Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 263

Author Topic: Museum III, adventure succession game (DF 0.47.05)  (Read 409403 times)

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Museum III, adventure succession game
« Reply #2580 on: December 01, 2022, 05:04:30 pm »

I don't know what that is, and I couldn't see any explanation of how to do it through the link.
Huh, I was sure the reddit link was around there. Try this more mundane explanation.
https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/sd7r9w/comment/hupo8x7/?utm_source=reddit&utm_medium=web2x&context=3
Go to a workshop (I use Mason's Workshop). Queue up a statue (q → u) then specify details (d) → Specify image → Related to historical figure → f → Write the last name and you'll find the name of the creature in its original language.

Where are these names coming from? Are they all the commanders of the Realm of Silver? Most of the commanders aren't traveling, I'm looking for the soldiers that are.
They're all the names of the Commanders that Legends Viewer has assimilated with Law-Givers:

https://i.imgur.com/dNOI5RI.png

All 80 of them. Some might be dead, I haven't checked.

Aaaaaaand it looks like those aren't all of them, there's more than a dozen listed here (which are not the same as those assimilated to Law-Givers:

https://i.imgur.com/E7dvJpr.png

FFS, game...

Edit: I updated my previous post with these new commanders. FFS game...
« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 05:22:17 pm by Lurker Z »
Sigtext updated 13-03-2024.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2581 on: December 01, 2022, 05:21:58 pm »

Well I snapped the travellers out of existence, but it's back to freezing on the 6th so that wasn't it. One other thing I did earlier that I didn't mention was controlling Jas and having him give in to starvation. Maybe his death was what let it advance a few days.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2022, 06:39:16 pm by nogoodnames »
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2582 on: December 01, 2022, 05:27:34 pm »

Well I snapped the travellers out of existence, but it's back to freezing on the 6th so that wasn't it.
That's a shame.

Would it be too tedious to just kill all the commanders and see if it works? There's something about all of them that's obviously borking the game.

There’s also a second Elot Bridgedwire (118195) but I think he just has the same name by coincidence so I left him alone.
There's a lot of that going on, it's even worse with goblins. I've found a bunch of goblins with identical first and last names in both languages. There are at least... off the top of my head... only from what I've just found, mind you, at least 20 pairs of 2 creatures with identical names, as well as around (and possibly at least) 5 pairs of 3 creatures with identical names.

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2583 on: December 01, 2022, 05:54:24 pm »

Hmm... well, I tried again and it got to the 15th on the timeskip screen before freezing, which I think is about where it got on the earlier try. I had set it to skip a full year last time so that may have complicated things.

It's progress at least, but there's still something else going on. I'll try poking at a few more things...
Nope, no luck.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2022, 02:42:16 pm by nogoodnames »
                        - Random human lord

Bralbaard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2584 on: December 03, 2022, 01:57:45 pm »

Do you think there is enough progress to keep trying? At some point we may have to revert to when the save was working and continue from there?

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2585 on: December 03, 2022, 04:29:14 pm »

I hope it doesn't come to that, but if it does, how would we do it? Would Unrevaller and Cook do their turns again?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1q12T50MrzvvfTBPL07dMajZLdRECMI_f/view?usp=sharing
Saved exacly 1 tick before the disaster. Maybe that will somehow help
EDIT: Maybe, the exact tick it happens. When retired and set timeskip to 0 tick it crashes
While this save lets me retire, it gets stuck on fortress mode even with tick 0.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 04:46:35 pm by Lurker Z »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2586 on: December 03, 2022, 06:52:22 pm »

Do you think there is enough progress to keep trying? At some point we may have to revert to when the save was working and continue from there?
Well, I'm out of ideas. Unless someone better at debugging DF can figure out what's going on, reverting might be the only option. Do we know for sure the old save is safe and won't break when it gets to same point, though?
                        - Random human lord

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2587 on: December 03, 2022, 06:58:30 pm »

Cook said Turn 96 has no problems.

Whatever happens is probably related to your fort or your character. Skipped about 20 years on turn 96 and nothing happend

What save did you work on, NGN? Because when I retire and try to start up the newest save (the one I quoted above), it stalls before even showing the calendar.

Ok, I'll test for a while. Killed everyone but Jas and Luki. Now let's see what happens.

Nope, still stuck. Let's kill everyone in the other districts too.

There's definitely something strange happening with the commanders. They're all dead, and yet.

The positions just don't want to be emptied. I have 3 full positions with very dead people that the game doesn't want to empty.

...well, let's kill Jas and see what happens.

