Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Unofficial mod pack thread for Minecraft (thread renamed)  (Read 4196 times)

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
Re: Unofficial mod pack thread for Minecraft (thread renamed)
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2020, 03:19:47 am »

All my students only play Minecraft as a free MOBA

This combination of words, right there, hurt me right in the soul.
Until now I didn't even know souls could hurt.

And yeah, what the others said. Updating the old mods to 1.13+ more often then not requires almost a complete rewrite, so quite a lot of modders just dropped their projects.
Though I have also seen a few who decided to use the time "earned" during corona lockdowns to get back into it. The guy who made Ars Magica (my favorite magic mod) is one of those who returned.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2020, 03:58:15 pm »

Note also that most of the player-base today are on mobile - which doesn't support modding, or at least not well and that Roblox sort of took some of the thunder away from the modded experience. All my students only play Minecraft as a free (I'm in China) MOBA thanks to servers and command-blocks as slowdraw said.

Anyway, anybody got a light/laptop pack which they recommend? I'm not particularly in it for the slow tech-crawl up the chain. I more just want a different experience than vanilla to mill about in and build a nice house.

Here is a list of (some) mod packs with a (short description of them. And if they are light/medium/heavy usage (heavy usage meaning needing a powerful PC)

https://www.reddit.com/r/feedthebeast/comments/j66mlm/the_answer_to_what_pack_should_i_play_fall_2020/

Might come in handy for others too.

Though I dunno how much your laptop has for ram. But a lot of minecraft packs want at least 8gb of ram. Maybe a "light" pc usage pack doesn't need as much. Maybe 4gb would be okay on mods considered "light" in that link. Though if you only have 8gb, can't set minecraft to use all 8gb of course. I set technic launcher to use 10gb of ram for minecraft myself (which requires 64bit java, if on technic launcher don't see it as an option to use more ram, it means you have 32bit java installed). You'll have to uninstall all versions of java and then install the 64bit version. For other launchers, there is some launch command you can use to set minecraft to use more ram.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 04:01:55 pm by The_Explorer »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2020, 04:23:02 am »

Wow, that's an amazing list, good job.

Edit: some of the older packs should be in 1.6.4 category, not 1.7.1.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 04:25:26 am by Blue_Dwarf »
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

amjh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 05, 2020, 01:29:59 pm »

I've tried GT Horizons, it's mostly good but there are a few frustrating things. One issue is that some of the mods are poorly integrated, with a lot of overlap, often messing up recipes. Does anyone know if they're working on that? I couldn't find much information on the development anywhere.
The truly amazing thing for me here is that a 6 page thread can be created of exceedingly high quality, simply because a group of manic depressive, schizophrenic midgets were able to milk a cow.
Argblarg 5 am not all tiles are done what the

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 05, 2020, 03:24:48 pm »

I've tried GT Horizons, it's mostly good but there are a few frustrating things. One issue is that some of the mods are poorly integrated, with a lot of overlap, often messing up recipes. Does anyone know if they're working on that? I couldn't find much information on the development anywhere.

You wouldn't like the one I'm trying now :P

https://sites.google.com/view/omega-adventure-pack

Its legit broken. Not really in a game crashing way (though it does crash if you don't assign minecraft 12gb of ram...not joking...if it needs anymore as I progress then it means a pc needs 32-64gb of ram to play it rofl). I have 16gb of ram, so I can't assign anything else cause can't use my entire pc of ram for minecraft. At 10gb assigned it was running out.

But its literally like if you took one of those church or mosque mosiac windows, shattered it and put the pieces randomly back in place...thats legit the mod.

"oooo apple seeds*"
*grows apple trees*
"WTF ITS RAINING APPLES, GOLDEN APPLES AND WEIRD MAGIC APPLES"
"Guess I'll never go hungry"
*throws magic apple like a grenade*
"WTF"
*a city block sized tree appears and is as tall as mt everest"
"WTF"
*climbs the tree, makes it halfway*
*runs away as its too scary with all the monsters*

And not really anything is explained. And the monsters are more BS than RLcraft and that DDS mod pack (dungeons, dragons and space shuttles). Had a praying mantis fly at my house, fly over my fence and repeatedly kill me over and over.

I make it sound bad. But there is good parts. It has literally 40 new dimensions to explore, and the exploration is bar none the best exploration pack. When you start, one of the books acts as a guide and if follow the book, you actually start as a "nomad" and have to survive on grass and finding insects in the grass. The start is probably the most unique start of any mod pack I've played for minecraft.

But parts of the mod are just so OP. And some of it doesn't make sense because I'm pretty sure the creator just got every mod he liked, put them together and tweaked them to make it work. And ignoring the insane ram requirement, its not the worst mod I've played. Its actually pretty good, its just everything crammed together makes it funny lol. Its not a serious mod, so don't go in expecting a serious mod.

