00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 240333 times)

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet
« Reply #435 on: March 06, 2020, 11:27:38 pm »

"It's like you said, killing isn't always the answer.  Restraint is often a better path, and I do happen to be interested in theological matters as they relate to the holy SEED... and demons.  I haven't made up my mind, however, so either are still possibilities."
+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: March 07, 2020, 12:05:38 am »

[17] Emma seems to relax at your response, some of the tension curling her frame fading. There's a brief flicker of something uncertain as she reaches over to pick at your cake. You, meanwhile, are on your second slice, and eyeing a third. "I didn't...really mean it like that, by the way. I hope I didn't offend you, earlier. The night before last was really scary...and you were the scariest part." She pauses, looking down at her plate, "I mean, your back-- it looked awful. I could see bone, but you kept fighting."

[19] "I think you'd be amazing at whatever you did." She offers, after a beat, smiling at you. "What um...interests you about [demons]? I noticed you were reading about them earlier."

[4][18] She pauses unexpectedly, staring across at you with sudden intent, a strange expression on her face. You've known Emma for a year, and you know that expression; its stunned disbelief mixed with a healthy dose of fear. Her fork freezes midway to her mouth, and she has to think about eating.

[6] "Do-- are you...?" Is all she can muster.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 12:10:15 am by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #437 on: March 07, 2020, 12:10:24 am »

Not sure if we should be evasive or truthful...  Here's a possibility for being evasive:

"Whether as a Crusader or a Scholar, my duties will include seeing to our greatest foes, the demons, should they ever return.  We can't defeat our enemies if we are ignorant of them, so learning more about them is a natural choice, if that answers your question."
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 12:28:41 am by ZBridges »

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #438 on: March 07, 2020, 12:33:22 am »

[14] There's a moment of hesitation from Emma, and she dips a nod, smiling across at you. "I didn't know you were so faithful, Pheobe." She smirks, taking another bite of her food, "I guess it comes from your Grandmother, right? How is she? I've heard a lot about her from others, but never from you. And you never talk about your parents..."

"What are they like?"

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #439 on: March 07, 2020, 12:39:36 am »

I'm not convinced that lying is the best path forward, but if we did want to lie, here's a possibility:

"I don't remember.  They left when I was very young.  My grandmother is really the only family I have, but perhaps my parents are alive and still out there, somewhere.  As you would expect from such a controversial Crusader, she wasn't always as kind and understanding as she could have been."

"What are your parents like?  I don't think we've really ever discussed that."
« Last Edit: March 07, 2020, 12:53:57 am by ZBridges »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #440 on: March 07, 2020, 12:56:19 am »

I'm not convinced that lying is the best path forward, but if we did want to lie, here's a possibility:

"I don't remember.  They left when I was very young.  My grandmother is really the only family I have, but perhaps my parents are alive and still out there, somewhere.  As you would expect from such a controversial Crusader, she wasn't always as kind and understanding as she could have been."

"What are your parents like?  I don't think we've really ever discussed that."

im not sure this is a lie, since we really don’t remember how we were born. For all we know, demons reproduce via budding. The truth would be that we don’t remember our parents because we fell from the sky. That would raise more questions. +1 to the response, btw

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #441 on: March 07, 2020, 01:07:19 am »

[20]"Ah, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..." She trails off, picking at the edge of her pastry with a fork, brushing aside a burnt end, "I was raised by my brother and the house servants, really. I never knew my mother, and my father was always distant...he's...really ill, I guess you could say, but he has no one to blame for it besides himself."

"He's the one who made William like that. I got tutoring in how to hold myself and speak and all this stuff, and William got put into combat training when he was just a little kid."

"I guess you and him are similar that way, huh? Nicole must have put you through hell."

When you ask about her father's illness, she hesitates, looking across at you, "You're already mixed up in my family. He...he tried to take parts from a [demon] he found and attach them to himself. It...it didn't go right. He has to constantly take antibiotics and stay in a sterilized room. He gets sick a lot. I guess that's why he wants me to train in Medicine. I'm surprised he isn't dead yet, to be honest."

Wrly, she continues, "Too much to hope for, I guess."

"Hey, if its uh...possible, do you think we could try to go for the same posting?"

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #442 on: March 07, 2020, 01:15:25 am »

"I'd like that.  Do you have any ideas about where you'd like to serve?"