Nope, no luck. I'm out of ideas.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2022, 07:57:45 pm by Lurker Z »

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2588 on: December 03, 2022, 07:19:26 pm »

What save did you work on, NGN? Because when I retire and try to start up the newest save (the one I quoted above), it stalls before even showing the calendar.
The first one posted that freezes in about a day/
                        - Random human lord

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2589 on: December 04, 2022, 12:44:46 am »

Well, it’s been a while, but now seems as good a time as any to finish writing up Leto’s adventure. Expect a few of these. Previous posts: 1, 2, 3,

From the desk of Leto Searchpraise, Senior Apprentice to the Historian’s Guild
10th Timber, 879

As dawn swept over the land, I felt a bit more hopeful than I had the previous night. So what if I’m a vampire? Is that really such a bad thing? They say the gods created the vampire curse to punish blasphemers, but if this is their idea of a punishment then the gods are even less in touch with the world than I thought. I feel great! Stronger, faster, untiring, no need for food, drink or sleep! The only downsides I’ve noticed are a slight aversion to sunlight (which, to be honest, I already had to some degree) and the blood thirst. So far I have been able to control it. And then there’s the weremammoth in the room: immortality! No longer must my scholarly pursuits be limited to a meagre human lifetime. I will have all the time in the world! Not only to study history, but to watch the march of ages bring it about! I will be the best historian this world has ever seen!!

Dana and I made quick progress back south. She even complimented me on my improved vitality (oh if she only knew the half of it!) But as the day wore on, the blood thirst became more and more of an impediment. It was in that hungry state that we came upon a lone campfire in the hills. Dana sat herself down for a quick meal while I offered to find whoever had set it up. I found the camper just beyond the hill, a robust and well-armed dwarf blissfully napping in the sun. I must confess, seeing them there, so strong yet so helpless, sensing the gentle thrum of their heart as warm blood ebbed and flowed through bulging muscles, I lost control, just for a moment. When I returned to my senses, the dwarf was noticeably paler, but still breathing. Satiated and ashamed, I returned to Dana. I sheepishly suggested that whoever made the fire had left to go hunting, and we returned to our journey.

As we neared the Museum again, Dana asked me where exactly we were headed. I was a bit taken aback. In truth, with all that had happened I hadn’t really been thinking of our destination. After a moments thought, I replied that we would first be headed east, towards Patternedbegun. I still wanted to confirm my theories of the fate of Pictham Contestlabored and prove it to those doubters back in the guild.

“I know a place near ‘ere. It’s in Diptramples. Might be some there who know the lay o’ the land bett’r than yer books.” Dana told me.

I agreed to let her lead the way. We arrived in the town of Diptramples, and beheld a field of gems. The most I’ve ever seen, just out in the open!

“Follow my lead, keep yer head down and don’t. Touch. Anything.” Said Dana.

She carefully traced her way to an unassuming tavern, knocked on the wall three times and stepped inside. I gingerly followed her, but stopped when my foot met something soft and squishy. It was a tiny humanoid creature, dead in the doorway. A gremlin, if I know my subterranean taxonomy.

I poked my head inside. The smell was indescribable. The sight was not at all what I expected. A half-dozen gremlins gathered around a dwarf and reciting bizarre jokes while the dwarf passed judgment. Was this some kind of insane amateur comedy club? And perhaps the body I was standing on belonged to someone who couldn’t hack it.

Dana got the attention of the other dwarf and they started conversing rapidly in a language I didn’t recognize. I busied myself by looking around the room, avoiding eye contact with any of the gremlins. A hatch on the floor caught my glance. Anything seemed better than more gremlin humour, so while no one was looking, I opened the hatch and slipped inside. I thought it would just be a root cellar, but instead I found some kind of secret living area. More gems were stored here, as well as weapons armour, and of course more gremlins. For whatever reason, the ones down here all bore serious expressions. Combined with their grotesque facial features, the overall impression evoked a cross between a severely gassy baby and a pug.

I was about to inspect some of the gems when a hand from above grabbed me by the scruff of the neck.

“The hell ye think you’re doing?! Didja ignore everything I said?!” Hissed Dana, “C’mon, the guildmaster says there’s a scholar or summat stayin’ in the keep. Should know somethin’ ‘bout what we’re after.”

I raised a finger to defend myself, but in the end I did most of all want to get out of that place, so I went quietly. We casually strolled through the streets until we reached the keep at the town centre. No guards seemed to be around, so we walked right in. Inside the keep were a number of treasures and trophies, displayed proudly. There were also gremlins, of course. At the back of the room, nearly hidden in a pile of loot was an ancient-looking gorlak. Quite a rare sight on the surface, but the dwarves say they are highly amiable. I introduced myself, and he answered.

Recognition washed over me. Nom the Cheese, of course! The famous gorlak gourmand! He was one of the earlier adventurers of the Museum, and contributed much of what we know on gorlak culture. By my guess, he would have been born around the same time as my great-great-grandfather, Leto the First! I don’t know how long gorlaks generally live, but that did strike me as exceptional. However, given my recent affliction, I declined to pry.

