Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Militia commander refuses to train  (Read 1201 times)

Xinael

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Militia commander refuses to train
« on: May 21, 2020, 12:10:35 am »

I feel embarrassed asking this because it must be a pretty basic military question, but I just got my military stood up in my first game in about 3 years. Everything seems to be configured fine and my dwarves will all go train... except my militia commander. He just keeps doing his civilian labours even though his squad has an alert set telling them to go train, and the other squad members will all train reliably.

Anyone seen anything like this and know how I can get him training?

EDIT: btw this is nothing to do with which dwarf it is. I fired the militia commander and replaced him with his second in command, and added the old militia commander to the new squad as a regular soldier. The new militia commander now won't train while the old one, who's now a regular soldier, has started training.

EDIT2: It's also not the barracks, I removed it and created a new one and still nothing.

EDIT3: Finally! It was this bug: http://bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=751 Be careful setting the training minimums!
« Last Edit: May 21, 2020, 12:31:33 am by Xinael »

Shonai_Dweller

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Militia commander refuses to train
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 03:43:34 am »

Well, the default is 10, so if you never touch it, there's no problem. Sadly way too many guides state with authority that setting minimum to 2 is the only way to get dorfs to spar properly, when in fact it's preventing training from taking place for the most part.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2020, 11:58:30 am »

Xinael's dwarfs were doing exactly what they were supposed to do, and there was no bug involved.

There is a misunderstanding of the orders section, and of the contextual meaning of the word "minimum".

This is an explaination of the military screen's orders section, where the word "minimum" is shown in context.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

So, Xinael, when you reduced the default order to "2 minimum", and did not add another order to involve more dwarfs, you limited your active dwarfs for that squad to 2 per month.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

KevinM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2020, 07:03:00 pm »

Think that can be added to the wiki?  I had no idea about this as well, despite playing off and on for years.   I think some of my issue was early confusion about not correctly setting up the barracks and I just never managed to learn about it until now.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2020, 07:24:48 am »

additionally, the edit order feature fails to allow the prefered soldier option. Only issuing brand new orders lets ya, setup a prefered soldier for a specific order.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 07:28:41 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2020, 02:57:41 pm »

Think that can be added to the wiki?  I had no idea about this as well, despite playing off and on for years.   I think some of my issue was early confusion about not correctly setting up the barracks and I just never managed to learn about it until now.
I wrote it up so that it could be used, but seeing this thread and Mechanixm's image guides, I think there should be more reference to those guides instead. They are concise.
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.