Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 69

Author Topic: Twitter is Dead, Long Live X!  (Read 53360 times)

Great Order

• Bay Watcher
  • [SCREAMS_INTERNALLY]
    • View Profile
Re: I deleted twitter and you should too
« Reply #705 on: July 02, 2023, 12:41:56 pm »

Bigots do be bigoted.
I may have wasted all those years
They're not worth their time in tears
I may have spent too long in darkness
In the warmth of my fears

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: July 02, 2023, 12:59:11 pm »

Oh heck I forgot to even mention how devastating the lack of embeds are.

I *get* that letting Discord etc scrape from Twitter is a burden on the servers (whether they have all their servers now or not).  But it was what enticed me on to Twitter.  The model is for interesting people to post, those posts to get shared, and that brings people to the site and the app to view ads.  or pay I guess

Cutting expenses is a really bad sign when those expenses were crucial to revenue.  Much like Reddit, I'd guess that most Twitter revenue came from non-users or casual users.  Keyboard warrior reply-people (me and my foes) weren't the reliable income.  The dumbasses who subscribed weren't either.

It was the ubiquity as a platform for extra-fresh news and diverse commentary (good and bad).  And that was already dead, but now it's thoroughly axed up.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: July 02, 2023, 01:32:26 pm »

Don't forget its all about rapid prototyping. They already changed the limit several times, there could adaptation to various mechanics or how we use the twitter, but overall I doubt that this will be a barrier anymore than the SpaceX pad issue would prevent us from reaching the moon again

Let me rephrase, this isn't affecting me, and I suspect it does/would not affect most people.
That'd be really unusual, because it's been hitting a ton of people really hard since it started. The specific implementation is so shit folks are hitting the rate limit sometimes in minutes, just in the process of normal usage.
There are always people online affected, I haven't encountered any issues, have you?

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: July 02, 2023, 01:35:59 pm »

People were barely posting, even to be bigoted at me, when I popped in to check the details on that report.

What a transparent argument though :P  Sorry friend, Elon's check isn't going to cash.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: July 02, 2023, 03:28:12 pm »

There are always people online affected, I haven't encountered any issues, have you?
Embeds ("cannot connect") and the entire site ("something has gone wrong!") was utterly broken for me all of yesterday, and I haven't bothered to even try today, so yes, there's been issues for me specifically ::)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • "Lest he be compelled to labor."
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: July 02, 2023, 04:04:04 pm »

It's prevented me from ending up on twitter from discord, so it's impacted me (strongly positively)
It is good to choose your battles. It is better to choose your wars.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: July 02, 2023, 04:28:00 pm »

I've been skeptical of reports of twitters death for a while as well jipehog, just because I feel like even if it gets continually worse there's a lot of inertia in peoples use of it, and I fully believed it was possible that Elon could make dumb ass move after dumb ass move and eventually fail his way to success off that inertia, at least long enough to maybe recoup some of his investment in it (especially if it's to be believed that investments in twitter are not always made by parties to make a profit directly from twitter, but just to use it's power in the social media space). But with this latest one I feel like destroying your business model in a hasty attempt to implement a new one is a pretty clear sign of desperation, no two ways about it, and I think somewhat recontextualizes past moves. It's been impossible to tell for a while if changes to twitter would help or hurt Elon in the long term, but I can't see why anyone would rate limit access to a advertising platform unless they were seriously hurting. It is, at best, desperately risky.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: July 02, 2023, 05:04:24 pm »

I don't understand his business model and how the recent temporary change plays into that? not I have any inkling of the data\trends invovled.

I do know that Musk stated plan is to turn into a superapp X in a few years. That becoming a payments processor has a lot of potential income.. and that this will also allow an alternative method to verify users.  I also know that there are people who like to bitch about anything involving Musk.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: July 02, 2023, 05:17:53 pm »

I don't understand his business model and how the recent temporary change plays into that? not I have any inkling of the data\trends invovled.

I do know that Musk stated plan is to turn into a superapp X in a few years. That becoming a payments processor has a lot of potential income.. and that this will also allow an alternative method to verify users.  I also know that there are people who like to bitch about anything involving Musk.

Twitter is making most of its money from advertisements and it will be the case for many years to come. That silly Twitter Blue thing is a drop in the bucket. And all those future potential plans are... typical potential Musk's future plans aka empty hype.

He promised stuff like fully autonomous cars in 2019  with claims like millions of robotaxis on the roads. Most Musk's promises either never materialize into anything or arrive many years later than promised.

jipehog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: July 02, 2023, 05:42:01 pm »

Twitter is making most of its money from advertisements and it will be the case for many years to come.
What is the data/trend there in light of the competition and what is the income potential from becoming a payments processor?

That silly Twitter Blue thing is a drop in the bucket.
I think that the reason for this and other measure is to increase number of users. People who use twitter for more than just host stuff and quick embed (didn't we see some problem with imgur recently)

He promised stuff like fully autonomous cars in 2019  with claims like millions of robotaxis on the roads.
I would argue that hype is part of the job description for many of these multi national execs, you could get hang up on that like most people who kneejerk to Musk anything or give credit to Tesla contribution to EV race in USA and move on

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: July 02, 2023, 05:59:55 pm »

Are we not allowed to judge someone for making patently ridiculous promises?
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: July 02, 2023, 09:05:57 pm »

No, only praise their questionable successes.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: July 02, 2023, 10:30:39 pm »

What is the data/trend there in light of the competition and what is the income potential from becoming a payments processor?

What data exactly are you looking for? A quick google search has lead me to info implying that 90% of twitters revenue comes from advertisements, and I'd argue that even the services that are the other 10% are based on selling some form of access to its common users, the ones displaced from this change.

"what is the income potential from becoming a payments processor?" How is that relevant? Twitter isn't one, Musks ambitions can be great or stupid, but it seems irrelevant, why would he need to destroy twitters current revenues to make this a reality? And if it is necessary, why wouldn't he wait until he was actually making that switch successfully to do it?

I think that the reason for this and other measure is to increase number of users.

How is making people unable to use a service going to increase the number of users of that service?

I would argue that hype is part of the job description for many of these multi national execs,

This isn't really important, but that can be the role such a person could take self evidently, but considering how many people he's turned against him, I'd question if he's even doing a good job at that, if that is his appointed role in his companies. It's only anecdotal but most people I know who have or want electric cars are the people who are most opposed to Elons brand of politics, and his coming out  as a right wing sorta nutcase over the last few years has completed soured them on Teslas and made them get or move their considerations over to other brands. I'm sure he's gained fans in certain audiences, but do they buy electric cars at a rate high enough to offset the negative effects he is having? Serious question that, I have no idea, but I do find it doubtful.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #718 on: July 02, 2023, 10:58:34 pm »

On CEOs being glorified hype guys, Elizabeth Holmes was imprisoned for that.

Pretty sure Musk has also been fined by the SEC for that, too.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Strongpoint

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: July 02, 2023, 11:49:56 pm »

On CEOs being glorified hype guys, Elizabeth Holmes was imprisoned for that.

Trevor Milton is another good example. I fail to understand why lies about Nicola truck are fraud, while lies about Tesla truck or Tesla autopilot are not.
They ought to be pitied! They are already on a course for self-destruction! They do not need help from us. We need to redress our wounds, help our people, rebuild our cities!
Pages: 1 ... 46 47 [48] 49 50 ... 69