Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 38

Author Topic: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.11 Edition!)  (Read 398108 times)

frightlever

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Steam Official Announcement Thread (50.01 Edition!)
« Reply #495 on: December 20, 2022, 09:47:32 am »

I do rather hope that Kitfox take note of us, here, at least whenever they pop in to see if they need to render the latest Announcement for our benefit.

As you said, this forum is deader than it's ever been and going forward most discussion will be on Steam and the most relevent discussion will be on the Kitfox Discord, which I will probably migrate over to. I don't like Discord, not even a little bit, but it sounds like my kind of place if they're actively moderating idiots.

Also, and I'm not trying to be mean here, but the way you write is painful to parse and understand, and I can only imagine that someone for whom English isn't a first language is really going to struggle with it. I would urge you to look up Orwell's Six Rules of Writing.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: December 22, 2022, 02:23:58 pm »

looks like 50.04 just released and with it classic edition has landed.

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
« Reply #497 on: December 22, 2022, 02:54:43 pm »

Steam Community Update 22 December 2022: Classic Mode is here! + The Team Grows

https://steamcommunity.com/games/975370/announcements/detail/3625992251197549467

Full text:

Classic Mode is here! + The Team Grows
Our last update of the year brings Classic and more fixes

Hey Urists,

We have another important update before we are off for the holidays! We are happy to announce that we now have ❗❗ Classic "graphics"
❗❗ (i.e. ASCII-esque font-based glyphs) available. You can now toggle between Classic Mode and the premium graphical version with the press of a button!

Why play Classic? Pretend you're a time-traveler, or seeing through the Matrix, or just explore a new way to play your favorite game. Those of you out there who prefer to only play Classic mode without the premium graphics and so on also know you can find it on the Bay 12 website, as per usual.

The team grows

With the success of the Steam launch, we are now able to bring on some more help for future updates and events.

Firstly, Putnam is a very prominent, long-time member of the Dwarf Fortress community and will be helping Toady with programming. This is a historic moment, as never before have non-Adams eyes seen the Dwarf Fortress code. Welcome, Putnam! We wish you luck and courage.

You may also be familiar with SalfordSal, a content creator who joined us for an episode of Let's Learn Dwarf Fortress. She will be joining the community team to help with Discord and will be hosting streams on the Kitfox Twitch channel!

We are so excited to be able to grow the team and can't wait to show you what we have planned! As always, please be kind and considerate to all of the humans associated with Dwarf Fortress, whether you see them on stream, Discord, Twitter, or elsewhere. Well, ideally we'd all be kind to all humans everywhere, but here's a good place to get in some practice.

Release notes for 50.04 (December 22, 2022)

Along with the addition of Classic mode, we have updated more graphics, and few more fixes to ambient audio. Plus now you can collect those silly Steam trading cards! Each one features a different biome and glimpse of some creatures you might find there. Collect 'em all! Or don't!

Also, as far as we know all of these changes are compatible with your old generated worlds and save files, so no need to start fresh unless you're feeling the itch. OK so on to the real patch notes:

Graphics additions/changes
  • Can now swap back and forth from Classic tile mode (in video settings.)
  • Graphics for some picked outdoor plants.
  • Updated engraved walls.
  • Added some custom symbols.
  • Enabled Steam trading cards.

Audio additions/changes
  • Added a music frequency option in the audio settings (default 3-5 minutes, can be set from 10 minutes to 10 seconds.)
  • Made outdoor ambiences alternate between being more active and a few neutral wind ambiences.
  • Made the wild ambience use some randomly spaced howls and giant footsteps.
  • Updated trade depot ambience.

Other bug fixes/tweaks
  • Ability to add/remove all civilians/soldiers from a burrow
  • Can advance the game one frame (default key = period)
  • Made assigning multiple squad positions continue to position 10 instead of stopping at 9

Thank you so much for an incredible 2022! It was a year of much anticipation and we hope to continue growing the game and the community in 2023 and beyond! Have a safe and restful holiday, maybe teach grandma how to make her first fort and we shall see you in the new year!

-Kitfox Games + Bay 12 Games

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: December 22, 2022, 04:04:00 pm »

Huh, added Putnam as a developer?  Seems like a solid choice from what I've seen but I'm surprised that Toady opted to relent and decide to work with another programmer on the game.  It needed to happen, but I can understand why he's been reluctant for so long since coordinating with someone else can be a challenge.

Anyway, glad to see Classic come out so quickly.  I was expecting several more weeks at least.

Here's hoping that the testing arena returns quickly too.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

ixn

• Bay Watcher
  • bap
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: December 22, 2022, 05:03:41 pm »

Wonderful news. Glad to see progress is unimpeded. Very proud for Putnam. It is a little strange that Toady actually ended up accepting another programmer, but if anyone deserves it, it's someone as prolific and knowledgable as Putnam. Cheers, everyone!
she / they

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: December 23, 2022, 12:26:57 am »

Good!  Classic is out, so I can tide myself over until I get a properly working Linux system with Steam up and running/enough disposable cash to purchase the Steam version.  The only problem is that I can’t seem to find the 32-bit Linux version of 0.50.04 anywhere…
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: December 23, 2022, 12:35:03 am »

Good!  Classic is out, so I can tide myself over until I get a properly working Linux system with Steam up and running/enough disposable cash to purchase the Steam version.  The only problem is that I can’t seem to find the 32-bit Linux version of 0.50.04 anywhere…
There's no no Linix version yet. None of the ports outside of Windows have been made yet. They don't just magically appear. Toady already said he can't do it himself.

