Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402624 times)

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers wanted!)
« Reply #135 on: March 18, 2020, 08:45:30 am »

Hmm. I fought an undead rabbit for ages, even without the rolling up thing. But that might be a seperate issue.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 18, 2020, 08:55:38 am »

I added a note with my findings and steps to reproduce in the arena. Hopefully it'll get some more attention.

Hmm. I fought an undead rabbit for ages, even without the rolling up thing. But that might be a seperate issue.
Recently? I know that used to be an issue, but I haven't seen it happen for a while. It may have been fixed.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 18, 2020, 09:01:53 am »

In 47.04. I might open an additional related report after some arena resting.

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: March 18, 2020, 09:46:07 am »

I added a note with my findings and steps to reproduce in the arena. Hopefully it'll get some more attention.
Thanks!

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 18, 2020, 09:49:03 am »

Also figured out how to reproduce the undead echidnas attacking while curled up and added it as a new issue.
                        - Random human lord

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 19, 2020, 12:50:59 pm »

By the way, the original (first) echidna corpse to attack our fortress (and is to blame for the invasion of undead) is named "Ibeshlaz Thir" (Roastedscaled the Harmonious). I would recommend caution before the end of each season, but that goes without saying.

Edit: As for how Bim died...
Spoiler: Bim's Fate (click to show/hide)

Huh. . we'll just pretend my in-game character never discovered the true cause. She died by his own hand, practically!

Oddly enough, in my other community fortress I just accidentally smashed our recently-declared King in a similar fashion. Completely by accident and only noticing it long after the fact. I think I have a problem lol

HIT US WITH THAT UPDATE

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 20, 2020, 05:47:51 pm »

===+ Journal of the Undying Overseer – Summer 104 +===

15th Malachite

I checked the entrance and found no trace of our persistent monotreme adversary. Only the forlorn ghostly visage of Olon remained as evidence of what had transpired. We have rid ourselves of the most dire threat our fortress has faced and avenged a great many senseless deaths, but at a grievous cost. I will make sure that when we carve out a memorial for this tragedy, she is given a place of honour.

Olon and I shared a great deal in common beyond our ghoulish resurrection. We both fought against the undead hordes. We both met our first deaths at the relentless claws of Roastedscaled. Most intriguing of all, we were both worshippers of Lorsïth Weevilmessiah, the Regal God of thralldom. Perhaps this undead existence was always intended to be our fate.

Now that things have quieted down, I think I should check in with the new migrants. They were shocked by my appearance at first but seem willing to accept my authority after I brought down four beak dogs, including the two that murdered their colleagues. There are seven of them, bringing our total population to nine.

Spoiler: Ast Gildduty (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ïteb Squeezedclasp (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Thîkut Lensknife (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Lokum Laborwalled (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Sigun Cheerfultower (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Moldath Reignedaxes (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Dîshmab Wheelrings (click to show/hide)

21st Malachite

The surviving beak dog was wandering around the entrance. Moldath made quick work of it now that he’s equipped with some armour and a proper sword.

In a similar spirit, I picked up some spare clothing. There’s no real purpose to it, but some of the new migrants seemed put off by my nakedness.

Our main goal for the time being is to secure our position. This includes removing corpses that could be raised by a necromancer, especially any echidnas, and resetting our trap hall. After that we can place our focus on memorializing the dead and preparing for the autumn caravans. No doubt the homeland will be eager to hear the tale of our miraculous survival.

Salmeuk has expressed interest in holding onto some of the zombie echidnas for research and potential defensive applications. I’m reluctant to grant his request given the damage a single one of those monsters is capable of, but as long as they stay caged it should be safe enough.

Some cheerful news, Thikut is up and walking again. She has nerve damage in her arm, but her other injuries are healing quickly thanks to Salmeuk’s doctoring.

20th Galena

Perhaps I was too quick to judge Iteb. He has taken to his role as a miner quite well and rarely complains. Right now, he’s even eating in the hospital amid the numerous skeletons with seemingly little care.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Lokum, on the other hand, is constantly horrified by the bodies laying around. I’ll have to take him off of corpse hauling duty and keep an eye on him. The little creep even snuck into Salmeuk’s room while he was sleeping to complain.

