile colonists this will seriously deplete the numbers of people after a few generations, possibly jeopardizing critical operations in the future.

Exodites urge the Initiative to reconsider radically how to handle this, proposing various solutions, which range from medical applications and assistance to shifting paradigms and the very concept of marriage or childrearing.

Project Outlast 1X

Outlast, while scoffed at by Exodites, united the Fidelists and Custodians under the leadership of the Horkorists. Eagerly, agents and volunteers went all over the globe to scout out potential sites for the “Mini-Genesis” libraries, which were quickly developed. While cut down in size and lacking several newer designs and military blueprints, they contain enough data to help any human in a nuclear wasteland – a civilian version of the Naja suit (without armour) for example or hydroponics, as well easy to build solar panels or geothermal generators.

These panels and generators also fuel the Mini-Genesis libraries, which need considerable power draw for a far reaching enough signal. Although the nuclear winter hinders sunlight to shine on it. Thus, not many of these libraries can be distributed, as they need specific requirements such as active magma lodes or strong wind to be powered.

Agents and volunteers also place riddles, puzzles and hints all around the globe to guide Humanity to these devices, as well as downloading partial maps to the database of them. If any group finds more than two of these libraries, they will gain the location of the Antarctic Base.

Harden Initiative Base 1X

Speaking of the base, people were busy fortifying and hardening it, as well developing protocols to keep it on low voltage sleeping mode to keep the machines functional as long as possible. A half life of 50 years is expected until the Genesis Library left behind will turn off, which will slowly fragment data on it, but this is a condition engineers can't change. The most important part – the gate – has been placed into the end room of a tunnel road and fortified to a degree that cave-ins will be very unlikely even in hundred years.

This will be the last hope of the Horkorists. Even if everything else fails, maybe this one room will remain intact for the future generations that will return and seed Earth with life again.

Projects

No projects!

Opportunities

Use SpaceX test site

One of the problems of returning to Earth is finding it again after the portal has been stepped through. However, an old, still somewhat functional facility of SpaceX might yield a solution to that problem, using it to fire a beacon satellite into geosynchronous orbit. Using this, we might be able to find the signal when landing in the colony.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: January 19, 2019, 01:17:38 pm »

I think the easiest solution is implanting fertilized eggs into those who want children, but who shouldn't have any, combined with a hefty cultural shift and penalties if those in the middle 30% have kids on their own.

If we have the resources to spare on the new planet, we should look into artificial wombs, so the infertile can have kids too, so our population remains stable.

Getting started on this should placate Martin and the Phoenix team.

I don't see much else we need to do here. Mining to fill that last 10%, trying to contact any colony ships that survived, or herding more moral groups to the bunkers. We could run a psychology program, or try to get an early start on space for some satellite mapping.

Taricus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: January 19, 2019, 06:24:36 pm »

Or we could do something radical. Iron Wombs. But trying to contact the colony ships now would be a waste of time. They're definitely too far gone at this stage.

Project: Kamino
Taking it's name from an old Sci-fi story of old earth, the outright goal of this project is is to effectively disconnect the requirement of human mating to reproduce humanity. By the construction of artificial wombs, the future population crisis could be lessened or averted altogether. To more thoroughly alleviate the issue however, a far more radical side of the project is adopted for the post-birth sequence from the wombs; communal upbringing and a radical refinement of the concept of parenthood for these children. By focusing on rearing the 'tank-born' children in full groups of roughly a dozen, we can reduce how many carers we need to overlook the children. And with the ability to mass-produce children on a near constant basis, not only do we effectively curtail the genetic crisis, but we retain elements of freedom for our population that would otherwise be scoured from existence by conditions in the colony.

Project: Last Boarding Call
With the genetic diversity crisis on our hands, we must take the opportunity to secure what untainted human genetic material exists on earth. Our actions here may be cruel, even horrific. But to not do them would condemn humanity to a slow, horrific extinction. So we must do what is needed for humanity's survival. Mistakes were made in the past, and they will be rectified.

Actions:
-Project Kamino x3
-Project Last Boarding Call
« Last Edit: January 21, 2019, 06:10:02 pm by Taricus »
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11