Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 411637 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - a small fort for small computers (small overseers welcome)
« Reply #600 on: September 16, 2020, 09:12:27 am »

Honestly, tried to play today and spent about 45 minutes trying to figure out what everything is and what I need to seal off to ensure the fort is closed. It was mentally taxing, but necessary work. Gonna try and actually unpause soon and post an update.

Ah yes, the "holy shit wtf is going on who put all this sh*t here??" phase of succession games. I believe we entered this phase a few turns ago. The game becomes less and less about megaprojects and more about maintenance and stockpile management. And surviving the lag. Good Luck!

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: September 17, 2020, 12:32:07 am »

Smallhands: Year 164.

Spring

=Journal of Reg Pickcrab=
(definitely not 12000 bees in a trench coat)

We I arrived in Smallhands in Malachite of last year. We I have managed to pass as a dwarf for the duration. Our costume appears to bee effective in convincing dwarves that we are also a single dwarf. It has been so effective that I have been elected Overseer. I do not know what this role entails, but I was promised by the tavern drone that it is of great power and importance.

As the new queen of this hive fort we will see it prosper and produce a lot of honey crafts.

The other drones have reported that the hive is secure from bears undead. However, the part of the fortress which looks like a large horned beetle is climbable. It is also open to flying invaders, such as hornets.

A dwarf has told me it is supposed to be a type of cup.

I asked a dwarf to update me on the honey production. They led me to this pile of refuse that they called "crafts" and said, "Probably in there, somewhere" then they shrugged and walked away, dripping sweat. Is the sweatiness of these dwarves a sign of respect?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No longer trusting the opinions of the fort drones dwarves, we decided to check rooms out ourselves. It seems that a collection of food is near the lowest level of the caverns. Curious why the dwarves would want to keep these emergency supplies so far from the rest. I believe we should clean this up and prepare it for winter.

The hive seems to be full of parasites - many of which rub themselves against the doors in a way that I find very displeasing. I walked up to a dwarf and said, "Hello, I feel sweaty. What are these parasites?"
She said, "Ugly blighters, I know, but they make a good meal and they're good watch dogs if you put 'em in the right place."
"Why haven't you gathered in a group around them and vibrated your bodies to kill them?"

"Oh, we've been slaughtering 'em, but these are just newborns! Not much meat on 'em yet. Don't you worry, I'll cook them when they're ready!" She then walked down the hall and up the stairs in a move we interpreted as an invitation.

"Why are these dogs wet?"
"Dunno, really. Sort of just like it that way, I guess."

We can hear the rumble of fluids passing through the walls. I can also hear the distant screams of a flaming skinless alligator. There are many caged creatures and many creatures who are not caged but built into the walls themselves. This is pleasing to us, as the hive is secure.

The local bee population is on an all-time low. In fact, several worker drones are carrying empty hives back to the refuse piles of the hive. This is unacceptable for a harmonious hive.

Several of the dwarves seem sweaty, which is good, if I understand it correctly. They also seem stressed and unsatisfied, though. By The Lost, most of them have had their wings fall off. We'll seek to remedy this right away. I will also look for more flowers and plants to ensure a greater health for the hive. For now, there is a lot of cleaning up to do.

StrikaAmaru

• Bay Watcher
  • [GMT+2][forum time +8]
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: September 17, 2020, 12:59:53 am »

By The Lost, most of them have had their wings fall off. We'll seek to remedy this right away.
... Most of them? What do you mean, 'most of them'?

I'm curious how a lack of wings in dwarves can be remedied. My first thought involves a cloak dyed black with sliver barb, and repeated statements of "I am Batman".

On a completely unrelated note, I have learned that dwarves cannot train beak dogs for war (or hunting, but who cares about that). I deem this to be bullshit, because clearly goblins have no difficulty. Which leads me to ask why do we have beak dogs in this fort - were they set up for food only, or was there any intention of them becoming war beasts? And if yes to the latter, would you all agree to add the relevant tokens to beak dogs? Namely, [TRAINABLE], [TRAINABLE_HUNTING], and [TRAINABLE_WAR], according to the wiki.
Needs caffeine to get through the working day.
[Sigtext. Contains links to mods, LPs and an index of all the things I wrote on this forum. Does not contain a viable sig. http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=49316.msg6860463#msg6860463]

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: September 17, 2020, 03:01:51 am »

Even if not trained, a pit trap to force invaders to fight them is viable, but so would just dropping invaders into magma. They're good livestock, and don't reproduce unless you want them to (eggs). I'm going to kill off just about every animal in the fort. I'll keep the giant blackbirds and a couple beakdogs, but yeah, we have nearly double our population in animals and it's time for them to go.

Most of our trainable animals aren't useful against undead anyway - dogs especially do nothing against a zombie.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: September 17, 2020, 03:40:50 am »

Seems like last time I heard of a fort using dogs against the undead it make the situation worse.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: September 17, 2020, 03:51:35 am »

I was going to butcher all the beak dogs for soap, but puppies dont have any fat.
They'll start becoming adults this year, which means chopping block time
the giant red wing blackbirds were bred for war by a previous overseer. I did nothing with them.

food being way down below? that was something I didnt manage to finish reallocating.The room with the butchers shop and animals has a load of foodstuffs in airlocks, the rest of it is next ot the dining hall. I meant to put some inside the towering tankard, but alas it never got cimpleted in my turn.