Parts of it I definitely like more than GT New Horizon. You brought up the recipe part. The recipes aren't changed to be dumb in omega. I'm still ticked that the fence recipe is WRONG in GT and have no idea how to make a simple fence. I guess have to make an overly complicated one that requires special tools. And the simple fence that shows up as a recipe got removed, but still see the recipe. That is pretty annoying. It isn't hard to make a stupid simple basic wooden fence, I can do it in real life and I suck at that stuff. I don't need special tools to make a dumb stupid fence. I guess its a dumb reason to be annoyed, and the mod is supposed to be super complicated. But if it shows a simple fence being allowed to be made, it should be allowed to be made, not half-removed from the game. I'm guessing like the person I quoted said, the mods overlapped and broke the stupid fence recipe making it require a stupidely complicated simple fence...and if the fence is that broken, how many other recipes are also broken? I love complicated/big mods, but thats just dumb.

I also like omega adventure for its exploration potential like I said, and while its a crockpot of a bunch of mods that have no synergy with each other, it does offer a lot of content. And the content that is there isn't actually broken (in a buggy way) from what I've seen, just some of its OP (like apple trees raining infinite apples and golden apples like its a rain storm of apples). Plus some of the mobs are BS, not too different than RLcraft in that way.

I'm on the fence though between staying with omega, or just staying with GT (not likely as I describe below) and progressing more in that mod or just finding a different mod all together.

Though outside the fence thing, which is probably kinda minor. My biggest problem with GT is because nights are so dark, if you aren't in a bed or have a bed...you literally can't do anything. And making beds is super hard (mostly because of stupid fences that it needs...). So I play on my phone while night goes by. At that point, what is the point of playing the mod if half the time I'm letting it run unable to do anything. Also I'm positive they sped up day time, it feels like day passes VERY fast in GT. maybe its an illusion effect because you can see the time/date, but omega feels like I can do a lot more in the day than I can in GT and I can still do stuff in omega at night.

Also in omega, you can to a dimension of an ant colony and a dimension of a termite colony. How cool is that :D

Anyway it sounds like this post is a rant, its not actually besides my rant about the fence recipe in GT horizons being broken and nights making the mod unplayable. The other stuff is just info/funny like the apple tree part in the beginning of the post :P
« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 03:29:17 pm by The_Explorer »

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 05, 2020, 03:39:23 pm »

Since the above seemed a little ranty (it isn't actually besides my quips of GT, but I can see how it seems)...

In Omega Adventures, this is what I've discovered.

The first chest I looted had a portal gun. Yes a portal gun. THAT portal gun. I opened two portals, one at my house and one in a dungeon and can teleport between them.

Got killed over and over and over and over and over x 38 times by a flying praying mantis.

Learned there is an ant colony dimension. How cool is that? Also termite dimension...never see that in games...

You also technically start as a nomad if you follow one of the book guides. There isn't actually quests like GT Horizon has that rewards stuff, creator said he is working on adding that. Mod was last updated 3 months ago (9 months before that, so a 6 month gap, so its actually pretty up to date and active compared to other mod packs I listed in this thread), so hopefully an actual quest line gets put in. In any case. First have to forage for this beetle thing in grass. Use that beetle to make some kinda sticky beetle stick that is then used to find more beetles. Quite a few different beetles to find. Some you find in clay, some in grass, some in melons, some in leaves of trees...you can then later make a nest to put the beetles in. One of the beetles acts as a turret (don't ask) and rapid fires at monsters as long as they have access to food.

You know the apples you start with? use one or two to make seeds, get 6 seeds from each apple. Don't need more than 12 trees because ITS RAINING APPLES! HALLELUJAH ITS RAINING APPLES! GOLDEN APPLES FOR EVERYONE! FOR YOU! ME! YOU AS WELL! APPLES FOR ALL! I wish food was this easy to get in real life.

Sometimes a magic apple drops from a tree. Yeah, be careful where you use it...it makes a mt everest sized tree. And it lags the game like hell, one reason I had to put minecraft to use 12gb of my 16gb of ram...do NOT use a 2nd magic apple cause you'll probably break the game. Don't do that. Throw that magic apple into the abyss, destroy it, don't use it. Unless you put it super far away that it doesn't load at your home base...but even one tree almost broke my game...I mean it is a mt everest sized tree...

The beetles I talked about can do all kinds of stuff. Can make a beetle hoe (yes), and it makes giant farmland. But I haven't made it yet, need string. Also the nests I talked about, there is more nests than just the turret beetle nest. One helps farmland grow, another spreads mushrooms (I think), and one gathers stuff that drops around it. Then a few other beetles do stuff. Quite unique.

And that is where I have left off in my game and what I've learned of Omega adventure pack.

(oh yeah to add...)

I had a very scary experience with the mod.

So here I am traveling through a forest. Suddenly see cut trees and wood everywhere. so I go "sweet I need wood". I start collecting it all and right behind me I hear a super loud chainsaw. I didn't even look to see what or who it was, I got the hell out of there. That was scarier than most horror games I've played lol.

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 06:44:29 pm by The_Explorer »

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 05, 2020, 04:23:09 pm »

Don't want to spam the thread with three posts in a row, but one was a little ranty and the post above was getting long. I'll wait to post again after a few days or so unless others reply.

