00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 240282 times)

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #3255 on: May 06, 2020, 11:54:53 am »

The fortress is capable of sustaining millions and it is far under capacity. There are plenty of nutrient cubes for us to take.

Water rationing hasn't occurred yet, the population is low enough that there's plentiful food, water, and light currently, as the structure was designed for many more inhabitants.

The Canadian kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • The Cat in the Hat demands I hand over my kneecaps
    • View Profile
« Reply #3256 on: May 06, 2020, 12:23:44 pm »

Go grab a bunch of nutrient cubes.
+1

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3257 on: May 06, 2020, 12:25:01 pm »

You rise, drifting to where the duffel bag from a few days before lies packed with nutrient cubes. All of them are still intact, wrapped in foil. By your count, there's thirty packages within the bag. You shrug it over your shoulder and head to the elevator. You pass by a number of lower levels, the lights dim in the night to aid with circadian rhythms. You stop into the algae tanks, finding a skeleton crew of those who prefer night shifts scrubbing the surface out and disinfecting it. There are not many workers, but the work strikes you as the sort of thing that apprentices are assigned to do when there's nothing else -- to keep them out of trouble and make sure they earn their rations. Seeing no other work available, you strip off your coat.

[3] Your assistance is unnecessary, and when they realize who you are, seems to hinder more than help. They start performing the work as precisely as possible, out of fear of reprimand, and after an hour or so of their mumbled apologies, you take your leave. There isn't much to -do-.

[5] The Crusaders are all resting, the ships loaded with the supplies they need for their extended operations. An officer makes a few last-minute checks on the various supplies and weapons -- but the soldiers are all sleeping. Dead to world. Nabbing a few hours of respite, sure they will have difficulty getting rest when they are operating.

With nothing better to do, you decide to check on Eric. Only to find that his medical bed is empty. An exhausted medic looks at you, then refers you to a recreational floor. Surprised, you head up, finding Eric is the only one awake. His chest is still covered in bloodied bandages, but he sits beneath a set of weights, exercising despite his unhealed wounds.

"Pheobe. Or do you want me to call you Pheonix?" He questions, with a rasp, exhaling a heavy, pained sigh through his gritted teeth as he completes another rep. "Or Alphira? Or Mother?"

[7] He's not pleased to see you, and for a moment, you consider leaving. Perhaps its the boredom, or guilt, but you stand there, facing his scorn.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3258 on: May 06, 2020, 12:30:18 pm »

"Honestly, Eric, whatever you prefer is fine, but when others are present I'd appreciate it if you called me Phoenix. How are you feeling? I'm glad to see that you're up and about."

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3259 on: May 06, 2020, 12:36:11 pm »

[8] "That's a strange question to ask the man with holes in his chest." Eric retorts, lifting the bar with his prosthetic hand-- until to be wracked by a painful coughing fit that leaves him curled on the bench. He spits a wad of bloody phlegm, gasping for his breath. "I feel...like shit, Pheobe. But I can't keep sitting and doing nothing-- the Crusaders won't let me go back on active duty until the Medics approve m--"

You can see the realization in his eyes as he turns to face you, face pale.

"Hey. Pheobe. Can I ask a favor? Can you tell the Medics that I will be fine and get them to clear me for duty?"
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 12:40:20 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3260 on: May 06, 2020, 12:39:59 pm »

"Have you met the new Crusader General? She has requested your assistance in coordinating logistics. Would you be willing to start with that? If that goes well for a while, I would be fine with transferring you to a more active position."

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3261 on: May 06, 2020, 12:41:04 pm »

We can try healing him, we have Healing Factor

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3262 on: May 06, 2020, 12:42:53 pm »

We can try healing him, we have Healing Factor
-1. We've never successfully healed someone other than ourself, and one time when we tried to heal another we only made the injuries worse.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3263 on: May 06, 2020, 12:57:23 pm »

[2] Eric rises to his feet suddenly, lifting the barbell with a sudden display of strength and tossing it down hard enough to crack the floor. His willpower flares with anger, but doesn't reach far. He paces angrily as he rants, "I don't -want- to be in a logistics position, Pheobe. I want to -fight-. You're running an operation tomorrow, take me with you. You can I can fight. You know I'm strong enough!"

[19] With the weight turned to you, you take note of the mass he was lifting. [Five hundred pounds]. He turns his intact back to you as he paces, and a quotation unbidden comes to you, "Scars on the back are a swordsman's shame--" you pause, frowning, "Or maybe it should be a 'soldier's shame'."

[19] Eric lifts his brow, confused. Then his shoulders slump, "I always wanted to be better than you, you know that? I knew you snuck out in the mornings to train with Hop. I knew that you held back on your daily physical exercises. I wanted to beat you regardless -- but how could I beat God? How could I ever succeed against someone like you." With a grunt of exertion, he picks up the weight set, flesh blood darkening his bandages.

[13][16 vs 15] With another pained breath, he steps closer under the weight and tosses it to you-- you catch it easily. "The most I've ever lifted is [six hundred pounds], on a dare, when I was drunk. But I bet you can lift three times that much. How do I compete with that, Pheobe?"

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3264 on: May 06, 2020, 01:02:25 pm »

"Eric... I'm not really human anymore. Among the other Crusaders, however, you're at peak performance, probably strong enough to rival or exceed the Great Crusaders of old. Speaking of which, is there a Great Crusader that you admire?"

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3265 on: May 06, 2020, 01:08:37 pm »

I thought Isela wanted Eric as a bodyguard, not logistics, unless I missed something

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3266 on: May 06, 2020, 01:20:14 pm »

I interpreted her request to have him as her "muscle and face" to include dealing with the other officers and making sure that planning gets done.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3267 on: May 06, 2020, 01:22:16 pm »

[10] "Great Crusader Lahmere." Eric murmurs, after a beat, before he continues, "Were you ever human, Pheobe?"

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3268 on: May 06, 2020, 01:26:11 pm »

"I like to think so. I don't remember it, but my kind always start as humans. Eric, what if I told you that you could be the Thirteenth Crusader? I think you would make Lahmere proud."

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3269 on: May 06, 2020, 01:34:27 pm »

"Get the medics to waiver my leave of health and put me on your operation tomorrow, and you can call me whatever you like."
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 01:39:18 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »
Pages: 1 ... 216 217 [218] 219 220 ... 381