Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 109

Author Topic: Smallhands - nearly 40 years and still tiny!  (Read 402669 times)

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Smallhands - it's like a tiny home but filled with ghouls
« Reply #795 on: November 06, 2020, 09:57:15 pm »

Can we get a 'Graveyard Review' at some point? Maybe a little paragraph on what it's best features are, vs. the cost of internment, and ease of access for surviving family members?

Journal of Salmeuk, Year 168

Recon has created a new burial hall to honor the most, um, "honoured"of dwarves. He honoured himself, as well as me and Nogood, with internment there, now or in the future. Everyone else is, well, no good.

Fine with me! A sweet tomb to attract those afterlife ladydwarves. However Recon's list of restrictions for entry seem awfully rigid. Surely more deserve to be honored, than us three blokes? What exactly is 'good standing', and who gets to decide it? What if I have no legs??

The other dwarves will likely rise up and say something. We'll see how this plays out. Alright, enough written today - I'm off to get drunk.

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
  • Developing a race, explosive booze and death traps
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: November 07, 2020, 07:12:42 am »

Recon has created a new burial hall to honor the most, um, "honoured"of dwarves. He honoured himself, as well as me and Nogood, with internment there, now or in the future. Everyone else is, well, no good.

Fine with me! A sweet tomb to attract those afterlife ladydwarves. However Recon's list of restrictions for entry seem awfully rigid. Surely more deserve to be honored, than us three blokes? What exactly is 'good standing', and who gets to decide it? What if I have no legs??

The other dwarves will likely rise up and say something. We'll see how this plays out. Alright, enough written today - I'm off to get drunk.

Recon downed another of the dwarven ales. There were hushed murmurings and discontent amongst her patrons that evening. Why though? While she wont deny she can be a little overzealous at times, it feels lately that whenever she tries to do something befitting all dwarves it gets ignored. It genuinely upset her seeing so many engravings of dwarves being struck down by animals, or dwarves laughing at captains whose squads were disbanded.
Salmeuk was the next one up to the bar, one of the few legends of Smallhands, ordering a Fig wine, snapping her out of her thoughts for a moment. He gave her a concerned look as he downed his first pint.

"I guess it is written over my face isn't it? No, things are not ok Sal. I...I'm sorry for shouting at you about that engraving. It was a little uncalled for, especially for a duke that has never made a mandate beyond room requirements. But that graveyard? It genuinely disturbed me. Genuinely made me want to rebury everyone, by my own hands if I had to. That's why I haven't memorialised Tholtig yet. Because I didn't want to put her in there."

Salmeuk frowned, he wasn't aware of Tholtig dying, come to think of it, he hadn't seen her for a few months.

The Tavern Keeper rested her head on her elbows, hair falling to the sides. Huh, the Tavern Keeper is a lady dwarf, how could Salmeuk miss that for so long he thought. He shrugged and drank again, motioning her to continue. As Duke, his job was to listen and advise.

"Tholtig died to save me. On the day I 'died'. Its...not something she meant to do but I don't regret it. Hasn't stopped me having a nightmare about it once in a while since I haven't memorialised her. You'll see what I mean if you go into my coffin.
Anyway..." she took a deep breath

"The worst part of this new memorial hall after everyone complaining about it? Its what I'm going to do now, starting with you." Salmeuk raised his eyebrows as he drank his 4th pint.

"Sal...I'm sorry for bringing up any bad memories but it was the first death in the fort records. What was your wife Bim's best achievement in your eyes?
"She will be the first in the new halls, then the other members of the founders

I wonder if Sal regrets wanting to grab some lady dwarves now when he departs
« Last Edit: November 07, 2020, 07:20:48 am by recon1o6 »
Urist McRecon cancels make exploding booze: Interrupted by bad idea
Urist McRecon cancels bad idea: missing raw files
Urist McRecon cancels add raw files: Interrupted by fortress mode
Urist McRecon cancels play fortress mode: Needs exploding booze
Urist McRecon cancels acquire exploding booze: No materials

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
  • and locally produced cat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: November 07, 2020, 04:21:12 pm »

so this is a little random, but Murr is still a caged, berserker zombie, right?
"ya dun stole ma battly axe!"

Salmeuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: November 07, 2020, 05:13:03 pm »

"Sal...I'm sorry for bringing up any bad memories but it was the first death in the fort records. What was your wife Bim's best achievement in your eyes?
"She will be the first in the new halls, then the other members of the founders[/i]

Bim's best achievement was . . . leaving without a trace, quickly and quietly. Abandoning me silently in the night like that was the softest way she could deliver that news, that she was done with me and this fortress, and that there was nothing more between us. I mean, in what other way could I interpret her disappearance?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: November 08, 2020, 10:43:58 am »

You know for a fort that started out to be all about being playable on crappy computers it sure has turned into something way more epic, and even though it's small it has the same amount of cool crap going on as the bigger forts.

We also seem to be making leaps and bounds in terms of intelligent undead science.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: November 09, 2020, 09:01:33 am »

100% the reason this succession fort was successful was because it is resistant to FPS death. Most forts would be miserable by this point. Smallhands isn't super speedy, but it is manageable. I can barely load Dawnthunder or Smithsoldier.

The undead stuff is a happy accident too. A nice amount of spice to a solid base.

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: November 09, 2020, 05:02:30 pm »

Actually, come to think of it, the TVtropes page might need some updating too, considering we discovered a fairly large Good Bad Bug. Or maybe it's already been updated... Who knows?

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: November 10, 2020, 05:47:47 am »

Yeah the tvtropes page probably does need updating a bit. It would be a careful undertaking though since the pages are quite big as they are, but dwarf fortress deserves it
btw if any of you haven't read  it, I highly advise you do

honestly it would be a dream come true if Smallhands ends up in the hall of legends or on tvtropes for contributions to necromantic science

edit: look out for an update in the next 7 hours
« Last Edit: November 10, 2020, 05:51:13 am by recon1o6 »

recon1o6

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #803 on: November 10, 2020, 04:10:41 pm »

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 2nd of Malachite 168

There's positives and negatives about being the Overseer of a fortress. On one hand you have theoretically can do whatever you like providing you don't destroy the fortress. The bad news is you see all the crap that makes you want to destroy the fortress

Like our new wood cutter Labok whining about how he's sleeping in the dirt outside, being rained on and drinking vomit in the ground when I have already assigned him a bed, room and several ways into the fortress are open and he's not burrowed either.

A lot of clutter from the last siege is outside the Tall Bar much to my frustration. Some of the fallen's belongings are still there in addition to goblinite. Normally excess goblinite would be low on the list of priorities but there's masterworks out there! I can see them from the Tall Bar!

Wait a moment, we don't have a wood cutter at the present time, they must be migrants! I must go an see to them immediately!

A wine stain covers the page

...ich leaves Domas, apparently a cook but demonstrates some military training, must have been a canteen solider. Somehow also not fevered despite being in the middle of a cloud of goo like Zasit.

Imbeciles all 7 of them for not announcing their arrival. The mountainhomes have specific instructions that all coming to Smallhands must come from the north or west. At least these are migrants and not 3 children plus Dad and Mum. That reminds me, need to send the order to execute the elven tainted children.
I'll need a new bottle of ink soon, the Tall bar is shy just a handful of wall pieces before I can have furniture put in and declare it open.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 17th of Malachite 168

Honestly, I am thoroughly glad that we got migrants that were actually unskilled. It means I can have them all put to work training in the areas the fort lacks dwarfpower in. Especially engraving (My tomb should be grand after all) metalsmithing (Furniture for the tall bar and good quality armour) gem cutting and setting (decorating) and carpentry (If Auze hadn't managed to stop being suicidal when I put him on carpentry duty 3 years ago, we'd have nobody left to make beds or barrels for booze)

On second thoughts, I would have preferred some skilled migrants since those are actually pretty basic skills we are lacking bar smithing and I'd have filled the posts up anyway with them. Except our "Cook" who I guess qualifies as skilled since he has military skills and is actually quite the entertainer as well.
Slowly but surely I am bringing the Smallhands population back up to acceptable levels of skill and numbers. Everybody is below 100 stress and is quite relaxed, yes even Auze. I wonder how Auze is...

