Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: armor for wolf men fits dorfs and weighs a bit less  (Read 4017 times)

Vincie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
armor for wolf men fits dorfs and weighs a bit less
« on: May 30, 2021, 08:24:57 am »

took a look at http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:List_of_creatures_by_adult_size, found out that you can craft armor and clothing for humans and dorfs alike, useful if you get many human visitors who want to become citizens. whenever you craft armor/clothing via the manager hit d for details and search hyenna or cougar men for the size. on the other hand wolf men are smaller than dorfs but their armor still fits, the wiki states emu men should fit too, but it's not true for me as it states ingame in the manager screen that the armor then is actually small.

crafted one masterwork set in iron for both dorfs and wolf men then put each item on a pedestal to easily find it. the weights are this (hope text scales properly, writing on mobile)

item wolf/dorf

helm 6/7

b.plate 14/16

m.shirt 16/19

greaves 19/22

leggings 19/22

1x gauntet 1/1 guess it can't go lower than 1

1xhighboot 2/3

so with a full iron set with 2 gauntlets and high boots you've a weight of 80 in wolfman sized armor and 94 for dorf's fit. Crafting a mail shirt still took 2 bars for the wolfman size. I guess mil dorf recruits with bad armor skill could profit a bit from lesser weight and ofc the fact that once you get many human citizens you don't have to create different armor sizes.

wolf men = lighter armor

hyenna/cougar men = armor that fits dorfs and humies

edit stupid mobile browser formating

posted it on reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/nnvr26/armor_for_wolf_men_fits_dorfs_and_weighs_a_bit/

guy said i should post here too, can toady explain how iarmour sizes work exactly?

Bumber

• Bay Watcher
  • REMOVE KOBOLD
    • View Profile
Re: armor for wolf men fits dorfs and weighs a bit less
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2021, 11:18:27 pm »

Armor being lighter isn't necessarily a good thing. Higher mass helps resist transfer of force, IIRC.

Toady's exact words:
It looks like 6/7 < size < 8/7 are the limits.

That means the size limits for dwarves should be 51429 to 68570 (not 50002 to 69998 as the size page implies.) Either there's a bug or something's misunderstood if 52500 is too small.

Does it work the other way where 52500*8/7 = 60000, and that would have to result in 60001 to be worn? That is, 52501 could be the minimum size for dwarves? Then the largest size would be like 69999 or 70002. Someone's going to have to mod creatures to test.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2021, 11:37:06 pm by Bumber »
Reading his name would trigger it. Thinking of him would trigger it. No other circumstances would trigger it- it was strictly related to the concept of Bill Clinton entering the conscious mind.

THE xTROLL FUR SOCKx RUSE WAS A........... DISTACTION        the carp HAVE the wagon

A wizard has turned you into a wagon. This was inevitable (Y/y)?

Vincie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 01:38:32 am »

cool, thx for answer. so hyenna/cougar man sized armor is actually better for expirienced armor user dorfs because the extra weight give more protection (unless it candy armor ofc)?

anewaname

• Bay Watcher
  • The mattock... My choice for problem solving.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 08:59:27 am »

I have a suspicion about creatures wearing armor fitted for another type of creature; it might have horrible combat modifiers.

If you try to imagine it, a wolfman might have a longer torso, narrower shoulders, longer neck, and shorter legs, and those legs might bend differently, so a dwarf wearing that armor might have many problems walking, moving their arms, turning their head, etc.

If you were coding for this, you might put in a formula modifier like "if the armor is fitted for another race, reduce the effective quality of the armor for all rolls", or "multiple all armor-related rolls by 80%".

This is just a guess...
How did I manage to successfully apply the lessons of The Screwtape Letters to my perceptions of big grocery stores?
     and
If you're going to kill me, I'm allowed to scream.

Vincie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2021, 10:05:35 am »

I have a suspicion about creatures wearing armor fitted for another type of creature; it might have horrible combat modifiers.

If you try to imagine it, a wolfman might have a longer torso, narrower shoulders, longer neck, and shorter legs, and those legs might bend differently, so a dwarf wearing that armor might have many problems walking, moving their arms, turning their head, etc.

If you were coding for this, you might put in a formula modifier like "if the armor is fitted for another race, reduce the effective quality of the armor for all rolls", or "multiple all armor-related rolls by 80%".

This is just a guess...

can toady clarify this?

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2021, 01:05:40 pm »

This is just a guess...

can toady clarify this?
It's a good question for the FotF thread (he'll probably not read this one) http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.0. He answers questions from the last month at the start of the new one, so you've got ½-2 days before the next one is due...

However, I don't think that's the case, since you'd really want to know you're using gobbo or elven armor rather than dwarven one if it was. The mismatch is probably caused by something else, but it definitely doesn't hurt to ask.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2021, 01:07:17 pm by PatrikLundell »

Vincie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2021, 02:48:49 pm »

This is just a guess...

can toady clarify this?
It's a good question for the FotF thread (he'll probably not read this one) http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.0. He answers questions from the last month at the start of the new one, so you've got ½-2 days before the next one is due...

However, I don't think that's the case, since you'd really want to know you're using gobbo or elven armor rather than dwarven one if it was. The mismatch is probably caused by something else, but it definitely doesn't hurt to ask.

ok thx

DwarfStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2021, 10:32:17 am »

I can report that this definitely works with non-military clothing, completely solving the problem of sartorial inventory management when you have humans in your fortress. I made a set of hyena men clothes, and both the humans and the dwarfs are using it. Excellent. I think I will make all of my clothing sized for hyena men from now on, even in future games when I don't have humans in the fort yet. Thanks for the tip!

I'm still making large and non-large armor for my military, though, until we hear officially that there is no penalty. I usually have to micro manage my military gear anyways for various other reasons.

Vincie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2021, 02:38:43 pm »

I can report that this definitely works with non-military clothing, completely solving the problem of sartorial inventory management when you have humans in your fortress. I made a set of hyena men clothes, and both the humans and the dwarfs are using it. Excellent. I think I will make all of my clothing sized for hyena men from now on, even in future games when I don't have humans in the fort yet. Thanks for the tip!

I'm still making large and non-large armor for my military, though, until we hear officially that there is no penalty. I usually have to micro manage my military gear anyways for various other reasons.

toady answered here http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=169696.4020