Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15

Author Topic: Spookyfort: Inheritance  (Read 25964 times)

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
Re: Crystallake: A Halloween Spookyfort! Overseers welcome!
« Reply #120 on: October 23, 2020, 12:03:30 am »

That'll be up to someone else to determine, since I only have a season left. The wights bailed after I exterminated their undead horde so I didn't get to see.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: October 23, 2020, 11:23:50 pm »

"To whom it may concern,

I trust this last repart has found you well. As of winter, I have dispatched the payment with an Ice Giant convoy from Mol Ymem lead by a caravaneer by the name of Did Kingdomsbowl. Should the chest of 4500 silvers fail to arrive by hematite, you will know who is responsible and who to bring legal recourse against.

Morale has been something of an issue, with the Miner Urist taking frustrations with the mess the guests and staff have to clean up out on several others. No deaths or critical injuries, but the matter needed to be reported. Expedition leader Ber is also stumbling about obliviously, and Broker Likot has sunken into a deep depression.

Urist continues his tantrums in Opal, knocking out a peasant's teeth. As they arrived with skills not exactly conducive to even putting food on their table back home, I had difficulty wioth giving them any sympathy. Another person suffered broken knees. Broker Likot also picked a fight, though they had to stupid fortune of doing so with an on-duty Security Dwarf who promptly kicked them in the leg and broke their ankle in retaliation. Should their moods continue to sour, I may have no choice but to expel them from the property, as we lack a proper Fortress Guard unit and suitable workers to form one are... Lacking.

These incidents however were all that occurred during the winter. While Mr. Bomrek and the other Stage Technicians have yet to be contacted (I suspect they were killed by some of the escaped animals now roaming the countryside,) the venture is more or less on a decent course. The Devil's Gullet attraction has been more or less completed, with Mirthlesson and a silver hatch installed as a defensive measure against madness or stupidity against my advice, as there was talk of having a "petting zoo" for the various horrible things in the third cavern layer below it - something I cannot strongly discourage enough.

As of the 24th of Obsidian, there is a dwarf by the name of Ustuth Weakenrocks who was overcome by fey spirits and began some project, but I am unable to include it in this report, as I will have stepped down as Camp Director by the time they're done with... Whatever useless trinket it is.

Please, give my regards to DFM, and rest assured the camp is presently in good hands with Mayor Alath and whomever they choose as Camp Director for the next fiscal year.

Signed,
Splint Orderdyes, Security Director of Crystallake venture, 672"

A final twin to be opened...

"Management,

I don't think this place has long left in it. People, staff and guests alike, are on edge. The ghosts take their jobs too seriously. We've been attacked by fucking undead bandits, our stage crew is either dead or dispersed so throughly we'll never get them all to sign another contract with DFM, and now I have assault charges for multiple dwarves sitting on my desk because I'm the closest thing to a law enforcement official in the place, and I'm not a fuckin' cop.

I might be able to fix this place if I had the time, but I don't have Ber's backing anymore to stay camp director - these jobless fucksticks elected a mayor, which means effective the first of Granite, I'm no longer director as my contract was with Ber, not Alath. I'll remain on as Security Director, but for the love of god I hope you can send someone who has some serious psychology experience because otherwise this is gonna end badly.

The Ice giants have the silvers en route as promised in the last report I sent. If they try to stiff us, look for that asshole Did, show him the letter, make him fork over the money.

- Splint"

And with that, my turn ends. Winter was dreadfully quiet and uneventful, apart from the mentioned assholes punching people. Likot's lucky they only got a wrecked ankle and not a hand axe buried in their skull; on-duty troops don't like being assaulted.

We got a mood in waiting, dunno what it'll be since my turn ended right after he got started. Morale's in the toilet and going down fast, in no small part because of the ghosts. Having one or two around as mascots would have probably been harmless, but them and cave adaptation is making peoples' moods sink like a rock. So might wanna take some steps there, assuming next guy doesn't just game-end this place before Halloween.

Sorry this final update was so lackluster, but no events and Sim Settlements 2 dropping for Fallout 4 make for lacking content to give.

Here's the save. NEXT VICTIM.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: October 24, 2020, 06:33:29 am »

I have the save, but I'm going to say it now: I have dick-all experience with morale and have never played any of the mods on this save. Probably going to start by getting rid of most of the ghosts (bar one or two) and seeing what I can do about cave adaptation, but don't be surprised if I cause the fort to die with a whimper rather than a bang.

