Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409925 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #2430 on: November 07, 2022, 10:21:57 am »

I looked through the save file a little. This changes my playing prospects considerably. Looks like Seņamatem (and a lot of other locations)were hit by a terror and massacre attack.

Yikes, somewhere around 1335 ghoulish infections.

What's done is done, but should we put some rules to stop infecting people from now on? At this rate, we'll have to unretire a thrall to be even able to survive the first day.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 10:26:13 am by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

Maloy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2431 on: November 07, 2022, 10:37:04 am »

What's done is done, but should we put some rules to stop infecting people from now on? At this rate, we'll have to unretire a thrall to be even able to survive the first day.

Perhaps a "load limit"?
Example if you're gonna unleash the blight again maybe no more than one settlement a turn?
The threat could still creep back in, but not too quickly?
I've only met three blight victims total since I started playing with you guys though so I'm not sure how big of a threat it is.

We could also just set a rule to clear such actions with someone else before doing it? New challenges are appealing after all!

I won't be infecting anyone with my werefox strain at all since werebeasts can cause game-crashing bugs by losing limbs. If I ever chose someone to pass it on to or did so unintentionally I'd let you guys know.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2432 on: November 07, 2022, 10:46:38 am »

The thing is, with anything but these plague things, it's different. Werewolves only turn once a month and die of old age. Vamps generally mind their own business unless you bother them (which is probably a bug/a result of World Activation not doing the same thing as World Generation, making vampires and necros in WG complete monsters and in WA harmless until bothered/even noble non-eaters) or until they enter fortress mode. Raised undead are a little bit of a problem, but there are already plenty left from the necromancers of old and the world mostly survived them well enough.

But except werecreatures (and even those mostly in fortress mode), the infection and aggressiveness are limited. The problem with thralls/ghouls is that, aside from being as tough as night creatures (shadow/night trolls etc.), they could always infect the person who fights them. Last time I fought one, it infected at least one or two others (which interestingly doesn't show in Legends Viewer) and it's only because they can't detect this or they're locked in battle that they didn't swarm the living and killed each other. Moreover, back then it was me + a few of the living against ONE thrall, the thrall killed most of them, then my char. So I'd say ONE is pretty tough. A whole town? Suicide. Hannibal has infected over 10 towns, maybe more.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2433 on: November 07, 2022, 12:17:35 pm »

Yeah, I think putting a limit on the further creation of Blighted Thralls by player characters (at least until their numbers diminish) may be necessary. If they start metastasizing elsewhere as badly as they did in Seņamatem over the past turn or so, it'd be a death sentence for anyone wandering into an infected town by accident; and while I'm all for a challenge, getting TPK'd by a bunch of thralls coming from nowhere midturn isn't the Fun kind of challenge.

(Considering I'm directly responsible for no small part of the current problem, I'll try to purge a few sites of thralls on my next turn if they don't go down in the meantime.)

Other than that, good luck Unraveller!
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2434 on: November 07, 2022, 02:46:49 pm »

Alright' so to address the elephant in the room.

I'll be upfront about it' I did all the blight-spreading intentionally' out of belief that there is not enough peril left after the many rampages of different adventurers. There are no more necromancers' very few night creatures' not that many bandits anymore; we also don't have to deal with bogeymen in this version' which' while sometimes irritating' made the old DF experience all the more tense and exciting. Nowadays' the world felt a bit too placid' or so I thought.

However' I do understand not everyone likes this old-school' hardcore' blood-and-guts way of playing DF; hell' I wouldn't want my peaceful scholar type character to die horribly at the first town visited too. So in fairness I might have gone a little overboard. I wasn't keeping track of how many towns I infected' although the fact that I thought at the time that I was being too conservative definitely seems ridiculous now.

I'm not in favor of putting a hard rule against the further spread of blight' but I think it would be common sense to put it on hold for now. The forces of darkness have made their move' let's see how the living respond to that. The world would do best with a happy balance being perilous but not unplayable.

As for other matters also:

Submission is: Okirramtak' 'The Elder Execution'' the iron morningstar' retrieved from the tomb of Amala Fragrantshaft. So far used by three adventurers' wonder if it could end up being stolen from The Museum and used Stalkmatches style? The future will tell.

Now that could be interesting, especially as Stalkmatches seems to have gone quiet again. Kinda tempted to borrow the weapon and do as such. Always did want to give that weapon a swing or two.

Hopefully you won't be dissuaded' Avolition' but Okirramtak is not a very effective weapon. It tends to kill in a slow' messy way. It definitely has a lot of history attached to it' and a sentient' evil weapon should not be left to rust' so personally' I'd love to see it in use.

Also' if Stalkmatches is dormant' I may pick up the save' actually' do a casual run. I still have my writeups to finish though' as well as many in this very game' so I might try to overcome my chronic writer's block first.

Regarding save: did you archive it with WinRar, then set at best compression method?

Edit: The unarchived save is actually 2.00 giga vs. 2.06 giga last save. So it's probably an archiving issue.

