Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Co-op Dwarfmode (online simultaneous multiplayer)  (Read 114197 times)

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Co-op Dwarfmode (online simultaneous multiplayer)
« on: April 03, 2020, 11:45:35 pm »

"Why must the cancer of multiplayer afflict everything?"/u/JesterHell

DFPlex is a plugin for DFHack which introduces simultaneous, real-time online co-op to fortress mode: each player has their own independent view, cursor, menus, etc. so nobody has to wrestle for control. It's a fork of webfort, so players join just by connecting from their web browser.

Demonstrations
    Demo video, courtesy of  BLindiRL, flabort, and Kruggsmash.

Try it out online right now. There are two options currently:
    • This site will host a dwarf fortress server for you as a paid service, and also offers a demo (linked).
    • courtesy of Hexa from the Dwarf Fortress Discord. Note: this server seems to have a pretty high latency, especially for those outside of Europe. Expect it to take a while to connect, and the UI to be a bit laggy. You can reasonably expect hosting your own server to be smoother. If the server is online, dwarves will be visible here: Join

Another demonstration:

Spoiler: "Two players (video)" (click to show/hide)

(If the gif in the spoiler is too wide or doesn't play, here are imgur links: screen 1, screen 2)

Features
    • Play fortress mode with your friends! No need to hotseat -- you can actually play simultaneously now. For example, two players might be designating areas to dig while a third is issuing build orders on the manager screen.
    • Play fortress mode alone, but with multiple screens into your fortress.
    • Going into a menu no longer pauses the game. (This is customizable in dfplex.txt, but highly recommended because otherwise the game will rarely progress if more than one player is playing.)
    Please save regularly (enable seasonal autosave!) and follow the install + set-up instructions after downloading.

DFPlex v0.2.1: Download, compatible with DF + DFHack 0.47.04-r1.
    (For compatibility with other versions, compile from source at your own risk. Build instructions. Make sure to download exactly these versions!)

You can also use this site to host a server for you instead of setting the hack up yourself.

Buy a coffee: Bay12 · Me

Installation Instructions
    Please carefully follow these basic set-up instructions.
    • You need an existing dwarf fortress + DFHack 0.47.04-r1 installation.
    • Download the appropriate zip from the link above and extract it into your df/dfhack installation, respecting the directory structure.
    • Make sure to have only the line enable dfplex in your dfhack.init and no other lines, because dfplex is incompatible with many other utilities.
    • After launching the game, connect from your web browser to your computer at http://localhost:8000/. (You can configure this in dfplex.txt). Warning: several users have reported problems using Chrome. Please try another browser. (Firefox version 72.01 is known to work fine.)
    • If errors occur which block you from making progress with your fortress, try pressing the backslash key (\) to disable multiplexing as a last resort workaround. See "troubleshooting" below for more advice.

For your convenience, flbr has created a Windows batch script that downloads and assembles a fresh df/dfhack/dfplex installation. If you decide to use that script, please report technical difficulties during set-up to that thread, not this one. Caveat: as of 2021-02, some users are reporting this script no longer functions. Update: as of 2021-04, there may be a working version of the script here? I haven't tested this, so I give no promises that this works.

Spoiler: "Troubleshooting" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Bug reports" (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: "Feature requests" (click to show/hide)

I'm not sure how to do adventurer mode yet. Warmist seems to have arena mode working already.

Suggestions and questions are welcome. Please submit bug reports here or on github. Do not submit bug reports about interoperability issues with other plugins -- however, you may submit requests for compatability with specific plugins.[/list]
    « Last Edit: April 27, 2021, 04:28:20 pm by white-rabbit »

Ulfarr

• Bay Watcher
    • Going on a pilgrimage to Mars
      • View Profile
    Re: Co-op Dwarfmode
    « Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 12:03:26 am »

Post to watch.

By the way none of the links in the OP seem to work. (Referred to the pre release op)
    « Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 08:31:22 pm by Ulfarr »
    Bring Kobold Kamp to LNP! graphics compatibility fix.

So the conclusion I'm getting here is that we use QSPs because dwarves can't pilot submarines.

