Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: «Modest Mod» [v0.47.05-2] Updated & Accelerated  (Read 61299 times)

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
«Modest Mod» [v0.47.05-2] Updated & Accelerated
« on: July 06, 2019, 07:12:14 pm »

Modest Mod v0.47.05-2

The most indispensable mod for Dwarf Fortress is back!

Created by Igfig
With Thanks to CryptoCactus and Button
Updated for 0.47+ by LargeSnail

The Modest Mod is a collection of vital bugfixes and tweaks that everyone should be able to use comfortably and without reservation. This mod doesn't add anything new. It doesn't do anything controversial. It's just like vanilla DF, but a little better. French vanilla.

The old Modest Mod threads can be found here:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105871.0 (Very First Modest Mod)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=148265.0 (Modest Mod v0.42.06-1 by Button)

Installation
   1) Back up your existing 'raw' folder.
   2) Install any graphics packs.
   3) Unzip the archive into your Dwarf Fortress directory.
   4) Say yes when it asks if you want to replace files.

Compatibility

Modest Mod should be compatible with many mods and some graphics packs.

Even if for mods which are incompatible, it's pretty easy to merge things manually. All of my changes are clearly marked in the raw files with the phrase "Modest Mod". We recommend using WinMerge.

Modules

Modest Modules involve changes that, while popular, are a little too ambitious for the core mod.

Modules included in release 0.47.05-2 are:
  • Accelerated - Significantly reduces the number of materials present in the game (along with some init tweaks) increasing performance.
  • Everything Is Tameable - With the exception of the civilized races, you can tame anything.
  • Everything Is Tameable for Accelerated - A version of the Everything Is Tameable module which is compatible with the Accelerated module. Install AFTER Accelerated.
  • Modest Bodies - Modifies body definitions to add joints between "upper" and "lower" limbs, and renames some body parts - e.g. "upper leg" to "thigh."
  • Tooltips - Provides descriptions & important information for most Fortress Mode reactions. Likely to be helpful for newbies.
  • Tooltips for Accelerated - A version of the Tooltips module which is compatible with the Accelerated module. Install AFTER Accelerated.
  • No Aquifers - Disables the aquifers
  • No Aquifers for Accelerated - A version of the No Aquifers module which is compatible with the Accelerated module. Install AFTER Accelerated.

Unless otherwise noted, Modest Modules are compatible with each other and can be installed in any order.

Module Installation

1. Install the Modest Mod as directed above.
2. Check your Dwarf Fortress directory for the folder named "Modest Modules." Open this folder.
3. Unzip the modules you want to install into your Dwarf Fortress directory, as you did with the Modest Mod.
4. Say yes when it asks if you want to replace files.

Spoiler: Features (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Changelog (click to show/hide)

-For Mod Authors-

The Modest Mod belongs to the Dwarf Fortress community. You are free to remix, build upon, pull from, and otherwise use these raws for any purpose. Attribution is nice, but you don't even have to do that.

Special thanks to:

Vintermann, for starting the thread that inspired this mod
    Igfig, for doing the majority of the work
    Meph, for identifying and addressing a lot of issues
    Quietust, Elvang, RavingManiac, Joben, and Ag, for major contributions to the 0.34.11 Modest Mod
    Urist Da Vinci, Vattic, Kaos, Taverius, Quarterblue, and others I may have forgotten, for good suggestions
    Demonic Spoon for QA
    Zarathustra30, for the Tooltips module
    brolol.404, for the No Aquifers module and some new features for Accelerated
    Everyone else who's contributed to the thread(s)
    MASSIVE THANKS to CryptoCactus and Button for maintaining the Modest Mod during Igfig's absence.
    And Toady One, of course.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2021, 03:17:56 pm by LargeSnail »

voliol

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Website
Re: «Modest Mod» [Updated] [v0.44.12-1]
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2019, 03:59:18 am »

Nice that the modest mod is back, it's been a while. I haven't checked the raws yet, but some of the bugs described as being fixed by this mod have already been fixed in vanilla DF, e.g. moon snails not having bodies. Giant desert scorpions also don't exist in vanilla any more.

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2019, 06:42:55 pm »

You're right, some of the bugfixes described are improvements from old versions of the mod. I'll rewrite the feature list soon.

And about the GDS, I think they were awesome. Taking them back don't change the game too much, and adds a bit more of challenge to savage deserts. Maybe I'll set them to a new module, for those ones who wants more difficulty or new creatures (or specific pets to every entity).