Huh' can't recall' really. It was night and I was tired when I was uploading' so I may have to double-check.

I just had a thought: so there are by now quite a few adventurers of the Museum that have done terrible things (the blight was spread by a few already, then there's the vampirism and necromancy reviving creatures to run around attacking the living) and becoming an adventurer of the Museum strictly prohibits you from attacking a fellow adventurer. So how does this impact the Museum's image in Orid Xem? People already know about Raki and they probably know he went insane as a result of seeing the Museum's exhibits (Midas touched on that as well). Also, the Museum's in-game journals are theoretically open to any travelers, so anyone can read and transcribe mentions of the horrors adventurers brought on the land. How are the people of Orid Xem who know about everything regard the Museum now after almost 2 and half century of existence, the adventurers etc.? How many know? Do the courts, Kings, Queen, Law-Givers know? It's an interesting question.

We also have many of the Monarchs who ruled since the 8th century onward slayed by Museum adventurers, as well as a few who could perceived as coupists (in fact, I think Bralbaard is the only one who ascended without actions towards the title on his part).

It's a very interesting thing' and personally' I view The Museum as somesort Mount Olympus' and the adventurers as Greek gods. Sometimes helpful' sometimes harmful' very powerful and very' very capricious; involving themselves in the world out of amusement more than anything. So' I'd say it could be viewed as something above and beyond the normalcy of Orid Xem. In a meta way' it also ties to the conspiracy theory that Armok is actually the player' creating and discarding endless planets for their own !!FUN!!; while some adventurers are clearly driven by the world's internal logic' some seem to only want to push the borders of what can be done with their given plane of existence. Hell' Hannibal is probably one of this sort' living to reshape the world in accord with his own gruesome vision where ghouls take the place of the living.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2435 on: November 07, 2022, 03:08:20 pm »

Submission is: Okirramtak' 'The Elder Execution'' the iron morningstar' retrieved from the tomb of Amala Fragrantshaft. So far used by three adventurers' wonder if it could end up being stolen from The Museum and used Stalkmatches style? The future will tell.

Now that could be interesting, especially as Stalkmatches seems to have gone quiet again. Kinda tempted to borrow the weapon and do as such. Always did want to give that weapon a swing or two.

Hopefully you won't be dissuaded' Avolition' but Okirramtak is not a very effective weapon. It tends to kill in a slow' messy way. It definitely has a lot of history attached to it' and a sentient' evil weapon should not be left to rust' so personally' I'd love to see it in use.

Also' if Stalkmatches is dormant' I may pick up the save' actually' do a casual run. I still have my writeups to finish though' as well as many in this very game' so I might try to overcome my chronic writer's block first.
Honestly Avolition Holyblood has used books, body parts and even goblin corpses as weapons so i think it would work fine. Although he might have sights also on a certain axe. Will see how everyone elses turns play out as it tends to influence what i do that turn.

and nice
The return of the thin white duke, throwing darts in lovers eyes

Drunken scholar

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2436 on: November 07, 2022, 04:20:57 pm »

Finally managed to get the first part of my turn 92 writeup done; decided to go for a bit more of a dialogue-based introduction this time.

c. 26th Hematite, 899

It was early in the morning when a group of strangers came to the hamlet of Anguishrooted. They were three in number, all of them mounted on horseback, riding from the rain-lashed plains southwards of the small village.

The first of them was dressed in the manner of a noble gentleman, his clothing bearing the seal of some noble bloodline high upon the collar. His pointed beard, arched eyebrows, and broad grin lent a faintly devilish cast to his features, sharply contrasted by the marks of integrity and strength that dominated the rest of his expression. One of his ringed hands rested lightly on the handle of a finely-crafted iron longsword, while the other held a polished copper shield bearing the seal of Omon Obin’s Law-Giver.

At his side stood a tall, hooded young lady in the clerical dress of Bikda’s devotees, her pallid skin and hair contrasted by the deep sable of her roughspun robes. The gloved fingers of her left hand rested upon the leather-wrapped grip of a simple bronze shortsword, while her right clutched a small, dented copper buckler. Her robes shifted slightly as she ticked her head from side to side, amber eyes flicking warily across the snow-dusted buildings as the group advanced into the hamlet.

The other was a broken, savage reflection of her comrade. A deep scar ran from her forehead to her jaw, like a portrait crossed out in a fit of violent temper; her nose was a smashed stump, her mouth wrenched sideways into a permanent snarl, and her single eye stared out of the wreckage, as cold and grey as mountain stone. Across her broad shoulders she carried a mighty bronze axe, the head ground to a razor-sharp edge and speckled here and there with the residue of past battles, the notched haft a testament of the past battles and hardships she had endured in her travels.

Few came from their houses to greet the newcomers; those who did approached them furtively, as though fearing one of them would suddenly lash out and strike for daring to draw too close. Only one of the hamlet’s populace dared draw closer than arm’s length: a grim, grey-haired man of some sixty seasons, his skin mottled and lined with age. He looked up into the face of the group’s leader, expression tense with nerves and the effort of moving in the freezing cold.

