Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409556 times)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1860 on: April 03, 2022, 06:42:51 pm »

It's almost tempting to go on a werejackal rampage tbh
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: April 03, 2022, 06:52:29 pm »

I'm personally not against a type of adventurer v adventurer action going on. Especially if a player wants to set their character up for it, like the aforementioned werebeast on a rampage. But of course, only if it's 100% consensual.
I've lost control of my life.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: April 04, 2022, 09:49:15 am »

Allright, no response from Wonderpsycho, I'll get started on my turn.

Quite a few obligations this week and I've also started a new job today, so time will be limited. 
It should be plenty for the ideas I discussed earlier.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: April 04, 2022, 01:12:50 pm »

I see we have both started new jobs. Best of luck in your new role. Good luck with the world.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: April 04, 2022, 04:34:18 pm »

It should be plenty for the ideas I discussed earlier.

Oh, intriguing! Are you going to reclaim Treatyseed? Good luck with the new job, and the turn!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: April 05, 2022, 04:36:32 pm »

Interesting little tidbit, Imic's killer is still alive and kicking, last sighted in a gob-on-gob war in 859. Since he last killed Imic, he's become a war veteran, participating in 14 battles.

Spoiler: image (click to show/hide)

No other kills or epithet gained though.

Good luck to Bralbaard in his turn. I hope he takes on cleaning Ilrallenod with all the epicness and drama that might come of it, but no pressure. If he can't manage, maybe someone else or even I'll try it.

That sounds like those interesting things we learn from playing a world so very long

I think most worlds you generally stop playing before you can start seeing the "cracks" or all those things that aren't happening now post-generation

This one is fascinating to watch for that reason

I wonder if at some point in the long future this will get even more oriented of player characters fighting each other and such?
NPC'd adventurers fighting each other? That'd be great. It looks like being undead increases a creature's chances to wander the world and even encounter other undead and duel it out. Evala, an undead and an adventurer slayer himself, got killed twice by two such wandering undead.

Well, to be fair, that did happen in Mudungudon, there we saw the world breaking down in other interesting ways than this one, with entire towns depopulated of their mortal population by the mere presence of adventurers, mortals being finally allow to die of old age in a static world. Even if the technical possibilities at that time made it janky, the first fort of Mudungudon had this same fate, except some original dwarves survived by virtue of not being in the range of a wandering adventurer. Two to be exact. We also can see this because the first Orid Xem fort died with the overseer (was it Bralbaard?) sending the survivors away, most of which were scooped up as Barons, Counts, etc. for a territorial large but underpopulated Adilatir. On the other hand, it's going to be hard to see what happens with a merely retired fort, where does "original inhabitants" stop that we can trace them and say how many lived throughout the centuries?

I've been looking through the "battles" that made Unlo a war veteran and I've found a few things. The first "battle" was not part of any war, which surprised me. Looking further, the "attacker" was part of the civ that claims the site. So I wonder what's going on. Scrolling through the attacker's LV page, I find

Entity Reputations
◾The Tar-disloyalty of Fate of  The Knowing Deceiver: ◾Treasure Hunter: 500%

So it appears the "attacker" was in fact an NPC adventurer  who wanted what the site was holding, presumably got caught and killed in the melee.

The other battles so far appears to be scoutings from Nusmzolak, which prompts the question: how do they justify in-game giving the scoutings such ridiculous names as, for example, The Crazy Onslaught.

G(oblin) 1: Hey man, I heard you were part of an awesome-sounding battle called The Crazy Onslaught. Tell me all about it.
G2: Well, alright.

In 719, midsummer, (19th of Malachite)  The Most Sin attacked The Tar-disloyalty of Fate of  The Knowing Deceiver at Dreadruled. Leader of the attack was the goblin Mato Wickedstrike, and the defenders were led by the goblin Olngo Hateddies the Fell Band of Fighting during The Crazy Onslaught as part of The Barbarous Conflict.

In 719, midsummer, (19th of Malachite) the goblin Olngo Hateddies the Fell Band of Fighting entirely outwitted the goblin Mato Wickedstrike, and the defenders had a strong positional advantage in Dreadruled during The Crazy Onslaught as part of The Barbarous Conflict.

In 719, midsummer, (19th of Malachite) the goblin Mato Wickedstrike was imprisoned by The Tar-disloyalty of Fate during The Crazy Onslaught as part of The Barbarous Conflict.

G1's eyes sparkle: Wow, man, that must have been a great General! How many troops did she have with her? At least a dozen, right?
G2: None.
G1: What?
G2: It was just her alone, sneaking around until we caught her and put her in the dungeon.
G1: But... but... you just said... the outwitting and... and...
G2: What can I say? That's how it was written in the history books *shrugs*.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2022, 05:47:36 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
  • Necromancy Cultist, Any and All Pronouns
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: April 05, 2022, 10:13:03 pm »

oh god i missed it again i am so sorry, i again got tangled up again on some other stuff along with a ss13 feature i was working on for a ss13 server i am a mentor for so sorry i missed my turn again
GLORY UPON THE LORDS OF DEATH, PRAISE NECROMANCY!!