Spoiler: Fun? (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: October 24, 2020, 06:37:55 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
  • menaces with spikes of pine
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: October 24, 2020, 06:43:03 am »

I 100% give approval for that, as that was my end plan anyway - I'm looking at becoming a father in less than a week, so if this ends earlier than expected, I'm cool with that and will wrote up something maybe a few days late.

Kids got their own schedule, it seems.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: October 24, 2020, 11:59:48 am »

I made that devil's face thing leading down to it for a reason.  ;)

This is one of those forts though that I have no doubt someone could save, just not in the space of a typical turn. But, the fort's not meant to try and keep chugging anyway, just last to the end of the month.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: October 25, 2020, 10:16:01 am »

A proper way to send this death filled fort off.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: October 25, 2020, 10:54:35 am »

(A letter dated 5th Granite)
“Gentlemen,

Though the information gleaned from it has proven valuable, our position has become unstable. The nature of Project Crystallake (See Camp, Crystallake, Camp, DFM, Camp, Spoopy) is at significant risk of discovery due to the failure of certain staff members to cover up the deaths of dozens of the ‘volunteers’ there.

Thankfully, the guards are at least sufficiently equipped to put down a riot should it arise, being in possession of full iron armour and steel weaponry due to the efforts of Splint Orderdyes (See Orderdyes, Splint; Employees; Overseers; Wankers).

The stock records are well-maintained: the fortress is sufficiently supplied with alcohol and food, with a significant surplus of iron bars and a small quantity of steel. Cloth, wood, and other such vital goods are in similarly good supply.

Standard procedures for dealing with the dead, however, have been all but abandoned. Numerous spectres (See Appendix A, section 9, Ghosts, Creation of) have been allowed to rise without authorisation and have been given free reign to cause likely irreversible mental damage to several campers, corpses have rarely been disposed of, and reports indicate that at least one employee, Mr. Eric Giltsunken (See Giltsunken, Eric; Employees; Deranged Loons) is guilty of unapproved witchcraft (In direct violation of our policies on such matters).

I have sent an employee there to mitigate the damages, though I must formally request that you consider liquidation of Project Crystallake’s assets if it becomes clear that a legal disaster is unavoidable (Reference Liquidation Methods, Circus, Fun).

Signed,

(Name illegible)”

(A journal, recovered from the former quarters of Overseer Quantum Echofortress.)

14th to 15th Granite

Whoever designed this place needs to be fired. Preferably from a ballista. Then beaten to the consistency of ground meat, reanimated, shot from a ballista again, then fed to starving Beak Dogs.
We’re certain to get butchered in the courts over all the shit that’s been going on down here. Even if the legal bigwigs manage to get away with the lack of organisation, the rotting corpses everywhere, and the gross incompetence that practically defines this place, whatever semblance of a brand we have is going to be fucked after this.

Plausible deniability and contracts don’t mean shit when a miner goes psycho in the most trafficked corridor of the fort, and drives someone's ribs through their heart.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The poor bastard was stone dead in moments, and the idiots hired as ‘staff’ just left him to rot there, in full view of dozens of campers. That’s not something we can just explain away, goddamn it!
And then there’s all the ghosts running around. The campers are buying that ‘actor’ bull less and less as time goes on – the fact that at least two of the campers are right on the edge of a full-blown breakdown from those asshats constantly harassing them at all hours, never pausing for sleep or sustenance, is rousing more and more suspicion.

About the only good thing so far is that the fort is mostly secure and has enough resources to get by – and then there’s the [obscured by scribbles] in the depths. I’m still waiting my orders as to what to do with that, before the law brings the hammer down on us all.

25th Granite

I’ve dealt with the worst of the ghosts. Official line to the campers is that they breached company policy by taking the ‘haunting experience’ way too far and got their contracts terminated; we’ll see if the law’ll swallow that in time, but for now, Mister Spookyface and his risen buddies can go back to the grave.

The remaining ones – two dwarves and some psychotic-looking raccoon-thing – seem pretty docile. They just float around, all mysterious-looking and don’t stir this diarrhoea-drink even further. They can stay for now, but the minute one of them starts making funny noises… well, the memorial slabs are ready for engraving, and we’ve got one for every camper in this hole.

Speaking of slabs, I’ve begun working on cleaning up the corpses around the fort. The boss wants as much of the blatant evidence of wrongdoing gone ASAP. Most of them’ll go in the atom smasher, with the slabs shoved off into a side room.