“Greetings, sire,” The old man intoned, bowing his head toward the newly arrived group. “You… you are the Law-Giver’s soldiers?”

The inquisitor chucked lightly and responded, his voice tinged with the rich accent of Omon Obin’s old nobility.

“That they are, sir; lady Dubmith of The Feathered Creed,” He motioned toward the young, hooded woman, who responded with a slight nod. “And lady Thadar Charcoaltwists, of The Doctrines of Wax.” The axe-wielder sneered in reply, baring her teeth in a snarling, mock-friendly grin. Her fingers drummed up and down on her axe’s shaft, impatiently.

“I – I thank the gods that you have come, sir. My letter—”

“Yes, your letter did reach us.” The tall man answered his unspoken question with an almost airy gesture of the hand, liquid black eyes affixed upon the hamlet’s lord. “But it spoke only of foul occurrences and unexplained deaths, and not of the cause. So, my good man – what have we been called here for?”

“Th– there is a sorcerer within this village, sire.” The hamlet’s master mumbled, stumbling over his words in his haste to speak. “A man who has never left his house after he first came to this place. He – our milk was soured… Our animals died in the droves, by thrall attack and disease alike. His house carries the stench of poison and rot at all hours of the day. And his herbal mixtures – all who drink them, driven to maddened bloodthirst, like a thrall of the Blight! He—”

“My good sir,” The leader of the group cut the burgomaster off mid-stream, a note of hardness coming into his voice. More of the village had gathered, now, seemingly drawn in by the dialogue and the lack of an obvious threat. “As pleasant as this discourse has been, I dare hope you did not petition our aid to merely speak of malefic things. Where in this… charming place does the creature make its dwelling?”

“Here.” The master of the hamlet raised a finger, pointing to a single house’s door. It was marked with a simple ashen cross, in the manner of a house stricken by the Blight.

Gasin exchanged a glance with Thadar and Dubmith, then smiled slightly and nodded sharply toward the door. Thadar grinned, hefted her massive bronze axe upon one shoulder, and promptly delivered a strong blow to the door with base of the weapon’s shaft, accompanied by a thunderous bellow:

“Open this door, traitor!”

Several long, tense moments passed without so much as a peep from behind the weathered wooden door. The mob of villagers shifted and seethed uncertainly behind the trio, their mutters and whispers becoming a low, hissing tide in their ears. Thadar’s fingers drummed tensely on her axe’s bronze shaft; Gasin’s hand fell to the longsword at his side; Dubmith silently tightened her hold on the leather-wrapped grip of her copper-bladed sword, her entire body tensed in readiness to strike. Moments stretched out to minutes as they continued to wait, the gathering growing even more restless all the while.

Gasin was moments from ordering Thadar to bash down the door outright when it finally opened, revealing the house’s occupant: a middle-aged man in dirty, tattered clothes, reeking of dirt and herbal mixtures. Something flashed across his face at the sight of the three of them and the half-rabid mob behind them, but it was swiftly gone, replaced with a serene, welcoming expression more than likely intended to disarm their hostility toward him.

“Good day, sirs. What business brings you to my humble abode?”

“Kosoth Heatlions. By the authority of the Law-Giver, you stand accused of the practice of necromancy, and spreading the Obin Blight; of sealing a covenant with the dark Powers, and of performing diverse acts of sorcery and corruption through which you have afflicted the hamlet of Anguishrooted.”

There was a low rumble of agreement from the gathered villagers. Kosoth did his best to appear underwhelmed.

“Forgive me, sire, but I fear you and your companions have wasted a journey. I am no more than a mere herbalist. I garden; I create remedies and herbal mixtures.” He underscored his words with a gesture to the muddy ground beside the house, where a few plants’ shoots were beginning to poke up through the wet soil.

“Aye, I can believe that,” Gasin laughed, exchanging a look with the tall, hooded woman beside him. “A mixture of lies and black corruption is what you have created, and spread most subtly throughout this village.”

Kosoth resisted the urge to roll his eyes. The man antagonising him wore his smugness so plainly that Kosoth halfway expected him to take a bow. The crowd growled and muttered around him, a few shouting out half-incomprehensible accusations that were drowned out by the murmur. One of Gasin’s eyes twitched with impatience as he waited for the crowd to calm.

“I assure you, sir, that I bear no such malice toward you or any other person of this realm. Please, do come in that we might talk like civilized men.”

“Aye, we will certainly come into your house.” His liquid black eyes narrowed to slits as he moved closer, fingers dancing upon the hilt of his longsword. Dubmith and Thadar advanced with him, circling like wolves behind their master. “Though we would be fools to accept your hospitality.”

There – a tiny shift in his face, a twitch of the eyebrow and a tightening of the jaw. Kosoth’s face hardened as he spoke, but Gasin knew his words had drawn metaphorical blood. “If it is evidence of treachery and Blight you seek, you will not find it here.”

