Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 46

Author Topic: Demon Team - Chiaroscuro Arms Race: Strategy Phase 10  (Read 39790 times)

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Demon Team - Chiaroscuro Arms Race: Design Phase 7
« Reply #495 on: May 09, 2020, 11:59:48 am »

That and it is nearing winter anyway, maybe the river will freeze over?
Consider that the River Crossings is a relatively flat area between a jungle and a desert. While the temperature may drop below freezing in the middle of winter, the rivers are astronomically unlikely to freeze over.
Long Live United Forenia!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: May 09, 2020, 12:18:58 pm »

Nobody said a champion was a bad thing (heroes are a different thing entirely in this game and I imagine some of the persons of interest mentioned in a couple combat reports are going to become bigger NPC players at some point).

At the beginning of this turn you were arguing about our influence in the towers. What is a Consort+ going to do there? She’s not a potion or spell, she’s not a combat unit so she’s not assassinating. She also has ethereal spawn that are functionally just Consort Ghosts, adding complexity for no real reason. Being ethereal isn’t fluff.

How do her spawn use our equipment if they’re not material beings? Why does the proposal seem to imply that the spawn can be used in regions that she is not present in?

To be quite blunt the twisted queen doesn’t seem to be worth the effort. She’s not actually bringing anything new to the table. She’s a very easy revision of our Consorts with the downside of being a single unit that can produce weaker versions of itself (which would just be consorts but less effective).

I highly doubt a ghostwoman is going to be able to ply influence as well as flesh and blood that people can bone/get boned by.

Before tric tries to bring it up, Nuke said in discord that a weak champion will have a greater local effect than a weak design. But he also said he was not going to comment on the potential efficacy of arianna herself. I firmly believe that Arianna is a weak proposal at its foundation that tries to do too much of nothing to actually advance us. Having spawn is going to add unnecessary difficulty, making it even less likely that we’ll see a result that has anything but a minimal impact.

I’d really like to see us go with frag alongside the blooddrinkers blades. The combination has a good chance to give us the edge we need in combat to give us the breathing room to actually dedicate a design to a champion. It’s also the only proposal in the votebox right now that could keep our grasp on the towers from slipping away, as the battle report clearly warned us of.

And again, before tric says it, while we could also do a spell for that, a spell only covers one facet of what frag should end up doing - that is, solidifying our position with the nerds, improving our casting ability (which should also affect our uruks), and providing another source of income.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: May 09, 2020, 12:30:38 pm »

I doubt Frag is going to be common, and more likely to be used by our casters than our footsoliders.

As for the spell, a spell that is useful in battle, also gives us a firmer grasp in the towers. And the blue-glowing eyes might be something they wouldn't want, since it is freaking obvious. Maybe if it made the blood blue rather than the eyes.

Frag would be best with a powerful spell to go with it. Frag does not help our magical ability enough to be worth it otherwise. Magic Missile has been stated that simply adding more to it's power will only go so far. We kinda need a combat spell worth something.

Rockeater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: May 09, 2020, 12:37:24 pm »

Quote from: Magocbox
The Redband Pirates Syndicate: ()
Frag: (1) MoP
Blood-drinker Blades: (5) Kashyyk, MoP, TricMagic, Happerry, Rockeater
Criminal Syndicates: (3) Kashyyk, Happerry, Rockeater
Arianna Twist Queen (3) Flazeo255, Detoxicated, TricMagic
Magoc Faith (1) Flazeo255
Seed of Eden: ()
Demonic Wings: (1): Detoxicated
Damnit people, this is why I said to keep the truce. Because now everyone's ganging up on the cats.
Also, don't forget to contact your local Eldritch Being(s), so that they can help with our mission to destroy the universe.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: May 09, 2020, 12:38:09 pm »

The Redband Pirates Syndicate: ()
Frag: (1) MoP
Blood-drinker Blades: (5) Kashyyk, MoP, TricMagic, Happerry, Rockeater
Criminal Syndicates: (4) Kashyyk, Happerry, Rockeater, TricMagic
Arianna Twist Queen (2) Flazeo255, Detoxicated
Seed of Eden: ()

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #500 on: May 09, 2020, 12:52:13 pm »

I doubt Frag is going to be common, and more likely to be used by our casters than our footsoliders.