I'm curious why we got bees in charge rather than phonso who was still alive...hmm...guess he was alergic to bees.
The honey bees up at the surface have been ready to split for a while, constantly stinging training dwarves.

this will be entertaining regardless
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: September 17, 2020, 04:49:13 am »

That, and the screenshot, was referring to a square room filled with hundreds of skeletons. Why we have this and what it is, I have no idea.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: September 17, 2020, 04:57:23 am »

There's two actually, one opposite the butchers and animals is used for bone crafts and crossbows

the other is somewhere in the caverns access and idk either

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: September 17, 2020, 01:55:24 pm »

The beak dogs are great because even the babies provide a decent amount of meat and bones. It's just a shame that they can't be trained. That would really beef up any raiding parties we send out.

I believe the skeletons are leftover from when StrikaAmaru sealed off the third cavern level. The legacy of a forgotten beast massacre. Cleaning them up hasn't been a priority for anyone else. They've just been sitting down there ever since, ready to traumatize any wandering dwarf.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: September 17, 2020, 07:00:26 pm »

Ah, that makes sense.

I was looking for areas of lots of items which might benefit from destruction via DFHack. Our caverns are...rife.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: September 18, 2020, 12:21:39 am »

Smallhands: Year 164

Spring

=Journal of Reg Pickcrab=
(definitely not 12000 bees in a trench coat)

We asked the dwarves of Smallhands about solutions for the parasites which roamed its combs. I was introduced to the concept of "Animal Daycare", a safe place in which to place animals so they do not rub against the doors in the way I don't like.

I began construction of an Animal Daycare right away. For efficiency, I placed it across the hall from the nest rooms of the large birds who we don't like.

We moved to the tavern, which seems to be the center of hive activity. I saw a dwarf dragging a skeleton behind it, presumably to consume. I introduced myself and appeared as sweaty as possible. He returned in kind, but did not make eye contact, as dwarves usually do. This dwarf seems very efficient.

Another lawful dwarf stood in the library, picking up a book, putting it down, then staring into the distance briefly before doing it over again.

It appears the prison was disabled for some reason. Even worse, our only criminal was sleeping in a bed. Such an injustice could not stand. We reassured Kingzultan that the prison existed, and so they dragged Vutok to a cage. Justice is served.

The Animal Daycare is coming along nicely. Many animals have been put inside, for their safety and comfort.

The removal of awful door rubbing parasites has made Olin very excited.

Olin rushed around the garbage heaps in the hive looking for materials. She must be making something great because she went to almost every single stockpile in the hive. We wonder what she will produce.

We inspected the military, which seems to be doing as well as can be expected. I let the troops relax for a while, though it seems they don't feel anything - emotionally or physically. This is exactly what you want in a soldier.

Olin wiped sweat from her face and revealed an earring. We can not begin to interpret the artistic nuance of such a thing. However, the name is...menacing.

-=-=-=-=-

OOC:
It's two months in and the framerate is doing a bit better - it feels worse than it is because of the FEVER everyone is suffering from. Most of the dwarves here are emotionally dead inside, which is good and bad. Most are immune to seeing skeletons, but also aren't getting good thoughts from other stuff. I'm...not sure if this will be a problem. No tantrums or anything so far, though, so that's good.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: September 18, 2020, 03:33:43 am »

Olin should be one of the very few dwarves that are not feverish, he must be working hard in order to produce so much stuff on one tiny earring
I don't like the name though, that better not be foreshadowing anything!

and I shut down the tavern in anticipation of moving it up to the top of the tower as part of the stockpile rewrite. The food is now in the tavern with the old food store now the mueseum. I advise you check the doors on that floor too since I found while testing last night half of the doors on that floor are forbidden or pet blocked

I'm liking this so far!

applet

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: September 18, 2020, 03:35:30 am »

I was looking for areas of lots of items which might benefit from destruction via DFHack. Our caverns are...rife.

autodump into an atomsmasher - it's what I do in Ledpaddled.
For me, the framerate gain is usually not that big though.

Afaik reduction in pathing possibilities (e.g. sealing old mines) and reducing the amount of pathing entities (putting animals in cages, sending out dwarf squads) has the most impact in my experience.

But I guess you already know all of this :)
Ledpaddled
Meanwhile in the background, some migrant brought a cat! The first cat in Whisperwhip for a few years now, actually. The local population accidentally died of exploding over the years.

After 3 days, the new cat explodes.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: September 18, 2020, 04:07:18 am »

I've gone through and forbidden a  few things (inaccessible rocks in the aquifers, large swathes of the caverns) which should provide a tiny boost as the game won't calculate pathing for those items. I think the skeleton room by the caverns will just be sealed off and never spoken of again. Potentially, dropping a necromancer in there could be a way to finally defeat Bugui.

Does anyone have Bugui's kill count at this point? Should be...thousands.

Thanks for the food heads up - it's only been two months in-game, so I wouldn't notice if anyone was hungry yet. I know that people are drinking because Vutok spammed cancelled drink messages while being arrested.

I noticed a big improvement once the animals were culled. I think there was a small group stuck in the "try to go through a forbidden door" loop, so it was definitely unnecessary to reduce our animal population by so much, but hey, that's DF babyyy.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: September 19, 2020, 06:31:00 am »

I got the call to work, lads. I'll update tomorrow and then we'll see how much free time I have for a bit. Shouldn't be too bad of a wait, though.
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 109