1st Limestone

Autumn has come, and our work continues. Dwarf corpses are gradually being brought down to stockpiles and animal bodies are being processed for bone.

Lokum’s mood has unfortunately worsened, and he’s slipped into depression.

For now, we must look forward to the dwarven caravans and hope for good news from the rest of our nation.
                        - Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 20, 2020, 10:56:10 pm »

Oof. That's a lotta bodies. Thanks for the info on the new blood. I worry Lokum will be trouble as time goes on...

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 21, 2020, 09:04:37 pm »

===+ Journal of the Undying Overseer – Autumn 104 +===

1st Limestone

I’ve just taken a count of all the dead dwarves in the fortress so I can begin designing our memorial hall. There are 49 in total, to say nothing of our non-dwarven visitors who also succumbed to the zombie hordes. Mass-producing all the coffins and slabs we need will take quite some time, but it’s important work. It’s often said that a fortress’ worth can best be judged by how they treat their dead.

As for Lokum, there’s little I can think to do aside from sequestering him in the lower fortress away from any bodies. Alone with Salmeuk, I had forgotten how easily some of the living can be overcome by their own emotions. Even the sight of the aged troglodyte skeletons sitting in our refuse pile was enough to send him into fits of panic.

Ast got it into his head to clean a specific wall deep within our ludicrously large labyrinth. Given that there are about a thousand more important things to do and I don’t want him starving to death before he can make it back, I’m restricting access to it for the time being.

Wait, Thikut’s yelling about something on the surface…

Again? So soon? Will we ever be free from this unrelenting storm of undead? Everyone underground, now!

2nd Limestone

The gate is shut, and all of our dwarves are safe. All the living dwarves that is.

Very well. If this is to be my final end, then I shall rise to meet it. Begone, servant of evil! I will defend this place until my bones crumble to dust!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sorry for the short update and cliff-hanger, but I’m feeling a bit emotionally compromised myself right now. We’ll find out how this ends tomorrow.

But I think we all know what happens next. In life, Enthep was a skilled veteran of numerous battles at Cactushexes. Even if Moldath and Ast could arrive in time to help, sending them in would almost certainly be a death sentence.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2020, 05:58:35 pm by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 22, 2020, 05:57:52 pm »

---+ Journal of Acting Overseer Moldath Ikudlibash – Autumn 104 +---

Alright, the alarm was sounded, better do a headcount. Six, seven, eight… Where’s the bloody overseer!? Damn ghoul was always so sluggish from sobriety. Guess I’m in charge for now.

Oh wait, here he comes now. Took long enough, ya ugly bastard! I was afraid I’d have to be the one stuck babysitting these morons!

3rd Limestone

Broken arm… torn knee… severed spinal cord… I’d say I’ve earned my title. I barely managed to get away from that human, but it seems Weevilmessiah has not yet seen fit to end my service.

That wasn’t just dumb luck, something drew her and the rest of the horde away. But what could be so fearsome as to distract an entire undead army?

Well, whatever it is, we can’t rely on it to occupy them forever. Thikut counted 35 undead soldiers, and I can only guess how many animals that necromancer raised. That’s at least two full cycles of our trap hall. Salmeuk is just finishing up the zombie crusher now, but I doubt we’ll be able to clear the surface in time for the caravan. Looks like another year without trade.

10th Limestone

The sounds of fighting continue to echo down from above. If the army doesn’t take the bait and walk into our traps, we may be trapped down here for a long time. Several undead animals stumbled into the halls and almost overwhelmed them, but they were caged, and the halls secured once more.

Salmeuk is insisting on making me rest until my arm heals. I’ve told him that it’s not necessary, but he won’t take no for an answer.

Infuriating issues with stockpile orders abound, but I believe I’ve sorted them out. Productivity is still low but improving, and I convinced Salmeuk to allow me to work after he gave me a splint for my arm.

17th Limestone

Iteb has started carving out the grand memorial hall. A good thing too, as the corpse stockpile is nearly full. Lokum’s been doing a bit better, but I don’t expect him to get back to normal until all the bodies are properly interred.

We’ve also begun tearing down the log walls around our stairwell to replace them with stone. With no way to get more, we need to ration every bit of wood we can.