A_Curious_Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: December 23, 2022, 01:44:03 am »

There's no no Linix version yet. None of the ports outside of Windows have been made yet. They don't just magically appear. Toady already said he can't do it himself.
Hmm… I must have missed something somewhere.  Oh well.  I’ve waited this long.  I can wait longer.
Really hoping somebody puts this in their signature.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: December 24, 2022, 12:42:17 pm »

The classic looks much better than I excepted. Only issue atm is the temporary lack of zoom option, is there any settings I can edit to make the tiles a little bigger for my eyes?

Ziusudra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: December 24, 2022, 03:35:46 pm »

The classic looks much better than I excepted. Only issue atm is the temporary lack of zoom option, is there any settings I can edit to make the tiles a little bigger for my eyes?
The first 4 settings on the Video tab control the scale, either the 1st 3 together or the 4th one alone when the first is set to No. I find setting the height to the minimum and adjusting the width works best.
Ironblood didn't use an axe because he needed it. He used it to be kind. And right now he wasn't being kind.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: December 24, 2022, 04:49:07 pm »

The first 4 settings on the Video tab control the scale, either the 1st 3 together or the 4th one alone when the first is set to No. I find setting the height to the minimum and adjusting the width works best.
It works much better for me, though it adjust everything including the interface which cause some minor issue for me https://ibb.co/d5TPqTV I can live with it for now

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: December 27, 2022, 11:32:53 am »

The music is awesome. Especially, but not limited to the new composition of the old tune.

Also, I forgot how difficult it is to find a decent embark site (I am probably too picky)

Genning my 5th new world now, to find a site that has sand, soil, clay, no heavy aquifer, iron and flux.
I did find a few of such sites on the previous 4 worlds, but they all lacked access to 1 or more of the other races.
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: December 27, 2022, 11:04:35 pm »

The music is awesome. Especially, but not limited to the new composition of the old tune.

Also, I forgot how difficult it is to find a decent embark site (I am probably too picky)

Genning my 5th new world now, to find a site that has sand, soil, clay, no heavy aquifer, iron and flux.
I did find a few of such sites on the previous 4 worlds, but they all lacked access to 1 or more of the other races.
Try a medium region, with minerals set to 100 (which I think is default now). Should get one pretty easily. So long as you don't mind working through a light aquifer.

Argembarger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Not quite yet
« Reply #508 on: December 30, 2022, 08:47:10 pm »

I'm so excited about how many of the people in my life (who 'til now have only ever listened to me rant and rave about DF) have ventured to pick up and try the game completely on their own without any prompting or prodding from me, now that it's been "released". (It's also very fitting that this release approximately coincided with the ~50% development point.)

Finally picked it up myself. I'm so excited for this new era. I ran through the quick start tutorial, and it's a great refresher course for an old-ish classic player like me who hasn't been able to play for several years now.

Getting used to the new interface has been pretty easy. Love the sounds and music, the remake of the main theme is very goosebumps-inducing. All around having a great time! I've learned not to try to resize the window once things get going... heh... it's actually comforting that there are still crash bugs and things lurking around.

Many huge congratulations to the Adams Bros. and the Premium Team!

EDIT: also huge congrats to Putnam, what a legendary opportunity!

P.S. the song "Strike the Earth!" on the new OST can bring me to tears and I don't fully understand the exact mechanism behind this phenomenon, but very well done  :'( 8)
« Last Edit: January 20, 2023, 03:18:53 pm by Argembarger »
Quote from: penguinofhonor
Quote from: miauw62
This guy needs to write a biography about Columbus. I would totally buy it.
I can see it now.

trying to make a different's: the life of Columbus

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: January 05, 2023, 04:30:42 pm »

Patch notes v50.05 (Jan 5, 2023)

Putnam's Day 3 and already making the dwarves behave better!

Thanks for all your patience over the holidays! We're back and after only a few days, Putnam has already been on fire, fixing:

Major

Fixed saved corruption caused by certain armies bringing uninitialized protocreatures instead of monsters

Other fixes/tweaks

Sped up line-of-sight code

Bees no longer included in food count

We're pretty sure the army corruption was causing the majority of crashes people were experiencing, so this should hopefully help a lot of you. It was in turn causing quite a bit of stress and chaos on our end. Now, with this big slice of chaos behind us, Tarn & Putnam can turn their eyes to other improvements and fixes for the coming weeks.

Meanwhile, we'll be streaming on Twitch next week, on January 9th and 14th as the start of our new event schedule (Mondays 8-10pm Eastern, and Saturdays 5-9pm Eastern). Our streamer will be SalfordSal, sharing her expertise with yet more people through the Kitfox channel. Join us and chat with fellow artisans!

Best,

Tanya from Kitfox

FPS death just got postponed.
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 38