“But of course,” Gasin hissed, eyes flashing with lethal intent. His lips curled back into a shark-toothed grin. “No doubt the dark Powers with which you traffick have taught you much of how to conceal your arts.”

“Should you find whatever proof you seek, I am damned; should you fail, I am held to have concealed it and damned regardless?” Kosoth laughed aloud, cold and ringing. “And here I thought I was the tricksy one! Your creativity does your delusions credit, sir, if nothing else.”

“You can conceal your apparatus, traitor,” Gasin’s grin was now much colder, an element of malevolence slipping into it. He was inches away from Kosoth, now, bringing with him the scent of iron and smoke. “But not your deeds.”

Gasin suddenly lunged forward, seizing Kosoth’s wrist with a gloved hand, pulling him out through the doorway and tearing the sleeve away from his arm in one smooth motion. The crowd gasped as one, staring at the markings on Kosoth’s rapidly prickling skin.

“Look upon this, gentlefolk!” Gasin crowed, jabbing a finger toward his captive’s bare arm. “The treacherous sorcerer’s mark, seal of his dark pacts! Who is to say how many vile spells he has cast upon you all already?”

Kosoth looked toward the discoloured skin a few inches down from his wrist. It still hadn’t healed after he’d spilled some boiling water on it, nearly two weeks back.

“This is madness!” Kosoth snapped. His eyes flashed across the villagers’ faces, but there was nothing upon them but hate, fear, and simple ignorance. “That’s a burn, you fool; show me a cook or herbalist in this village without a similar mark!”

“Still he denies the truth, even with the evidence plain for all of you to see! Lies! Wicked lies!”

The mob roared at his words. Stones, mud, and animal dung began to fly, pelting Kosoth’s small cottage and spattering against his already dirtied robes. Gasin gestured grandly with a hand, his scarred compatriot stepping forward in response.

“Bind him, lady Thadar, while I search this treacherous creature’s lodgings. Whatever lies within, I fear, is to be a terrible sight indeed.” Gasin turned with those words, cloak swirling dramatically about his shoulders as he marched into Kosoth’s house. Thadar wasted no time in tightening a gauntleted hand around Kosoth’s throat, firm enough to keep him in place without cutting off his air supply. The mob seethed around them, pulsing and shifting about like a living thing.

Several long minutes passed before Gasin emerged from the house out into the wan daylight. While his grin hadn’t faded, there was now a more overtly predatory note to it, and a tightness to his features that would betray his feelings to a watchful eye as he marched toward the group again. Thadar’s grip on her prisoner’s throat tightened.

“Where is he?” Gasin asked.

Kosoth simply stared up at him, features betraying neither defiance nor panic. Gasin stepped closer, nodding sharply toward his companions. Once again, Thadar’s fingers tightened, bronze-clad fingers pressing against Kosoth’s windpipe.

“Speak,” Gasin commanded.

Kosoth merely cocked his head. Thadar let out a soft hiss of annoyance, tightening her grip once again.

“Speak.”

Kosoth did not. Thadar could feel his pulse through her fingers, now, pounding hard against the half-strangling hand wrapped around his throat.

“Perhaps, gentlefolk, this is a fool as well as a traitor!” Gasin called out to the villagers around him, seizing Kosoth by the jaw and forcing his head upright. “I will ask you again: Where. Is. He.”

It was only then that Kosoth reacted. He turned his head to stare at Thadar; his mouth opened to form words, yet not a whisper came out. She leaned in close to hear what he had to say, close enough that her breath could be felt on his impassive face. Thadar cocked her head to the side, a mocking smile coming across her face as she began to speak.

“Wh-”

Without warning the man jerked his head forward, driving a strong headbutt into the side of her head. Grunting in pain, Thadar staggered backward into Dubmith and collapsed in an ungainly tangle of limbs with an undignified yelp, head ringing like a bell from the sudden impact. Kosoth wasted no time in surging forward toward Gasin, the gleam of a wickedly sharp iron carving knife appearing in one hand as he scrambled over the debris on the floor. Gasin swore aloud and reached for his sword, fingers closing around the leather-wrapped handle the exact moment that the knife buried itself up to the handle between his ribs.

Kosoth bared his teeth in savage triumph, only for the expression to be literally wiped off his face as a hard blow from Thadar sent several teeth flying from his gums. Her features pulled into a tight mask of fury, the axewoman wasted no time in driving punches repeatedly into Kosoth’s chest and face, striking every inch of available flesh with her copper-mailed fists. Bone cracked and blood flew as the metal rings caught against exposed flesh, sending her master’s attacker sprawling to the dirt floor. She fell on him, snarling and spitting curses with every breath, rolling about in the mud as her target regained his bearings and started fighting back.