Warmist

• Bay Watcher
    • Master of unfinished jobs
      • View Profile
    Re: Co-op Dwarfmode
    « Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 05:32:25 am »

PTW

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
    • Sluggish Modder
      • View Profile
    Re: Co-op Dwarfmode (online simultaneous multiplayer)
    « Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 11:35:19 am »

PTW

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
    • REMOVE KOBOLD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #4 on: April 04, 2020, 07:06:10 pm »

Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #5 on: April 04, 2020, 07:40:11 pm »

I have been thinking about starting to stream DF. Do you think that this would run fast enough for a multiplayer DF stream? Also, would anyone else be interested in playing a multiplayer DF game together on Sunday afternoons? I think It is going to take me about a week to figure out how to build this. I am not as proficient with git as I would like to be. Although if anyone would be interested in playing together after I figure out how to build it. I am interested in playing together.

A Question: Is this compatible with the rest of DF-hack? Or is it recommended to not use any other parts when using this?
    « Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 07:46:57 pm by High tyrol »

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #6 on: April 04, 2020, 07:59:50 pm »

I have been thinking about starting to stream DF. Do you think that this would run fast enough for a multiplayer DF stream?

So far during testing it's been lightning fast. The main problem is latency. If a client is on the opposite side of the planet from the host, they will see a 2×ping delay between when they input a key (e.g. scroll up) and when they see the result. Fortunately, dwarf fortress doesn't generally require lightning-fast response times, even in the UI, so I would reckon it would be decently well-playable even with low triple-digit ping. This is all speculation, as I haven't done any science. So far I've tried playing it at a distance of a few hundred km and it's been fine.

Oh, and, this should go without saying, but the game itself is not going to run faster than vanilla dwarf fortress does on the host's machine.

A Question: Is this compatible with DF-hack?

Actually, it's made with DF-hack. I have not yet tested compatibility with any other modules; however, I would imagine most things should work fine. The web browser front-end leans on a version of TWBT (Text Will Be Text) from six years ago, since I forked from webfort which itself forked from TWBT circa 2014. This means that (currently) players can have three different tilesets (main map, text, and overworld/minimap), but there isn't z-level-overlaying yet. Creature graphics aren't even supported! Hopefully I can at least get TWBT support up to the modern day, but that's not as high priority as ironing out some of the current wrinkles with my implementation.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #7 on: April 04, 2020, 08:03:19 pm »

How much have you used it personally?

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #8 on: April 04, 2020, 08:04:22 pm »

How much have you used it personally?

I've playtested it a couple times. I only started a few days ago. You could say it's a strange mood.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #9 on: April 04, 2020, 08:06:51 pm »

I have been hoping to do a cavern embark start.

Are the dependencies for Webfort different than for DF hack?

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #10 on: April 04, 2020, 08:09:17 pm »

Are the dependencies for Webfort different than for DF hack?

So far, it depends on websocketpp. However, the source code is included as a git submodule, so this dependency is probably going to be invisible to the user. Perhaps I've misunderstood your question.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #11 on: April 04, 2020, 08:15:12 pm »

With DF hack I was able to install by pasting into my DF folder. With webfort am I building into a DF folder or am I building it and copying the build into the folder?

I have the dependencies file unzipped so I should be okay on that front.

What version of DF does it work with? The last that I know for DF hack to work with is version 0.74.03
    « Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 08:19:13 pm by High tyrol »

white-rabbit

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #12 on: April 04, 2020, 08:31:19 pm »

With DF hack I was able to install by pasting into my DF folder. With webfort am I building into a DF folder or am I building it and copying the build into the folder?

If you are building it yourself, then the process should be identical to DFhack. If you are using a prebuilt DFhack release, then you'll have to wait until someone (perhaps me...) makes such a release. I'm not sure exactly how to do that yet, though.

What version of DF does it work with? The last that I know for DF hack to work with is version 0.74.03

The same as the master branch of DFHack, which is 0.44.12-r3.

High tyrol

• Bay Watcher
      • View Profile
    « Reply #13 on: April 04, 2020, 08:43:05 pm »

what does the -r3  at the end mean? sorry figured that part out.

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
    • REMOVE KOBOLD
      • View Profile
    « Reply #14 on: April 04, 2020, 09:10:05 pm »

What are the limits of what players can do without stepping on each other's toes?

I can't tell if opening the nobles menu is causing the game to pause or not.
    « Last Edit: April 04, 2020, 09:12:24 pm by Bumber »
    Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?
    Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13