Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409815 times)

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
Re: The Museum III: Adventure mode succession game.
« Reply #570 on: November 18, 2020, 06:44:00 am »

More savefile poetry! This is the stuff.
Unfortunate as it may be' the duo's demise is certainly going to be interesting to read about.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: November 18, 2020, 01:01:48 pm »

It wasn't anything spectacular, I'm afraid. Got into a fight they weren't prepared for and a few tactical missteps quickly sealed their fate. But hey, the dwarven population broke 1000 during my turn, so that's something. Maybe they'll outnumber the elves soon.
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: November 20, 2020, 11:42:02 pm »

Any word from Tonnot? It's been a few days.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: November 22, 2020, 06:09:00 am »

Frankly' between Tonnot's two weeks of absence and the turn list not getting updated either' I think the game might be having a hiatus' for a reason or another.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: November 22, 2020, 09:07:39 am »

Don't worry. I did PM tonnot when the save was posted. I like to give people a fair chance to respond, but I think at this point we should move on. I'll try to update the relevant posts later today.

Timeless Bob

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: November 22, 2020, 12:00:59 pm »

Pass me up this turn, I just have my phone right now - laptop went on the fritz.  Saving up for a new one, but until then, I'm kinda limited.  Cheers.
L33tsp34k does to English what Picasso did to faces.

Dwarfopoly
The Luckiest Tourist EVER
Bloodlines of the Forii

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: November 22, 2020, 04:11:08 pm »

Sorry to hear that.. Should I put you somewhere lower on the list, or will you sign up later?
Did your notes about your first adventurers survive? I was looking forward to reading about those.

--

That makes it Glloyd's turn. I did update the relevant posts. The map is also updated with Nogoodname's new site, Emeraldcrown. Because of where he placed it, I also found out about an additional adventure mode site that one of you build. It has been added as well. I hope the map is still readable.

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: November 22, 2020, 04:17:46 pm »

Sorry to hear that Timeless Bob. I hadn't expected to start so soon, but I can pick the save up tomorrow and get started then.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: November 22, 2020, 04:35:35 pm »

"Healedwhips the Awe-Inspiring Despair". Sounds like quite the cheerful little place.

Good luck with your turn, Glloyd.
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: November 22, 2020, 04:42:30 pm »

I think Healedwhips was the camp Tonnot made to make a crutch for Fidale. I checked it out while I was deciding on where to put Emeraldcrown. AFAIK it's just a single carpenter's workshop.
                        - Random human lord

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: November 22, 2020, 09:52:43 pm »

Thep: In one of the ruins they visited, Vadame and Laci found the skull of Ereni Eventaper, the foul blendec slain by Fidale Umberrazors. It seemed that they were following in her footsteps.

Thep: Hold on, are those bloodstains?

Thep: It’s rude to interrupt, dear. Ahem. The two of them set down to rest in an abandoned forest retreat. Sometime in her sleep, Laci reverted to her original form. A relief to her, as she had been told such curses usually lasted a whole week. Vadane was happy his friend was back to normal, although a part of him was disappointed she could no longer carry him.

Thep: The next day, they continued west. When they were nearing the forest retreat of Packwinters, Vadane noticed some odd tracks ahead of them. After some discussion, they decided to investigate. The two of them followed the tracks until they abruptly ended. A quick search of the area turned up nothing. The pair were about to continue on their way when a long, low howl erupted from behind them. A Howling Freak had suddenly appeared on the hillside! It charged them, wielding a carving fork. A hungry look was in its eyes.

Thep: Vadane stood his ground and met the monster’s charge with his blade. However, unused to the heft of his new sword, his strikes were sluggish and clumsy. The beast effortlessly sidestepped them and responded in kind. By contrast, its stabs were swift, precise, and deadly. The first pierced Vadane’s leg and brought him to his knees. The second crippled his sword arm, disarming him.