Around them, chaos reigned supreme. The villagers had been strung to the pitch of violent panic by the discovery of a Blight-making traitor in their midst; the witch-hunter’s theatrical manner and the spectacle of the whole affair had further stoked their emotions to a turbulent boil. The sudden violence was enough to pitch them wholly over the edge; within moments of Gasin’s fall the crowd devolved into a thrashing mass of bodies as people rushed this way and that, many trying to rush away from the vicious brawl and bowling one another over in their haste to get away. A few, braver citizens remained, making half-hearted motions to push through the crowd and seize Kosoth, but none truly daring to come within striking range of the thrashing pair upon the ground.

Dubmith swore aloud and pushed herself upright, shoving her way through to where Gasin was slumped on one knee. His face was fixed in a grimace of pain, jaw tightly contracted as he pressed a shred of cloth against the ragged wound in his side. Murmuring an old mantra to herself, she rapidly withdrew a medicinal poultice from one of the pockets of her robe, pressing the herb-soaked cloth gently against the weeping cut. 

A few long moments passed before Gasin pushed himself upright, gritting his teeth slightly as Dubmith moved to support him with one arm. He blinked a few times, swaying unsteadily as he tried to regain his footing. “I… It will be alright. My wound is not serious.”

Dubmith seemed sceptical, but nodded her head in the affirmative nonetheless and moved with her master, helping him limp over to where Kosoth lay on the ground, pinned in a half-strangling headlock with Thadar’s armoured knee on his back.  She looked up at his approach, giving him a tight nod before wrenching her captive’s head upright to stare at the towering figure of Gasin. Kosoth shot him a look of mingled defiance and hatred in reply, making sure to spit at him before Thadar let out an irascible growl and slammed his head back into the muddy ground.

“This creature,” He announced, some of his earlier bombast returning. “Is a plague. Left alone, he will bring blight and death down on us all. And as any physic shall tell you, gentlefolk, there is only one sure way to prevent blight.” He turned to the hamlet’s population, cautiously watching on now that the sudden fight was done. Gasin felt an involuntary smile come to his face as he spoke the next words. “Fire.”

The hamlet was grey with ash and smoke. The frequent rains of Omon Obin were having little effect on the stubborn coating of ash and the cloying, acrid scent of charred flesh and burnt wood, even after an hour or two of constant downpour. It was the peasants’ own damn fault – they’d been far too enthusiastic to deliver justice to the traitor in their midst, and the bonfire had been all too large. Most had returned to the safety of their simple homes by now, exhausted by the events of the day.

Four remained behind despite the constant drizzle of half-frozen rain, standing at the edge of the ashes where the pyre had stood. Gasin was upright and moving, though his midsection was wrapped with bandages and his clothes soaked through. Dubmith and Thadar flanked him, the latter standing ready to support him if the wound in his side began to trouble him. Just behind the group was the village’s mayor, who kept coughing and spluttering as the drifting grey flakes caught in his throat and nose.

“I thank the Lady you came here, ser.” The peasant mumbled, wringing water out of his tattered cap. Gasin seemed not to hear him, his eyes fixed on the charred circle where the pyre had stood.

“Odd, wasn’t he?”

“Beg pardon, ser?”

“The traitor.” Gasin placed a hand to his chin, speaking more to himself than anything else. His brow was furrowed in open consternation and thought. “Usually, they’re raving madmen bent on dying for some imaginary glory, or cowards that break in moments. But this one…” He shook his head. “Didn’t want to give up a thing, did he?”

“No, ser. Must’ve been in thick with the wicked powers, to the very end.” The old man shuddered and touched a hand to the symbol of Otu Lovelycherished hanging around his neck, whispering a prayer as he did so.

Gasin’s clenched jaw twitched. He’d hoped that his methods would have brought his quarry out of hiding, or at least provoked Heatlions into spilling his guts. The pressure of a half-crazed mob and the grand bombast of his performance was usually enough to unnerve his quarry, to the point where most were confessing long before the first fire was lit. But this one had been too stubborn, too defiant for even the threat and deed of the pyre to open his lips.

Now he was left with nothing to interrogate but a pile of cooling ashes, and no leads of proper substance to pursue. Whatever evidence might have been in the house had been hidden so well even he couldn’t find it, and the fire that had swept through the village had reduced it to a charred shell. There was nothing more he could do here.

Gasin sighed aloud, turning carefully in place to face the village’s master.

“Well, our duty here is concluded, my good sir.” He intoned, already limping away from the ashes. His compatriots trailed behind him, Dubmith hanging back to give a more polite farewell to the man, Thadar marching beside him with her axe in her hands and a belligerent scowl on her face. Clouds of grey dust and ash drifted around them with every step they took.

Once they were out of earshot and sight of the village’s remaining inhabitants, Thadar let loose with her frustrations, hammering the heavy bronze blade of her axe into a nearby tree-trunk.

“Six weeks!” She practically exploded, levering the axe free and immediately sending a second swing into the frosty bark. Chips pinged off her armour. “Six damned weeks, and our only lead goes up in flames! Poxy, worthless sons of --!”

“Calm yourself, ‘dar.” Dubmith grumbled, setting herself down on an old tree-stump and propping her head up with one hand. She shifted uncomfortably as the hard wood dug into the bruises along the back of her legs and hips. “This is a setback, nothing more.”