Nom admitted that he hasn’t done much travelling recently. However, upon hearing my intent to find Pictham’s grave, he laughed and pointed me in the direction of Herograves. I had heard mention of the place, of course, but never in relation to Pictham. I silently swore an oath. If all this time, Pictham had been unceremoniously interred just a short walk away... Well, we had our next stop. I thanked Nom and we went on our way.

The walk to Herograves, was, as expected, quick and easy. To my dismay, even this place of solemn remembrance was infested by gremlins. I blocked them out as best I could and found my way to the main graveyard.

Many coffins lay here, engraved with names I recognized. I suppose a distaste for the macabre had kept me from visiting this place in the past. I cursed my former cowardice. Then I saw it, plain as day. Emblazoned on one coffin, in the runes of the south, there it was: “Pictham Contestlabored”. I knew what I must do. Hands trembling, I reached out and pried back the lid. It came loose with dull thud and...

Nothing.

The coffin was completely barren. Not even some commemorative trinket inside. A strange mixture of relief and bitter disappointment washed over me, and even now I cannot say which was stronger. Was this empty grave left here as tribute? Or did her body really lie here only to be... No. That possibility is too horrible to even contemplate.

I left Herograves with more questions than answers. There is but one place left to search. We must brave the vile necropolis of Patternedbegun!

11th Timber

I am happy to report that our journey to Patternedbegun was relatively uneventful. Despite trudging through leagues of goblin-infested wastelands we made it through unmolested. The sun was getting low in the sky as the great tower came into view, a black scar violating the pre-dusk horizon. I didn’t relish the prospect of night falling while we explored the place, but my desire for vindication urged me on.

It wasn’t long before we spotted the first zombie. A shambling half-rotted goblin, just like the old stories say. It had already spotted us and was slowly approaching. I tried to push back the panic creeping up my throat. Dana gripped her pick and whispered, “Ready?” I could only give a quick nod in reply.

To my surprise, the monstrosity paid me no heed and went straight for Dana. In retrospect, the implication is obvious. These abominations hunt the living, a group I am no longer among. I knew this intellectually, of course, but having it confirmed has still had an impact on me. Regardless, I struck at the zombie with my dagger. I can’t risk Dana making the connection, who knows how she might react to learning I (and Juvar!) are now vampires.

Dana had little trouble dispatching that zombie, or the handful of others we encountered. It was a far cry from the endless hordes of legend. After the first few, my terror began to subside a little. Then we saw the reason for the sparse population. Dana pointed them out to me first, trails of ancient half-buried goblin corpses.

This had to be the trail carved out by Pictham and her companions ages back! We followed it northward. The trail broke up at the base of the great tower. The tower itself appeared to be abandoned, so I decided to risk a look inside. As expected, the necromancers who once lived here lay long dead, slain in the purges of the past. However, the place hadn’t been cleansed as thoroughly as Largetempest to the east. It’s known that necromancers sometimes record the secrets of mastery over death in their books, and I found several with suspect titles. But I dare not read them to confirm my suspicions! I am already damned once over, best not tempt the gods any further. I have all of eternity to let curiosity get the better of me.

There wasn’t much else in the tower beyond books and corpses, so we left and found the trail again. We followed it to the edge of the necropolis. And then I saw it, gleaming on a hill in the setting sunlight...

Pictham’s halberd! The very same she looted from an ancient tomb, so long ago! Her other belongings were there as well. Bits of armour and scattered items, all on that hill and surrounded by goblin corpses. And yet, still no body... Then it is as I feared. Her corpse must have been stolen by grave robbers, or worse, used for foul necromancy!

I took the halberd with me. Proof of my convictions, at last! Oh sweet, sweet vindication! Lets see those fools at the guild doubt me now! But there must be more to it. What of her companions?

We followed the trail back, looking more carefully now. The encroaching darkness made things difficult for me, although Dana fared better with her dwarven eyes. I had almost given up, but then I spotted something under a pile of desiccated goblin guts. An enormous iron greatsword, rusted from neglect but still imposing. This could only be the weapon of Ngethac the sword dancer! But her body was not nearby. Perhaps she was disarmed here but fell elsewhere? Alas, the sword was too heavy to bring with us. Even with my supernatural strength I could barely wield it.

We carried on until Dana spotted a human corpse amidst the butchered goblins, along with a war hammer. Ases, Pictham’s first companion.

We never managed to find Ngethac’s body. Maybe she lies in one of the ziggurats, but going through all of those would be too risky. For Ases though, we dragged his body away from the tower and built a funeral pyre. The necromancers may be gone from here, but who knows what fiendish pilgrims may still visit.