But if someone wants to see Omega Adventure in play, this is a up to date playlist (video of omega uploaded just an hour ago)...keep in mind, his pc is actually worse than mine, so early on he crashes a lot, I never had that problem till spawning the mt everest sized tree (the crashing goes away eventually for him, and game/world stabilizes after it runs a bit actually), and he runs the mod pretty well. The mod pack is super intensive though

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLGwn4lj-_xZf43IialthbtBMe_Am9TbH9

It has 11 parts to it

If you don't want to see him die over and over, you can skip to part 2 I think it is he dies less, maybe part 3. I think its one or two parts where he just dies over and over lol

(edit: Here is another let's play. Its the original one that started the series and got the mod (kinda) popular. Though its not as informative and seems a bit memey in the first episode, but you can see what he does and what the mod looks like. It is the first series that did anything for omega adventure, so figure I'll link it. The youtuber won't be everyones cup of tea, but he is kinda funny to me. And toward end of episode one, you can see some cool stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yY1lIV4AyBk&list=PLdZm-L5qiaH-_peoKvJjeyT5YqhcLf6rl

« Last Edit: November 05, 2020, 07:54:55 pm by The_Explorer »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 06, 2020, 02:24:52 am »

Got a bed finally in GT Horizons. I had to "steal" the fence behind the house I'm in to make it (I guess to be the bed "frame). But I don't understand how to actually make fences. I think the recipe that shows up on how to make it is wrong and it must be different than how it normally is.
Fences work fine for me (3 planks vertically with 6 sticks on the sides). Which version of GT Horizons are you using?

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 06, 2020, 02:36:27 am »

Got a bed finally in GT Horizons. I had to "steal" the fence behind the house I'm in to make it (I guess to be the bed "frame). But I don't understand how to actually make fences. I think the recipe that shows up on how to make it is wrong and it must be different than how it normally is.
Fences work fine for me (3 planks vertically with 6 sticks on the sides). Which version of GT Horizons are you using?

Whatever the latest is on technic launcher. Shows it as 2.0.9.0?

I am going to guess it isn't a crafting table (the one you first make with the first ever wood), but I didn't know what shapeless crafting meant. Cause I looked at the recipe and it shows it as shapeless crafting. I tried googling it and maybe my google skills are bad, but I couldn't find what was required. Unless that is it, then its wonky for me for some reason. And I didn't add or remove mods. Maybe I'm too noob at the complex stuff (I'd be able to figure it out though), but the quests led me to believe it was still early in the game I could make fences.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 02:43:28 am by The_Explorer »

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 06, 2020, 02:56:05 am »

I am going to guess it isn't a crafting table (the one you first make with the first ever wood), but I didn't know what shapeless crafting meant. Cause I looked at the recipe and it shows it as shapeless crafting. I tried googling it and maybe my google skills are bad, but I couldn't find what was required. Unless that is it, then its wonky for me for some reason. And I didn't add or remove mods. Maybe I'm too noob at the complex stuff (I'd be able to figure it out though), but the quests led me to believe it was still early in the game I could make fences.
I'm also on 2.0.9.0 and the recipe is shaped crafting (and I did it with a crafting table) so I don't know what's going on with your installation. I'm using Curse with Twitch if that has anything to do with it.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: November 06, 2020, 03:03:38 am »

I'm also on 2.0.9.0 and the recipe is shaped crafting (and I did it with a crafting table) so I don't know what's going on with your installation. I'm using Curse with Twitch if that has anything to do with it.

That could be. Maybe there is something with the technic version. Or maybe something went weird with the install...or...maybe its just my computer.

I'll try the twitch version, hopefully my save still works. I see the save in the save folder, so hopefully I can just transfer it over.

(update)

I ended up reinstalling the mod on technic launcher. Started a new world and can make fences properly. I think my save was corrupt for some reason or something weird happened with the install.

Weird problem. Cause I could craft everything else normally as far as recipes I looked at.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2020, 04:13:09 am by The_Explorer »

Blue_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 06, 2020, 07:36:11 am »

Was it vanilla wood? Some recipes don't work in some modpacks when you use modded wood.
Crafting Statistics 42.06Farming Statistics

Blue Dwarf has been happy lately. He did some !!science!! recently. He admired a fine forum post lately. He was enraged by a forum troll recently. He was upset by the delayed release of the new version of Dwarf Fortress lately. He took joy in planning a noble's death recently.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2020, 01:24:55 pm »

Was it vanilla wood? Some recipes don't work in some modpacks when you use modded wood.

yeah, vanilla wood. I used oak wood like I did before. Kinda weird glitch, but at least figured it out.

The_Explorer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2020, 08:53:10 pm »

Turns out, I had a bunch of broken recipes in my previous GT world. There was one for storage chests and thought I was doing something wrong and needed better crafting tables, but turns out it was just glitched.

With that said. After playing with a bunch of packs, gonna stay with GT Horizon. Its my favorite one, and the quests (and sorta the achievements) act as a nice guide. Plus it will offer long-term gameplay.

Iä! RIAKTOR!

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 07, 2020, 03:10:18 pm »

Who can make mod for minecraft that contain all non-generated non-mundane (i.e. non real world) DF creatures and plants?
Pages: 1 [2] 3