Thadar swung around to face her comrade-in-arms, eyes ablaze beneath her leather cap. Her furrowed face, fixed into its usual ruined scowl, was twisted with further frustration and smeared with ash from the burned houses as Thadar marched to stand nose-to-nose with the smaller woman.

“And how,” she ground out, voice thick with sarcastic bite, “do you suggest we proceed from here, little Dubmith? Can you create a trail from thin air, that we might continue to track our quarry? Have you some hidden pouch of clues, or a scroll to magically enlighten us to where we should go next?”

Dubmith closed her eyes, breath hissing out between her teeth as she fought to restrain her temper.

“No, but your anger will do nothing but delay!” She jabbed a finger toward Thadar’s ruined, snarling face as her compatriot stepped closer to her. “If the trail is lost, we must find it again.” And then, to the nobleman leading them: “Ser Crewcanyons, surely there was some clue or evidence within the traitor’s abode?”

Gasin sighed aloud. As if putting on that theatrical performance earlier was not tiring enough, there was now growing a deep, throbbing pain behind his eyes that was about the same size, shape, and volume as one Thadar Charcoaltwists.

“Aye,” He said, firmly. “We are not off their trail yet.”

At Thadar’s incredulous look Gasin carefully reached into his pack and withdrew a thin volume, bound in tattered leather and held together with crude stitching. He tapped a finger against the cover. “We have the thread that shall lead us to the traitor’s hearts.”

“I cannot say I follow your words, sire,” Dubmith rose from her stump, peering closely at the cover. Her features creased in confusion for a few moments, before suddenly alighting in realisation. “Ah! A journal?”

“The traitor’s journal, my comrade.” The edge of Gasin’s mouth quirked into an expression that might have been mistaken for a smile. “And in it, our very next destination.” 
« Last Edit: November 12, 2022, 02:02:25 pm by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:rugged beard]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2437 on: November 07, 2022, 04:57:17 pm »

Museum Submission:

51. The twin heads of the ettin Zoku Knightedsheen the Sensual Silk-Call: the last of the ettins, slain in 712 by Thon Scarone and raised as a putrid ghoul in 797, terror of many dwarven forts. Fell for the final time to the mighty Godenrigoth, by the hand of Moldath Mournsaints.
The Hateful Two-head of Menace, an iron breastplate: It is dented and caked in filth, but the blueberry bush symbol of the Walled Dye is still visible. This iron breastplate was torn from a valiant defender of the deepfolk, and used by the ettin Zoku Knightedsheen to slay five dwarves in his rampage on Falsetower.

Forts Visited (forts visited a 2nd time not listed):

Secrethome
Crystalworship the Temple of Vultures
Urnways

For attention of Bralbaard - I see you have updated the first page recently. I think the 4th link of my Turn 91 is not linking to my final entry on page 160, and you've missed my submission for that turn, which I have quoted above.

Love the start to your thrall-infused story QD.

Looks like there will be plenty of ghouls to slay in coming turns thanks to the Ghoul Father!
Wow. I believe Kesperan has just won adventurer mode.

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2438 on: November 07, 2022, 05:14:05 pm »

Re: Not enough peril. I really think you're looking, intentionally or not, to God-tier adventurers like Moldath or Avolition. I feel most players are casuals at adventure mode. Hell, someone starting for fun/roleplaying as kobold, gremlin, weak-animal-man or even goblin will be splattered by the first angry mob in the game. Remember Imic in turn 2 got splattered by a goblin. We're not all God-tier adventurers to not be splattered at the first blighted thrall.

Another issue I see is that every time we activate a site, we'll activate another massacre. Even if we don't stay long around to see its end. You remember how bored people were by that post-apocalyptic scenery with empty villages? Well, prepare for those to multiply (by 2, 3, 5?) the next century. The blight has reduced Adilatir to 300 dwarves. How fun will it be playing in all the other nations if they're similarly depopulated? Everyone's howlering laughing at the genocide of elves. So at this rate, in the next century or so, we won't have any more elves except undead. Is that going to make the world more fun?

I remember starting playing just expecting to die in the wilderness and to start fortress mode. Lurker Onecbehal surviving gave me the interest in adventure mode, to see where he or other adventurers will go after they took something of value to the Museum. If I just play every time just to be ganked at the first encounter with a thrall, I might as well prepare myself to play my turn just for the fortress mode again. So, should I kill my interest in adventure mode again?

And, when they see that getting something to the Museum will be impossible, how many new people will join to try? How many will stay?

Your call, folks.

In more (uplifting?) different news, look at this insane war happening during Yarlig's turn:

https://imgur.com/a/qkzG9Rp

So the Most Sin attacks Mischieflaws and kills everyone... then this forgotten beast shows up and wrecks everybody's day! Then they go to Atticmuffins, their leader is this troll, he kills a lot of people (mostly goblins, interestingly enough) before being wounded and imprisoned by the group Kothvir founded. This is insanity.