And? It's meant to be more for our casters. If it's not common then that just means it sells for more.

As for the spell, a spell that is useful in battle, also gives us a firmer grasp in the towers. And the blue-glowing eyes might be something they wouldn't want, since it is freaking obvious. Maybe if it made the blood blue rather than the eyes.

Cool, but as I said before, a spell only does one of the things that frag could do. I feel like you didn't actually read my last post. I can remove the glowing eyes if people prefer that, since it's just there as a reference to Dune.

Frag would be best with a powerful spell to go with it. Frag does not help our magical ability enough to be worth it otherwise. Magic Missile has been stated that simply adding more to it's power will only go so far. We kinda need a combat spell worth something.

If we make frag and it does well enough now then any spell we add in the future is going to see itself affected by it. It's not just a design for our magical ability. Again, did you even read my last post? Adding power to magic missile has diminishing returns. We haven't hit that point yet. It'll still boost the spell that the entire army uses.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: May 09, 2020, 01:07:06 pm »

Adding power to magic missile has diminishing returns. We haven't hit that point yet.
Well, no, you have. As in, Warcasters have the potential to deal more damage than they do currently, as Magic Missile is inefficient. Their missiles are twice as strong as an Acolyte's, but that doesn't mean their magical potential is only double that of an Acolyte.

Also,
Cool, but as I said before, a spell only does one of the things that frag could do. I feel like you didn't actually read my last post. [...]
Tric was pointing out that it does two of the things Frag could do; improve magic damage output and boost your position in the towers. I know it's hard, but try to give Tric the benefit of the doubt, yeah? If only because accusing someone of not reading your post when you haven't read theirs properly makes you look bad.
Long Live United Forenia!

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: May 09, 2020, 01:16:04 pm »

Not to be a total ass to the GM, just clarifying, but I see improving casting ability and expanding available spells as different - a new spell probably wont be empowering our other spells. That's what I was referring to.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: May 09, 2020, 01:34:22 pm »

How will EA improve? What is DDD currently used for?

We don't have spells right this moment, and Magic Missile is peaking. I'm all for it next turn, if we spend a revision to make Magic Missile more piercing, compact and efficient. It will pierce our foes and the barriers more easily, even if it doesn't explode like the current does. This gives us a spell to show off, and helps deal with their stall tactics.

Frag is good, but without a proper spell to go with it, it simply doesn't do well enough compared to the other options. Blood-drinking Blades gives us a slaughter-healing effect to help keep us healthy, and Syndicates gives us an overall base for which to act in cities. Next turn, if we revise said magic missile, we will have a decent smuggling network, a spell that benefits, and still have the bonus. It won't expire if we don't use it after all.

Frag is kinda on it's own. Promises are just that, promises. If it can't give enough of an advantage, we'd be better off with something that will. And the current frontrunner designs are 1 for battle to keep us healthy, and 1 for INF to keep us going and help operations. May be mostly revision-tier stuff, but this is Design Phase. 4 tactics won't fly for a revision, and hopefully being a design will bring it together.

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: May 09, 2020, 01:59:29 pm »

Right, so you want to know how something is going to empower an unexpected boon. Even if by the nature of it being a boon it isn't already capped out, let me highlight a part of the Frag proposal:

"increase in both magical potency and control."

EA has a casting time. That could be reduced by frag. Uptime is affected by object mass and number of objects summoned, and frag could extend that uptime further. It could be the difference between a two minute dagger and a two minute longsword.

DDD has a long casting time (and can be held at the cusp of casting for a limited time) and can only take two passengers. Again, casting time could see reduction, the holding time could be extended, and the number of passengers could see a boost of one or two, where that could matter.