Meanwhile, Laci desperately rained down bolts from above. She scored several hits to the creature’s limbs, causing it to collapse on top of Vadane. It raised its fork for a killing blow, but Laci sent a bolt through its arm. Howling in frustration, the freak dropped its fork. Unfortunately, it still had its fangs, and they were every bit as deadly as its discarded weapon. Vadane, dazed from his wounds, was powerless to resist as the creature began ferociously mauling him. His wooden elvish mail was as useless as tissue paper against the beast’s crushing jaws.

Laci had run out of bolts to throw. She landed and began to search desperately for something, anything that could be used as a weapon. She had to find some way to save her friend.

Thep: Her intense search turned up nothing. There were some pebbles in a distant pile, but too far to reach in time. The monster lay between her and any useable bolts. She looked, only to see Vadane breathe his last and then fall still. The howling freak turned to her with an evil grin.

With tears in her eyes, Laci took off once again. All she could do now was fly away and maybe come back for Vadane’s body once it was safer…

Except the beast had other plans. With unnatural speed for something so wounded, it leapt at Laci before she could reach a safe altitude. Its wings were too damaged for actual flight, but they were just enough to propel the monster onto an intercept course with the fleeing magpie woman. It bit down on Laci’s wing, hard. Both of them tumbled out of the air. The beast then shattered Laci’s leg, ending any hope of escape.

Such a small, fragile thing she was. Hard to imagine that just a day before she had ruled the skies as a mighty giant vulture. Maybe if she still had some of that strength, she could have overpowered the howling freak. But no, she was just a little bird, very far from the peaceful lands of her home. She was utterly helpless as the monster strangled the life out of her!

Leto: Wait, what? WHAT!? They both died!?

Thep: A tragic story, no? Laci could have easily escaped had she tried to sooner, but she could not bring herself to abandon her friend.

Leto: That’s not what I meant! Who drew these if they both died in the wilds? Were you making this whole thing up!?

Thep: Eehehehe! I did warn you that was a possibility, did I not? But I swear that the story is true. I merely added a few pages for completeness’ sake.

Leto: How in Tokda’s name can I trust you on that!? Even if I believed you, there’s no way I could ever convince the guild!

Thep: Well, you could retrace their steps. You know, gather your own evidence? Laci often left bone carvings from her practice in the places they visited. I’ll even give you a map to where these drawings were discovered. The hunter who found them couldn’t carry the bodies back, so maybe they’re still out there.

Leto: Oh, forget it! You’ve wasted enough of my time, good day!

Thep: Suit yourself dear. Let me know if there’s anything else you need help with. I’m not going anywhere! Eehehehe!

Well that was worthless. Coming to Boltspumpkin was probably a mistake in the first place. It’s the most famous museum in Orid Xem, of course the guild knows about everything in it! As loathe as I am to admit it, I will need to look elsewhere for my thesis.

On my way out, I noticed a faded poster on one of the walls.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Hmm… That’s right next to the High Confederacies. Maybe something there could point my research in the right direction? It’s close to home at least, and I am sick to death of this cold. Northward bound, then. Maybe I’ll get lucky.

« Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 08:49:41 pm by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

Glloyd

• Bay Watcher
  • Against the Tide
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: November 23, 2020, 07:03:23 pm »

Awesome final entry! My character started very close to Emeraldcrown, so I may have to go check it out. On that note, I've picked up the save and started off. I'll probably post the first entry tomorrow. One thing to note, I was attacked by a bandit group near the start of my game, and right off the bat, one of the bandits died of old age. Good start to what is hopefully an interesting turn.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: November 23, 2020, 08:52:22 pm »

Thanks! It's been too long since I played adventure mode seriously. I forgot how nasty full-blooded night trolls can be.

Oh, and put me down for another turn, Bralbaard.
                        - Random human lord

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: November 24, 2020, 07:09:08 am »

I've updated the list.

Looking forward to read about the exploration of Emeraldcrown, the poster looks promising..

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: November 26, 2020, 04:37:43 pm »

How're things going, Glloyd? Your adventure still going well?
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 263