Edit: The forgotten beast kept the dwaven group nominally alive that 5 gremlins rose to nobles, keeping the fort going.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 05:21:12 pm by Lurker Z »

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2439 on: November 07, 2022, 05:37:12 pm »

Yay! The Greatest Attic of Muffins, rulers of Atticmuffins, stem the tide of goblin brutality!

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2440 on: November 07, 2022, 06:21:57 pm »

The Winter of Rusna Springblossom the Gulf of Liberties

It had been years since my original journey, i have gained the nickname the gulf of Liberies after facing and slaying many night trolls. I had made the south of Orid Xem much more safer. The tundra of heros being a great divide that most won't travel will allow the south to be secure against the night hags of the north. My axe is strong and has kept me alive thus far but the cost on my body has been quite damaging. I am littered with scars and missing half of my teeth. Fucking night hags i tell you, always going for my teeth. I decided to travel back to the museum. My bandilier of night hag skulls on tightly as i make my way towards boltspumpkin. I had planned on making a donation and nothing could be better that these diamonds. The only crop of black diamond in Orid Xem that we had dug up, they were handcraved into an octogon cut. They were truly a masterpiece of The Page of Tiredness embodying the four dwarven traits of power, charisma, certainty, and passion. The power was embodied by the toughness of the gemstone, solid and ridged like dwarven constitution. The Charisma was its beauty, its clean octagonal cuts allowed clear windows into its dark inky abyss alluring the eyes to sink into the void. Certainty is its very existance, solid, eternal and everlasting. The gems will outlive me, as i expire and become nothing. My bones crumbling to mere grains of sand as The Autumnal Desert consumes the land. They will still be there. Lastly was passion, worked on by the finest craftsdwarf, the work took several hours of detailed meticulous work to make them flawless and perfect in design.

As i wanded ever closer i thought of my journey. The world was cruel, i recall As Brunchsiege. The goblin who i should of put out of his misery but i couldn't. He was kind and welcoming. Whilst it was obvious he wasn't fully all there. It was understandible, he had gone through alot. I still recal our reaction upon seeing him, poor Agal seemed out of it.

The dwarf regaled us with his story, once a skilled swordsman working for The Axes of Time. They were a nomadic group founded hundreds of years ago. He had joined and served under the last human commander before serving the goblin Sor Masterednotched, the two were friendly and were the last of the group. One hundred years later, whilst As was out on patrol, a friendish demon of many limbs killed her and left him the sole survivor of The Axes of Time. He was now the commander but of what. He waited for new recruits or an envoy from another civilization requesting aid but it never came. He had seen two dwarves pop in but they didn't stay long but then came a human. He did not catch his name nor recalled much about his. First his eyes were sliced, blinding him, he paniced and tried to run but felt imense pain as both his left and right hand were severed from the wrist. He was sliced several times until the human sliced his lower body open. The human yanked on his guts and with a pricise cut, removed them from the goblins body. He passed out and came too to find he couldn't hear the human presence anymore. He waited there in silence and flith desperatly trying to make it out.

We felt pity, especially once we had both spotted the cruel display of both the goblins hands and guts on display like some sick artshow. We began to clean up and fed him some of our food supply. We had asked what he wanted us to do as i offered to join his group. He wanted us to clear insighthexes and promised a reward for us. We headed over to the pit expecting goblins but just six feral beak dogs. We returned with news but he had forgotten who we were. I thought it was a joke said made up a group name and pretended to claim it and he believed me. Powerless to fight back, he just slumped down and didn't fight it. I told him it was a joke before we departed to Ironwards. It was a year later before a letter from The Knowing Deceiver made me a lady of them. Poor As had been true to his word and i felt such sorrow for the goblin, such shame as he would make an excellent leader and could end the war with The Knowing Deceiver.

It also reminded me as Agal Sprinkleprotent, the mighty Maceman, he was a great defender. Whilst he had never killed anything he kept beasts and bay and had helped protect me numerous times. I had picked him up at Murderhelp, he was a religous traveler. He was a kind by oftem Macrbe fellow. He was on a religous journey like myself but whilst i let Shatags seasons guide me. He was searcing for answers from Kas Bannershocked, from what i learned later he was a human god of travelers, war and death. He said that he felt some pull and wanted to follow it to see what travels would Kas Bannershocked would lead him on. Ofcourse when we made it to Ironwards and desended down into hell. He broke, i don't know what happened he just ran out of the gate and instantly engaged an iguana demon. I knew they were too dangerous, i tried my beast to take down the demon to save Agal but it was no use, he was babbling like a maniac. Screaming about "A blind savior will save him" and "I will be reborn stronger" before being beaten to a plup. The demon was slain and i knew that it was too much for him, his mind and beliefs had broken his mind. It was too much, i let out a prayer to shatag to guide his spirit to peace. As i spent days culling the demons that had encrouched futher closer towards the outpost.