Syndicate gives us a wide net to cast that is going to be smacked by the nerf bat on account of it being unfocused. We should make focused efforts into specific tactics if we want them to be an effective use of our action economy. Say we get four tactics. Those four tactics are gonna be less effective than if we made them separately. So now they need a revision to get them all up to snuff. That's one design and four revisions. If we do the tactics standalone we can have them paired with the units or infrastructure meant to support it - pirates with smugglers, thugs with muggers, assassins and assassination, etc. That gives us more than just the tactic for an action less. Admittedly they'd all be design actions, but they'd be vastly better for it. It's the difference between short term benefits and long term boons. It also doesn't tie four tactics to a single roll, when even a very high roll won't be likely to give any tactic the strength of a standalone.

TricMagic

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: May 09, 2020, 02:35:11 pm »

First part. Magic Missile does not require control all that much, and none of our spells really stress control in the first place, so that is almost a non-factor at this point. Not in the future, but certainly not right now, yeah? Our combat spell is just blasting someone with raw magic.

I'll point out I have advocated for Assassinate quite a few times by now. Singular effective tactics don't seem to be very popular.

Why do you think we would spend more on the Syndicate exactly?

- Protection rackets, providing a form of income: Do you want the club, or do you want the protection. EA kinda makes stopping this a bit more difficult, and I'm guessing that simply cause it's not specified that some of our acolytes will be in this. Just general thuggery and protection from other groups.
- Informants, who can track down angelic operations: Caw-caw. Ravens, plus whatever informants the syndicate has. We are in fact taking over and adding their information to ours.
- Enforcers, who can then remove those operations: Boom goes the Bootleggers, and so go the flames. Something we already do when possible, though not well given we have no direct intervention tactic yet. EA also helps in places here, and DDD at times.
- Smugglers, to ensure people and products can get in and out of the city safely: Here is your order of BB, and please sign-up for the first order of our next product. We don't have anything specific, but this helps out at times. Right now, it's BB, but Frag next turn.

Note that it may be wide-ranging, but we already have protectors and magic suited to both defense and offense. And are already bringing in BB and CoD. It may not be as effective as a single tactic, but it is a design that builds the base for further tactics. New ones will work with this, should we choose to make them. And at least it gives a intervention tactic. We don't have any at the moment, only defense.

flazeo25

• Bay Watcher
  • Nightmare Eater
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: May 09, 2020, 04:18:03 pm »

As musch as Arianna herself would be useful in 1 area alone, its her secondary part that be useful bringing her spawn to field to useful to disrupt the like causing panic in minotaurs, invigorating our men since they can effect all emotions. Their role is demoralize our enemy while keeping our morale up. I don't think a criminal organization going to do that with design and we can easily make one doing a revision. Note we won't really get there if we got things like frags or criminals.

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: May 10, 2020, 05:46:36 am »

Mutated Elk Transport
By brewing together the finest Materials we have managed to mutate Elks to become even bigger and More powerful while also becoming easily trained to be ridden or Used to pull Wagons.

These Beasts of burden are given Wagons and proper pulleys so that they can easen Our war logistics efforts. By providing More supply to the Frontline we should be able to further Our advances

Man of Paper

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: May 10, 2020, 08:48:45 am »

Blood-drinker Blades: (4) Kashyyk, TricMagic, Happerry, Rockeater
Criminal Syndicates: (4) Kashyyk, Happerry, Rockeater, TricMagic
Arianna Twist Queen (2) Flazeo255, Detoxicated

Detoxicated

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist McCarpenter
    • View Profile
« Reply #509 on: May 10, 2020, 09:55:29 am »

You Guys do realize that the logistics have been mentioned alot in the war Report and that IT IS quite likely that the enemy is working in IT. If we on the other hand Work on IT First WE can expect quite the boon Out of IT.
Pages: 1 ... 32 33 [34] 35 36 ... 46