LordBalkan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2019, 08:59:09 am »

Am I right to assume that this mod probably isn't embedded to Meph os LNP, since this version was released like, last week?
In any case, thank you for the mod!

:D

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2019, 04:11:52 pm »

Am I right to assume that this mod probably isn't embedded to Meph os LNP, since this version was released like, last week?
In any case, thank you for the mod!

:D

Thanks for comment :)
And yes, the mod isn't adapted to be used with any tileset other than the default and wonderfull ASCII. In a relatively near future, I'll upload new versions with support for the most used tilesets.

For the momment, I'm working on a version for the Phoebus Tileset (available in the LNP), just wait for it.

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2019, 04:24:32 pm »

I created a mod that turns all flier birds into vermin. I am also thinking of making a mod that turns all fish (except for large ocean fish) into vermin. I can upload the files if you want to add them to this mod?

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2019, 05:28:31 pm »

I created a mod that turns all flier birds into vermin. I am also thinking of making a mod that turns all fish (except for large ocean fish) into vermin. I can upload the files if you want to add them to this mod?

Obviously you can! And thanks :D

brolol.404

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2019, 07:42:51 pm »

These are two mods that I made for my personal use that you can include if you want:

No Aquifers: removes aquifers

Vermin Birds: Changes all flying birds to vermin (removes "stuck" birds from the wild animal cap)

I'll let you know when I get around to creating the vermin fish mod.

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
Re: «Modest Mod» [v0.44.12-2] (Now With Graphics!)
« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2019, 11:29:37 pm »

Released the version 0.44.12-2, with support for Phoebus Tileset.

I'll upload more versions with support for some tilesets, but that will take a time.

Thanks @brolol.404 for your help!

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2019, 04:51:24 am »

Cool seeing this revived.  8)

Btw, I wrote the original accelerated Df, that was pretty much my first mod. You can check it for some tricks to get even more fps if you like. It's still around.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

grody311

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2019, 01:20:53 am »

YES!! I can play this game again. It's literally unplayable for me without the accelerated mod. Thank you!

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2019, 12:09:23 pm »

Cool seeing this revived.  8)

Btw, I wrote the original accelerated Df, that was pretty much my first mod. You can check it for some tricks to get even more fps if you like. It's still around.

Thanks for comment Meph!
I didn't know that about the Accelerated DF. I'll check it latter.

YES!! I can play this game again. It's literally unplayable for me without the accelerated mod. Thank you!

I'm happy to hear that. You're welcome  :)

A_Cuter_Triangle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 04:02:38 pm »

I am now playing after a long hiatus.  I love this mod and am glad to see it is still being updated!  I am merging the files myself because I became impatient and was unable to wait for Spacefox graphics.  I found a typo in creature_large_ocean.txt.  The whale shark's adjective under NAME and CASTE_NAME is "shale shark"  (note the "s").  Also, does the CREATURE_CLASS: MAMMAL tag do anything?  I left it in after the merge even though it is not present in the Modest Mod file.

EDIT:  In creature_large_riverlake.txt, the description of FISH_CARP contains a typo.  "They are bottom-feeders and tend to gather groups."  The word "in" is missing in "in groups."
« Last Edit: July 30, 2019, 04:06:56 pm by A_Cuter_Triangle »

LargeSnail

• Bay Watcher
  • Sluggish Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 04:21:35 pm »

I am now playing after a long hiatus.  I love this mod and am glad to see it is still being updated!  I am merging the files myself because I became impatient and was unable to wait for Spacefox graphics.  I found a typo in creature_large_ocean.txt.  The whale shark's adjective under NAME and CASTE_NAME is "shale shark"  (note the "s").  Also, does the CREATURE_CLASS: MAMMAL tag do anything?  I left it in after the merge even though it is not present in the Modest Mod file.

Thanks for your comment.
The CREATURE_CLASS:MAMMAL and CREATURE_CLASS:POISONOUS tags only exists to specify the kobolds' pets (the MAMMAL tag restricts kobolds from taming platypuses). I added the CREATURE_CLASS:KOBOLD_PET tag to avoid adding the MAMMAL and POISONOUS creature classes to every animal in the raws, and it has the same effect in the game.

And about of hiatus, this mod will be in one for a while. I'm working into another project (the Illithid Mod) so until I release the first version of that mod don't expect any updates for this.

Prismaa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 05, 2019, 12:12:31 am »

Is this a bug? I can't specify dwarven wine for mass brew or specific brew (plump helmets), it says it needs "Unrotten" but nothing else
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7