I will return down there and take up the post once more but for now the world is safe from a demon incursion. I have taken up residence nearby at Boltspumkin. With its close proximity and countless artifacts. Its a key place to defend if the worse is to occur.

Drunken scholar

Yarlig

• Bay Watcher
  • High Master Procrastinator
    • View Profile
« Reply #2441 on: November 07, 2022, 06:25:51 pm »

Re: Not enough peril. I really think you're looking, intentionally or not, to God-tier adventurers like Moldath or Avolition. I feel most players are casuals at adventure mode. Hell, someone starting for fun/roleplaying as kobold, gremlin, weak-animal-man or even goblin will be splattered by the first angry mob in the game. Remember Imic in turn 2 got splattered by a goblin. We're not all God-tier adventurers to not be splattered at the first blighted thrall.

Another issue I see is that every time we activate a site, we'll activate another massacre. Even if we don't stay long around to see its end. You remember how bored people were by that post-apocalyptic scenery with empty villages? Well, prepare for those to multiply (by 2, 3, 5?) the next century. The blight has reduced Adilatir to 300 dwarves. How fun will it be playing in all the other nations if they're similarly depopulated? Everyone's howlering laughing at the genocide of elves. So at this rate, in the next century or so, we won't have any more elves except undead. Is that going to make the world more fun?

I remember starting playing just expecting to die in the wilderness and to start fortress mode. Lurker Onecbehal surviving gave me the interest in adventure mode, to see where he or other adventurers will go after they took something of value to the Museum. If I just play every time just to be ganked at the first encounter with a thrall, I might as well prepare myself to play my turn just for the fortress mode again. So, should I kill my interest in adventure mode again?

And, when they see that getting something to the Museum will be impossible, how many new people will join to try? How many will stay?

I do understand and respect your points; I actually remember my first adventure here in this Museum; I spent around two hours designing my character' Lic Orderblood' and planning out the basics of an adventure. Less than an hour of gameplay later' I was dead' massacred by three howling freaks. So yeah' been there' too.

To address your points more clearly though' I was actually thinking more of a challenge for mid-to-upper-mid-tier adventurers; Moldath' Avolition' et al could realistically only be threatened by other adventurers' or demons. As for the lower level characters' there's always the option of running away. And sometimes' it's the best choice' to weave around the danger. Playing as Lic' I should've avoided the fight' but I got too cocky then and it ended in my downfall.

The depopulation' well' I mostly do agree; however' I think the real beauty of Orid Xem lies in its constant' incremental evolution' and its ever-changing nature. Even if entire villages or towns were to disappear' we can always stage a repopulation attempt' like what Maloy has been doing lately. There are options to play human civilizations in fort mode screen; you can always bring more people to the world and resettle them in towns. We could have entire kingdoms brought back from the brink of destruction with adventurers as the harbingers and leaders' just as the world came back from near-death in the first place. We've worked through so many things' we can work through this too.

These are just my counterpoints' you may agree with them or not; I do appreciate your contribution and agree that I might have went too hard going full heel. Whatever has happened and happens' it's important those issues are being addressed and that we may follow a more balanced path in the future' hopefully.

AvolitionBrit

• Bay Watcher
  • Funk to Funky
    • View Profile
« Reply #2442 on: November 07, 2022, 06:34:47 pm »

So outside of my past turns posting. Part of the fort i had raisied all the necromancer towers but in addition to that i had sent squads of dwarves to inhabit new sites and i had just noticed that one of the places i claimed and populated Sculptedshovel was empty so i looked at what they did and they lauched a expedtion to "reclaim" The Depths of Rasping. I didn't know they would of their own action claim these sites, interesting. I suppose dwarves would perfer a cave over an old fort. I think its because one of the dwarfs became a warlord, then made a squad of the remaining 8 dwarves to send out to reclaim the cave. If they are still around on my next turn definitly sending more dwarves her way. Melbil Copperblocks, seems to know what to do.

The other site (pits) i claimed still have the populations of dwarves unmoved. So if you are around the south its certainly got some more population and is more safer.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2022, 06:41:37 pm by AvolitionBrit »

Drunken scholar

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2443 on: November 08, 2022, 11:14:26 am »

My heart nearly skipped a beat hearing what had once again befallen the glorious Realm of Silver, can we know no peace, is this blight without end!? As I begin my turn, I pray for the safety of Omon Obin's twin heirs Irka Tinsabre and Rimtil Minetwinkle as they've been summoned from their prospective religious positions in Streammartyred to the capital castle of Silverthrone and Weatherponder. . .

Also playing up the zealous inquisition angle eh QD? Me like. Truly now we need unwavering resolve to root out this blight. . . Even if I well know the dark truths of where your characters will end up. :P
« Last Edit: November 08, 2022, 11:18:41 am by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

kesperan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2444 on: November 08, 2022, 11:26:22 am »

Old Jas must be getting on a bit now, although I think humans can live up to 120 years old in DF. I wonder which of his progeny will take up the mantle?
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 [163] 164 165 ... 263