AUZE WHAT ARE YOU DOING?? THAT BELONGS IN MY ROOM NOT THE STOCKPILES

sighs
The last plump helmet wine belongs here in my room. Its not for drinking, its for use as a comparison for when I can get someone to make more plump helmet wine.
Its not a sentence I ever thought I'd have to make more than once in my life. But here I am writing it again.

Journal of the Tavern Keeper Overseer 4th of Galena 168

Fellow citizens of Smallhands!

Thanks to me and with contributions from each and every one of you, Smallhands is prospering as it is supposed to be! Yet ere as we correct the mistakes of our predecessors, we must pave the way for our many newcomers to follow, for dwarven glory, sanctity and prosperity is not built by one dwarf, but by us all! We will strive onwards, blazing this path so we may laugh as our enemies look upon our fortress and COWER in envy!

As of today, we have achieved what many called a fools errand, despite the rain! Despite invasions! and despite ALL the necromantic hell this world has sought to throw at us, we can be proud to have stood in defiance and raised this tower to the heavens for Dwarven superiority of all time, regardless of life or death! The other races and all false gods shall view our tower bustling with activity and pleasure and weep before our craftsdwarfship. Our enemies will scramble to escape its fiery rain as we pour magma from its roof onto those who dare tread within our boundaries.

While we drink away to our hearts content.

I am proud to finally declare the Tall Bar OPEN!

It couldn't have gone better. A bright day with blue sky, no rain, sun or evil clouds. I had everybody assemble at the base and gave my speech before metaphorically throwing the doors open to the Tall bar. Everyone's cheering, chatting, drinking or helping one of the ghouls drown themselves in my specially formulated brews.

My speech even attracted some of the best craftsdwarves I have seen in years!

We got 8 and counting! Among them were two High Master metalsmiths, a good Marksdwarf named Urist with a pair of dogs. A stone mason also with military training and a few others I haven't had a chance to process yet.
Several dwarves have reported that progress on removal of the old graveyard insults is going quicker than expected with all the new hands. Quarque did cry at one point about a rail track being dug straight through something horrible he put in Salmeuk's tomb room for a laugh but it didn't stop him from putting one over Imic's work right next to it! I have no sympathy to either of them and they are welcome to drown any sorrows they get at my new tavern.

They aren't gonna be making new engravings anyway, both have the fever and I have fresh workers to do that.

I think a celebratory toast is in order for today. Perhaps some Foxtail millet.

several different booze stains line the bottom of the page. A granite tankard imprint lies upon the top half of the parchment

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 11, 2020, 11:47:30 am »

Huzzah! More drunken ghouls! Or maybe they can't get drunk. It's a mystery...

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 11, 2020, 06:24:46 pm »

The Tall Bar has been under construction for what...8 years? Glad to see it's finally open!

fatcat__25

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes apple trees for their fruit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 11, 2020, 06:44:59 pm »

honestly it would be a dream come true if Smallhands ends up in the hall of legends or on tvtropes for contributions to necromantic science

I have been toying with nominating Smallhands to the hall of legends for quite a while, but have been struggling to find a good description for the fortress. Perhaps I will figure something out sometime. It will definitely include some mention to Nogood.  :)
Fort is running at 21 FPS, the ground is having a panic attack in places, and what looks like a conga line of zombified Hungry Heads has formed on (I think) Z-level 32 of the caverns.
I love dwarven status reports.

Murr2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 11, 2020, 09:55:52 pm »

Description idea:

Ghouls, necromancy, body snatching, !!NECROMANCY!!, feverish goo, FREAKING !!NECROMANCY!!, and much, much more.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 11, 2020, 09:59:54 pm »

Description idea:

Ghouls, necromancy, body snatching, !!NECROMANCY!!, feverish goo, FREAKING !!NECROMANCY!!, and much, much more.

Maybe plus "all in a little package"

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: November 12, 2020, 06:25:23 am »

I feel we should mention some of the stuff that happened to Nogood in the description as well.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 109