Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 410069 times)

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #1890 on: April 10, 2022, 12:55:26 am »

It's just that gremlin pets appear to be bugged in various ways, and this is my headcannon to deal with it. Dwarf therapist doesn' t list them, not even as animals. The game itself has them as animals, not visitors. Also normally you can specify alternative clothing sizes in the workshop for your animal men, but gremlins are not listed.

Also, from a test game, if you retire them with the adventurer they are listed as outcasts, and the game is known to lose track of those.

You think you could possibly gift groups of them to npcs?

I know its finnicky with them since they simultaneously sapient and animal

I've been testing exactly this, and it seems to circumvent at least some bugs!
« Last Edit: April 10, 2022, 12:41:07 pm by Bralbaard »

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: April 10, 2022, 01:07:24 pm »

Our travels had been relatively peaceful, but that had to end sooner or later.
That end came in the form of a dingo attack in the deep of night. A single unarmed gremlin is easy prey for a dingo, but the beasts horribly misjudged our numbers. The dingoes mauled one gremlin in their surprise attack, but then all 349 remaining gremlins piled on the dingoes. None of the gremlins were armed as they left their stone axes behind in Mischieflaws, but the dingoes stood no chance.

One gremlin stood out in the battle. He killed three of the four dingoes, which is quite an achievement because all 349 gremlins joined in. That is not all that is noteworthy. I know for a fact that all the gremlins were generated out of thin air at the top floor of the museum, but their bodies do seem to have a physical age. Aye Coloreddoctrine is one of the few that should be considered just a child, I would estimate him at no more than seven.

It was clear that gremlins have the potential to defend themselves in battle. And there is more good news. I found that gremlins will happily bond to other people.  As long as these other people take good care of them, they can safely adapt to the world, without me having to take care of them. I started out with leaving small numbers of gremlins behind in Mischieflaws, then travelled back to the museum. I gave away gremlins to a lot of people, including quite a few adventurers of the museum. They all promised to take good care of their new companions as well!

And that is quite a responsibility! A gremlin can live for a thousand years, so it is not a short time commitment.
Now that I know that my gremlins have a future I can rest more easily. I will retire to further educate the 300 or so gremlins that remain with me, and hope they can have a positive influence on the world.

-------------------------------
OOC: I will play a bit more gremlin-fortress now, with a more sane number of gremlins. I have obviously not been able to give everyone gremlins, but a few of the adventurers I met in the Museum, the Shelter of Adventures and Waterdeeps now have one, or a few companions. Feel free to give them away or whatever if uninterested  :P

Also, while trying to give away the gremlins I ran into a nasty bug, apparently the gremlins I tried to leave behind earlier (the ones that went missing) were still listed and whenever I selected one the game crashed on me. I found that it has likely already been reported on the bug tracker, here. I would not know where to begin fixing this with dfhack, but according to the report it is possible. Anyhow it likely only affects my character, these are the offending gremlins (got the list from fortress mode, where they are still listed as "bonded":

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 10:56:32 am by Bralbaard »

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: April 10, 2022, 02:15:55 pm »

It is my hope that the gremlins all become assistants in the as of yet uncreated physical Historian's Guild
I've lost control of my life.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: April 10, 2022, 02:17:58 pm »

The humorous archives, the guild dedicated to documenting every joke ever told.
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: April 11, 2022, 01:45:19 pm »

The save game can be found here:

https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15880

That makes it Wonderpsycho's turn.
Good luck!

Edit: I have added Mischieflaws to the map, it lies close to Waterdeeps.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 02:19:56 pm by Bralbaard »

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: April 11, 2022, 01:55:36 pm »

I'm genuinely excited to see how the new swelling of gremlin population alters things. And whether or not they become a properly civilized population that can expand! How lovely would it be for the gremlins to inherit Adaltir when we inevitably enter the Age of Death?

Anyway, hope you enjoy your week Wonderpsycho. Always look forward to what a newcomer to the Museum games brings to the table.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: April 11, 2022, 02:42:25 pm »

Well just going through the world and it does seem like gremlin society is possible

Drunken scholar

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: April 11, 2022, 02:49:11 pm »

In some far off museum future timeline we are all dedicating our turns to fighting Gremlin tyrants and their army of intelligent undead

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: April 11, 2022, 02:58:16 pm »

After the gremlins applied for citizenship I fired all the dwarves and let the gremlins have their jobs, so these are not events generated by the game itself.

I failed to get them to breed as of yet. I started my adventure with 50% males/50% females, but I managed to only gift away female populations , as you can see in avolition's screenshot ::). Will need to fix that in a later turn.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 03:00:43 pm by Bralbaard »

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: April 11, 2022, 03:02:47 pm »

Well they have plenty of time to do so, gremlins can live up til 1,000 years, i wonder if i could get one to work in a library and become a scholar.

Drunken scholar

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: April 11, 2022, 03:17:07 pm »

Well they have plenty of time to do so, gremlins can live up til 1,000 years, i wonder if i could get one to work in a library and become a scholar.
I'd expect it to be possible, at least once they apply for citizenship. Wonder what kind of books a gremlin would write about?
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: April 11, 2022, 03:36:25 pm »

Since the Gremlins were originally considered 'animals' perhaps it would have been necessary to pit and pasture them in small spaces together during that period in order to breed them? Could you check their relationship screen after having become citizens? Wonder if they can marry other gremlins and the like. It seems gray as towards how they're treated.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: April 11, 2022, 04:45:16 pm »

In some far off museum future timeline we are all dedicating our turns to fighting Gremlin tyrants and their army of intelligent undead
This man is talking my language! I wouldn't be surprised if gremlins (theoretically) become the new Hands of Planegifts who overrun the world, this time with actual historical populations instead of abstract numbers. And so the world ended after being overrun by gremlins.
Wonder if they can marry other gremlins and the like. It seems gray as towards how they're treated.
Remember that animal historical figures can marry other animal historical figures, so it's certainly possible. Now, the breeding is up in the air, especially since we don't know their gender preference (are they infertile like the adventurers? Do we need to DFHack them into liking the opposite gender?)

I still don't think they have a future, they're too weak. I hope the one who killed three dingoes becomes legendary though.
How lovely would it be for the gremlins to inherit Adaltir when we inevitably enter the Age of Death?
I still think that the Age of Death would have to be engineered for it to be entered at all. We have two very strong human civilizations, three medium strong and this is not even counting goblin civs. Even if goblins can be whittled out, we'd at most be in the Age of Fairy Tales. And again, unless engineered out, void elves will continue to be generated as long as Ribiromimi has elven leadership and sites for void elves to appear out of nowhere. Ironically, ending their goblin meatshields may have improved their number in their civ's original species.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: April 11, 2022, 04:51:32 pm »

You make a good point about the relationship preferences, due to having been created alongside an adventurer, they may need to each and all have their switches flipped with DF Hack in order for them to actually take partners. I'll investigate this shortly.

EDIT: After having investigated into the romantic preferences of various gremlins within the fort of Mischieflaws, I can say that they have all been given the ability to mate. A few gremlins even have the 'love' relationship with others. So we may actually see procreation or at least marriages in the next few years. The only other potential hang-up is that I believe creatures have to be within a certain age of one another to mate, which might be as few as 10 years. This seems fairly relevant considering the gremlins have ages that vary in the several hundreds between one another.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 05:58:43 pm by Unraveller »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1904 on: April 11, 2022, 06:11:01 pm »

There are probably exemptions made in the code for creatures who can live 1000 years. Probably.

I checked a few things in the new save. Moldath is still there. No new elves have been generated since Yawo's turn. That's about it for now.
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 263