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #443 on: March 07, 2020, 01:17:27 am »

[20]"Ah, I'm sorry. I didn't mean to..." She trails off, picking at the edge of her pastry with a fork, brushing aside a burnt end, "I was raised by my brother and the house servants, really. I never knew my mother, and my father was always distant...he's...really ill, I guess you could say, but he has no one to blame for it besides himself."

"He's the one who made William like that. I got tutoring in how to hold myself and speak and all this stuff, and William got put into combat training when he was just a little kid."

"I guess you and him are similar that way, huh? Nicole must have put you through hell."

When you ask about her father's illness, she hesitates, looking across at you, "You're already mixed up in my family. He...he tried to take parts from a [demon] he found and attach them to himself. It...it didn't go right. He has to constantly take antibiotics and stay in a sterilized room. He gets sick a lot. I guess that's why he wants me to train in Medicine. I'm surprised he isn't dead yet, to be honest."

Wrly, she continues, "Too much to hope for, I guess."

"Hey, if its uh...possible, do you think we could try to go for the same posting?"
”yes, that would be good” ((posting like sentry duty?))

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #444 on: March 07, 2020, 01:26:25 am »

((I think more like where we would be working when we graduate.))

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #445 on: March 07, 2020, 01:37:03 am »

Your fixed-term job for the Scholars after you finish with the Academy. Crusaders are usually assigned to a platoon or squad, nowadays mostly guarding, with occasional forays against Outlanders or uppity warlords. Scholars are assigned to a library, a research lab, or even the Holy City.

Emma beams at you from across the table, happiness and relief all playing out across her features. She looks taken aback when you ask where she might want to go, "I...don't really know."

[15]"I was hoping to pick after you, so at least I'll have some idea of what you were going to do and could pick some place close." Emma looks embarrassed here, flushing a little. "I was preparing myself to become a communication operator or something for you, since I was sure you were going to become a Crusader. I guess I can relax a bit, since you're not so sure either."

"Hey, what's with you and Brother Hop? He seems really uh...interested in you? Did he know your parents?" She pauses, fishing for information, "You do go to his room a lot. And then there's that early morning training you two do."

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #446 on: March 07, 2020, 01:43:48 am »

"He's a close friend of my grandmother's.  Nicole asked him to give me additional intensive training, and, sadly, he definitely takes that seriously.  I wouldn't say that he's a friend, because I always feel like I have to be wary around him, and I know that he reports my progress to my grandmother."

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #447 on: March 07, 2020, 02:03:51 am »

"That sounds awful." Emma takes a sip of tea, offering, "I"m just glad my dad doesn't have pull like that with the Scholars. I think I'd go insane."

The rest of your meal passes with idle chitchat about classes and scores, or about what your friends did, or what they're going to do. You manage to polish off most of the cake, with Emma watching with an amused smile. The baker returns, brushing off his hands and standing almost at attention in front of Emma and your table.

"Was everything good?" He asks, politely, and you both agree it was delicious and very well made. He gives a genuine smile, murmuring about how he made the cake.

"So, what do  I owe you?" Emma asks, with a charming smile.

"Nothing for you, Miss Thornton." The baker is quick to reply, glancing to you warily.

Emma's smile fades, and she repeats herself, letting her annoyance show. The baker stutters, providing a reasonable price. Emma pays extra, handing him a wad of bills she pulls from her cloak.

"T-thank you Miss Thornton."

Emma gives another smile and rises to her feet. You follow, giving the baker an easy smile.

"I hate that!" Emma vents to you as soon as you leave the bakery, stepping into the cold night air. Snow has started to fall on the town, but, you note with comfort, there's a patrol of Crusaders making their way down the street. Your fellow students are still on the streets, some drunk, some sober. "Everyone did that back home, too! I don't need free things, and they're attempt at respect just makes me upset."

"Now I have to deal with this here!" She pouts, brushing some crumbs from her robe and straightening it out. "Want to go get a drink or something, Pheobe?"

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Relationships (click to show/hide)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #448 on: March 07, 2020, 02:07:48 am »

"Sure, sounds good."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #449 on: March 07, 2020, 02:24:16 am »

"Sure, sounds good."
+1

((Not a suggestion, just thoughts: When are we going to tell her? The reason I didn’t mention our origin is because of the lie we told about not being a demon. I feel like the longer we wait to tell her, the worse it will be when she finds out, maybe we can tell her when we are alone, that way if she asks why we lied ad the bakery, we can tell her that it was because we didn’t want others to know))
Pages: 1 ... 28 29 [30] 31 32 ... 381