Dana and I set up camp a little further upwind. We sat down for a rest and started discussing what to do next. It was with mixed emotions that I admitted I still needed something new for my dissertation. Proving my earlier work is a great relief, but I doubt the sticklers back home would accept it as original research.

“Well, ye did tell Juvar we’d check out those rumours from ‘is homeland. Seems like a fine place to start. I figure we owe it to ‘im anyway.” ventured Dana.

As much as I would like to argue, she was right. Whatever was going on with this new Law Giver down south, it would be a ripe breeding ground for historic happenings. I tried to stifle the dread I felt at at the prospect of trekking through the freezing tundra and the lawless wastes beyond. Alas, these are the things I must endure if I am to return to the guild triumphant. Onward!
                        - Random human lord

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2590 on: December 05, 2022, 12:30:59 pm »

I'm starting my investigation, sorry for the long wait, I've been quite busy, unexpectedly so. If I cannot find a solution, we can either delete my last turn and move on, or simply pass time ahead the smallest unit of time until the issue resolves itself. I don't see too much issue with the latter solution, but I understand if we would rather not take that tact. Regardless, I'll report back tonight as I've set aside today to do this.

Currently I've retraced to my uploaded save, originally Cook was unable to progress past the 7th of Hematite in their game. I've run Silverthrone for a few months now past this date without any crashes. What I did notice however is that on the 7th of Hematite, this occurred.

However, when we take a look at our nobles screen.

Our field marshal is a different unit at least by noble screen's standards. This could all be a coincidence of it happening on the 7th, but obviously the mixed up noble appointment is wrong. Perhaps if this event occurs while offsite, that could cause a crash. Should I set the position of Field Marshal to vacant, the game will immediately crash, so I'll have to use DF-Hack to fix the assignment. Regardless, it's something to start with. My investigation continues.

Aftrer fixing the wierd double field marshal position, I have now played a full year at Silverthrone without any crashes whatsoever. Next I will check out untiring for different lengths of time.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 01:50:43 pm by Unraveller »
I've lost control of my life.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #2591 on: December 05, 2022, 01:50:37 pm »

Oof, and you can't get rid of noble positions once you've created them. Making humans playable may have created a timebomb
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2592 on: December 05, 2022, 01:53:05 pm »

Oof, and you can't get rid of noble positions once you've created them. Making humans playable may have created a timebomb

DF-hack is the key to many doors, removing the assignment in the gm-editor, as well as the historical event related to the ascension to said position and finally the the histfig's entity link pointed to said position is all one needs to do to remove that. Seems to have worked on my end, now I have one field marshal without any noticeable issue. Of course, I will need to do much more testing to know if this was where the issue is.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 01:56:01 pm by Unraveller »

Lurker Z

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2593 on: December 05, 2022, 02:06:50 pm »

Interestingly, when I killed all but Jas and Luki in Cook's save, all but the commander slots emptied, so it's strange that it didn't do that for you.

What command are you using to remove nobles from positions?

Unraveller

• Bay Watcher
  • [DOES_NOT_EXIST]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2594 on: December 05, 2022, 02:08:34 pm »

Interestingly, when I killed all but Jas and Luki in Cook's save, all but the commander slots emptied, so it's strange that it didn't do that for you.

What command are you using to remove nobles from positions?

gui/gm-editor

I am explicitly delving through the data structure rather than using any commands, the necessary functions to fix many of these issues simply do not exist as DF-hack scripts.

Still working on the investigation, things are progressing interestingly. There seem to be currently two types of crashes I can experience. The first is that if I'm on the timeskipping calendar screen, such as when you start adventure mode or fort mode without a current game in progress, if the date reaches the 6-7th of Hematite, the game will crash. Even at a later year. So every year, something happens about at the start of summer that will crash the game, but ONLY when the game is not currently in progress, as this crash does not occur during fortress mode. Human caravans do arrive at about that date, so that might have relevance,

Secondly, both in fort mode and during the timeskip screen, at the very end of the year, the game will freeze/crash.

These could be related, but also could be separate. Currently I'm testing every single year from 929 (current) to 1000 to see if there is a moment in time where the crashes end. I will hopefully use that information to find a solution from there, or, if the crash subsides at a resonable time, perhaps recommend we move forward to it. I've got plenty of day left, so I will do my best to right the save.

Another interesting finding in time passage. When only Jas is left as an active unit in Silverthrone, any amount of time can pass without crashes, leading me to once again believe there is a corrupt unit or units in the site. This may be related, as NGN suggests to the many traveling units in the site. During my turn I made liberal use of the squad off-map raiding mechanic to grab all the books in the surrounding abandoned monasteries, I did not realize at the time how buggy that feature was. The testing continues.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2022, 05:19:10 pm by Unraveller »
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 [173] 174 175 ... 263