1st Felsite

Seems like those ghosts didn’t want to go without a parting shot. One of their buddies showed up just outside the fort and chased a couple campers around for a while, before one of the guards thought to drew their axe and hack the damned thing in two.

18th Hematite

Management seems to have finally gotten around to my request for more reading material. Sent me a dozen-odd books from some monastery down south, along with some unskilled labourers told to carry them all, though most of it’s about as bland as it comes. It’s been shoved into the big spider-shaped library with the rest of the books; with luck, it’ll provide the more deeply traumatised campers something nice and inoffensive to read. Failing that, at least we can claim it’s a sign of how we at least tried to care for the campers.

As if! Management’s orders came today, mixed in with the books.

My orders are to strip-mine the veins down in the depths, and damn the consequences. If it all goes well, we can sell the ore and its wafers to help with funding, if it all goes badly – well, then it won’t matter much. The magma forges and workshops are already in place. All that is left is to start mining the ore, and pray that we don’t hit the hollow centre and give the bastards what they’re no doubt hoping for.

28th Malachite

A Suturer who started hiding away in one of the glass workshops suddenly came out today with a green glass barrel.

Spoiler: The Shiny (click to show/hide)

Looks pretty good, if a little bit of a waste of valuable materials.

18th Limestone

Spoiler: Goddamn it, CMD! (click to show/hide)

Another murder in front of a dozen-odd witnesses. Broken neck, this time – that quack serving as the coroner of the fort went apeshit on Zultan out of nowhere, snapped her neck, and carried on pummelling her once she was down. Then she just stood up, and walked off like it was nothing.

Times like this almost make we wish we had a Hammerer. Damn that quack to Hell!

27th Limestone
Extraction of the material in the depths is being carried out at speed. Though significant quantities of magma will require draining or outright elimination via water, the quantity of Adamantine mined so far has proven enough to make several breastplates and helms (some of masterwork quality, due to the efforts of one of the more stable campers).

5th Timber
The CMD, a smelter, and a glassmaker somehow managed to starve/dehydrate to death down on the forge level, despite there being a clear pathway back up to the fortress. No-one seems willing to go back down there, no matter what I do. Guess that’s another three lawsuits to add to the pile.

There haven’t actually been that many issues with morale, beyond the three lost causes (CMD, miner, and Broker) and their constant tantrums/depression/occasional murder. No sieges, either, just the occasional Wight passing through. Most of the fort is around 0 stress, or is at least in the grey area represented on DFHack. The top layers of candy have been mined out, and the remaining ones will all need at least some magma draining before they can be properly mined (unless you're looking to HFS it immediately).

That said, for some reason, the dorfs won’t go down to the forge level anymore despite having tasks enabled down there. Several of them almost dehydrated/starved to death because they were just standing around there, forcing me to DFHack-teleport them back into the main fort. Now none of them’re going down there, and teleporting them back down just causes them to stand around and not do anything. As far as I can tell, there are no locked doors, obstructed passages, etc, nor is the error log showing any pathing issues.

I have zero damned clue what’s causing this, but at least I’ve managed to forge a couple candy items. Going to try and figure out what's causing the issue in the remaining two in game months.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2020, 11:41:26 am by Quantum Drop »
I am ambushed by humans, and for a change, they do not drop dead immediately. I bash the master with my ladle, and he is propelled away. While in mid-air, he dies of old age.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: October 25, 2020, 11:28:16 am »

Double check for alerts. I was having issue with job cancel spam because the emergency alert was still on. Very strange though, since I had no issues with people working down there.

I love how this has quickly turned into a legal nightmare a handful of employees are trying to save the company from even though they know damn well they can't. :P

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: October 25, 2020, 06:42:39 pm »

delphonso is already on an island somewhere, I imagine.

Yeah, sounds like burrow nonsense - you might want to just dismantle whatever burrows exist to make sure they're not stuck in it.

King Zultan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: October 26, 2020, 05:52:50 am »

I'm surprised I lived as long as I did, and it looks like I lucked out on getting killed by one of my fellow dwarves instead of all the other horrible things wondering around.
The Lawyer opens a briefcase. It's full of lemons, the justice fruit only lawyers may touch.
Make sure not to step on any errant blood stains before we find our LIFE EXTINGUSHER.
but anyway, if you'll excuse me, I need to commit sebbaku.
Quote from: Leodanny
Can I have the sword when you’re done?

