00 - Her potential has been limited by her free will- 00

I don't care.
- 0 (0%)
I don't care.
- 0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Voting closed: January 04, 2021, 02:28:47 am

Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 381

Author Topic: McCreary's Planet -- (FINISHED)  (Read 240246 times)

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: McCreary's Planet -- Act III: Sol's Reign
« Reply #3840 on: May 24, 2020, 08:13:19 pm »

["What's the situation?"] Cephie questions. You take a moment, dipping a nod to Emma who slowly rises. She pauses as she leaves, lingering on the door frame, but doesn't look back -- and you stutter, lost in half-formed memory. Armssmith comes in after. You finish explaining the situation.

["Probably better if you don't fight in a city, to be honest. Explosions plus cheap buildings are not a good mix. I'll head down there."] Cephie responds, stifling a yawn. ["I'll take a regular hovercraft -- leave my ship. Help yourself to food or whatever."]

And the line goes dead. Armssmith stands before you, hands curled across a batch of papers in a leather case. "I wanted to talk to you about the Looming...it...it don't seem natural. I mean, I understand SEED made the technology...but..." She trails off into silence, letting the implication hang. You are a child of the Loom -- not here, not on this world, but of another. There's always a question that hangs above your head -- if I didn't have biological parents, am I truly a human? Or an automaton of flesh?

That is the question that Armssmith is raising. If it is truly ethical to create human life in this manner.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3841 on: May 24, 2020, 08:17:35 pm »

"Minister Armssmith, do you feel most at home with deontology, rules-based ethics, or teleology, consequence-based ethics? If a lie was necessary to save human lives, would you lie, even though telling a lie is wrong?"

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
  • Thank you TamerVirus for the avatar switcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3842 on: May 24, 2020, 08:18:53 pm »

it’s not like we don’t have will. I don’t see a problem with the technology. Phoenix, avoid Slayer, others, please weigh in
"Minister Armssmith, do you feel most at home with deontology, rules-based ethics, or teleology, consequence-based ethics? If a lie was necessary to save human lives, would you lie, even though telling a lie is wrong?"
I don’t like you implying that we are somehow wrong.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 08:22:04 pm by Naturegirl1999 »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3843 on: May 24, 2020, 08:20:20 pm »

I don't see how this technology brings suffering unto others. Loomed humans are still humans.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3844 on: May 24, 2020, 08:25:22 pm »

it’s not like we don’t have will. I don’t see a problem with the technology. Phoenix, avoid Slayer, others, please weigh in
I don’t like you implying that we are somehow wrong.

Hmm. I was thinking that he already thinks we are wrong somehow, and it would be easier to argue it is necessary rather than that looming is absolutely right, but if this doesn't work I would be fine with switching tact.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3845 on: May 24, 2020, 08:26:36 pm »

"I don't know about any of that, Mother Pheonix." Armssmith replies bluntly, truthfully. "I know how to make things work, and how to work. But...something about that concept seems wrong...what are we using them for? These people we intend to create? Are we just making more people? Or are we creating soldiers? If we're just making more people-- well, time will handle that soon enough...if we're making them to make soldiers or slaves...is it truly right to decide someone's life like that?"

We were created to be a soldier...is that why peace is so hard for us to find? You muse while the others argue, considering the topic.

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3846 on: May 24, 2020, 08:31:06 pm »

I think we should say that loomed humans can be whatever they want to be. They have free will. The difference is that they are stronger and are capable of more than regular humans.

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3847 on: May 24, 2020, 08:36:29 pm »

Will they be? And how will they fit in with regular humans if they are superior?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3848 on: May 24, 2020, 08:39:22 pm »

That's a good question... we should look into how looming has affected populations in the past so that we can make an informed decision. If it brings about divides and suffering, it may not be a good choice.

Unless you have a different perspective, Woman of Nature?
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 08:47:28 pm by ZBridges »

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3849 on: May 24, 2020, 08:47:35 pm »

That's a good question... we should look into how looming has affected populations in the past so that we can make an informed decision. If it brings about divides and suffering, it may not be a good choice.
Agreed. For that, we need to somehow connect with the network probably

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3850 on: May 24, 2020, 08:50:08 pm »

Our therapist might know, based on when she was last connected to the network. It might be worth asking her.

Naturegirl1999

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3851 on: May 24, 2020, 08:54:12 pm »

Fair point. So, what do we say to Armssmith?

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3852 on: May 24, 2020, 08:56:10 pm »

"Thank you for bringing your concerns to my attention. You can always tell me if you have misgivings over a particular piece of technology. I will research this and gather more information so that I can determine whether Looming would or would not be ethical."

19_EgarAlnis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3853 on: May 24, 2020, 09:29:42 pm »

Armssmith dips her head in a bow. She leaves you alone in the Minister's Chamber, stepping out. You slouch back in your seat, fiddling with the edges of the cheap metal and plastic as you stare out over the room. It was originally a recreation chamber on the higher levels, and it has a pleasant water feature. High on the walls, water trickles down over stone. Lichens are beginning to grow there, and you note thin lilypads growing on the surface of the square ponds that lay beneath the feature.

Your seat is at the head of the table, facing the great doors that lead into this room. Carefully positioned as important.

So, this is what being a ruler feels like -- boring meetings.

Spoiler: Status (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Inventory (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Powers and Skills (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Wealth (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Contracts (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Ties (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Map (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 24, 2020, 09:33:03 pm by 19_EgarAlnis »

ZBridges

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3854 on: May 24, 2020, 09:38:13 pm »

Your ministers are the lifeblood of your nation, and they need guidance. With that being said, however, we probably won't need to have these meetings too often.
Pages: 1 ... 255 256 [257] 258 259 ... 381