22nd Limestone

Thikut has contracted the vile swamp fever thanks to some goo that was washed down by the temporarily opened aquifer. She’s also been trying to reload our cage traps, only to realize that we still have no empty cages. Link up the zombie crusher first and then you’ll get your damn cages!

3rd Sandstone

Moldath’s on his way to begin tossing zombies into the disposal chamber. This could be dangerous, but he should be able to deal with an escaped zombie, provided it isn’t an echidna.

6th Sandstone

The first load’s in without issue. Now then, let’s finally put this contraption to work.

That was satisfying. Salmeuk won’t be happy about the echidnas, but we need the cages, and no one was willing to see what would happen if they were all packed into a single cage. He can have his pick of whatever’s locked in the forbidden hallway once this is over.

24th Sandstone

Lokum is becoming a serious concern. Right now, he’s going on a tantrum. He destroyed our plump helmet field and harassed one of our roosters. If he keeps this up, I’ll have no choice but to enact disciplinary measures.

4th Timber

The trap hall is open once again, but the zombies are certainly taking their time getting over to it. Setting aside the group still battling in the distance, I can hear two distinct clumps slowly shuffling their way closer. Hopefully if we capture enough, the rest will retreat. And oh, what’s this?

I think I’ll hold onto you. We could use someone to throw at the beasts down in the caverns.

1st Moonstone

The season ends the way many do in Smallhands, with us inching toward an elusive vision of a better future.

The zombie soldiers have been frustratingly obstinate in their refusal to enter the trap hall. They mill about the surface, cutting us off from the outside world. Even sending Moldath to the entrance was not enough to goad them in.

In more hopeful news, Lokum has shown marked improvement since his outburst. He is still on edge, but not nearly so haggard as he was a few months ago.

Finally, our memorial hall has been completely carved out and is ready to put our poor lost souls to rest. It has been designated as a temple to Lish, “The Wicked”, goddess of peace, death and murder, and the one who first brought this plague of undeath to the world. May she have mercy upon this gods-forsaken fortress.

The northern wall is to be reserved for the dead founding dwarves and former overseers. But the first memorial to be completed is dedicated to Olon. An appropriately named silver statue depicts her eternal struggle against Roastedscaled. It is said she still grapples with the beast in the afterlife, subduing it so that its demonic spirit may never possess a body again.

- Random human lord

mko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 22, 2020, 06:47:23 pm »

Great report, especially the final image!

Is it a manually requested pattern (not sure is it possible for statues) or is it a happy accident? Both would be awesome, but I want which version of awesomeness we got here :)

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 22, 2020, 07:01:46 pm »

It's a custom design. I don't think it's possible for a random statue to depict more than one interaction going on.
                        - Random human lord

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 22, 2020, 07:46:49 pm »

That was satisfying. Salmeuk won’t be happy about the echidnas, but we need the cages, and no one was willing to see what would happen if they were all packed into a single cage. He can have his pick of whatever’s locked in the forbidden hallway once this is over.

So be it. Something tells me there isn't all that much time for scientific diversions, in any case.

Wonderful reports! Cleaning up bodies n bits can be such a arduous task so you have my sympathy. That last image of the statue is perfect lol, it looks like Hercules killing Sonic the Hedgehog.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: March 22, 2020, 08:24:23 pm »

Things have certainly been interesting. We've got a problem though. My FPS has completely tanked, down to 10 right now. I have a pretty decent laptop so it wouldn't normally get that low unless we had 20x as many dwarves and a bigger embark.

My prime suspect is the echidna. All those zombies beating on it must trigger tons of combat calculations. And unfortunately, I don't see a way of dealing with it short of editing the echidna raws.

I can deal with it for the remaining three months but it would really suck if the next person had to play in slow motion until the siege leaves on its own.
                        - Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: March 22, 2020, 08:26:56 pm »

Amazing. Can't wait until our feet our under us enough that we can strike back rather than react.

Shonai mentioned the same in a different thread. The echidna combat will tank FPS... I think this is a situation where loading DFHack and just deleting the bugger would be an acceptable cheat. It's up to you and mko, as the ones who are playing.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 ... 109