Zed Apocalypse Undead Infection Mini Mod
Civs+ Mod

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: April 05, 2022, 10:51:58 pm »

Maybe Bralbaard could let you get your turn after his, as a sort of a swap? It's unfortunate to miss your turn by a day or two. I'm for it, if no one else minds. It's supposed to be your first turn ever too, right?
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: April 06, 2022, 12:55:39 am »

That is fine with me, I'll add it to the list.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: April 06, 2022, 05:49:28 am »

Trade sounds good to me.

Drunken scholar

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: April 06, 2022, 12:19:09 pm »

actually i decided i am not gonna hop on just yet, i'll watch for now, cause i don't think i am fully free yet as i am working on some scripts for some videos i am working on

Civs+ Mod

WonderPsycho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: April 06, 2022, 12:27:06 pm »

oh wait too late i am already on the list but i am next you know what i'll try this out i changed my mind, this time i won't miss it

Civs+ Mod

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: April 06, 2022, 02:53:25 pm »

I will put the save up for you on monday, if that helps in planning.
As for my adventure, it is not the Treatyseed thing, I don't think I'd be up for a task that daunting.
It is something different from the regular adventures though, and we have discussed it before. Here we go.

------------------------

Can Mischief save the world??
by Midas Squarewheel, head ecologist of the museum.

Dear reader. Before you lie the incoherent writings of Midas Squarewheel, the new head ecologist of the museum. I am but a simple scientist, and my deeds may not amount to much, but I feel it is important to put them to paper. The world needs to be saved after all, and if I fail, others may read this and prove to be more successful. 

Recently the museum has made some funds available to hire an ecologist. They ended up hiring me for the job,  Midas Squarewheel, in most aspects a fairly average human. I fear that if they had hired an elf, he would have gone mad within days, due to the current state of things.
In fact, because of the current situation I can only assume that the museum must have hired an ecologist out of a feeling of guilt as the effects that the museum itself has had on the world’s ecology are nothing short of catastrophic.

In the Third Age of Myth and before the world had a thriving ecosystem, with megabeasts as top predators, living together with many other creatures in an intricate web of relationships. The adventurers have destroyed all that, by killing every last megabeast and by unleashing terrible plagues on the land.
I’ve heard all the excuses. They say that we are better off without the Dragons, Rocs and Hydras, they claim it is well known they killed people on their rampages. But the truth of the matter is that by removing the top predators, the whole ecosystem becomes unbalanced and will collapse. The data shows this clearly: every other population, even that of all sentient races has been in decline over the last centuries. Mass extinctions are everywhere. The Golden Age is not truly golden, it is an age of rot and decline. If nothing is done to stop this we will end up in an Age of Death. The rate at which the intelligent races are dying is far in excess from the few sentients that fell to megabeast raids in the early ages:

Even the dwarves that initially seemed to profit from the decline of the others have been in a steady decline over the last hundred years.

Raki, the mad monkey king was the first to recognize these facts. This was still in an early stage, well over a century ago. If only his reaction had been different. He chose a path of revenge and destruction and only ended up making things worse.
No, to save the world we have to heal it. We have to reintroduce key species to stabilise the ecosystem. The megabeasts however can no longer be saved. The last have died. Necromancy is no cure, it is a curse that will only make things worse. Our only option is to look at important species that are at the brink of extinction now, and try to save them, that way we can stop the decline, and maybe we can turn it back around.

This line of reasoning brought me to the gremlin.
Yes the gremlin, one of the most remarkable creatures that used to live in our realm. They were by far the smallest of the sentient creatures, even a moth man or a kobold stand at twice the height of a gremlin.

They are well known for their mischief and their stealth. Despite their size a single gremlin could bring a whole dwarven fortresses to ruin by pulling the right lever. Their cleverness and unique features were an important balancing force in the ecosystem of Orid Xem, but today they are all but gone. Rumours exist of populations deep below the world, but they are just rumours. Official counts tell us that today, only one Gremlin remains in the world, in the Teal Pit, a cave on the inaccessible “Dreamy Island”. I had therefore abandoned all hope that the species could be saved.

Untill one day an old man showed up at the museum with a caged gremlin. He told me that despite the fact that this particular gremlin was resistant to sunlight, I should never let it come in contact with water, or feed it after midnight.

I am of course first and foremost a scientist, and curiosity got the better of me. I did both of those things the same night.

Now I am in command of a gremlin horde of 381 gremlins..

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: April 06, 2022, 02:59:30 pm by Bralbaard »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: April 06, 2022, 03:01:20 pm »

The mad man actually did it, he has a horde of gremlins. This is gonna be good.

I can already imagine the endless stream of jokes.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2022, 05:26:03 am by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: April 06, 2022, 03:20:23 pm »

I feel sorry for your FPS. . . I'm so excited to see how many lil' green guys make it to the end of this adventure.
I've lost control of my life.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 263