ZM5

• Bay Watcher
  • Accomplished RAW Engineer
    • View Profile
    • Steam
« Reply #130 on: October 26, 2020, 07:18:34 am »

I'm surprised I lived as long as I did, and it looks like I lucked out on getting killed by one of my fellow dwarves instead of all the other horrible things wondering around.
It says a lot that having "lucked out" in Crystallake means you only get killed by an insane staff member rather than the horrors out on the surface or in the caverns.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: October 26, 2020, 10:20:57 am »

Double check for alerts. I was having issue with job cancel spam because the emergency alert was still on. Very strange though, since I had no issues with people working down there.

I love how this has quickly turned into a legal nightmare a handful of employees are trying to save the company from even though they know damn well they can't. :P
delphonso is already on an island somewhere, I imagine.

Yeah, sounds like burrow nonsense - you might want to just dismantle whatever burrows exist to make sure they're not stuck in it.
All burrows have been dismantled (including the Emergency one), but the Dwarves still aren't going down. That said, there's a starving/dehydrated pet (Crystalline Charger Kid) down on the forge levels, and one of the Dwarves keeps coming up with 'Cancels Give Food: Animal Inaccessible' errors. Can't see why, since there looks to be a clear path.

Quantum Drop

• Bay Watcher
  • Deep Sixed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: October 26, 2020, 12:44:44 pm »

16th Moonstone

Clean-up of the corpses is near complete. Most of them were skeletons, including a whole bunch built into the walls for whatever reason, but more than a few were fresh enough to arouse suspicion if they were found. The atom smasher dealt with the vast majority of them without incident, and I’ve made sure that it wasn’t my name on the order to deal with them like that.

Other than that, my duties in this fort are all but done. I’ve cleaned up the worst of their mess – my responsibilities have been discharged, and I’ve already gotten my resignation written up.

I’m not sticking around any longer than I have to.

Damn it all!

I would’ve been out of this fortress and off to safety if not for those damned Ice Giants. Their caravans showed up with a snowstorm thick enough to blind any Dwarf at their backs, they’re already in the depot and there’s no way I can get myself through the storm or stow away on one of their wagons.

Guess I’m in this hole to the bitter end.

19th Moonstone

Spoiler: Ooo, Shiny! (click to show/hide)

Captain of the Guard got a fey mood about a week ago. Ran around screaming about bones, logs, cut gems, and everything but the metal in the depths. It was damned lucky that the Ice Giant caravans brought some animals for sale with them. The Captain got the bones, and today (that is, the 26th) we get a new artefact. Or, more likely, another asset to sell off in this whole mess.

4th Opal

The justice system in the fortress is a complete mess. Two dozen unsolved cases of criminal behaviour, at least, and many of them without a single witness. Urist (that psycho miner) and the Broker’s names keep showing up, with quite the little rap sheet for each of them – mostly disorderly behaviour and the occasional assault-turned-murder when one of them lost their temper.

I’ve dealt with that now. The Captain looked disturbingly eager when I said to ‘deal with them as you see fit’, though… here’s hoping she has some level of restraint. Failing all else, I can blame whatever happens on her overzealousness.

8th Opal
Spoiler: Oops? (click to show/hide)

The Broker is dead – the Captain, it seems, got a little too enthusiastic with her beatings and broke the Broker’s spine. Can’t say I’m shedding any tears, what with how much of a headache she was. The body is already being sent to the atom smasher, of course.

26th Obsidian

The Ice Giant caravan brought with it more than gems and animals and whatnot – they brought news, and if what their trader told me is anywhere near right, the company may be about to get beaten down harder than the old Broker. The Boss’ apparently taken emergency leave for ‘personal reasons’ or some dung like that, and the Board is either following suit or dumping their positions as fast as legally possible. The share price’s falling harder than Koganusân Inc. and Udibgovos Corp’s did, damn it!

There’s no chance that I can get out of here now. Not without looking guilty as sin. All I can hope for – and it’s a damned slim hope; they’ll blame it on the rank-and-file, mark my words – is that whatever or whoever tackles this drops the hammer on the Board and the rest of the Management.

God help us all.

Save: https://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=15276
« Last Edit: October 28, 2020, 03:46:18 pm by Quantum Drop »

delphonso

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: October 26, 2020, 06:38:13 pm »

Well done, Quantum Drop - I'll take a look at this tonight and start working on the final post. Thanks everyone for participating in this spooky venture!

Now, how to end this fort right...

nogoodnames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: October 26, 2020, 08:18:17 pm »

Ender is still alive somehow. This is a grave oversight and must be corrected at once!
Life is, in a word, volcanoes.
                        - Random human lord
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 15